[Support] - Unifi-Controller: Unifi. Unraid. Reborn.

19 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

The very old devices are not supported by this version of the controller I am afraid. 

The USG I just took out of service yesterday was running fine with the 8.0.24 version of this controller.  I replaced the USG with the new UXG-Lite which also has no buit-in controller.  It is working very well in this controller.

The older (but not too old) Dream Router and the new UniFi Express both have a built-in controller and cannot be managed by this, or any other, controller container or cloud key.

Edited by Hoopster
8 minutes ago, vw-kombi said:

USG-lite is what I would upgrade to also.  Very difficult to get in Australia.

UXG-Lite was in and out of stock twice in the Ubiquiti US store before I finally got one on Monday on the third try (out of stock again later that night).  Fortunately, I live very close to one of their US warehouses so I got it delivered two days after ordering.

It is in short supply everywhere. 

I came from pfsense  running on UnRaid, then tried it in a spare laptop.  Eventually as I have UniFi ap’s and switch and frequent lockups in pfsense, I bought the usg.  That was so many years ago now I can’t remember and it has been bullet proof ever since.  One unified interface for all my few and vlan secured networks is great.  In Aus, We dont have the flashy fast internet that you other countries have.  Our crazy ex PM once said 25 down and 5 up is more than enough!!!!  

What percentage of the world wide home routers have this?  That would be a minute amount I would think.  I suspect > 99% of the planet would have the basic cheap isp supplied router or something they got ages ago that still just works.  What percentage of the world’s ‘home’ users would even know what ids/ips was.  That is on the USG also.  

16 minutes ago, vw-kombi said:

What percentage of the world’s ‘home’ users would even know what ids/ips was.  That is on the USG also.  

The Ubiquiti crowd knows what this is because performance was greatly decreased on the USG and UDR with these features turned on and there were many complaints.  Fortunately, the UXG-Lite has addressed that and it gets very close to 1Gb even with these turned on.  Thus, the claim of "up to 10x routing performance increase over the USG (tested with IPS/IDS, QoS, and Smart Queues)"

• Like 1

When I was given a short term test of 1GB internet by my provider (I guess they hope to upsell when you see the speed), I noticed my speeds could only do 123Mbps max with the usual all turned on.  I turned off and then its in the 900's.

My 'normal' speed I pay for is 100/20Mbps - so that USG limitation was never going to be an issue for me.

Australia's average internet speed for 2023 - drum roll - 54Mbps down and 18Mbps up (according to speedtest) - ranked 92 in the world!

I do look forward to a faster/better USG Lite one day, and then I will have the luxury of considering spending upwards of $130 a month for the 1Gbps plan.

Edited by vw-kombi
spelling

Hi all, could use some help diagnosing this issue. I'm getting an error on container install right out of the gate, here is the log:

docker run
  -d
  --name='unifi-controller-reborn'
  --net='bridge'
  -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="unRAID.Server"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="unifi-controller-reborn"
  -e 'MEM_LIMIT'='4096'
  -e 'MEM_STARTUP'='2048'
  -e 'UMASK'='002'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='https://[IP]:[PORT:8443]'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/11403137/277435263-1b01facd-1b15-4ba7-9495-e709c291d67f.jpg'
  -p '8443:8443/tcp'
  -p '3478:3478/udp'
  -p '10001:10001/udp'
  -p '8080:8080/tcp'
  -p '1900:1900/udp'
  -p '8843:8843/tcp'
  -p '8880:8880/tcp'
  -p '6789:6789/tcp'
  -p '5514:5514/udp'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn':'/unifi/var':'rw'
  --memory=8G '11notes/unifi:7.5.187-unraid'

15abcafd03f2dfa0c76eda1003a99088e41973fb6d750a7b44bfb3d064b4113b
docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint unifi-controller-reborn (1fcf720f1c65810e0c6fad7cac6e72cc211ef6d950e7e556fccd90966dcfce86): Error starting userland proxy: listen udp4 0.0.0.0:1900: bind: address already in use.

The command failed.

I've looked at the port allocations for my other docker containers and I don't see any reference to port 1900, so I'm not seeing where the conflict is. Any other ideas where I can start looking to resolve this?

