NordVPN

15 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Sorry already tried that, it didn't work.

Sorry to hear that.  I'm not sure where to go from here.  You may have to hack at it until you figure out what is wrong ... or maybe some other more seasoned UNRAID veteran can help. 

are you sure you tried all the settings in spaceinvader1's video?  Spaceinvader1 specifically noted that the NZBGET web GUI could not be launched from the drop down list in the docker container once it has been routed thru VPN container (odd because deluge GUI can be launched without any further config) ... you had to add  the port for NZBGET & manually enter the serverIp:port# in your web browser URL to use nzbget.  ie/192.168.1.100:9898

Edited by E-ManN
typo

My nordvpn container stopped working yesterday and found out today that it's no longer maintained and I'm trying to migrate over to NordLynx container.

I'm having trouble getting my PRIVATE_KEY. It says A new version of NordVPN... Make sure your credentials are correct, and if MFA enabled verbage. My MFA is disabled and I've changed my PW multiple times already to contain only numbers and letters, then in 10 characters, then under 10 characters, tried the downgraded the original nordvpn to 3.12.3 and also tried tmknight88/nordvpn but it seems like these containers no longer can connect (maybe on nord's end?). 
I'm not too savvy with this stuff and when I initially set everything back in unRaid 6.9.2 and now 6.11, everything just ran smoothly. Any help figuring this would would be greatly appreciated!

• Upvote 1

it took me forever to in a termanl for the ">_" unraid put in " docker run --rm --cap-add=NET_ADMIN -e USER=XXX -e PASS=YYY bubuntux/nordvpn:get_private_key" with your user name and pass word but its still not working it says the same thing theres an update and wrong user name pass word i even tryed using the service credentials for manual setups and still no.

Edited by bsession1014
3 hours ago, dangitzin said:

My nordvpn container stopped working yesterday and found out today that it's no longer maintained and I'm trying to migrate over to NordLynx container.

I'm having trouble getting my PRIVATE_KEY. It says A new version of NordVPN... Make sure your credentials are correct, and if MFA enabled verbage. My MFA is disabled and I've changed my PW multiple times already to contain only numbers and letters, then in 10 characters, then under 10 characters, tried the downgraded the original nordvpn to 3.12.3 and also tried tmknight88/nordvpn but it seems like these containers no longer can connect (maybe on nord's end?). 
I'm not too savvy with this stuff and when I initially set everything back in unRaid 6.9.2 and now 6.11, everything just ran smoothly. Any help figuring this would would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, bsession1014 said:

it took me forever to in a consal for that docker put in " docker run --rm --cap-add=NET_ADMIN -e USER=XXX -e PASS=YYY bubuntux/nordvpn:get_private_key" with your user name and pass word but its still not working it says the same thing theres an update and wrong user name pass word i even tryed using the service credentials for manual setups and still no.

User and Pass no longer works with Nordvpn, at least over docker. It seems they made some changes on their servers. Now you need to go to your Nordvpn account and create a token. Then try use TOKEN="xxx".

It should work also on bubuntux/nordvpn as it is included in its "how to use" at Git. But I completely abandoned to use that repository after many constant bugs on every single update. It has been like a year that had been a pain in the ass to use it.

26 minutes ago, guillelopez said:

User and Pass no longer works with Nordvpn, at least over docker. It seems they made some changes on their servers. Now you need to go to your Nordvpn account and create a token. Then try use TOKEN="xxx".

It should work also on bubuntux/nordvpn as it is included in its "how to use" at Git. But I completely abandoned to use that repository after many constant bugs on every single update. It has been like a year that had been a pain in the ass to use it.

This doesn't work when using TOKEN with bubuntux/nordvpn:get_private_key. But if I just run bubuntux/nordvpn:latest, TOKEN works just fine, but I'm not trying to use /nordvpn. I only use it to get my private key which you can find in the logs. And then use /nordlynx. I think we have to wait until bubuntux/nordvpn:get_private_key works with Token.

