[support] limetech's docker repository

Ok... I'm trying to get Plex up and running and could use some help :)  It's a little more complicated than the Windows install!  I just don't understand the config at all for installing the docker package.  What goes in Container Volume and Host path?  I have my videos in a share called "Videos" and then each one is in it's own folder underneath.  Thanks for any help.

Ok... I'm trying to get Plex up and running and could use some help :)  It's a little more complicated than the Windows install!  I just don't understand the config at all for installing the docker package.  What goes in Container Volume and Host path?  I have my videos in a share called "Videos" and then each one is in it's own folder underneath.  Thanks for any help.

See Reply #155

hi all,

i have limetech's plex docker version 0.9.15.2 installed (a recent update to plex docker).  all of my media libraries were missing when i restarted plex.  had to re-add them.  also, had to re-add same libraries to all friends with whom i share Plex media.  anyone seeing this same problem?  a google search for "plex 0.9.15.2"  turned up a few recent posts on plex msg board where others report same problem.  (i have re-added all libraries so i am good.)  thanks. 

hi all,

i have limetech's plex docker version 0.9.15.2 installed (a recent update to plex docker).  all of my media libraries were missing when i restarted plex.  had to re-add them.  also, had to re-add same libraries to all friends with whom i share Plex media.  anyone seeing this same problem?  a google search for "plex 0.9.15.2"  turned up a few recent posts on plex msg board where others report same problem.  (i have re-added all libraries so i am good.)  thanks.

Post your volume mappings for this docker.

I am running limetech's plex docker and all is running just fine. Just it says atm that there is an update to the media server. Is this something I need to do myself or do I have to wait for limetech to update their docker and let unraid take it from there?

Pretty sure you just need to restart the docker, assuming the version you are trying to upgrade to doesn't require plexpass.

This may or may not be the right place for this as I am unsure if it is specific to the docker or not but figured this would be a good place to start.

I installed a hard drive I had laying around (a 320GB disk formatted as ext4) to act as a dedicated disk for transcoding so as not to beat on my cache drive constantly. I didn't want to add the disk to the array or add it as a cache disk so I am utilizing dlandon's Unassigned Devices plugin to mount the drive on boot. I setup my docker to map /transcode to /mnt/disks/transcode/ and made sure that the permissions were set to read/write.

I can see that the transcode is working and being written to the disk but it is unbelievably slow, I think the transcode has written about 40MB in two to three minutes to the disk. From what I can tell this isn't an issue with the disk itself as I test copied 1.5GB of video files and it completed in about a minute averaging 90MB/s.

Has anyone ever tried to setup the plex docker like this before who might have some pointers for me? Or at least clarify whether this is an issue specific to me and my setup or if others can reproduce the same results.

This may or may not be the right place for this as I am unsure if it is specific to the docker or not but figured this would be a good place to start.

I installed a hard drive I had laying around (a 320GB disk formatted as ext4) to act as a dedicated disk for transcoding so as not to beat on my cache drive constantly. I didn't want to add the disk to the array or add it as a cache disk so I am utilizing dlandon's Unassigned Devices plugin to mount the drive on boot. I setup my docker to map /transcode to /mnt/disks/transcode/ and made sure that the permissions were set to read/write.

I can see that the transcode is working and being written to the disk but it is unbelievably slow, I think the transcode has written about 40MB in two to three minutes to the disk. From what I can tell this isn't an issue with the disk itself as I test copied 1.5GB of video files and it completed in about a minute averaging 90MB/s.

Has anyone ever tried to setup the plex docker like this before who might have some pointers for me? Or at least clarify whether this is an issue specific to me and my setup or if others can reproduce the same results.

Is the video playing fine? Plex transcodes as needed. It speeds up and slows down when necessary.

Is the video playing fine? Plex transcodes as needed. It speeds up and slows down when necessary.

