[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Hav eyou exposed the server directly to the Internet or do you have it in the DMZ? If yes please revert this imediately!

Your first syslog is full of login attempts.

I don't think that's what made it to work, please try a the latest production branch and it should work to, have you changed anything in your BIOS? Seems like Above 4G Decoding isn't turned on in your BIOS.

Looking at it yes, that was me. My server managment computer is 10.20.1.3 on the local network and i was just smashing f5

5 minutes ago, CGRFC1872 said:

Server isnt in a DMZ, the login attempts might have been me as i was constantly spamming it very scared it had just broken.

But your system log is full of them, that many requests can't be spamed by you...

Are you sure that you don't have exposed port 22 or something like that?

I've not changed anything in the bios since i got the server in 2017 its litreally been since last night its had this issue after i updated due to getting a message saying there was a new nvidia driver

That is really strange, the driver works on my system just fine.

Can you try to upgrade once more? To what driver version did you upgrade?

3 minutes ago, CGRFC1872 said:

Looking at it yes, that was me. My server managment computer is 10.20.1.3 on the local network and i was just smashing f5

Are you really sure, it starts here:

Jan 22 00:31:44 homesrv nginx: 2022/01/22 00:31:44 [error] 7324#7324: *204 limiting requests, excess: 20.896 by zone "authlimit", client: 10.20.1.3, server: , request: "GET /login HTTP/2.0", host: "homesrv.local", referrer: "https://homesrv.local/Dashboard"

and ends here:

Jan 22 06:16:53 homesrv nginx: 2022/01/22 06:16:53 [error] 7324#7324: *95117 limiting requests, excess: 20.571 by zone "authlimit", client: 10.20.1.3, server: , request: "GET /login HTTP/2.0", host: "homesrv.local", referrer: "https://homesrv.local/Tools/Update"

You smashed the button for about 6 hours... :D

18 minutes ago, ich777 said:

But your system log is full of them, that many requests can't be spamed by you...

Are you sure that you don't have exposed port 22 or something like that?

That is really strange, the driver works on my system just fine.

Can you try to upgrade once more? To what driver version did you upgrade?

Are you really sure, it starts here:

Jan 22 00:31:44 homesrv nginx: 2022/01/22 00:31:44 [error] 7324#7324: *204 limiting requests, excess: 20.896 by zone "authlimit", client: 10.20.1.3, server: , request: "GET /login HTTP/2.0", host: "homesrv.local", referrer: "https://homesrv.local/Dashboard"

and ends here:

Jan 22 06:16:53 homesrv nginx: 2022/01/22 06:16:53 [error] 7324#7324: *95117 limiting requests, excess: 20.571 by zone "authlimit", client: 10.20.1.3, server: , request: "GET /login HTTP/2.0", host: "homesrv.local", referrer: "https://homesrv.local/Tools/Update"

You smashed the button for about 6 hours... :D

Definetely not got any exposed ports. But i do have a firefox auto refresh lol i honestly have no clue why it done this then.

it updated to v510.39.01 but that wasnt the issue. The CA Autoupdate plugin was causing most of the webui not to work so i had to boot into safemode and remove what i thought was the problem (CA auto Update and nvidia driver) the nvidia driver wasnt the issue just auto update as when i reisntalled server went back into same state. but since that i couldnt get the gpu to show on latest nvidia driver. i will try updating driver

Just now, CGRFC1872 said:

Definetely not got any exposed ports. But i do have a firefox auto refresh lol i honestly have no clue why it done this then.

it updated to v510.39.01 but that wasnt the issue. The CA Autoupdate plugin was causing most of the webui not to work so i had to boot into safemode and remove what i thought was the problem (CA auto Update and nvidia driver) the nvidia driver wasnt the issue just auto update as when i reisntalled server went back into same state. but since that i couldnt get the gpu to show on latest nvidia driver. i will try updating driver

adding onto that. i was never running on latest branch though. always prodcution so seems peculiar to me that it would have upgraded?

always prodcution so seems peculiar to me that it would have upgraded?

Maybe something went wrong with the update check or some kind of weired thing happend on the server and triggered the update check again, maybe try again to upgrade to the latest production branch again.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

Maybe something went wrong with the update check or some kind of weired thing happend on the server and triggered the update check again, maybe try again to upgrade to the latest production branch again.

Updated to production and back to gpu not being shown? i'm going to go into the bios and see if above 4g decoding is even a thing on my server

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

May I ask if you can test a few differnt drivers and see which one is working and which not? That is also very strange since the driver works just fine on my server.

Yeah, i sure can. I'm going to go up with my laptop to the server and look in the bios and do a bit of looking into the settings

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please share your Diagnostics when this is happening, you can also get Diagnostics when you issue 'diagnostics' from a terminal.

Please keep in mind that this can also some kind of Hardware compatibility issue in combination with the driver.

Yeah,

there must be something going wrong somewhere. But its a bit strange all of the unraid web ui components fail to load and php stops working on it on the latest driver installed.

homesrv-diagnostics-20220122-1303.zip

29 minutes ago, CGRFC1872 said:

there must be something going wrong somewhere.

Please remove all files/scripts that modify the driver, by the way this violates the EULA and is not supported by me or anyone here on the forums.

30 minutes ago, CGRFC1872 said:

php stops working on it on the latest driver installed

Yes, because the driver causes a Kernel Panic.

16 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please remove all files/scripts that modify the driver, by the way this violates the EULA and is not supported by me or anyone here on the forums.

