Unraid development news?

mostlydave

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like we stopped getting any news from LT on what to expect and when to expect it.

I have a bug where I edit a VMs config manually and then use the wizard to do something like change amount of RAM and, all the manual config is gone. LT did respond to my tread, but is this going to be fixed? When should we expect that? Are more features coming to VMs and when?

When should we expect stuff like this to be fixed, VMs are great and I love them, but the unraid management and config of them feels more like its in between Alpha and Beta stages to me right now, and maybe I'm missing it but I'm not seeing anything form LT on here about any coming features.

Truth is that there have been multiple things we've been working on for the business (both product and business development) and our time has been stretched fairly thin lately. Communication here on the forums is one of the areas that's been affected by this.

All I can say right at this very moment is to stay tuned. The 6.2 beta is almost ready for public consumption and we do have content prepared that explains all the new features and improvements.

Truth is that there have been multiple things we've been working on for the business (both product and business development) and our time has been stretched fairly thin lately. Communication here on the forums is one of the areas that's been affected by this.

All I can say right at this very moment is to stay tuned. The 6.2 beta is almost ready for public consumption and we do have content prepared that explains all the new features and improvements.

So jon, are us LT fanboys going to be getting a Xmas present?! [emoji6]

Maaaaaaayyyyybbbbeeeee...

;-)

You didnt ask which year.

Some history of Jon

Nov. 5 - So when I say "soon" here, take it in that context

Nov. 17 - In 6.2 (in internal testing right now), we have made some serious "under the hood" changes...

Dec. 13 - We really are very close to the 6.2 public beta. Final touches are being worked on now.

Dec. 18 - The 6.2 beta is almost ready for public consumption and we do have content prepared that explains all the new features and improvements

All in all pretty good track record, and a bright future ahead :D

It will drop Christmas morning, and then there will be all these stories about how folks ignored their families on Christmas day to watch their dual parity build.

Fine by me, wife is going away and I'm working and I have a VPN.... Bring it on...  ;D

You all by yourself on Christmas...  I'm thinking it will be more like this:

92019_story__photo%202.jpg

It will drop Christmas morning, and then there will be all these stories about how folks ignored their families on Christmas day to watch their dual parity build.

Fine by me, wife is going away and I'm working and I have a VPN.... Bring it on...  ;D

You all by yourself on Christmas...  I'm thinking it will be more like this:

'fraid not, I've pulled 13 hour shifts all over the Christmas weekend unfortunately...  :-[

Christmas has come and gone and no present from LT. Any new takes on the release pool?

Heres how you can play along at home.

It always corresponds with a Holiday.

It is always over.

The fun is when there's multiple Holidays close together.  For instance these are all in play for a public 6.2 Release.

New Years

Martin Luther King

Ground Hog Day

Chinese New Year

Ash Wednesday

Presidents Day

Daylight Saving Time

Ides of March

St Patrick's Day

Palm Sunday

Good Friday

Easter

Tax Day

Cinco de Mayo

Memorial Day

July Fourth

Labor Day

Columbus Day

Christmas has come and gone and no present from LT. Any new takes on the release pool?

It is always over.

The fun is when there's multiple Holidays close together.  For instance these are all in play for a public 6.2 Release.

New Years

Martin Luther King

Ground Hog Day

Chinese New Year

Ash Wednesday

Presidents Day

Daylight Saving Time

Ides of March

St Patrick's Day

Palm Sunday

Good Friday

Easter

Tax Day

Memorial Day

Cinco de Mayo

July Fourth

Labor Day

Columbus Day

Don't know when Chinese New Year is, but Cinco de Mayo is before Memorial Day.

It is always over.

New Years

Martin Luther King

Ground Hog Day

Chinese New Year

Ash Wednesday

Presidents Day

Daylight Saving Time

Ides of March

St Patrick's Day

Palm Sunday

Good Friday

Easter

Tax Day

Memorial Day

Cinco de Mayo

July Fourth

Labor Day

Columbus Day

Don't know when Chinese New Year is, but Cinco de Mayo is before Memorial Day.

I think it might be before MLK.

Not in that list. ;)

I guess if they are implementing Dual Parity into the next release (which I think was implied some time ago) then it's a big one.

