[Plugin] Tailscale

Using tailscale on pfSense as an exit node is not reliable, most of the time other tailscale devices can't access internet when using pfSense as an exit node.
I have a debian vm on unraid for other purposes and also install tailscale as native app on it, turn it into an exit node and it works flawlessly.

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

After further configuration and a full unraid reset the containers are not yet advertised through tailscale subnet router (I am using the custom network br0 in order to have a fixed/static ip for each container)

Now I only have tailscale installed as plugin (and community applications)

Eventually I am also full of warnings and errors from this plugin logs..

immagine.thumb.png.316b2e57b1ac28e04408f5ba6b605775.pngany help would be really appreciated thanks

edit:

as said before setting bridge as interface on the same ip of webgui works

(see attached image) but i cant understand why only the webGUI and VMs get routed through tailscale and not container ips...

edit edit:

not that i know the problem I did manage to do a better job at googling and found this (

, i preivously did enable that setting and now is disabled, I cant believe the number of days I lost for that slider. Thank yall anyway and reporting this hoping someone else finds this quicker than me

HomeData-tailscale-diag-20240111-071928.zip

immagine.png

Edited by mich2k

Hey gang - how do I set my unraid server up as an exit node AND allow access over tailscale to my network? I installed the latest version of the plugin, and want to deprecate my Tailscale Docker container. 

Edit: I read earlier in this thread to click on VIEWIING in the settings and re-auth - but I don't have that option 

Edit 2: To troubleshoot, I sent to settings, Advanced view and reset tailscale. Signed in again, and nope. Still no way to re-auth. I can only view :(

Not sure if I just turn on "Use Tailscale Subnets" or not. But I want to be careful, I hosed my server on an early version of this plugin - but making another run at it since it's looks way more mature now (Great job)

Thanks 

Edited by Nexus
33 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Hey gang - how do I set my unraid server up as an exit node AND allow access over tailscale to my network? I installed the latest version of the plugin, and want to deprecate my Tailscale Docker container. 

Edit: I read earlier in this thread to click on VIEWIING in the settings and re-auth - but I don't have that option 

Edit 2: To troubleshoot, I sent to settings, Advanced view and reset tailscale. Signed in again, and nope. Still no way to re-auth. I can only view :(

Not sure if I just turn on "Use Tailscale Subnets" or not. But I want to be careful, I hosed my server on an early version of this plugin - but making another run at it since it's looks way more mature now (Great job)

Thanks 

I actually got stuck at the "Viewing" part when I was testing. It ended up being an issue with Tailscale on my laptop (not on Unraid), and what I had to do was re-authenticate my laptop, and then I was able to switch to the editing mode.

"Use Tailscale Subnets" won't do what you want... that controls outbound connections from Unraid and has nothing to do with using Unraid as a subnet router. (I've actually hidden this setting in "Advanced Mode" in the latest version of the plugin with a warning, because it can be confusing -- people think they need it [but don't] and then end up with other problems because it's turned on :( )

17 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Thanks @EDACerton - I reauthenticated on my laptop, and still no joy. I tried Safari, Edge and FF (on my Mac) - I can't get past VIEWING.  I am completely stumped. 

Unfortunately, that side of the interface lives completely inside Tailscale, so there's not much that I can do to directly help.

What should happen is this:

1. Go to Tailscale settings in Unraid.
  2. Click Viewing -> Sign In
  3. A new tab will open connected directly to your Tailscale IP.
  4. Click Viewing -> Sign In
  5. Sign in to Tailscale
  6. Editing mode becomes active

If you're not getting the new tab in step 3, you might need to check ad blockers, etc. to see if your browser is blocking it.

If you're getting stuck at step 4, you can try opening the Javascript console on your browser (press F12) after the new tab loads, then see if any new messages appear in the console when you try clicking the "Sign in" button.

You can also always use the CLI commands to set Tailscale settings from SSH or the console inside the Unraid WebGUI.

Edited by EDACerton

I was having issues with accessing the Unraid GUI. I had installed the Docker Version of Tailscale, and then removed the image and switched over to the Plugin version. I finally got it working after a bunch of tinkering so hopefully this will help others out having the same issue.