I can see on nordlynx docs on GitHub that it's updated to use TOKEN instead but it doesn't work yet. Again, I think we have to wait until the container /nordvpn works with get_private_key with the use of TOKENimage.thumb.png.fd5ddd98a90aa9c08fb7b02f3f679846.png

Edited by Kloudz
12 hours ago, Mark G said:

Sorry already tried that, it didn't work.

make sure your NET_LOCAL includes your network. If your network or your ip ranges fall into for example 10.10.10.1 and NET_LOCAL is configured to use 192.168.1.0/24 then the container is not allowing your 10.10.10.1 into the container. If you add you add 10.10.10.0/24 then the container will let you in if your IP is 10.10.10.1.

image.thumb.png.04cdc45676e7c9e3595714c49faec3e4.pngin case someone needs an example, all you need to do is QUERY a country that you'd like to connect to. The id that equals 38 is Canada. There are instructions from Nord how to query their servers using API's.

Also set, Extra Parameters to "--cap-add=NET_ADMIN --sysctl net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark=1 --sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1"

Edited by Kloudz

The old NordVPN container seems to have stopped working for me so I managed to transition to the new Nordlynx container.  One thing that is bugging me though is that the icon for the docker container is not getting populated like it should.  Instead I am just seeing a grey question mark.  The old NordVPN container apparently was doing this as well over the past few months.

Is anyone else seeing the same behavior?  Is there a fix?

EDIT: I should mention that the easiest way for me to get the private key was through MacOS.  I initially tried to get it using an Ubuntu VM and I was running into too many issues.  Here is the video I followed in case anyone would like to do the same: 

Edited by misterbeetz
Added YT link for getting private key
3 hours ago, Kloudz said:

This doesn't work when using TOKEN with bubuntux/nordvpn:get_private_key. But if I just run bubuntux/nordvpn:latest, TOKEN works just fine, but I'm not trying to use /nordvpn. I only use it to get my private key which you can find in the logs. And then use /nordlynx. I think we have to wait until bubuntux/nordvpn:get_private_key works with Token.

I can see on nordlynx docs on GitHub that it's updated to use TOKEN instead but it doesn't work yet. Again, I think we have to wait until the container /nordvpn works with get_private_key with the use of TOKENimage.thumb.png.fd5ddd98a90aa9c08fb7b02f3f679846.png

how do i set up /nordvpn to work with just the token? I've added the variable TOKEN and copy/paste what generated from my account, but it still doesn't seem to work, the container will just stop after a few seconds. I'll use nordvpn or nordlynx, whichever I get to work first. I've been stuck all day fiddling around but no luck.

Luckily for me, I already had NordLynx configured before my NordVPN container crapped out. I noticed that NordLynx was still connecting to the internet using an IP address other than my own. I just migrated all my services to tunnel through NordLynx instead and everything works! Now, the catch22 is that NordLynx uses the NordVPN container to generate the private key.

The NordVPN container still doesn't work.

24 minutes ago, yujkore said:

Luckily for me, I already had NordLynx configured before my NordVPN container crapped out. I noticed that NordLynx was still connecting to the internet using an IP address other than my own. I just migrated all my services to tunnel through NordLynx instead and everything works! Now, the catch22 is that NordLynx uses the NordVPN container to generate the private key.

The NordVPN container still doesn't work.

I finally got my private key using the a vm/linux method. I'm able to access my ARRs and qbit wGUI through NordLynx but the only issue I have now is it's not connecting to the external internet. Were there any settings you set in NordLynx other than your private key?

3 hours ago, E-ManN said:

all ... I'm not sure if you seen this post but try this. Still working for me as of time of this post.

I tried this yesterday.... but I must have been so irritated of stuff not working that I messed up somewhere and it didn't work. Worked for me today though. Thanks for pointing me back to this post.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, dangitzin said:

I tried this yesterday.... but I must have been so irritated of stuff not working that I messed up somewhere and it didn't work. Worked for me today though. Thanks for pointing me back to this post.

awesome !  glad to hear it is working for you. Way to hang in there and get it done.

Again I would have never figured it out without some direction from other seasoned UNRAID users.

When I have time I will go back thru these posts and try to get NordLynx VPN working as my backup VPN.  I have been struggling to get this working but some recent posts has given me some options to try to get this VPN working.

I'm taking another run at the setup, installation and configuration of the bubuntux/nordlynx container.

