unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta10 Available

Can someone please help me re-enable the linux r8169 driver into this beta10 release?

I tried copying the .ko across from beta9 but modprobe in beta10 doesn't accept it (I'm guessing because the kernel is now 2.6.39.3).

I tried downloading r8169 driver source code from Realtek site, but I can't build ('make clean modules') the driver because of an error (the 'build' folder is allegedly not found, even though when I 'ls' that folder it does, in fact exist).

I assume you want to do this because you are having problems with beta10 and the Realtek driver now included.

yes exactly: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14158.msg134153#msg134153

I'm going to get rid of r8168 and restore r8169 in -beta10a.  So much for Realtek being able to support their own NIC's  ::)

wonderful thank you - I'll wait for beta10a

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please help me re-enable the linux r8169 driver into this beta10 release?

I tried copying the .ko across from beta9 but modprobe in beta10 doesn't accept it (I'm guessing because the kernel is now 2.6.39.3).

I tried downloading r8169 driver source code from Realtek site, but I can't build ('make clean modules') the driver because of an error (the 'build' folder is allegedly not found, even though when I 'ls' that folder it does, in fact exist).

I assume you want to do this because you are having problems with beta10 and the Realtek driver now included.

yes exactly: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14158.msg134153#msg134153

I'm going to get rid of r8168 and restore r8169 in -beta10a.  So much for Realtek being able to support their own NIC's  ::)

When do you think 5.0 will be final?  ;)

I have recently done this myself to add DVB drivers so I can run Tvheadend. I worked out how to do it all by taking bits and pieces from a few pages on the Wiki. Mainly how to compile kernel headers and install Virtual Box in combination with how to recompile the kernel. The Wiki pages are not totally clear though, as they make it sound as though you need to install a full Slackware distro to build the kernel, apart from one sentence that says it can be done from unRAID installed on a flash drive.

Sorry for being offtopic, but

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_Tvheadend_in_unRAID

when it's done....  :D

when it's done....  :D

My guess .. 3 months to a year from now. ;D(I always was an optimist)[/coloe]

Hi!

I'm going to get rid of r8168 and restore r8169 in -beta10a.  So much for Realtek being able to support their own NIC's  ::)

When do you think 5.0 will be final?  ;)

when it's done....  :D

My guess .. 3 months to a year from now. ;D(I always was an optimist)[/coloe]

But is this really important? It's just a version number and nothing more. Besides I think everybody can see that development is there and at least for me Beta10 runs quite stable.

Bye.

But is this really important? It's just a version number and nothing more. Besides I think everybody can see that development is there and at least for me Beta10 runs quite stable.

Bye.

I'm anxious - but won't move to it until probably a month after it is final released.

+1.  Thanks, Tom.

Quick question.

I've precleared 2 HDD's and very soon I'll be ready to start my array.

Should I stick with 4.7, or make the jump to 5.0b10? I'm a bit concerned about the "beta" tag, but it seems as though many people recommend taking the plunge? Will I have to re-clear my HDD's (both are 2TB HDD's)?

Furthermore, how easy will it be to upgrade 5.0b10 to 5.0b11 or even 5.0 final?

Thanks!

Quick question.

I've precleared 2 HDD's and very soon I'll be ready to start my array.

Should I stick with 4.7, or make the jump to 5.0b10? I'm a bit concerned about the "beta" tag, but it seems as though many people recommend taking the plunge? Will I have to re-clear my HDD's (both are 2TB HDD's)?

Furthermore, how easy will it be to upgrade 5.0b10 to 5.0b11 or even 5.0 final?

Thanks!

See my build ... http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14312.msg135215#msg135215

I have stress-tested 5b9 and 5b10 every way I know how, across 20 data drives (Hitachi 3TB), and apart from a couple of warnings/errors in the syslogs that appear to cause no problems whatsoever, I'm very confident in recommending 5b10 to you (of course ultimately it's your call and if possible, keep a backup copy of any data you commit to Unraid just in case).

It seems to me that mover isn't being invoked automatically - every time unRAID is booted. I have to go into settings, and 'Apply' the mover schedule before it will be run.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

I am getting the exact same issue. Once I hit "apply" works perfectly until the next reboot. Then nothing until I click on "apply" again...

Shawn

blk_eh_not_handled.

Just noticed my unraid server was non-responsive. Attempted to bring back to life, but load was 30,**,** nothing would do it. Was finally forced to do a reboot -h then reset the machine.

Sadly I didn't save the syslog, wasn't aware it was overwritten during boot - however, I do remember seeing blk_eh_not_handled in it, and did some google searching on it.

Wish the syslog wasn't overwritten during boot. Be nice if it was just appended too.

--- had to go lookup which SAS controller I had.

SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8

and a gaggle of SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154U

blk_eh_not_handled.

Just noticed my unraid server was non-responsive. Attempted to bring back to life, but load was 30,**,** nothing would do it. Was finally forced to do a reboot -h then reset the machine.

Sadly I didn't save the syslog, wasn't aware it was overwritten during boot - however, I do remember seeing blk_eh_not_handled in it, and did some google searching on it.

Wish the syslog wasn't overwritten during boot. Be nice if it was just appended too.