No, it hadn't even started playing after 20 minutes. The size of the folder on the transcode drive slowly grew but the video never actually started playing. When I finally gave up and cancelled it, it had only transcoded about 250MB of a 4GB video file.

I have been using the same video file for all my transcode testing and when I had it going to the cache drive (or to RAM) it started playback after about five to ten seconds.

I change the local streaming quality in my plex media player (this is all inside my LAN for testing) to around 480p so I can get an idea of the processor utilization for a lowish quality stream and see how much disk IO it creates. The end goal being for me to be able to figure out how many simultaneous streams my server can transcode without noticeable performance degradation.

I am running limetech's plex docker and all is running just fine. Just it says atm that there is an update to the media server. Is this something I need to do myself or do I have to wait for limetech to update their docker and let unraid take it from there?

Pretty sure you just need to restart the docker, assuming the version you are trying to upgrade to doesn't require plexpass.

I also have the message that an update is available. The update is for PlexPass. Is it possible to update with the LimeTech Docker? I've tried stopping the Plex Docker but nothing updates.

Total Plex newbie here, I've never used it in any capacity what-so-ever. I installed the Limetech Plex Media Server docker on unRaid 6.1.6.

I think the install went OK, the directory structure for all of the config files was automatically made. Using the official Plex app for Android my 'tower' shows up as a media server, but it tells me there is no media available.

Do I need to install some other plugin besides the Plex Media Server on unRaid? Does the attached screenshot show the correct configuration and is there anything else to configure?

config.png.7314580ea8ab5baa0f20370eec54249c.png

There is nothing more you need to install on unRAID but you need to configure Plex so it finds your media files.

Since you have the Host Path: set to /mnt/user/Movies/ I guess that this is where your movies are.

That folder is mapped to /movies and that is what the Plex app inside the container can see so you need to setup Plex and Add Library, select Movies and Add folders and browse for media folder and select Movies.

You can find the Plex Web page on same IP as your serve on port 32400 (like this http://192.168.1.101:32400)

The Limetech container doesn’t support PlexPass releases. You can check here what the different Plex containers supports: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41562.0

How easy is it to change the docker container for Plex? Make a copy of the "plexmediaserver" and install another docker container into the new copied folder "plexmediaserver2"? I'm thinking of using the Linuxserver Container over the Limetech Container. Is that possible?

I belive it's a lot easier than that. There is a thread about it but I don't have it now (I am not on my desktop PC).

If I remember, just stop the current container, install the new one with exactly same folder mappings and then unistall the old one. This is what I did when I changed from Needo to Linuxserver. But a backup of the config might be good to have...

The Limetech container doesn’t support PlexPass releases. You can check here what the different Plex containers supports: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41562.0

How easy is it to change the docker container for Plex? Make a copy of the "plexmediaserver" and install another docker container into the new copied folder "plexmediaserver2"? I'm thinking of using the Linuxserver Container over the Limetech Container. Is that possible?

It should just pick up where you left with your plex library. Just use the same volume mappings and you should be good. I switched from needo to linuxserver without issues. You may have to wait a little while for linuxserver to start the first time.

There is nothing more you need to install on unRAID but you need to configure Plex so it finds your media files.

Since you have the Host Path: set to /mnt/user/Movies/ I guess that this is where your movies are.

That folder is mapped to /movies and that is what the Plex app inside the container can see so you need to setup Plex and Add Library, select Movies and Add folders and browse for media folder and select Movies.

You can find the Plex Web page on same IP as your serve on port 32400 (like this http://192.168.1.101:32400)

Thanks for that information, is there somewhere I could have read this? I didn't see a link/button anywhere in the docker config page and there is really no documentation.

I went to the address you suggested, but clearly the page didn't load. Please see attached screenshot... any ideas?

EDIT: I figured it out, the address is actually https://192.168.1.101:32400/web

error.png.024de775a41e4e6574ec234581d16ee0.png

• Squid unpinned this topic