10 hours ago, cinsun42 said:

Hi all, could use some help diagnosing this issue. I'm getting an error on container install right out of the gate, here is the log:

docker run
  -d
  --name='unifi-controller-reborn'
  --net='bridge'
  -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="unRAID.Server"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="unifi-controller-reborn"
  -e 'MEM_LIMIT'='4096'
  -e 'MEM_STARTUP'='2048'
  -e 'UMASK'='002'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='https://[IP]:[PORT:8443]'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/11403137/277435263-1b01facd-1b15-4ba7-9495-e709c291d67f.jpg'
  -p '8443:8443/tcp'
  -p '3478:3478/udp'
  -p '10001:10001/udp'
  -p '8080:8080/tcp'
  -p '1900:1900/udp'
  -p '8843:8843/tcp'
  -p '8880:8880/tcp'
  -p '6789:6789/tcp'
  -p '5514:5514/udp'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn':'/unifi/var':'rw'
  --memory=8G '11notes/unifi:7.5.187-unraid'

15abcafd03f2dfa0c76eda1003a99088e41973fb6d750a7b44bfb3d064b4113b
docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint unifi-controller-reborn (1fcf720f1c65810e0c6fad7cac6e72cc211ef6d950e7e556fccd90966dcfce86): Error starting userland proxy: listen udp4 0.0.0.0:1900: bind: address already in use.

The command failed.

I've looked at the port allocations for my other docker containers and I don't see any reference to port 1900, so I'm not seeing where the conflict is. Any other ideas where I can start looking to resolve this?

100% another docker is using the port. Just stop all of them and start only this one and then start the others one at a time until you find it. 

13 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

100% another docker is using the port. Just stop all of them and start only this one and then start the others one at a time until you find it. 

You were absolutely right, there was a conflict with Plex. I don't care to utilize L2 discovery with the unifi controller so I removed the port 1900 line completely and it installed without issue. Many thanks!

• Like 1

Just popped in to say thank you, tried this today and worked perfectly, restored data and im up and running, very simple. 

I was looking at interest with the comments around the newer devices - sorry if this is taking the subject off topic - im also looking at a UXG Lite, but I have a config.json file running on my current usg3p to set certain things - IGMP Proxy for IoT devices on different vlan, and WAN DHCP Option 61 for SKY vdsl auth - unsure if these will work or there is an alternative to add this stuff into the newer devices. Assuming the config.json is gone now

• Like 1
On 12/21/2023 at 2:14 PM, PeteAsking said:

I think you guys should look into running opnsense with zenarmor as its cheaper and has more features and is overall a better product. The unifi routers are a bit in the weak side. 

OK, you got me intrigued and I have a lot of time on my hands.  I bought a cheap HP Elite 8300 SFF computer (i5, 8GB RAM) from eBay and one of these mini PCs (8GB RAM/256 GB SSD) from AliExpress.

I will set up OPNSense and Zenarmor on both and see how they work for me.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

OK, you got me intrigued and I have a lot of time on my hands.  I bought a cheap HP Elite 8300 SFF computer (i5, 8GB RAM) from eBay and one of these mini PCs (8GB RAM/256 GGB SSD) from AliExpress.

You may also want to take a look at pfsense. I’m not trying to make a case that one is better than the other, just adding options. Pfsense is somewhat more commercialized but still has a free tier. Also, more money pushing the development (more features).

10 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I guess I can try both. Two sets of incoming hardware means I can give both a try and see which feature set and performance I like better.

You should know that Netgate (the company behind pfsense) has been a little erratic lately with their various paid plans leading to a lot of rumors regarding the future of the software. It’s my understanding that they can’t legally discontinue the free version due to the licensing but I’m not a lawyer so might be completely wrong about that. Currently the free version supports a feature set geared towards home users and the paid versions offer a few more advanced features useful for larger commercial entities. I’m sure you can find quite a few YouTube videos discussing this topic in detail.

Edited by wgstarks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Hoopster said:

OK, you got me intrigued and I have a lot of time on my hands.  I bought a cheap HP Elite 8300 SFF computer (i5, 8GB RAM) from eBay and one of these mini PCs (8GB RAM/256 GB SSD) from AliExpress.

If you dont agree opnsense with zenarmor on the free license is absolutely hands down the best thing you ever used I will eat my hat (words) because I have never used anything better. 

There is also a way to have a similar pfblocker experience if you google. Its well documented now. 

Edited by PeteAsking