Yes, because the driver causes a Kernel Panic.

Removed the script same issue.  i'm just going to swap back to the older driver that seems to work for

So TLDR im trying to get an older card to work with this for plex video transcoding. Im on unraid 6.9.2 trying to use a gtx 420. According to nvidia it requires driver version 390.147 for linux and the lowest the docker goes to is like 470.XX. Is there any way to get the older driver setup on this? Feeling so stuck right now XD I would normally just buy a 1060 off ebay or something like that but theyre going for more than MSRP of new cards because market is cray cray right now haha

3 minutes ago, taeleus said:

Im on unraid 6.9.2 trying to use a gtx 420

Do you mean a GT420?

Anyways, NVENC (that is actually used for transcoding) was introduced with Kepler (Geforce 600 series).

So you are out of luck with getting this card to work with Plex for transcoding.

7 minutes ago, taeleus said:

I would normally just buy a 1060 off ebay or something like that but theyre going for more than MSRP of new cards because market is cray cray right now haha

I would recommend that you look out for a NVIDIA T400, you can get them brand new for about $ 120 - 140,-

This card is the successor to the Quadro P400.

This card has also the benefit that it can consume maximum 30W and does not need extra power.

What CPU do you have in your system, if you have a 7th Gen Intel CPU or newer you can also use VAAPI that is also comparable with a GTX1060 depending of what type of media that you want to transcode.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Do you mean a GT420?

Anyways, NVENC (that is actually used for transcoding) was introduced with Kepler (Geforce 600 series).

So you are out of luck with getting this card to work with Plex for transcoding.

I would recommend that you look out for a NVIDIA T400, you can get them brand new for about $ 120 - 140,-

This card is the successor to the Quadro P400.

This card has also the benefit that it can consume maximum 30W and does not need extra power.

What CPU do you have in your system, if you have a 7th Gen Intel CPU or newer you can also use VAAPI that is also comparable with a GTX1060 depending of what type of media that you want to transcode.

Thanks for the info! Looks like im SOL. I will keep my eyes peeled for the t400 cards of the sort. its a cobbled together system. Short story? its an i7-4770k.

Long story? It WAS an i7-3770 in a lenvo m92p tiny with a dark rock 4 pro slapped on top of it with 3x8tb external HDD's. I just shucked all the drives and got it all configured in unraid and working now in a proper case. 

Is it possible to pull some kind of an error log out through the drivers? I found nvidia-debugdump. But after a small google it seems that is only accessible for nvidia engineers?

The reason i'm askin is that Plex is currently unable to use my gpu, although i see nvidia-smi in the container. It gives an error when i'm using hardware transcoding. Specifically hardware transcoding. So maybe an error log should give me some insights

26 minutes ago, Little709 said:

The reason i'm askin is that Plex is currently unable to use my gpu, although i see nvidia-smi in the container.

This indicates that your Plex container has an issue and not the driver itself.

Multiple people reported similar issues and after a reinstall from the container everything started to working.

What container are you using? Have you set a proper transcoding directory in the Plex settings?

Can you post your Diagnostics?

What is the output from nvidia-smi?

Yeah i went over to the linuxserver guys, and i verified there that all the paths are okay. But for completeness, i have the linuxserver container and have tried the plexinc container, and the binhex container. All of them show the same issue, they are unable to start up the transcoding process on the GPU. Allthough jellyfin and tdarr are able. 

I've put a post up on the plex forums. But nobody has responded yet... 

https://www.toptal.com/developers/hastebin/kecilujuvo this is the plex log when HW transcoding is enabled.

This might not be your cup of tea. I understand but man... nobody has got a clue. I've reinstalled the plugin, i've remade the container, i've made entirely new containers. I've even gone and tried a whole new docker image folder.

image.png.297d68acd72aae43256a09e02e20ac90.png

tower-diagnostics-20220130-2115.zip

18 minutes ago, Little709 said:

All of them show the same issue, they are unable to start up the transcoding process on the GPU. Allthough jellyfin and tdarr are able. 

Then it has something to do with the container itself, do you have a PlexPass, make sure that it is valid because for transcoding you need it. Also make sure to enable HW transcoding in the settings from Plex, like described in the second post of this thread.

I've reinstalled the plugin

If other containers work then the plugin/driver isn't the cause of this issue.

I've even gone and tried a whole new docker image folder.

As said above that shouldn't be necessary.

Can you try to create a second Plex container, with a different name and paths and try to import a few media files and see if transcoding is working?

Maybe the log output from the transcoder will help, have you already made a post on the Linuxserver Plex support thread here on the unRAID Forums?

EDIT: Forgot to say that everything looks alright from the logs.

19 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Then it has something to do with the container itself, do you have a PlexPass, make sure that it is valid because for transcoding you need it. Also make sure to enable HW transcoding in the settings from Plex, like described in the second post of this thread.

If other containers work then the plugin/driver isn't the cause of this issue.

As said above that shouldn't be necessary.

Can you try to create a second Plex container, with a different name and paths and try to import a few media files and see if transcoding is working?

Maybe the log output from the transcoder will help, have you already made a post on the Linuxserver Plex support thread here on the unRAID Forums?

EDIT: Forgot to say that everything looks alright from the logs.

Alright so this is strange, so i go and fetch some logs, and then suddenly, a user is using hardware transcoding to watch something.... 

And then i verify, and indeed, the error is gone....

Although the error does persist when using the windows client. Which is obviously quite weird. But it seems that it's indeed not related to either the plugin or the container. Thank you for the help though..