Dynamix - V6 Plugins

hi guys, 

I have a ASUS -tuf gamming h470-pro motherboard and i can't mange to get the fan speed controller to show :( any ideas. I am really annoyed as my temps are quite high during parrity because the fans never spin up :( .

i don't really want them running fully on either, as that would drive me creazy and wear the fans out. 

Share Floor (unRAID 6.9 or later)

creates a cronjob to do a regular scan on user shares and change the minimum share floor value according to the largest file found in the share.

May I suggest enhancement to Share Floor:

1)  Set the floor value using average mode file size.  I do not want 1 very large and rare file out of 1000 tiny files to dictate the floor value.

2)  Ignore/exclude shares.  I may wish to set my own share floor value, and I don't want Share Floor to overwrite the value that I specified.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Ok, it seems to me...Sorry to say...That this ONE thread for ALL DYNAMIX - V6 PLUGINS is just a poor idea.  

To me it seems that DYNAMIX - V6 PLUGINS has more or less lost it's developers and thus is now lacking in support.  I have read that it seems ONE person is working, when he can, on things, but that is it.  Thus an issue for sure.   Heck I can't even get a single reply to issues I have reported. 

So just wanted to say that DYNAMIX was a great plugin at one point and was a MUST HAVE...Now is sadly lacking due to developers.

They do not get paid, so I get it.  But now Plugins we have come to use and rely on are, well, just lacking. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, spl147 said:

Agreed! i also think the system temp and fanspeed plugins should be part of the OS. the github issues even go unanswered!

i have one open from 3/2021 with not a single reply!

Yes, I have posted an issue with the TEMP and FAN control where can not even detect the fans and one even on the NETWORK STATS all being broken images from upgrading to the current version of unRAID.  No replies on either. 

I miss them...and I do understand they did these for free.  But it so hurts when they just "go away". 

I also agree that at this point, unRAID should be more mature product in such things as dealing with fans etc that the plugin were doing.  Sadly, even unRAID seems to be underdeveloped to some degree.  (IMHO...Even though it is good and I have used it for...gosh...from when they came out.)

Edited by David Bott
1 hour ago, David Bott said:

To me it seems that DYNAMIX - V6 PLUGINS has more or less lost it's developers and thus is now lacking in support. 

This concerns me.  I don't want to build upon a platform that has lost support, enhancements, integration, or popularity.  Some of these plugins should have been incorporated into UnRAID's codebase.

Hey all!

I've been searching the forums since 6.10.3 has released and have not seen an answer to this question:

Is ssd trim supported for ex-fat formatted drives within the unassigned devices pool? I have a drive that is hot swap-able for traveling but it's formatted in ex-fat. I see unraid notifications on 6.9.2 that it's not supported but since 6.10.3 the kernel was updated to 5.13 which should introduce trim for ex-fat but I'm unsure as I have not upgraded yet.

Long story short does trim work for ex-fat drives now on 6.10.3? Anyone have experience with this?

S3 Sleep Plugin Problem with Disk Activity

Issue: 

S3 debug shows it monitors disk activity on disk sdb and resets the timer meaning the NAS never goes to sleep.

Solution investigation so far:

1. Ensured 'Wait for Array inactivity' was set to Yes, exclude cache, and monitoring was set to Counters only.

Result:

"s3_sleep: Disk activity on going: sdb" 

"s3_sleep: Disk activity detected. Reset timers."

2. Stopped all dockers, disabled the Cached Directories Plugin.

Result:

3. sdb is my 'Disk 3' in the array and only had a small number of directories and ripped DVD iso's used by Emby Server (docker now stopped).  So I ran an unbalance on Disk 3 and moved all to Disk 4. 

Result:

4. Amended each and every share to exclude Disk 3 and deleted the remnant empty directory on Disk 3 (from the ISOs).  Rebooted.  Stopped all dockers. 

Result:

5. Ran inotifywait -r -m /mnt/disk3  and it showed screen after screen of this:

"/mnt/disk3/ OPEN,ISDIR 
/mnt/disk3/ ACCESS,ISDIR 
/mnt/disk3/ CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE,ISDIR "

As far as I can tell, Disk3 should not have any activity that should trigger the S3 plugin to think there is.  Disk3 is specifically excluded in all shares and yet S3 Sleep will not put the NAS to sleep because it detects activity on disk3.  The Syslog shows this detection happening every minute.  Diagnostics attached.

What is going on and how can it be solved?  Thanks.

