SMB shares not updating on Windows client machines?

Unraid server running latest build. I have several Window computers hooked up to my network, having several mapped drives. If I delete/add files off of computer A and then access that folder on computer B those files won't be there. I'll have to reboot computer B to see the new results. Even if I refresh the folder the updated file listing is still the old listing. What is keeping my file listing prisoner? Something is caching them some where. Could it be that Simple Features cache plugin? I can try to remove it and find out, but wanted to ask here first.

Thanks.

Well I did check the disk shares and the files WERE there.  No matter what I do when using the USER share I cannot see the newly created folders/files, but not until I reboot. Since this is just happening with the USER share and NOT the disk share it seems to be an issue related to UNraid, correct? What the heck would cause this? I use my user share %100 of the time and now finding out I may not be seeing all my folders and files on that user share is a very serious issue. I have lots of other people accessing this UNraid server. I have over 20 terabytes of data on it and lots of people count on being able to access their user shares. The last thing I want to do is DOWN grade back to 4.7. There shouldn't be such bugs like this at this time with an RC, no?

Well I did check the disk shares and the files WERE there.  No matter what I do when using the USER share I cannot see the newly created folders/files, but not until I reboot.

Do you mean you have to reboot one of the windows machines?

Since this is just happening with the USER share and NOT the disk share it seems to be an issue related to UNraid, correct? What the heck would cause this? I use my user share %100 of the time and now finding out I may not be seeing all my folders and files on that user share is a very serious issue. I have lots of other people accessing this UNraid server. I have over 20 terabytes of data on it and lots of people count on being able to access their user shares. The last thing I want to do is DOWN grade back to 4.7. There shouldn't be such bugs like this at this time with an RC, no?

If you get this to happen again, please send me an email.  [email protected]

Well I did check the disk shares and the files WERE there.  No matter what I do when using the USER share I cannot see the newly created folders/files, but not until I reboot.

Do you mean you have to reboot one of the windows machines?

Since this is just happening with the USER share and NOT the disk share it seems to be an issue related to UNraid, correct? What the heck would cause this? I use my user share %100 of the time and now finding out I may not be seeing all my folders and files on that user share is a very serious issue. I have lots of other people accessing this UNraid server. I have over 20 terabytes of data on it and lots of people count on being able to access their user shares. The last thing I want to do is DOWN grade back to 4.7. There shouldn't be such bugs like this at this time with an RC, no?

If you get this to happen again, please send me an email.  [email protected]

This just happened today to me. I guess I'll just send you an email telling you it happened to me?

• 2 months later...

I have seen this problem happen a couple of times too on different Windows 7 machines.  Both times, files were moved around on the shares and the Windows 7 machines wouldn't refresh without rebooting the PC.  I am running 5.0-rc11.

just to confuse this matter - i've noticed this with windows on windows .. aka Win 7 clients connecting to a Windows Server 2008R2. this could be a bug in the windows stack. reboot of the affected machine usually fixes it also.

I was getting that on my Win7 machine accessing a directory on a local drive. Fastest way to get a current listing is to simply press F5.

F5 wasn't working for me, I either needed to reboot or write a file to the directory.

Had this problem like crazy with rc8a. Clicking something outside the share than back on a file name (not empty space) and hitting F5 usually (not always) worked for me.

Finally had enough so I updated to rc11 and was certain to run the new permissions utility right after. Everything has been fine for 1 week now, not a single refresh problem where before it was almost access.

• 2 months later...

just ran into this problem on 5.0 rc12.

win7, have a network mapping to the TV share called T. inside that TV share (split level 3) I've got the basic structure of: T:\TV\Show Name\Season ##\files

If I delete a Season folder I still see it.. if I try and go into it it shows 'T:\TV\Show Name\Season ## is not accessible.  Access is denied.'. So it's like windows has the folder cached.. hitting F5 does nothing. Navigating out of the folder and back into it the show folder I still see it. Closing windows explorer and going back in.. its still there. Closing ALL the windows explorers I had opened to the NAS and then opening a new window.. its now gone. So it appears that if Windows has a connection to the SMB it wont get the updated info.. it must be caching the folders until the 'session' expires?

just ran into this problem on 5.0 rc12.

win7, have a network mapping to the TV share called T. inside that TV share (split level 3) I've got the basic structure of: T:\TV\Show Name\Season ##\files

If I delete a Season folder I still see it.. if I try and go into it it shows 'T:\TV\Show Name\Season ## is not accessible.  Access is denied.'. So it's like windows has the folder cached.. hitting F5 does nothing. Navigating out of the folder and back into it the show folder I still see it. Closing windows explorer and going back in.. its still there. Closing ALL the windows explorers I had opened to the NAS and then opening a new window.. its now gone. So it appears that if Windows has a connection to the SMB it wont get the updated info.. it must be caching the folders until the 'session' expires?

If you google this as strictly a Win7 problem, you will find that the problem has existed in some form since the introduction of Win7.  Unfortunately (depending on your perspective), the problem is hit-or-miss situation.  (I have it on certain folders on one logical drive on my Win7 machine!)  MS has not released an update to Windows Explorer which fixes the problem. 

• 1 month later...

the same thing happens in windows 8, only thing that helps is rebooting either machine (pc or server) or creating a file in the share. before using unRAID i was using a qnap nas (with raid5) where i haven't had this problem. on technet are some threads with hundreds of postings and some workarounds, but nothing seems to fix the problem.

€: setting the timeserver in windows to pool.ntp.org solved my problem, server and client were a few seconds out of sync!

I was absolutely plagued by this as well. It happened all the time and simply accessing files became a tremendous chore.

My solution was this:

Control Panel > Sync Center > Manage Offline Files (bottom left menu, or type it in search box)

Click Disable Offline Files

This fixed it for me immediately, didn't even have to reboot. It's been fine for over one month without a single issue.