It is created in RAM every time you reboot, so is started anew.

quick question to all the pros:

Yesterday evening I upgraded from 4.7 to 5b10 and hit the "new permission" button. It took an hour to get through drives 1-7 (out of 9 in total). It then became unresponsive, but I attributed that to the server being under load during its setting of new permissions. I have now left it on a good 12 hours, and the server is still under load (no drives spun down) and unresponsive. What do you recommend doing?

ok, I decided to plug in my keyboard and monitor (why didn't I do that right away?). The problem is as follows: The server goes through its start procedure, but then it refuses to boot from the flash drive (which I have been using for a year now). It states the typical things along the lines of "insert boot media and press any key". Ok, so I thought maybe UnMenu wasn't playing nice with the new unRaid. I reformatted the USB drive, installed everything as per the manual, bu this time only the OS. Still same problem. It is driving me crazy as I need the files on the unraid!

After you reboot, but before you click on "Apply" type:

crontab -l

and post the output.   It could be that the mover is not even being scheduled in cron until you "apply" it.

Errrr .... crontab -l never shows the schedule for mover, because it lists the contents of /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

The mover schedule is placed in /etc/cron.d/root ... from the logfile:

Aug 1 00:39:56 Tower login[9423]: ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/0' from '10.2.1.15'
Aug 1 00:41:29 Tower emhttp: shcmd (77): crontab -c /etc/cron.d - <<< "# Generated mover schedule: 0 */2 * * * /usr/local/sbin/mover |& logger"

I will investigate the contents of /etc/cron.d next time my server is rebooted.

ok, I decided to plug in my keyboard and monitor (why didn't I do that right away?). The problem is as follows: The server goes through its start procedure, but then it refuses to boot from the flash drive (which I have been using for a year now). It states the typical things along the lines of "insert boot media and press any key". Ok, so I thought maybe UnMenu wasn't playing nice with the new unRaid. I reformatted the USB drive, installed everything as per the manual, bu this time only the OS. Still same problem. It is driving me crazy as I need the files on the unraid!

It sounds as if it is no longer the boot device.  Your BIOS may have reset itself. Or, the flash drive might have gone bad.

I hate to say this, but this is not "windows", so the first response to an issue is to get a copy of the syslog for analysis... and is not to reformat and reload.  

You only complicated issues.  We do not now know if your flash drive is bootable (did you run syslinux on it?, or if you did, did you have the right administrative permissions on it to make it bootable?) or if it has the proper volume label.

If the BIOS is asking you to insert boot media, it is attempting to boot from one of your hard disks, or your flash drive was not made bootable by use of syslinux on it.

Step 1. Look in your BIOS. Make sure the flash drive is the boot device.

Thanks Joe L.

I'm not a windows user, hehe, but yeah you are right, should have grabbed the log files first. The strange thing is, that the USB drive is selected in the bios. Even if I press F8 during the bootup to select the boot volume, I can chose the USB drive. Then immediatley after, it says insert boot media. I will give another flash drive a go with 4.7. IF that works I'll try 5b10

After you reboot, but before you click on "Apply" type:

crontab -l

and post the output.   It could be that the mover is not even being scheduled in cron until you "apply" it.

Errrr .... crontab -l never shows the schedule for mover, because it lists the contents of /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

The mover schedule is placed in /etc/cron.d/root ... from the logfile:

Aug 1 00:39:56 Tower login[9423]: ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/0' from '10.2.1.15'
Aug 1 00:41:29 Tower emhttp: shcmd (77): crontab -c /etc/cron.d - <<< "# Generated mover schedule: 0 */2 * * * /usr/local/sbin/mover |& logger"

I will investigate the contents of /etc/cron.d next time my server is rebooted.

Just did a reboot. Nothing in the /etc/cron.d - empty.

As for crontab -l

root@Tower:~# crontab -l
# If you don't want the output of a cron job mailed to you, you have to direct
# any output to /dev/null.  We'll do this here since these jobs should run
# properly on a newly installed system, but if they don't the average newbie
# might get quite perplexed about getting strange mail every 5 minutes. :^)
#
# Run the hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly cron jobs.
# Jobs that need different timing may be entered into the crontab as before,
# but most really don't need greater granularity than this.  If the exact
# times of the hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly cron jobs do not suit your
# needs, feel free to adjust them.
#
# Run hourly cron jobs at 47 minutes after the hour:
47 * * * * /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 1> /dev/null
#
# Run daily cron jobs at 4:40 every day:
40 4 * * * /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null
#
# Run weekly cron jobs at 4:30 on the first day of the week:
30 4 * * 0 /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.weekly 1> /dev/null
#
# Run monthly cron jobs at 4:20 on the first day of the month:
20 4 1 * * /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.monthly 1> /dev/null
# check parity every Mon at 8 am:
0 8 * * 1 /root/mdcmd check NOCORRECT 1>/dev/null 2>&1
root@Tower:~#

Shawn

Seems I found my problem (this will be my last post in this thread just to finish things up, I know this is meant for 5b10). On my ASUS P7H55-N Pro, whenever I hook up a 12th disk (I had 11 before), it will no longer boot from the USB drive. Took me all day to discover that. So the issue in actual fact is down to hardware, so it seems, and not down to unraid. I'm a bit annoyed as ASUS did not post anywhere that their Motherboard only supports 11 drives.

Seems I found my problem (this will be my last post in this thread just to finish things up, I know this is meant for 5b10). On my ASUS P7H55-N Pro, whenever I hook up a 12th disk (I had 11 before), it will no longer boot from the USB drive. Took me all day to discover that. So the issue in actual fact is down to hardware, so it seems, and not down to unraid. I'm a bit annoyed as ASUS did not post anywhere that their Motherboard only supports 11 drives.

Thanks for posting the problem, many people just leave us hanging.

Others have had this same issue.  Define the USB flash drive as a bootable FDD device and I think you can get around the BIOS limitation.