PSA on SanDisk USBs

SpencerJ

Ordered two of the pictured units to test. 

These are found on eBay/Aliexpress.

Blue PCB

Brass/Gold colored hardware features

Can confirm that the units pictured do contain ASPM1153e chip.

They do not contain unique GUID/UUID.  Creation tool fails outright. Default ID is full of zeros.

THE FOLLOWING UNITS DO NOT CONTAIN A UNIQUE IDENTIFIER. THEY DO NOT MEET CURRENT REQUIREMENTS. THEY ARE REJECTED BY MEDIA CREATION TOOL.

s-l16004.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-15 085935.png

I just received ONE of the following devices:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092DDRRRQ

Unraid thought it was a unique GUID. I've moved an existing Unraid install and license key to it without problem.

However, just as above, let the buyer beware.

I only purchased one of them, and I cannot be sure that others will be unique (who knows? maybe I was simply the first to try to move Unraid onto one of these?).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 1:52 AM, SpaceGator said:

I wonder how well something like this would work. USB Flash Drives Industrial Embedded USB module

swissbit.jpeg.41ca5d5c36fccd92a909866dba830fd8.jpeg

@SpaceGator - agree. I was also interested in same so I reached out to SwissBit tech support. Unfortunately they told me that those do not have a unique GUID:

Me: "Hello, Do your eUSB 2.0 Modules each have a unique GUID? For example, part number SFUI016GJ2AB2TO-I-5S-2AP-STD I'm asking because a common piece of software ("Unraid") is run as an OS from USB sticks but requires it's USB drive to have a unique GUID to tether the license to. Thank you for any information."

SwissBit Application Engineer: "No the GUID is not unique to every drive, it is unique to each individual drive.  It is unique to the controller series.   We do have other unique identifiers in the Identify information, but it sounds like those would not be helpful in this case."

("No unique GUID for each drive" seems to be the most likely interpretation of what they told me. The reply could really be interpreted either as that, or as "Each individual drive has a unique GUID, but it is not unique to every model number." Perhaps that clarity and resulting specificity was lost in translation.)

Edited by adoucette
  • Thanks 1