EDIT:  I also disabled the Dynamix Autofan plugin too because it appeared to get drive temps and I thought that may have been the cause.  But no!

nas-diagnostics-20220823-0923(s3 sleep issue).zip

Edited by Bob Corless
On 8/23/2022 at 9:49 AM, Bob Corless said:

S3 Sleep Plugin Problem with Disk Activity

Issue: 

S3 debug shows it monitors disk activity on disk sdb and resets the timer meaning the NAS never goes to sleep.

Solution investigation so far:

1. Ensured 'Wait for Array inactivity' was set to Yes, exclude cache, and monitoring was set to Counters only.

Result:

2. Stopped all dockers, disabled the Cached Directories Plugin.

Result:

3. sdb is my 'Disk 3' in the array and only had a small number of directories and ripped DVD iso's used by Emby Server (docker now stopped).  So I ran an unbalance on Disk 3 and moved all to Disk 4. 

Result:

4. Amended each and every share to exclude Disk 3 and deleted the remnant empty directory on Disk 3 (from the ISOs).  Rebooted.  Stopped all dockers. 

Result:

5. Ran inotifywait -r -m /mnt/disk3  and it showed screen after screen of this:

"/mnt/disk3/ OPEN,ISDIR 
/mnt/disk3/ ACCESS,ISDIR 
/mnt/disk3/ CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE,ISDIR "

As far as I can tell, Disk3 should not have any activity that should trigger the S3 plugin to think there is.  Disk3 is specifically excluded in all shares and yet S3 Sleep will not put the NAS to sleep because it detects activity on disk3.  The Syslog shows this detection happening every minute.  Diagnostics attached.

What is going on and how can it be solved?  Thanks.

EDIT:  I also disabled the Dynamix Autofan plugin too because it appeared to get drive temps and I thought that may have been the cause.  But no!

nas-diagnostics-20220823-0923(s3 sleep issue).zip 108.71 kB · 1 download

Anyone?  Seems a bit quiet in here this week!  Is everyone on summer hols?!!!

On 8/20/2022 at 6:38 PM, David Bott said:

Yes, I have posted an issue with the TEMP and FAN control where can not even detect the fans and one even on the NETWORK STATS all being broken images from upgrading to the current version of unRAID.  No replies on either. 

Successful detection is outside the scope of the plugin. Your milage may vary depending on your hardware.

The Network stats plugin works fine with all Unraid versions, including latest beta release 6.11.0-rc4

On 8/20/2022 at 6:38 PM, David Bott said:

I also agree that at this point, unRAID should be more mature product in such things as dealing with fans etc that the plugin were doing.  Sadly, even unRAID seems to be underdeveloped to some degree.

It is impossible for Limetech (or anyone else) to test all possible hardware combinations out there and ensure TEMp and FANS all work. It is a deliberate decision to make this optional plugin, as success can't be guaranteed.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:10 PM, Jaybau said:

This concerns me.  I don't want to build upon a platform that has lost support, enhancements, integration, or popularity. 

Don't know what the concern is, but development is still in place. Though most of my time I spend on developing Unraid itself.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Test with docker and vm services disabled, and see if that makes a difference.

Had done.  Made no difference.  S3 Sleep thinks there is activity on one specific drive which is not in any share or any docker.  I don't have any VMs.  Even disabled Cached directories.

S3 sleep detects there is activity (not thinking). When read/write counters change it means something is happening.

I have seen situations when a SATA controller card is used, counters are incorrectly updated, in that case you can try the other detection method which is to monitor the reported state of the disk.

2 hours ago, bonienl said:

S3 sleep detects there is activity (not thinking). When read/write counters change it means something is happening.

I have seen situations when a SATA controller card is used, counters are incorrectly updated, in that case you can try the other detection method which is to monitor the reported state of the disk.

Semantics and grammar aside, how does one determine what that 'something' is?  Without understanding the cause there is no remedy.  Perhaps it's more of a general Unraid question than it is of the plugin itself.  All I know is that I have removed as many potential causes that my limited knowledge will allow and then reviewed the SYSLOG when the plugin is in debug mode.  I even moved all data off the drive and removed it from shares and any potential docker involvement.  And yet still there is a message of activity on SDB.

Is there any temporary way to exclude this drive to see if the problem resolves itself or the issue just moves to another disk?

Thanks for the replies.  In regards to the temp and fan controls.  Understood...But there not many chips that do this. 

The Network stats plugin works fine with all Unraid versions, including latest beta release 6.11.0-rc4

Funny you mention that seeing it just was REMOVED as depreciated. I had shown a screen grab of the broken images that used to be the network stats which only occured after moving to the current version on unRAID.

