New Application: S. N. A. P.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have added an internal SATA drive to my Unraid box and need to transfer data from it to the array before I clear it add it as a drive. 

I used SNAP to mount the internal drive and gave it a sharename.  It is an HFS+ filesystem. 

My question is, now that I have mounted the drive using SNAP, how do I actually transfer the data from it to the array?  What commands do I use?

Any help is appreciated.

I know this is a stupid question, but I am a Unix novice.  In the first post it says you must make sure you're at: root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# and not root@Tower:~#

How do you move from root@Tower:~# to root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# ? 

And then how do I get back? 

I am new ot unRAID but been using linux for 5+ years. In ubuntu it's a simple cd command which is change directory. so it may lookj something like this: 

cd /boot/config/snap

I will admit though, I am not sure what hte # symbol is for, something new to me in linux. I don't claim to know it all BUT do know how to change directories.  ;D

Does SNAP support 3TB externals? Anything special when using 3TB externals with SNAP?

Nov 29 20:06:58 Tower kernel: NTFS driver 2.1.29 [Flags: R/O MODULE].
Nov 29 20:06:58 Tower kernel: NTFS-fs error (device sdn1): parse_ntfs_boot_sector(): Volume size (2TiB) is too large for this architecture.  Maximum supported is 2TiB.  Sorry.
Nov 29 20:06:58 Tower kernel: NTFS-fs error (device sdn1): ntfs_fill_super(): Unsupported NTFS filesystem.

Does SNAP support 3TB externals? Anything special when using 3TB externals with SNAP?

Nov 29 20:06:58 Tower kernel: NTFS-fs error (device sdn1): parse_ntfs_boot_sector(): Volume size (2TiB) is too large for this architecture.  Maximum supported is 2TiB.  Sorry.
Nov 29 20:06:58 Tower kernel: NTFS-fs error (device sdn1): ntfs_fill_super(): Unsupported NTFS filesystem.

Drives over 2.2TB are not supported under unRAID 4.7

I don't know if anyone can help me. I am a unRAID newbie, so I'm having a headache trying to figure this issue out.

I used SNAP to mount/share one of my 1 TB drives as a non-array partition. The HDD was precleared and formatted w/ reiserfs using the unmenu format utility. It is mounted as a share called "temp" on the share.list file.

My issue is that whenever I try to access this drive, my Windows 7 x64 computer prompts me with a username and password unless I login (on my windows machine) as administrator or as guest. When I login as anything else, it doesn't matter what user/pass combination I enter, it doesn't let me access this share. When I login as admin, I can just type in "root" as username and leave my passwrd blank and I have access to that share.

Things started getting worse when I used it as my Sabnzbd, Couchpotato data directory. Now, when a movie is downloaded, couchpotato automatically takes that movie and copies it to a "movie" share on the array.

When my HTPC (running XBMC on Win 7) tries to access the movie share it gets in fine, but whenever it now tries to access this movie folder (which was copied from the "inaccessible" SNAP partition), it now has miraculously inherited the permissions from its original location. In other words, all new movies that are downloaded cannot be accessed by any other windows PC, even when it is in a location that is easily accessible (like the array shares which I have had no problem with).

Is there any way around this? I feel like this maybe an issue with setting permissions in SNAP so that I can give full read/write access to anyone.

Can anyone help me figure this out.

I don't know if anyone can help me. I am a unRAID newbie, so I'm having a headache trying to figure this issue out.

I used SNAP to mount/share one of my 1 TB drives as a non-array partition. The HDD was precleared and formatted w/ reiserfs using the unmenu format utility. It is mounted as a share called "temp" on the share.list file.

My issue is that whenever I try to access this drive, my Windows 7 x64 computer prompts me with a username and password unless I login (on my windows machine) as administrator or as guest. When I login as anything else, it doesn't matter what user/pass combination I enter, it doesn't let me access this share. When I login as admin, I can just type in "root" as username and leave my passwrd blank and I have access to that share.

Things started getting worse when I used it as my Sabnzbd, Couchpotato data directory. Now, when a movie is downloaded, couchpotato automatically takes that movie and copies it to a "movie" share on the array.

When my HTPC (running XBMC on Win 7) tries to access the movie share it gets in fine, but whenever it now tries to access this movie folder (which was copied from the "inaccessible" SNAP partition), it now has miraculously inherited the permissions from its original location. In other words, all new movies that are downloaded cannot be accessed by any other windows PC, even when it is in a location that is easily accessible (like the array shares which I have had no problem with).

Is there any way around this? I feel like this maybe an issue with setting permissions in SNAP so that I can give full read/write access to anyone.

Usually this ends up being a configuration issue in Windows.  Either a UAC problem with network connections (samba on linux) or the Windows offline caching being turned on. 

It's possible that the files and maybe directories on the SNAP'd out drive are created while connecting to the first Win7 machine will make them invisible and or maybe read only to other connections from other machines. 

The way to test is to try to telnet into unraid and copy to the "temp" share and maybe from it to other array drives.  If that works then the issue is most likely from the Window side.

Thanks. Was hoping that it would work with it being external to the array. Guess I'll dig up one of my other drives.

Thanks. Was hoping that it would work with it being external to the array. Guess I'll dig up one of my other drives.

It had nothing to do directly with unRAID, the underlying linux kernel did not support > 2.2TB drives on the 4.7 version of unRAID.

Support of > 2.2TB drives required the use of the newer linux kernels.

