The 5X3 Cage review - Norco, SuperMicro, iStarUSA and Icy Dock


Whaler_99

470 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

What dock is this? Does anyone know? - It's to fit in a Antec 1200.

 

 

It's the Norco SS-500 hard drive cage...https://www.newegg.com/norco-ss-500-hot-swap-rack-module/p/N82E16816133030

 

**Mind you, I would never buy anything from Norco. Their customer service has gone from awful to non-existent. If you have issues with these, good luck ever getting in contact with them (they don't have an answering machine setup, they don't answer the phone, and they don't respond to emails). I ordered a part from their online store and they never delivered the item that was said to be in-stock. PayPal reimbursed me because they couldn't even get in contact with Norco. I'm about 98% sure they've actually gone out of business.

 

****If you want decent hard drive cages, go with Supermicro CSE-M35T-1B's. If those are too expensive get either the iStarUSA BPU-350SATA (BPU-350HD) or BPN-DE350SS (BPN-DE350HD). The iStarUSA cages are a little less solid than the Supermicro ones but they seem to have an active customer service and they come in trayless varieties.

Edited by ramblinreck47
Link to post
  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

UPDATE - July 12, 2011 - I created a Wiki article to allow us to pull everthing together. To add you review, go Here, click the link down under the heading "Benchmarks..." and contribute!!   Updat

I recently moved and had to find a place for my server. I settled for a closet off my living room for the server. . I have three Norco 5x3 cages in my server and have never modified them. So

These are superb units.   The front-mounted 120mm fan provides EXCELLENT ventilation ( the drives run much cooler than they do in units that have offset rear-mounted 60 or 80mm fans).   The lights can

Posted Images

It's the Norco SS-500 hard drive cage...https://www.newegg.com/norco-ss-500-hot-swap-rack-module/p/N82E16816133030
 
**Mind you, I would never buy anything from Norco. Their customer service has gone from awful to non-existent. If you have issues with these, good luck ever getting in contact with them (they don't have an answering machine setup, they don't answer the phone, and they don't respond to emails). I ordered a part from their online store and they never delivered the item that was said to be in-stock. PayPal reimbursed me because they couldn't even get in contact with Norco. I'm about 98% sure they've actually gone out of business.
 
****If you want decent hard drive cages, go with Supermicro CSE-M35T-1B's. If those are too expensive get either the iStarUSA BPU-350SATA (BPU-350HD) or BPN-DE350SS (BPN-DE350HD). The iStarUSA cages are a little less solid than the Supermicro ones but they seem to have an active customer service and they come in trayless varieties.
I am not happy with the temps in my Norco ss-500, really considering selling the four of them and buying these instead

Current temps during heavy usage almost reach 50 and its winter over here...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello

 

I have purchased 2 Supermicro CSE-M35T1 3x5 drive cages. Do I need to plug in both Molex power connectors in each cage, or should just one work? Unfortunately I don't have enough Molex connectors on my power supply. Is it safe to use one molex and one sata power cable with sata->molex adapter (link to adapter) per cage? 

Edited by gulo
Link to post
17 hours ago, gulo said:

Hello

 

I have purchased 2 Supermicro CSE-M35T1 3x5 drive cages. Do I need to plug in both Molex power connectors in each cage, or should just one work? Unfortunately I don't have enough Molex connectors on my power supply. Is it safe to use one molex and one sata power cable with sata->molex adapter (link to adapter) per cage? 

Yes, you need both plugged in. That adapter should be fine.

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 11:31 PM, ramblinreck47 said:

Also, search for the BPN-DE3500HD, it's the newer version of the same thing.

Hehe..  You have an extra 0 in the part number!   No wonder the search came up with nothing! 🙂

 

BPN-DE350HD

 

 

Link to post

Has anyone ever had issues with a slot going bad in the Norco drive cages?  Two different slots in two different cages are, potentially, giving me issues.  One is causing the drive to disappear and the other is give sporadic CRC errors.  I'm going to look into if it's the cables or the slot.  But I was curious to know if anyone ever had a slot go bad on them?

