[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

oot@Tower:~# ipmi-fru 
FRU Inventory Device: Default FRU Device (ID 00h)
  FRU Error: board info area checksum invalid
  FRU Product Manufacturer Name: ASRockRack

The syslog doesn't show any errors.

It's not working because of the checksum error. I'll shorten the grep to Manufacturer instead of Board Manufacturer.  That should fix it for you. But I'd still check into that error.  bmc-device --cold-reset  will reset the bmc as if you unplugged it from the wall. A reflash or factory reset of the BMC may be necessary.

bmc-device --cold reset gave me a syslog entry:
IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn b cmd 20, got netfn 0 cmd 0

Also a reset via the ASRock webUI was not working.

That may not be good. Those are the same errors I started getting. I was on the bios and bmc version just before latest when I started getting errors when trying to access the bmc. I started seeing those errors in the log. I updated both bios and bmc to latest. I was not able to see any sensor readings in the bios. I tried flashing back both bios and bmc with no luck. I was still able to see everything from the bmc webpage though. But soon after I lost mb, cpu temp sensor and a few voltage sensors.

I contacted Bob from ASRock USA on the tweaktown forums. He sent me a new BMC chip but that didn't fix it. I asked if replacing the bios chip might help. He told me since I was missing sensors I needed to RMA my board. I need to get a replacement first.

I switched to using the network connection and can still access the BMC but those sensors are still N/A.

Thanks for this plugin - works a treat bar saying my board isn't supported for Fan control. This would actually be VERY useful because the BMC default is rubbish - as someone said above the CPU temp isn't in line with disk temps (esp during a parity check!)

My board is a Supermicro X10SLL-F, what do you need from me/do I need to do to make this work?

Cheers!

Thanks for this plugin - works a treat bar saying my board isn't supported for Fan control. This would actually be VERY useful because the BMC default is rubbish - as someone said above the CPU temp isn't in line with disk temps (esp during a parity check!)

My board is a Supermicro X10SLL-F, what do you need from me/do I need to do to make this work?

Cheers!

I think I got all I need for the supermicro x9 & x10 boards. There's really only three settings for your board so far. I'll have to go back a few pages and re read to be sure. But there's low, normal and high. I'll just need some time to put together the fan settings page for your board and add a section to the ipmifan script.

Cheers!

I think I got all I need for the supermicro x9 & x10 boards. There's really only three settings for your board so far. I'll have to go back a few pages and re read to be sure. But there's low, normal and high. I'll just need some time to put together the fan settings page for your board and add a section to the ipmifan script.

Looking forward to it :)

If my board can't do proportional control it would be nice if a disk gets over say, 35C, it turns to medium and then 40C up to high!

Edit: Using the command a few pages back it seems all I have is minimum and maximum (00 min, 01 max).

Suppose it will have to do, better than nothing.

This question is only indirectly related to this plugin, but I'm hoping I may get an answer here.

If I configure my Supermicro mobo so that the fans run at "Optimal" speed I get warnings because the speed drops below the lower critical threshold.

1) Is there a way to adjust the lower critical threshold?

2) Should I adjust the lower critical threshold?

This question is only indirectly related to this plugin, but I'm hoping I may get an answer here.

If I configure my Supermicro mobo so that the fans run at "Optimal" speed I get warnings because the speed drops below the lower critical threshold.

1) Is there a way to adjust the lower critical threshold?

2) Should I adjust the lower critical threshold?

I adjusted my hdd fans to 0 but they still gave a warning so I disabled all event messages for them so they can turn off when all the hdds spin down. If you go to Tools/IPMI menu in webgui click on the Sensors Config tab, you can adjust the thresholds and events from there.

Sorry, but i seem to be lost in this thread :(

i'm setting up an C2550 in a DS380 and i installed this plugin regarding my problem, that i think the rear-fan is making too much noise.

But after configurig the fan-control the log tells me

2016-06-03 01:20:35 fan control config file updated, reloading settings.
2016-06-03 01:20:36 REAR_FAN1(80%):MB Temperature(41°C)

while the fancontinues to be stuck at 1100RPM

if there's anything in this thread considering this, if there's anything i missed, please just point me to it. i couldn't find it :(

Sorry, but i seem to be lost in this thread :(

i'm setting an C2550 in a DS380 and i installed this plugin regarding my problem, that i think the rear-fan is making too much noise.

if there's anything in this thread considering this, if there's anything i missed, please just point me to it. i couldn't find it :(

Is that the Silverstone fan that came with the case? If so, it's a 3pin fan and is not controllable by your motherboard. You need 4pin PWM fans. Also, while this plugin can control fans based on cpu and motherboard temps, I would recommend just setting up smartfan in the bios to control it. I do have the fan script reset the fans to auto when it's stopped but you never know, it could get stuck on a setting too low if the script was killed or your server crashed. I just controller the front 2 fans based on hdd temp.

Is that the Silverstone fan that came with the case? If so, it's a 3pin fan and is not controllable by your motherboard. You need 4pin PWM fans. Also, while this plugin can control fans based on cpu and motherboard temps, I would recommend just setting up smartfan in the bios to control it. I do have the fan script reset the fans to auto when it's stopped but you never know, it could get stuck on a setting too low if the script was killed or your server crashed. I just controller the front 2 fans based on hdd temp.

Yes indeed it is, must have missed that, whilst installation :)

as the fan, which is bothering me, is exactely this one and the server will be not easy accessable, once it's installed and up, any suggestions which fan to use instead?