Yes, it's a file/folder user/group permissions issue currently. Unfortunately I can't help because I don't know what the GUI looks like in unRAID nor do I know how this "snap" thingy works BUT at it's core it's merely a permissions issue with SAMBA (SMB).  I have my Ubuntu samba server at home and the critical part is having all the usernames the same IF you don't want to have to dig into smb.conf etc etc. Hopefully someone will come along and tell you there is some settings somewhere within the unRAID GUI to set permissions and owners for your temp shared folder and or how to possibly edit this "snap" config such that when it mounts your smb share it's doing it in such a way that ALL your users will have access to the temp share. Good luck

PS there's a thread here that he got solved recently where he had permissions issues as well. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16886.msg155081#msg155081

Copying from a user share to a snap share is horribly slow, even when I run the copy on the server itself. Is there a way to make this faster?

It would help if  you tell us how you are doing the copy.  But I will say that the copy is happening in linux.  SNAP doesn't have copy commands. 

I added a drive and started S.N.A.P. and shared it as 'snapshare'. Then I logged in to the server via telnet, and issued "#cp -r /mnt/user/media/movie/Some.Public.Domain.Movie/ /mnt/disk/snapshare/"

Try using rsync.

Examples:

Source Dir Files: /mnt/user/media/movie/themovie/

Source Dir: /mnt/user/media/movie/themovie

Target Dir: /mnt/disk/snapshare/

Target Dir: /mnt/disk/snapshare

#copy all files in the source directory (themovie folder contents) to the snapshare folder. 

#You end up with themovie files in the snapshare folder.

rsync /mnt/user/media/movie/themovie/ /mnt/disk/snapshare/

#copy all recursively from the Source Dir and below it to the Target Dir. 

#The themovie folder and it's files are all copied to snapshare:  /mnt/disk/snapshare/themovie.

rsync -av /mnt/user/media/movie/themovie /mnt/disk/snapshare

I was thinking of using SNAP to add a 30gig SSD to my system.  I thought I would do 2 partitions.  1 would be used for a MySQL and Shared Thumbs for XBMC and the 2nd partition for a swapfile for unRAID.  What format would I want to use for the SSD to do this?

Snap can work with most filesystems.  reiserfs, NTFS and others.  When you make more than one partition on the disk, Snap will mount all the partitions that have filesystems.  The first will use the sharename you give it.  The others will have a number appended to the sharename.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to have a volunteer to help test a new version of SNAP for unRAID 5.

It's written as a plugin and I've been developing it on 5b.13.  I'd like to start testing on 5b.14.  I haven't got it all packaged up as a plugin install yet but I do have a script to copy everything to where it goes.  Everything will be zipped so unzipping the blob and running the script should work for an install at the moment.

Just message me if you want to help out.  Thanks.

What is the latest status for b.0-beta12a.

I am new to this and got it isntalled, but it does not appear to work.  that could be doe to my noob-ness to unraid and linux.

The drive and share exist in the share.list file, but it is not visible on the network.

Would it be possible to make the addition of a drive easier by assigning a number to the list fo drives and then instead of adding the serial number, use the number of the list instead?  This would save typing out 20 odd character long serial numbers for the USB drives, where it is very easy to get them wrong and then wonder why you are not seeing your drive.

A web interface would be even better if possible, wether using the default interface, simple features or Unmenu (have not use unmenu so if it is there I apologise)

Thanks

Mick

What is the latest status for b.0-beta12a.

I am new to this and got it isntalled, but it does not appear to work.  that could be doe to my noob-ness to unraid and linux.

The drive and share exist in the share.list file, but it is not visible on the network.

Would it be possible to make the addition of a drive easier by assigning a number to the list fo drives and then instead of adding the serial number, use the number of the list instead?  This would save typing out 20 odd character long serial numbers for the USB drives, where it is very easy to get them wrong and then wonder why you are not seeing your drive.

A web interface would be even better if possible, wether using the default interface, simple features or Unmenu (have not use unmenu so if it is there I apologise)

Thanks

Mick

The existing SNAP download is for unraid 4.7. 

The version I'm working on right now is for 5b.13 and later.  Although it might work on 5b.12.  And this version has a GUI for adding sharenames.

It's about ready but needs a little testing first. 

Hi,

I'm new to unraid, and started off with unraid 5b14 basic, mainly because of the plugins feature.  It's been nice and stable, and I liked the plugins for SAB, SB, PS3MS.

I was a bit concerned about running these off my flashdrive or the array, so I put in an old 120Gb drive in NTFS format, and on every reboot all the plugins reinstall and the settings disappear.  I thought it was the plugins, but I just realised on the last reboot that a folder I created in telnet for SAB to pickup NZB files also disappeared, so it appears that upon reboot the drive is being cleared some how.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

in telnet, I added the drive, mounted the drive and shared the drive and it appears as /mnt/disk/Apps okay and I've also set it to init at boot time with -b.

I precleared the drive, and have now formated it in reiserfs, which appeared to solve a problem with SABNZB not allowing me to run scripts, but it still clears on reboot. :(  Any suggestions?

Hi all

This is my first post, and first foray into Linux world

What I just finished building is  an 8tb system

Now I have to migrate my 4Tb of TV and movies to it, all of which are on externals

SNAP with it's hotplugging sounds like it would be  a great way to plug in an external and let it copy over

The problem is, I can't get those script things to work

I managed to install SNAP, name and mount an external but that's all I can get to happen

Any starting tips on scripting?

Has SNAP been tested on 5b14?  I'm not sure if it was the sb/sab plugins or snap that wasn't working, but I just couldn't get it to work for me.

I started again with unraid 4.7, installed snap, mounted a drive just like I did before /mnt/disk/apps and it mounted and shared perfectly.  I then installed sab/sb in unmenu, and it's all working great, no issues on set up (the script worked first time!), and even after a reboot it's all working great.  Perfect.  Phew!

Now the hard part.. getting PS3MS running without the plugin!  :-\