Link to post
2 hours ago, jbuszkie said:

Has anyone ever had issues with a slot going bad in the Norco drive cages?  Two different slots in two different cages are, potentially, giving me issues.  One is causing the drive to disappear and the other is give sporadic CRC errors.  I'm going to look into if it's the cables or the slot.  But I was curious to know if anyone ever had a slot go bad on them?

It's possible the slot itself went bad, but not likely. If you haven't tried replacing cables or ports on the controller first, I'd try that. I've been using in excess of 8 5x3 and 3 3x2 cages and have never had a slot itself go bad. Both those issues sound like a cable or controller issue.

Link to post

Has anyone tried the Silverstone Sst-FS305? How is the airflow and temps. Istarusa, norco, doesn't really exist in the eu.. 

 

It looks exactly like the istarusa one from the back. 

Does anyone have temperature data on the BPN-DE350HD. 

Edited by kakmoster
Link to post
15 minutes ago, kakmoster said:

Has anyone tried the Silverstone Sst-FS305? How is the airflow and temps. Istarusa, norco, doesn't really exist in the eu.. 

 

It looks exactly like the istarusa one from the back. 

Does anyone have temperature data on the BPN-DE350HD. 

Almost all the 5x3 trayless seem to be more or less the exact same, so I would assume it fine and terms of mechanics. The one thing I don't like about the Silverstone that some of the others have is that the front of the trays have no airflow. Looking at some iStar and others, they have different patterns on the front to allow airflow in. So, temps in this might get a bit higher.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Whaler_99 said:

Almost all the 5x3 trayless seem to be more or less the exact same, so I would assume it fine and terms of mechanics. The one thing I don't like about the Silverstone that some of the others have is that the front of the trays have no airflow. Looking at some iStar and others, they have different patterns on the front to allow airflow in. So, temps in this might get a bit higher.

Hm yes I didn't think about that.. Anything that's not norco, Supermicro or istarusa that has good airflow?.. I have a few 8TB Seagate Ironwolfs and bot they get hot.. 

 

I want to be able to have 20 drives in my Antec 1200, or maybe 18 with 3x2 cages. 

 

How about the Icy Dock MB975SP-B (bad reviews)... 

 

This is hard. Maybe a cage with trays is the way to go. I guess molex is almost mandatory if you want shucked drives with the 3.3 V pin.. 

 

MB155SB-B looks like it have pretty good airflow, also with a 92 mm fan. 

I guess molex to sata would work. 

Edited by kakmoster
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

I can do a quick review of the MB15SB-B (the FatCage). It has much better airflow than the one in OP, more ventilation and bigger fan.

 

I "couldn't" handle Seagate Ironwolf drives. Temps where at +45C at idle. For these drives the Icy Dock Vortex (4in3) is a better choice, ~38C at idle and 45C parity checking. 

 

However, when I run my 5 old 4TB WD Red drives, the temperature is stable at ~33C idle and 39-42C while parity checking. This is with fan at max, thinking about swapping it or running it at a lower speed because it's loud! Edit: at lower speed it's much more quiet.

 

Trays are pretty great according to me. Sturdy.

 

My ambient temperature is around 22C. 

Edited by kakmoster
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 11:22 AM, kakmoster said:

I can do a quick review of the MB15SB-B (the FatCage). It has much better airflow than the one in OP, more ventilation and bigger fan.

 

I "couldn't" handle Seagate Ironwolf drives. Temps where at +45C at idle. For these drives the Icy Dock Vortex (4in3) is a better choice, ~38C at idle and 45C parity checking. 

 

However, when I run my 5 old 4TB WD Red drives, the temperature is stable at ~33C idle and 39-42C while parity checking. This is with fan at max, thinking about swapping it or running it at a lower speed because it's loud! Edit: at lower speed it's much more quiet.

 

Trays are pretty great according to me. Sturdy.

 

My ambient temperature is around 22C. 

 

So, MB15SB-B is one worth purchasing?

- Do you have a link?

 

 

Thanks!

Edited by Rick Sanchez
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.