If I go to apps and select the NordLynx container then enter the following parameters:

- Extra Parameters: --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --sysctl net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark=1 --sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

- Network Type: Bridge

- QUERY: filters\[country_id\]=38

- NET_LOCAL: 192.168.0.0/24

- DNS: 1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8

- Parameter - qBittorrent-6881: 6881

- Parameter - qBittorrent-8080: 8080

- PRIVATE_KEY:  <- Here's where things fall apart. I went to my account at NordVPN and generated a token however if I use this value in the PRIVATE_KEY field, the log generates a 

- Key is not the correct length or format: `***********************REDACTED***********************'
- Configuration parsing error

Then it goes on to indicate:

- [2023-04-10T15:22:38-04:00] Connecting...
- [2023-04-10T15:22:38-04:00] Connected! \(ᵔᵕᵔ)/

However, the next problem I encounter is when I open a console into the container and try to use the "curl ifconfig.io" command to get the IP address that the container is using. The curl ifconfig.io command returns:

curl: (28) Failed to connect to ifconfig.io port 80 after 261772 ms: Couldn't connect to server

I'm opened to any ideas, suggestions, guidance or input that may help. I've seem where it just seems to work for some people and others eventually get it working but I've had no luck with this whatsoever.

Strangely my nordvpn docker was working without issue until this evening when I updated my server to 6.11.5. Only issue was for the past few days it would say an update was not available. After upgrade the nordvpn docker fails to start up. Will there be an updated repository or is migrating to a new docker image the only route? This is all pretty much over my head, but the original nordvpn docker I was able to set up and maintain for over a year without any issues so I am kind of bummed!

19 hours ago, jimdaway said:

I'm taking another run at the setup, installation and configuration of the bubuntux/nordlynx container.

If I go to apps and select the NordLynx container then enter the following parameters:

- Extra Parameters: --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --sysctl net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark=1 --sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

- Network Type: Bridge

- QUERY: filters\[country_id\]=38

- NET_LOCAL: 192.168.0.0/24

- DNS: 1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8

- Parameter - qBittorrent-6881: 6881

- Parameter - qBittorrent-8080: 8080

- PRIVATE_KEY:  <- Here's where things fall apart. I went to my account at NordVPN and generated a token however if I use this value in the PRIVATE_KEY field, the log generates a 

- Key is not the correct length or format: `***********************REDACTED***********************'
- Configuration parsing error

Then it goes on to indicate:

- [2023-04-10T15:22:38-04:00] Connecting...
- [2023-04-10T15:22:38-04:00] Connected! \(ᵔᵕᵔ)/

However, the next problem I encounter is when I open a console into the container and try to use the "curl ifconfig.io" command to get the IP address that the container is using. The curl ifconfig.io command returns:

curl: (28) Failed to connect to ifconfig.io port 80 after 261772 ms: Couldn't connect to server

I'm opened to any ideas, suggestions, guidance or input that may help. I've seem where it just seems to work for some people and others eventually get it working but I've had no luck with this whatsoever.

Finally resolved this and got NordLynx container working!

Here are the steps I took:

- To obtain my NordVPN Token, I followed the process outlined here.

- Following the above, I obtained a Token

- I then opened a console in UnRAID itself and entered the following command:

docker run --rm --cap-add=NET_ADMIN -e USER='[email protected]' -e PASS='myNordVPNaccountpassword' -e TOKEN='thetokenfromNordVPN' bubuntux/nordvpn:get_private_key

- This resulted in the following:

Waiting for daemon to start up...

Welcome to NordVPN! You can now connect to VPN by using 'nordvpn connect'.

Technology is already set to 'NORDLYNX'.

Connecting to Canada #1653 (ca1653.nordvpn.com)

You are connected to Canada #1653 (ca1653.nordvpn.com)!

############################################################

IP: 10.5.0.2/32

Private Key: REDACTED

\(^O^)/

- I then used the "Private Key" value within the NordLynx container's PRIVATE_KEY variable parameter.

- Once the container was installed and running, I bashed into the container and entered: curl ifconfig.io which returned 86.48.14.182

- I copied that value and navigated to https://whatismyip.com and entered 86.48.14.182 into the search field.

- Searching that IP address returned a NordVPN server based in Canada.

- To test it, I changed the filters\[country_id\]=38 within the NordLynx container to a value of 74 (France) and restarted the container.

- Bashing into the container's console again, I executed a curl ifconfig.io and searched the resulting IP address https://whatismyip.com which returned a site in France. 

Based on the above, I believe that the container is now working.

- I then added two port fields to the container which are the two ports that qBittorrent uses.