Thank you again for the replies. 

2 hours ago, Bob Corless said:

And yet still there is a message of activity on SDB.

What does the Main page show, a green icon (active disk) or grey icon (inactive disk)?

Do you have any scheduled tasks created which may access disks?

2 hours ago, Bob Corless said:

Is there any temporary way to exclude this drive to see if the problem resolves itself or the issue just moves to another disk?

The only thing I can think of is to completely move the content of the disk to another disk (i.e. make the disk completely empty).

Also make sure that your general include/exclude rules (see Settings -> Global Share Settings) and per share include/exclude rules (see Shares -> <share name>) do not force to use the disk in question.

7 hours ago, bonienl said:

What does the Main page show, a green icon (active disk) or grey icon (inactive disk)?

The only thing I can think of is to completely move the content of the disk to another disk (i.e. make the disk completely empty).

Also make sure that your general include/exclude rules (see Settings -> Global Share Settings) and per share include/exclude rules (see Shares -> <share name>) do not force to use the disk in question.

Green - active.  But I'm sure I have seen it spun down (grey) and the same message issued.  Could be wrong so I will double check.

Scheduled tasks in the evening only about midnight or early morning.

I have already moved everything off the drive and removed from shares etc.  It is completely empty.

Each and every share is set to exclude the drive.  Short of physically removing it, not sure what else I could do to isolate it from the rest of the system.  I see that in the syslog that S3 plugin reports both includes and excludes on the disks.

Aug 26 16:28:11 NAS s3_sleep: ----------------------------------------------
Aug 26 16:28:11 NAS s3_sleep: included disks=sdb sdc sdd sde sdf sdg sdh
Aug 26 16:28:11 NAS s3_sleep: excluded disks=sda
Aug 26 16:28:11 NAS s3_sleep: ----------------------------------------------

It would be good to move the sdb from included to excluded just for testing!

EDIT:

If I power all the drives down, the parity and disk 1 spin up almost immediately and then S3 Sleep reports activity on the disk 1.  Which is fair enough!  With disk 3 spun down (grey on the main sheet) it is not seen with any activity.

What I did notice in the Syslog however was that when I do not monitor disk activity, and the disks are 'green' on the sheet, the SYSLOG for S3 Plugin reports:

Aug 26 20:34:42 NAS s3_sleep: included disks=sdb sdc sdd sde sdf sdg sdh
Aug 26 20:34:42 NAS s3_sleep: excluded disks=sda
Aug 26 20:34:42 NAS s3_sleep: ----------------------------------------------
Aug 26 20:34:42 NAS s3_sleep: s3_sleep process ID 14830 started, To terminate it, type: s3_sleep -q
Aug 26 20:34:42 NAS s3_sleep: All monitored HDDs are spun down

so either the system is erroneously reporting all drives are spun down when they are not, or the plugin throws out that message when monitor disk activity is set to No, irrespective of whether the disks are spun down or not.

Something is definitely amiss with this disk monitoring.

I came across a post from a couple of years ago implying that HDPARM was not reliable in some instances.  Perhaps the same might be true of my MB set up - Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 running an Intel 2500K which has a mix of the Intel SATA ports and Marvel. Dunno,  Beginning to grasp at straws now!

Edited by Bob Corless
On 10/29/2021 at 11:37 AM, multiplY said:

Hi, since i updated to unraid Version 6.9.2, i have a Problem with the S3 Sleep Plugin.

It seemed to shut the system down instead of sleep and never came back up, i mirrored the syslog to flash and now finaly found the time to look into it but i don't really understand why its happening:

The Server was supposed to go sleep at 2:00 and wakeup the same day at 19:00.

To Achive this i set this custom command before sleep:

echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
echo `date '+%s' --date='19:00:00'` > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

It was working fine for years.

In the syslog i now saw whats happening:

Its going to sleep at night as planned:

Oct  6 02:00:16 unRAID s3_sleep: Disk activity detected. Reset timers.
Oct  6 02:01:16 unRAID s3_sleep: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Oct  6 02:01:16 unRAID s3_sleep: Extra delay period running: 0 minute(s)
Oct  6 02:01:16 unRAID s3_sleep: Initialize TCP activity counter
Oct  6 02:02:16 unRAID s3_sleep: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Oct  6 02:02:16 unRAID s3_sleep: Check TCP/SSH/TTY/IP activity
Oct  6 02:02:38 unRAID s3_sleep: Communication state is idle
Oct  6 02:02:38 unRAID s3_sleep: Execute custom commands before sleep
Oct  6 02:02:38 unRAID s3_sleep: Enter sleep state now
Oct  6 02:02:38 unRAID kernel: PM: suspend entry (deep)
Oct  6 02:02:38 unRAID kernel: Filesystems sync: 0.003 seconds

