[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

The passwords feature is a great addition, although not one I need (at the moment) but is there any way to connect via the Web-VNC without having to send a blank password.

If I click send password with a blank password, then I can connect fine, but the pop-up box doesn't disappear.  Not a massive problem but I can't seem to work out how to close it without disconnecting.

I see what you saying.  I found the problem and will update tonight with the other fixes.

Thanks for all your hard work.  I'm turning into a VM fanatic. This is probably the greatest thing to hit UnRAID since I started out with V4.7!

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The passwords feature is a great addition, although not one I need (at the moment) but is there any way to connect via the Web-VNC without having to send a blank password.

If I click send password with a blank password, then I can connect fine, but the pop-up box doesn't disappear.  Not a massive problem but I can't seem to work out how to close it without disconnecting.

I see what you saying.  I found the problem and will update tonight with the other fixes.

Thanks for all your hard work.  I'm turning into a VM fanatic. This is probably the greatest thing to hit UnRAID since I started out with V4.7!

Thanks.  If you want to remove the password just edit the vm and save it without any changes. Any password will be removed.

I fixed the usb, spaces in names and password issues.  I also combined the virtMan.plg with the dynamix.kvm.manage.plg.  The virtMan.plg can be removed from the plugins tab.  But don't delete the /boot/config/plugins/virtMan directory till you update or you will loose your xml's.  I have it copy virtMan.img to /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/domain.img

Another question: Is there a way to pass ports over to the guest system so that it is accessable from the outside? I am trying to setup a tvheadend server :)

Maybe this is helpfull: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Networking#Redirecting_ports

You don't have to pass any ports to the host to access the VM from the outside.

The VM gets its own IP, so you just use that to connect to it.

I have a Tvheadend server set up on an Ubuntu VM here and it works without any port redirecting.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you want?

Another question: Is there a way to pass ports over to the guest system so that it is accessable from the outside? I am trying to setup a tvheadend server :)

Maybe this is helpfull: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Networking#Redirecting_ports

You don't have to pass any ports to the host to access the VM from the outside.

The VM gets its own IP, so you just use that to connect to it.

I have a Tvheadend server set up on an Ubuntu VM here and it works without any port redirecting.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you want?

Yep, that's the way I have found it to work.  My routers LAN page is starting to look very very full! More like a medium size business than a home network for two people...  ;D

Like the others said you don't need it because you can just connect the the ipaddresssort of your vm.  However it was an interesting read.  Say for RDP to a windows vm.  You wouldn't need to know the ip of the vm.  You could just connect to unRAID (tower:5564). I have not tested this but read here for passing qemu port redirect commands to libvirt.

http://snippets.webaware.com.au/howto/running-qemu-with-port-redirection-through-libvirt/

Here's the code.  The plugin will automatically add the namespace line.

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-redir'/>
    <qemu:arg value='tcp:5564::3389'/>
</qemu:commandline>

And you have to change <interface type='network' to 'user'.

Just upgraded to the latest version of VM Manager but I am getting an error. I did remove the VirtMan plugin and I did not delete any config folders before upgrading. I have also tried rebooting the server and reinstalled vmMan but still get the same errors. I had to bust out my old desktop to even type this because all my VM's don't function... It's a sad day  ;D

Error: You must enable bridging in network settings

Warning: libvirt_connect(): Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 271 Warning: libvirt_node_get_info() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1408 Warning: libvirt_node_get_info(): Invalid arguments in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1408 Warning: libvirt_list_domains() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 677 Warning: libvirt_list_domains(): Invalid arguments in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 677

I have bridging disabled in my settings config because I have installed a pfSense VM and I have modified my go file to setup bridges on eth1 and eth2. eth0 (which is unRAID) therefore does not need a bridge. I am assuming you wrote a check in the code to detect if bridging is enabled in unRAID and to give an error if it isn't turned on? If so, could we make and exception to that rule? Note: everything was working fine with the settings above with the previous versions of vmMan and VirtMan installed.

Update 1: If I go to KVM -> Settings and turn on Libvirt Control it starts and then the VM's start. I then rebooted to the server to see if it would autostart but it does not. I have to manually turn it on after each reboot.

Maybe you could write a check to see if there are other bridges enabled?

I can remove the bridging message.  It's just a message that's all.  Not sure why libvirt is not starting.  I think I did a check on complete server startup. I know I tested stopped and started the array several times.  Maybe you could check if it starts and stops with the array.

