[Support] Josh5 - Steam (Headless)

I upgraded to 6.12.2 and restarted my unraid server. Don't know if that update helped, but I'm on version 535.54.03 of NVIDIA drivers and I can pull up the container in VNC now. No need to be on 530.41 drivers

-EDIT- nevermind. I rebooted the container and it's not working again with VNC.. back to the older nvidia drivers

Edited by HellraiserOSU

im trying to install it for the first time, the container is running but im getting these errors in logs 

traps: xdg-desktop-por[24357] trap int3 ip:1508e6521ca7 sp:7fff7426c500 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.6600.8[1508e64e5000+88000]

trap int3 ip:153b0fb4cca7 sp:7ffea0bfef20 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.6600.8[153b0fb10000+88000]

Edited by Vyktrii

Hi! Just installed this, don't have my dGPU yet, so trying to just use with my AMD iGPU. Before rebuilding this PC as an unRAID server, the same AMD APU has been used for Steam for months. It's been stuck at "Loading user data..." in Steam for over an hour now.

Also, maybe unrelated, I can't seem to get the time to work. I'm in CDT, I've tried both "North America/Chicago," and "UTC-5." Something I did changed it from AM/PM to 24-hour, but the time is still five hours ahead of me.

Any suggestions for either of these would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot from 2023-07-02 08-53-13.png

1 hour ago, RebelLion1519 said:

Hi! Just installed this, don't have my dGPU yet, so trying to just use with my AMD iGPU. Before rebuilding this PC as an unRAID server, the same AMD APU has been used for Steam for months. It's been stuck at "Loading user data..." in Steam for over an hour now.

Also, maybe unrelated, I can't seem to get the time to work. I'm in CDT, I've tried both "North America/Chicago," and "UTC-5." Something I did changed it from AM/PM to 24-hour, but the time is still five hours ahead of me.

Any suggestions for either of these would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot from 2023-07-02 08-53-13.png

Try forcing a re-create on the container

7 hours ago, RebelLion1519 said:

Thanks, tried that, it's still spinning. For fun, I tried to connect to it with Steam Link, and it's detected as a computer running Steam on the network. Can't enter the verification PIN, though, since all it's showing is the "Loading user data...." screen like before.

I have the same issue now after upgrading to unraid 6.12. What version are you on?

2 minutes ago, Josh.5 said:

Looks like it may be related to this:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/9730

I'll be looking into this issue this week. Will post here with updates as they happen. In the meantime, try that workaround by adding the flag for running the old UI.

Thank you for looking into it! I will be eager to see the updates! I am afraid I'm very much a noob, how do I add that flag to launch with the old UI?

On 7/4/2023 at 12:30 AM, Josh.5 said:

For anyone having this issue with an NVIDIA GPU, this seems to only be affecting the latest driver. 530.41.03 and lower does not have this problem.

Thanks! Any good ways to downgrade from 535 to 530.41.03? Wasn't sure if there was something in the Plugin Store that allows us to do this but can't seem to find a quick guide for this process.

9 minutes ago, holyscotsman said:

Thanks! Any good ways to downgrade from 535 to 530.41.03? Wasn't sure if there was something in the Plugin Store that allows us to do this but can't seem to find a quick guide for this process.

You just open the nVidia Driver plugin and select the driver you want, it's all in the same plugin? 

image.png.442e1b872b3299006a6a677554681c31.png

11 minutes ago, mnovak said:

You just open the nVidia Driver plugin and select the driver you want, it's all in the same plugin? 

image.png.442e1b872b3299006a6a677554681c31.png

Heh, I swear I'm not losing my mind. When I checked yesterday, only "latest" showed up but now I am seeing the older versions. Sorry about that! Thanks

Shall give this a shot!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, RebelLion1519 said:

Anyone have an idea for those of us on Team Red?

Do not upgrade to Unraid 6.12. I cannot express enough how annoyed I am with the amount of time I've wasted this week upgrading my system to 6.12 to explore this issue. This is headache inducing. The OS version has so many underlying issues that are not at all related to Steam Headless and is preventing me from be able to even improve the container. Eg. issues with the mover. Issues with services like SSH just stopping outright, issues with Dockerd.
I cannot stress enough, do not upgrade to 6.12.x. If you are on 6.12, then consider backing up your /config directory on your USB stick and downgrade back to 6.11. This is what I am doing at the moment.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Josh.5 said:

Do not upgrade to Unraid 6.12. I cannot express enough how annoyed I am with the amount of time I've wasted this week upgrading my system to 6.12 to explore this issue. This is headache inducing. The OS version has so many underlying issues that are not at all related to Steam Headless and is preventing me from be able to even improve the container. Eg. issues with the mover. Issues with services like SSH just stopping outright, issues with Dockerd.
I cannot stress enough, do not upgrade to 6.12.x. If you are on 6.12, then consider backing up your /config directory on your USB stick and downgrade back to 6.11. This is what I am doing at the moment.