And, btw. many thanks for the quick answer anyway!

Yes indeed it is, must have missed that, whilst installation :)

as the fan, which is bothering me, is exactely this one and the server will be not easy accessable, once it's installed and up, any suggestions which fan to use instead?

And, btw. many thanks for the quick answer anyway!

They are expensive and there may be cheaper similar alternatives but I use these Noctua fans http://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm. I would have got the P12 for the DS380 given the fine side fan mesh but that's all the local store had. The ones I got are quiet and work great.

I feel for you if you have to change the front fans. There's also a thread on here about that case and adding a plastic or cardboard shield to the side of the drive cage to force the air through the cage.

i'm setting up an C2550 in a DS380 and i installed this plugin regarding my problem, that i think the rear-fan is making too much noise.

I'm not an expert in this area, but wanted to comment - a fan at 1100rpm should not be making any noise.  And a fan at 1100rpm *may* not be moving enough air to be worth it.  It's my understanding that rpm's less than 2000 are essentially silent, unless it's a very cheap or broken fan.  I'd check that fan for damage, or stuff on the blades.  Or the 1100rpm number is incorrect.

I think he was saying they were too loud. The DS389 original 120mm case fans when plugged to his motherboard will run at full power, which is 25dBA @ 1200rpms. It's not controllable. However the Noctuas are 18dBA @ 1200rpms and go up to 22dBA @ 1500rpms. However my rear fan runs at only 400-600rpms which is silent and front 2 side fans go from 0-1500rpms @ 30°C-40°C hdd temp.

They are expensive and there may be cheaper similar alternatives but I use these Noctua fans http://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm. I would have got the P12 for the DS380 given the fine side fan mesh but that's all the local store had. The ones I got are quiet and work great.

I feel for you if you have to change the front fans. There's also a thread on here about that case and adding a plastic or cardboard shield to the side of the drive cage to force the air through the cage.

Why would you feel for me? In fact, that was a simple quest and i found the thread you mentioned, too.

Everything is really fine now, allthough i'm still figuring out how to place the actual hdds and the cables, just to improve it a little more.

Again, Thank you

Why would you feel for me? In fact, that was a simple quest and i found the thread you mentioned, too.

Everything is really fine now, allthough i'm still figuring out how to place the actual hdds and the cables, just to improve it a little more.

Again, Thank you

I meant if you had to swap out the two side fans. That can be a bit of work.

Have successfully got this working on the asrock c2750, same mobo as dmacias I think. I updated the firmware of both bmc and efi to latest, but had trouble getting temperature readings. I had to reset the bmc to factory default to get it to be sensible!

Thanks!

I seem to be able to get sensible CPU temps, but quite high mb temps 40-45 unless the fans are cranked up high. Any tips? Same DS380 case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those temps seem to be what I was getting. Look at the screen shot in the original post. I'm not sure that they are high. If they were over 65C I'd be worried. You could skew the smartfan in the bios to come on sooner or ramp up faster. You could also add a CPU fan which may help cool the motherboard.

Thanks. The drive temperatures are ok and stay ok in a parity check. It's just the mb temp that's a bit over 40. So if anything need to improve airflow over the mobo rather than the disks.

Edit: I'm just conscious of the asrock website quoting an operating temperature of up to 35 C and non operating temperature of above 40 C.

It is virtually impossible to keep the mb and CPU temp below 35 C without a jet engine blowing across it!

I believe those are for the ambient air temperature.

Operation temperature: 10°C ~ 35°C / Non operation temperature: -40°C ~ 70°C.

This is from Intel ark for the Avoton C2750 processor:

97°C Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).

And from the bmc for the CPU temp:

The Upper_Non_Critical_Threshold is 80°C.

I think your temps are ok.

Edit: you just don't want to operate it if your server room is above 35°C.

Oh great! My misunderstanding then. Thank you. I'll tune the fans down in that case. Room temp here almost never goes above 20 C so should be absolutely fine!

Thanks again for a very useful plugin and advice.

oot@Tower:~# ipmi-fru 
FRU Inventory Device: Default FRU Device (ID 00h)
  FRU Error: board info area checksum invalid
  FRU Product Manufacturer Name: ASRockRack

The syslog doesn't show any errors.

It's not working because of the checksum error. I'll shorten the grep to Manufacturer instead of Board Manufacturer.  That should fix it for you. But I'd still check into that error.  bmc-device --cold-reset  will reset the bmc as if you unplugged it from the wall. A reflash or factory reset of the BMC may be necessary.

bmc-device --cold reset gave me a syslog entry:
IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn b cmd 20, got netfn 0 cmd 0

Also a reset via the ASRock webUI was not working.

Any news on your board?

Unfortunately not dmacias. Here is the reply from the AsrockRack EU support:

I followed the forum thread but I do not understand what you need. About the vcore  & vccm : what type of psu are you using ?

I honestly don't know how to handle this. There is a clear error message that I send and they don'T understand the underlying issue?  :o

Unfortunately not dmacias. Here is the reply from the AsrockRack EU support:

I followed the forum thread but I do not understand what you need. About the vcore  & vccm : what type of psu are you using ?

I honestly don't know how to handle this. There is a clear error message that I send and they don'T understand the underlying issue?  :o

Are you able to connect using network settings in the plugin? Are any sensors N/A now in the plugin or bmc webgui? Most notably my cpu and mb temp are N/A and a couple voltage sensors. Also I can't see any sensors in the bios.