Update 1: If I go to KVM -> Settings and turn on Libvirt Control it starts and then the VM's start. I then rebooted to the server to see if it would autostart but it does not. I have to manually turn it on after each reboot.

Maybe you could write a check to see if there are other bridges enabled?

I can remove the bridging message.  It's just a message that's all.  Not sure why libvirt is not starting.  I think I did a check on complete server startup. I know I tested stopped and started the array several times.  Maybe you could check if it starts and stops with the array.

Just stopped and started the array but libvirt does not start when the array is started either...

I think I got it working. I removed the plugin and restarted the server and reinstalled. It now starts up. I still have the no bridging message but that really doesn't bother me.

Good.  Wonder what the problem was though.  Was virtMan still installed?  I just changed the bridge check to use the command line instead of the unRAID bridging variable. It will also show the first bridge in create vm tab.

I think I got it working. I removed the plugin and restarted the server and reinstalled. It now starts up. I still have the no bridging message but that really doesn't bother me.

Good.  Wonder what the problem was though.  Was virtMan still installed?  I just changed the bridge check to use the command line instead of the unRAID bridging variable. It will also show the first bridge in create vm tab.

yeah I did have virtman still installed. Since my internet runs through a VM I figured i better download the new update before I turned off the internet. I figured if i removed virtman after and rebooted then it would figure its self out. Just updated and the error message is gone and one of my bridges does show up when i went to create a new VM.

dmacias-- you might want to clarify the order (and method) of removing the now defunct plugin. I totally misunderstood and lost all my xml's.

I should have read the instructions more carefully. (banging my head on desk).

[EDIT] Now I have a new problem. I'm trying to recreate my VM's by using CreateVM and not selecting a CD and just pointing at the VM disks. But they are not able to see the network, and not able to use 9p properly. It looks like the default bridge became docker0 instead of br0.

What can I do to salvage my VM's?

---I'm going to post a separate topic on so I am not hijacking the main.

dmacias-- you might want to clarify the order (and method) of removing the now defunct plugin. I totally misunderstood and lost all my xml's.

I should have read the instructions more carefully. (banging my head on desk).

[EDIT] Now I have a new problem. I'm trying to recreate my VM's by using CreateVM and not selecting a CD and just pointing at the VM disks. But they are not able to see the network, and not able to use 9p properly. It looks like the default bridge became docker0 instead of br0.

What can I do to salvage my VM's?

---I'm going to post a separate topic on so I am not hijacking the main.

I thought the red text would help but I guess not. :( Did you manually delete /boot/config/plugins/virtMan? If not you can copy the virtMan.img to /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manger and rename to domain.img.  Removing the plugin from the webgui doesn't remove that.  I didn't think about docker creating a bridge. I'll fix when I get home later.

Edit also if you have a backup of your flash they may be on there.

Since I have upgrade to v6 beta 14 it seems that every time I reboot the system I have to go to the KVM->Settings tab and press the Start button to get libvirt running again so I can access my VM's.  Should I need to do this? 

Is there something I can do so that libvirt is automatically started.  I do not have an VM's set to auto-start so this is not a great hardship, but I expect it is not expected behaviour?

Since I have upgrade to v6 beta 14 it seems that every time I reboot the system I have to go to the KVM->Settings tab and press the Start button to get libvirt running again so I can access my VM's.  Should I need to do this? 

Is there something I can do so that libvirt is automatically started.  I do not have an VM's set to auto-start so this is not a great hardship, but I expect it is not expected behaviour?

I do not experience the same. What version of the plugin are you using?

I have the same problem as itimpi.

Using 2015.02.15a

Kevin.

I am also using that version of the plugin (which is apparently the latest when I do a check for updates).

At one point I had the separate libvirt plugin, but I removed it before updating to the version of the KVM plugin with it integrated.  I am wondering if there is any 'debris' left behind that I might need to remove?

I have the same problem as itimpi.

Using 2015.02.15a

Kevin.

The separate virtman plugin was integrated. You need to remove that on the plugin tab.  I think it's called libvirt management. Just don't delete the virtman.img on your flash. The plugin should copy it to the dynamix kvm folder and rename it domain.img.  And once your sure everything's good you can delete the virtman folder from the flash drive.

• trurl unpinned this topic