Recommended controllers for Unraid

10 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

With 10 SATA ports, it must be using a port multipler since ASM1166 can only manage 6 ports.

I was mistaking above, ASM1061 is NOT a good option for 6 ports either, it's a 2 SATA ports controller. I'll correct my initial post (and your quote as not to induce confusion).

If you want 6 ports, select a controller that can handle 6 ports. There is not way to magically handle more without port multipler on SATA cards.

ok, thx.

i think i will buy this one which is cheaper

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/4001269633905.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2c4644d77UiQvY&algo_pvid=e6b8b850-d99d-4195-8705-f13f0ba8babc&algo_exp_id=e6b8b850-d99d-4195-8705-f13f0ba8babc-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000022790770836"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!EUR!!33.38!!!!!%402100bdd516545057507772709e0e3a!12000022790770836!sea

i bought that exact model and it fu**ed up 2 of my drives. 

First i wasnt able to stop the array and then the whole Server was inaccesable.

After some investigation on that Card, i saw that the cooler was touching some resistors because the thermalpad was too small and the Black paint was already scrached up..

Screenshot 2022-06-13 152617.png

Hi!

In trying to lower the power consumption of my unRaid server I decided to replace my 2 x 9207-8i cards with:

2 x ASM1166 PCIe x4

1 x ASM1064 PCIe x1

The 9207’s have been working flawlessly, though a bit power hungry vs the ASMs.

On first boot I had issue with the ASM1064. Decided to buy a new one. Same error. Changed PCIe slot with the neighboring Intel NIC. Great.

However. That worked for less than 24 hours… now the disk errors are in… but for 5 disks. 

I’m not sure if the errors were triggered during spinning up and down? Anyone else have similar experiences? I don’t have time to check tonight, will try and investigate tomorrow but I don’t really know where to start.

On 6/13/2022 at 7:30 AM, Meannekes said:

i bought that exact model and it fu**ed up 2 of my drives. 

First i wasnt able to stop the array and then the whole Server was inaccesable.

After some investigation on that Card, i saw that the cooler was touching some resistors because the thermalpad was too small and the Black paint was already scrached up..

Screenshot 2022-06-13 152617.png

Those generic cards are hit or miss.  The one I got from Amazon caused a CRC error on one of my drives.

Get the LSI one or a clone.

Info: 

I sprung for the LSI brand one and probably wasted money because NEC or IBM are probably just as good.  I'll just skip drinking beer for a month to make up the difference.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, trurl said:

Start a new thread in General Support and post your diagnostics.

Right, it was more of a question as to if anyone else had any problems. I figured out the errors started occurring after running powertop --auto-tune. I had the system running for maybe 12 hours, when I manually ran the command. It seems this gets them into a low power state, and they don't properly come back up (23 disks, 5 were giving read errors)? After rebooting everything is good, no powertop --auto-tune command, running for 3 days 15 hours and counting.

I will post a thread when I dare to try again, maybe someone can explain why they act the way they do. After a hike in electricity prices, I've been trying to lower the idle consumption of my server. Inspired by mgutt here and here (powertop --auto-tune)

On 6/16/2022 at 7:23 AM, HDT said:

How much power were the 9207's using in comparison to the ASM's?

So, with the 2 x 9207's, the whole system idles at 61-62w. No difference if try to optimize power consumption with powertop, like they wouldn't go into a lower power state. With 2 x 1166, 1 x 1064 I am at 42w (23 disks, 8 onboard sata). If I run powertop --auto-tune, the system idles at 31w. I did some tests with the 9207's I had when I was building the new system, to see how much power they consume, and it was far more power than I liked, and I couldn't get them to use less. I believe only CPU+mobo+RAM (bare system, nothing connected) 8w idle. Adding two 9207's, still no disks, total system idle at 24w.

I found 2 cards with the same data (from 2 different sellers) as I wrote earlier the data looks exactly the same (maybe I'm wrong .....) the prices are different, With the seller "theartofserver" the price reaches US $ 137.42 (after taxes and shipping) while with the seller "jiawen2018" the price is US $ 53.88

I would love to hear if there are any differences between the 2 cards and testimonials

Thank you for your help

Edited by Eliy1970
43 minutes ago, Eliy1970 said:

I would love to hear if there are any differences between the 2 cards

One appears to be a genuine used server pull shipped from CONUS, the other appears to be a counterfeit shipped from China, with a listing designed to deceive.

My opinion only, YMMV.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 7:57 AM, JorgeB said:

If more ports are needed you can use multiple controllers, controllers with more ports (there are 16 and 24 port LSI HBAs, like the 9201-16i, 9305-16i, 9305-24i, etc) or use one LSI HBA connected to a SAS expander, like the Intel RES2SV240 or HP SAS expander.

I'm looking towards the more ports, less cards approach and you said like the "...9305-24i, etc" what other 24 port cards can you think of off of the top of your head. the 9305-24i cards i founc are available on newegg and/or amazon but i'm not sure if I can trust the sellers and I checked Art of Server on ebay and they don't have any currently.

On 7/17/2022 at 5:30 PM, SergeantCC4 said:

what other 24 port cards can you think of off of the top of your head.

I was basically referring to any other 24 port LSI 24, if there are any, not sure there is one from the 9400 series, another option is an 8 port HBA with an expander.

9 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

I was basically referring to any other 24 port LSI 24, if there are any, not sure there is one from the 9400 series, another option is an 8 port HBA with an expander.

Couldn't that lead to bottlenecking at some point like during parity check/rebuilds? I know it's a small portion of use case and I'm being picky but I'd rather get something I can move to another case and not have to worry about newer tech capping it out.