Here are my steps that got it going again:
Deleted the Tailscale Plugin

Deleted the `appdata/tailscale` folder
Rebooted server
Reinstalled Tailscale Plugin

Erased the Tailscale Configuration `Settings -> Reset Tailscale`
Removed unraid machine from the Tailscale Admin Console
Kept Tailscale settings at default (except enabled SSH)
Reauthorized unraid machine on tailscale (No exit nodes, no subnet routes, all default)

Everything's working again on my end, I can access the Unraid GUI via the Tailscale IP address and docker containers via their ports.  Not sure if this is all necessary or not but it worked for me. Hope this helps some others who are banging their head against the wall on this one.

I think you are right...as I was staring to think that the Tailscale docker I had running for so many months (it's off now) did something to my network settings on the Unraid side that may be blocking the Plugin from working. 

2 minutes ago, Todo88 said:

I was having issues with accessing the Unraid GUI. I had installed the Docker Version of Tailscale, and then removed the image and switched over to the Plugin version. I finally got it working after a bunch of tinkering so hopefully this will help others out having the same issue.

Rebooted server

Reauthorized unraid machine on tailscale (No exit nodes, no subnet routes, all default)

Everything's working again on my end, I can access the Unraid GUI via the Tailscale IP address and docker containers via their ports.  Not sure if this is all necessary or not but it worked for me. Hope this helps some others who are banging their head against the wall on this one.

Thanks for this info! Hopefully it will be of use to folks :)

Following up: I did what you did @Todo88 - and it still did not work. I even left the docker service off to ensure nothing was happening there. 

@EDACerton should I see entries for your plug in the Unraid network routing table? I see one for Tailscale, but not sure if that's from my docker install (that is completely removed now)

Update: Ok, did a complete reboot of my laptop as well, fired up Tailscale and then I saw the option to reauth. Thank you @Todo88 for the pointer and @EDACerton for your help and the plugin. 

Edited by Nexus
  • Like 1

@oxyg3n @VampyreVK @bmpreston @letum00 @adaughe2

I promise that I didn't forget about all of you, it's just been a busy week for me :)

I looked through all of the logs, and there's nothing that immediately stands out to me as being a problem -- services are listening on the correct interfaces, etc. From everything I can see in the config files / logs, it seems like things should be working, but aren't.

You could try following the steps that @Todo88 mentioned a few posts ago, that seems like a good start.

If that doesn't work, I'm wondering if there might be some kind of routing problem that's manifesting in your setups. I noticed that all of the diagnostics show either (or both) of these things configured:

• "Use Tailscale Subnets" set to "Yes"
  • Wireguard tunnels created with a default route

For "Use Tailscale Subnets": this setting is very rarely required, but can be a bit confusing. "Use Tailscale Subnets" tells Unraid to follow routes advertised by other devices in the tailnet. It has no effect on advertising routes from Unraid. Unless you have some need for Unraid to initiate connections to other tailnet devices (e.g., backing up files to a remote server connected via Tailscale), you're better off turning this setting off.

The other thing that might be useful is if someone could give me the output from this command in the Unraid console:

ip route show table all

That's not something that I currently collect in diagnostics, but might be helpful for figuring out what's happening (I will probably add this to the diagnostics in an upcoming update too).

5 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Following up: I did what you did @Todo88 - and it still did not work. I even left the docker service off to ensure nothing was happening there. 

@EDACerton should I see entries for your plug in the Unraid network routing table? I see one for Tailscale, but not sure if that's from my docker install (that is completely removed now)

The routing entries for Tailscale don't appear in the route table that is shown in the WebGUI, they're in a separate table that you can view by running this in the CLI:

ip route show table 52

However, in your case I don't think that's going to have the information that you're looking for. Your questions have been about advertising your Unraid server as an exit node / subnet router. You can do that by running this in the CLI:

tailscale set --advertise-exit-node --advertise-routes=your.network.address.here/size

The results of that won't show up in the local routing tables, but you should see the advertisements in your Tailscale admin console to approve.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, EDACerton said:

I get this error too and I don't know what to do about it. I have never used the tailscale docker container and I also don't know how the "set" command can help here.

If I access "tailscaleip:5252" the web interface works as expected. 

Thanks for implementing the option to change the port, by the way!

tailscale-diag-20240114-133830.zip

Edited by jquery
4 hours ago, jquery said:

I get this error too and I don't know what to do about it. I have never used the tailscale docker container and I also don't know how the "set" command can help here.

If I access "tailscaleip:5252" the web interface works as expected. 