Oh man, that's a major bummer. Sorry that you've been getting frustrated about this. I'll look into downgrading this weekend.

25 minutes ago, RebelLion1519 said:

Oh man, that's a major bummer. Sorry that you've been getting frustrated about this. I'll look into downgrading this weekend.

The downgrade process is simple enough and my initial impression for the past few mins is that there are not problems with it.
I am not running any VMs so I cannot say anything about that. But for Docker containers and plugins, it is fine to downgrade to 6.11.5 as I have just done.
All I did was:

1. Download the 6.11.5 tar from their website.
  2. Put the USB stick in my PC.
  3. Create a backup of the whole USB stick.
  4. Extract the 6.11.5 tar on my PC.
  5. Copy everything EXCEPT for the `/config` directory to the USB stick.
  6. Safely remove the USB stick, put it back in the server and boot it.
  7. Profit... All issues are now resolved if you run the older NVIDIA driver.
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

The downgrade process is simple enough and my initial impression for the past few mins is that there are not problems with it.
I am not running any VMs so I cannot say anything about that. But for Docker containers and plugins, it is fine to downgrade to 6.11.5 as I have just done.
All I did was:

1. Download the 6.11.5 tar from their website.
  2. Put the USB stick in my PC.
  3. Create a backup of the whole USB stick.
  4. Extract the 6.11.5 tar on my PC.
  5. Copy everything EXCEPT for the `/config` directory to the USB stick.
  6. Safely remove the USB stick, put it back in the server and boot it.
  7. Profit... All issues are now resolved if you run the older NVIDIA driver.

First, a big thank you for everything.

The only way to get something stable on 6.12 is to use ipvlan instead of macvlan on the docker settings on unraid.

With that and the 530 driver I was able to get something pretty stable with your docker.

Just a quick note here of some big changes in light of all of these issues...

Today's builds contain the following changes:

• Fixed issues with latest NVIDIA drivers (tested on Unraid 6.11.5 - I am not upgrading again).
    • Removes DISPLAY_DPI configuration.
    • Fixes issues with multiple NVIDIA GPUs on your system.
    • Many other tweaks to how our X server is running that may also benefit Intel/AMD users.
  • Fixes issues with logging into Steam.
  • Fixes issues with browsing to /mnt/games from Steam.
  • Updates Steam installation to Flatpak.
  • Automatically configure Steam with a second library pointing to "/mnt/games/GameLibrary/SteamLibrary" (change this as you like).
  • Removes unused code for launching other display environments. Only Xfce4 will be supported from here on out.
  • Tidies up Xfce4 menus - removing anything that was an eyesore or not necessary.
  • Adds ProtonUp-Qt by default
  • Adds a Software installation app to System > Software. Here you can install other Flatpaks like Heroic launcher and Lutris.
  • Removes support for Sunshine (will be re-added later on as a Flatpak when I have time).
  • Removes the "Installer - XXXXX" shortcuts from the menu for apps like Lutris and Heroic. Just install it from the Software app mentioned above.
  • Replaces Firefox with a Flatpak installation.
  • Removes old SSH code. This container does not support SSH.
  • Fixes issues with some Appimages.
  • Fixes issues with EmuDeck. This should now work exactly the same as it would on a Steam Deck.
  • Heaps of code tidying up and deleting of things I don't want in there.

Some further notes:

It will take longer to start the container the first time after this update. You may open noVNC and just see a black screen... Just wait, it is just installing some Flatpaks to your home directory before starting Xfce for the fist time.

Since Steam is now running as a Flatpak, you will need to configure it again. Sorry.

image.thumb.png.903bf220d68f9baba2462295a770771b.png

image.thumb.png.23f87a514651b956edd2d33ac965c561.png

image.thumb.png.a9179a413491a435e229e048070ffd13.png

image.thumb.png.5008f199afabf557a7f8abea3abe9a41.png

Edited by Josh.5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, mnovak said:

JFC that's a lot

THANK YOU!

You're awesome, just in case you didn't already know lol

Thanks. Yea. This was a decent update. I have been meaning to pivot the app installation for a while, but I never could get around to it.

Moving forward, all "Apps" inside the container will be Flatpak first. Then Appimage. Then Docker (using Docker in Docker). And finally after those options I'll consider a installation via a script or deb package.
Most of the cool things that we have on the Steam Deck are already either a Flatpak or an Appimage (Heroic, Lutris, Yuzu, Cemu, ProtonUp-QT, etc...). So to me this just makes sense.

This also works better as it reduces the size of the Docker image and installs things to your `/home/default directory`.

• Like 1