But when it wakes up, it seems to do some stuff that was supposed to be done before sleep but i never looked into the syslog before the problem so it could be normal:

Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: OOM killer disabled.
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.000 seconds) done.
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: printk: Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: e1000e: EEE TX LPI TIMER: 00000011
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sde] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdf] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdf] Stopping disk
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sde] Stopping disk
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] Stopping disk
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Stopping disk
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Stopping disk
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: bond0: (slave eth0): link status definitely down, disabling slave
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: bond0: now running without any active interface!
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: br0: port 1(bond0) entered disabled state
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: ACPI: Preparing to enter system sleep state S3
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: PM: Saving platform NVS memory
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: Disabling non-boot CPUs ...

After that it seems to do normal wakeup stuff:

Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: smpboot: CPU 1 is now offline
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: smpboot: CPU 2 is now offline
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: smpboot: CPU 3 is now offline
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: ACPI: Low-level resume complete
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: PM: Restoring platform NVS memory
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: smpboot: Scheduler frequency invariance went wobbly, disabling!
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: Enabling non-boot CPUs ...
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: x86: Booting SMP configuration:
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 1 APIC 0x2
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: CPU1 is up
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 2 APIC 0x1
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: CPU2 is up
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 3 APIC 0x3
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: CPU3 is up
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: ACPI: Waking up from system sleep state S3
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Starting disk
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sde] Starting disk
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Starting disk
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] Starting disk
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdf] Starting disk

After that, there seems to be the problem, s3_sleep initiates a shutdown, which its not supposed to do and while at the same time still wakeup tasks are execudet like spinup:

Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID s3_sleep: Shutdown system now
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdc
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID shutdown[27671]: shutting down for system halt
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID init: Switching to runlevel: 0
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID s3_sleep: System woken-up. Reset timers
Oct  6 19:00:12 unRAID init: Trying to re-exec init
Oct  6 19:00:14 unRAID kernel: mdcmd (46): nocheck cancel
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID emhttpd: Spinning up all drives...
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdd
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sde
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdb
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdf
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdc
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sda
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID emhttpd: Stopping services...
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID emhttpd: shcmd (74385): /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt stop
Oct  6 19:00:15 unRAID root: Waiting on VMs to shutdown

Here are my Plugin-settings, its Version 3.0.8

image.thumb.png.82f14d30b85509932fcc9a5e899dd958.png

Full syslog is also attached. I hope you can help me with this problem, thanks in advance.

syslog 222.37 kB · 1 download

Hey, i still have this Problem. Can somebody see what the Problem is?

On 8/20/2021 at 2:04 PM, Einsteinjr said:

Hi,

For Fans Auto Control, is there any way to exclude Unassigned Disks?  I'm finding that when the plugin runs, it also looks at the temperature of any unassigned disks - despite not having the option to exclude them in the GUI.

Edit: another issue I'm seeing is that the fan control doesn't seem to persist after  a reboot.  I don't see any output in the syslog until I disable/enable the PWM controller again.  Note that I only have 1 controller enabled at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

For anyone looking to ignore an unassigned drive in fan control, here's how you can manually exclude it.  First get the id of the drive (sdx, etc.).  Then edit the plugin config like so:
image.thumb.png.870381ae825299859ab4b04c21c07f49.png

Note the `...` represents a long line of options, but at the end I added `sdh` which is my unassigned drive to the `-e` parameter.  It will not show up in the gui menu, but it will be excluded.
Restart or uninstall/reinstall the plugin.  It was back to only using the spinning disks for temp checks.

Edited by rcketscientist
  • Thanks 1

As I am unsure which of your plugins might be the culprit - if at all, I'm asking here. I am unable to view my system log via the Tools tab. Even in the diagnostics it's empty and there only is a syslog1.log. This is the error I'm seeing:

Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 394580000 bytes) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/Syslog.php on line 18

I'm running unRAID 6.10.3 with nearly all of your plugins. This has been an issue for at least a couple of weeks now - so possibly on of the latest updates?

On 8/26/2022 at 5:07 PM, bonienl said:

1.  It's green.

2. Only scheduled tasks are Move once per day at 13:00PM and a backup at 04:00AM

3. Have already moved all content off disk (Unbalance) and then removed any reference in any share.  The drive should be well and truly not used/accessed.  And yet I get messages to say it's preventing sleep and timers reset.