Thanks for implementing the option to change the port, by the way!

tailscale-diag-20240114-133830.zip 127.87 kB · 0 downloads

The tailscale web interfaces (the pages with the "Viewing" button, etc.) are entirely contained within Tailscale, so if the "Viewing" button doesn't work right I can offer advice to help understand what's happening, but ultimately can't do much to fix it. You could try checking your Javascript console when you are loading the interface in Unraid to see if anything interesting shows up. I don't have a way to collect those logs since they're actually browser logs, not Unraid logs.

If you can get to tailscaleip:5252 and that works, though, I probably wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it if I were you.

Edited by EDACerton

I installed pfsense on a vm for testing and also install and enable tailscale on pfsense while tailscale plugin in unraid was also enable. Now the status in tailscale unraid is "Viewing Cannot access this device's Tailscale IP. Make sure you are connected to your tailnet, and that your policy file allows access". The subnet routes in tailscale unraid has been remove and can't even bring them back even if I disable tailscale in pfsense. I tried to re install tailscale plugin in unraid, re-authenticate and still not able to modify settings. How to fix this?

EDIT:

I fixed it by disabling subnet route of pfsense in tailscale web admin console. Then I re-authenticate again in tailscale unraid and I can finally able to change settings.

Edited by HHUBS
ADD FIXED
On 1/7/2024 at 5:21 PM, EDACerton said:

The most useful thing to provide is diagnostics from inside the plugin. To answer your specific questions:

• You do not need to do the "go" fix from that other thread, that is only for users running the docker container. The plugin handles service restarts / extra interfaces / etc. for you.
  • The missing IPv4 address is normal. Linux has policy routing, and most Tailscale routes don't show up in the one shown by the WebGUI.

One quick thing to check -- make certain that NetBIOS is turned off in your SMB settings on Unraid. If NetBIOS is turned on, SMB won't work over Tailscale.

NETBIOS was on as it is by default. Could you please add to the Plugin info page (unless I missed it) that this needs to be OFF. To help save other people the major headache I've had to deal with.

Thanks <3

12 hours ago, plantsandbinary said:

NETBIOS was on as it is by default. Could you please add to the Plugin info page (unless I missed it) that this needs to be OFF. To help save other people the major headache I've had to deal with.

Thanks ❤️

I actually had already added an orange warning banner to the plugin settings if NetBIOS is enabled (even before your post :) ). It'll go out in the next update.

• Like 1
On 1/14/2024 at 6:03 AM, Todo88 said:

Rebooted server

Thank you very much for your guide. I just wanted to give feedback having just gone through your steps to fix this issue for me so that it might help others.  

I did all the steps you mentioned except for deleting the config and only restarted Unraid at the end. It didn’t work until I restarted Unraid, so this step seems to be required. 

• Like 1
On 1/13/2024 at 9:03 PM, Todo88 said:

Rebooted server

I *think* this worked for me. I'm a noob and have very little understanding of all of this so don't take my word for too much, it could've been dumb luck, but I had basically everything working except being able to access the Unraid GUI via subnet (I don't wanna use Tailscale IPs or device names, I want everything standardized so I can use 1 IP everywhere). Did this, and now it works. So, thanks!

• Like 1

Note: Tailscale has paused distribution of 1.58.0, so I'm pausing updates to plugin version 2024.01.18. The issue appears to be that some NAT-PMP/UPnP responses can crash tailscaled.

If you have already updated to that version, you don't need to do anything unless you're having issues with Tailscale crashing completely. If you have upgraded and encounter this problem, you should be able to roll back by uninstalling the Tailscale plugin and then reinstalling via community apps.

I just got Unraid so I suspect I'm missing something trivial but I'm unable to access it through the Tailscale IP. 

I can access unraid with the local url still but not via the tailscale one, diagnostics attached. 

The machine appears as connected in the Tailscale dashboard. 
Additionally, I have Tailscale running on the same network on a Synology NAS, in case that is somehow relevant. 

EDIT: Never mind it's working now, for reference, following the steps from Todo88's post worked for me as well. 

Tower Tailscale Diag 20240122.zip

Edited by diste66
  • Like 1

Not sure I am doing something right.. I can access the UnRaid server by the tailscale IP as well as the "normal" IP.. I would like to access other machines on the network, so I added the networks to the available subnets. I am still unable to access the other IPs even though they have been added and approved in the tailscale console..