- Then, within the advanced view of the qBittorrent parameters, I set the following:

Extra Parameters: --net=container:nordlynx

Network Type: None

Finally, to test the obfuscation of my IP address, I navigated to https://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php and copied the "Download Now" link and added a new torrent to qBittorrent using the copied link. On the torguard website, the address being broadcasted was that of the NordVPN server and NOT my actual WAN IP.

So, success. Finally. Amen.

Edited by jimdaway
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, jimdaway said:

docker run --rm --cap-add=NET_ADMIN -e USER='[email protected]' -e PASS='myNordVPNaccountpassword' -e TOKEN='thetokenfromNordVPN' bubuntux/nordvpn:get_private_key

\(^O^)/

- I then used the "Private Key" value within the NordLynx container's PRIVATE_KEY variable parameter.

- Once the container was installed and running, I bashed into the container and entered: curl ifconfig.io which returned 86.48.14.182

- I copied that value and navigated to https://whatismyip.com and entered 86.48.14.182 into the search field.

- To test it, I changed the filters\[country_id\]=38 within the NordLynx container to a value of 74 (France) and restarted the container.

- Bashing into the container's console again, I executed a curl ifconfig.io and searched the resulting IP address https://whatismyip.com which returned a site in France. 

- I then added two port fields to the container which are the two ports that qBittorrent uses.

- Then, within the advanced view of the qBittorrent parameters, I set the following:

Finally, to test the obfuscation of my IP address, I navigated to https://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php and copied the "Download Now" link and added a new torrent to qBittorrent using the copied link. On the torguard website, the address being broadcasted was that of the NordVPN server and NOT my actual WAN IP.

Thank you @jimdaway I was able to get my NordLynx functioning via your walk-through!

• Thanks 1

I was able to sort this all out - here's what I did:

1. Install tmknight88's NordLynx container by adding a new container with no template and using 'tmknight88/nordvpn' as the repo.image.thumb.png.98f7fc182ce3ebab68d33606c757e07a.png
  2. Stopped the container and added these extra parameters:  image.thumb.png.2179552f642c3076ea5587b1df59ef9e.png
  3. Added the following Environment variables as described here , your NET_LOCAL will generally be your local subnet (mine is 192.168.11.0/24).   You can generate your token via a web browser at https://my.nordaccount.com/dashboard/nordvpn/image.thumb.png.732cbd9859f5603de5c9e5d6faf24489.pngimage.png.225e9fc740864929fb1a36cb248fe37d.png
  4. Added the ports required for LAN access to the containersimage.png.a12a59b8c42393c5e539a9c43c93a078.png
  5. ???
  6. Profit
Edited by tiny-e
clean up
On 4/11/2023 at 8:34 AM, jimdaway said:

\(^O^)/

woot happy you got it resolved. I kinda ghosted everyone here, I'm sorry about that. Been very busy this week

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 2:54 AM, Gatornade said:
  On 4/11/2023 at 5:34 PM, jimdaway said:

\(^O^)/

On 4/11/2023 at 10:34 AM, jimdaway said:

Sorry for asking, but how exactly did you do this?  And where are the country IDs found?

Edit: nm, did some googling on the NordVPN API and managed to splice together a QUERY string to get me going.

Edited by Coogan2007
  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2023 at 8:34 AM, jimdaway said:

\(^O^)/

I was able to get it working with these instructions. A couple of notes of clarification if anyone is still struggling:

The PRIVATE_KEY required in the Nordlynx container is NOT the token that NordVPN gives you from your account page on the website. Run that token (from the website) through the get_private_key container as listed above which will give you the PRIVATE_KEY you need to enter into the main Nordlynx container.

It doesn't appear that the USER and PASS env variables are actually needed in that container.  It seemed to give me a private key once I entered the token properly alone.

The only thing I have left is to figure out how to better utilize the QUERY string to select a few different endpoints for convenience. If anyone has already done the work on putting a selection of country codes in, I'd be highly appreciative. There's a country code list here for those still looking: https://api.nordvpn.com/v1/servers/countries

Also, still can't get the icon working for some reason. Comes up fine in a web browser but it won't load via the docker settings in Unraid.

Edit: Replace the icon URL with (remove brackets):
[https:]//s1.nordcdn.com/nordvpn/media/1.752.0/images/global/favicon/favicon-196x196.png

Edited by Alyred