Last time I raised the issue of lack of development/release communication I got a very curt response from Jonp (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42296.100). I perhaps wasn't 100% on some of the terms I used but my point was clear I think and it was brushed aside. Sort of P*$$*d me off actually so I stopped using the forums for a bit, but I go over myself and I like unRAID and the community so I came back. Anyway, if anything he was clear:

Why oh why oh why is LT so scared of publishing its plans to the community .....

There isn't any fear here, we just don't feel like having to maintain a public roadmap.  We tried it, it didn't work for our needs, and so we ditched it in favor of providing updates in other ways.

There are plenty of software projects that do not disclose a public roadmap in detail, and we are simply one of those.  That said, we have leaked tidbits of things we are working on here and there (dual parity comes to mind), and will continue to do so.  I plan on doing a blog post on version 6.2 before its released, detailing out some of the features, so that will expose you to more information on what's coming.

It comes down to cost / benefit.  A publicly maintained roadmap is all cost with very little payoff.  Someone (us) needs to not only publish it once, but maintain it and respond to public inquiries on it on an ongoing basis. That is a huge consumption of time and we don't see the benefit. We will respond to feature requests and defect reports and that's where our time is being spent and our focus belongs.

I have come to feel that LT don't want to post when they are going to release anything. Where there is no expectation there is no disappointment to manage. Where there is no promise there is no pressure to deliver.

Anyway, life is too short. unRAID is working fine and there still is plenty to play with in the Virtualisation and Docker area while all the while the base product is stable and that makes us all happy Fan Boys! :)

New Year Approaching!!

Considering how many changes are apparently in v6.2, I do hope LT takes time to VERY thoroughly TEST it before releasing it.    I presume the initial release will be a Beta ... and will NOT be automatically installed via update checks in v6.

The testing was a bit lax in the last few releases => note how quickly v6.1.5 followed v6.1.4 due to some oversights; and then the same thing with 6.1.6; and even 6.1.6 has some bugs that require patches in the GUI.

I hope that in addition to the 6.2 Beta there is a VERY WELL TESTED 6.1.7 to at least incorporate the known fixes to 6.1.6.

Any release that's not characterized as a Beta should have a VERY thorough testing regimen -- especially with the automated (although not automatic) updates that are now built into the GUI.

I hope that in addition to the 6.2 Beta there is a VERY WELL TESTED 6.1.7 to at least incorporate the known fixes to 6.1.6.

Might happen, but I expect it will go the way V5.x went, meaning V6.1.x will get no further support/update releases. Back in the early V6.x beta days, LT even posted that another V5.x was going to be released as the new official stable release to address some big issues and hold-over the people who will only run the official releases, but that never happened. It seems they only want to maintain/develop a single code branch.

Agree ... they did the same thing with v4 => v.7 was a VERY stable release, but had 3 known bugs in it that many expected would be fixed in a "final" v4.8 ... but that never happened.  They were fairly esoteric bugs, and many folks have run 4.7 for years without any issues => I still know a couple folks who are still using it ... if you just want a NAS the only compelling reason to go beyond it is support for > 2TB drives.

Ditto v5 => if you don't need Dockers or VMs it's really a very stable system that is actually less CPU intensive than v6.    I still have one server running v5, and it'll probably remain that way "forever"  [already maxed out in # of drives;  only used as a NAS; and is rock-solid stable].    I MAY, one of these days when a power failure forces it down, upgrade it ... but there's really no reason to.  [Current Uptime = 328 days]

v6.1 vs. 6.2 has one compelling feature coming that I'm aware of => dual parity.    But given the recent track record of 6.1.4, .5, and .6 vis-à-vis "glitches" that weren't caught in the testing process, I'll be very cautious about jumping on the 6.2 bandwagon until I've thoroughly tested it on my test server AND there's a lot of positive feedback from the early adopters.    LT has a very good history of thoroughly testing the basic NAS functionality, so I'm not really concerned, but the last 3 releases -- which were NOT characterized as Beta or RC's -- were disappointing with regards to the basic glitches that were missed in testing.    I have NO problem if LT wants us to be the "testers" ... but if that's the case the releases should be listed as RC's, and should not be offered with the "Check for Updates" button on the GUI.

Archived