Norco 4224 Thread

Guest Jomp

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are working on 120mm fan wall bracket. The following picture show the sample. ETA is early October.

fw21sj.jpg

Norcotek has a camera that takes pictures in the future... they should sell that instead of PC cases. Shweeet.

You can pre order 120mm fan bracket at http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=258

We are working on 120mm fan wall bracket. The following picture show the sample. ETA is early October.

Boo to "Fans  not included"

$15 shipped for me, not bad... not preording though, because I might be moving soon, don't know where I'll be in October..

Thanks to Norco for making this necessary upgrade for cheap, good move! Happy customer here!

I'm glad it doesn't come with fans, I'd rather use my own choice (probably some Noctuas) than pay for included fans I'd never use..

Hi,

I am the distributor of Noco products for Europe. I will have the new 120mm Fanwall somewhere mid October. You cannot pre-order now.

I do not have all the Norco products on stock (yet), but on the website, at the details you will find the stock at the end of the page.

Please let me know if I can do something for you or if you have any questions.

Regards,

Richard Mulder.

http://cybershop.ri-vier.nl/

Norcotek has a camera that takes pictures in the future... they should sell that instead of PC cases. Shweeet.
Haha!  they have the day first, then month, then year on their camera settings. :D
Europe puts the month first, we put the day first. I think the US is actually in the minority, but not sure on that one.

You mean US puts the month first, right?!

Haha!  they have the day first, then month, then year on their camera settings. :D
Europe puts the month first, we put the day first. I think the US is actually in the minority, but not sure on that one.

You mean US puts the month first, right?!

That's the way we do it at my house.. (South Texas)  ;D lol

This is not a PWM fan. PWM fans use 4-wire.

Nooooooooo.  PWM can be used on 2, 3, and 4-wire fans to vary the speed.

Pin 1 in ground.

Pin 2 is voltage, and that pin is modulated on/off to do PWM fan control.

Pin 3 is sense -- i.e. the speed reading, and not used to control the fan.

Pin 4 is a signal for fans that do their own PWM internally, to vary the speed, w/o modulating the voltage on Pin 2.

But you CAN vary fan speed using PWM for 2-pin and 3-pin fans.

• 1 month later...

Just received my 4224 along with the 120mm fan plate but.... the middle fans aren't that loud. My box will be kept in the pantry so a little noise isn't a big deal.

But what about the 2 fans on the rear, they are the ones making all that noise. what have people here done about those 2 back ones? Left them unplugged/off and if so how does that go for cooling? Changed them? I don't really know of any 80mm fans that move that much air as I believe they are twin blades rotating in different directions to increase air flow.

Thanks Josh

I just installed the Norco 120mm fan plate in my RPC-4224 (it was shipped with the 80mm fan plate).  I have three Delta AFC1212DE 120mm fans spinning at 2500 rpm.  I replaced the two back fans with Nexus SP802512H-03PWM 80mm fans spinning at 2200 rpm to cut down on the noise.  I have 15 drives, but have not assigned parity yet and so I do not have temperature readings for a parity build.

I hope the two Nexus can exhaust enough air.  If not, I will have to look into getting Delta 80mm PWM fans.  I agree that two side 120mm fans would be just dandy.

I don't really know of any 80mm fans that move that much air as I believe they are twin blades rotating in different directions to increase air flow.

Twin blades, are you sure? With only a couple of disks you may turn them off, however you need them if you fully populated the 4224. 

I don't know about the 4224, but the 4220 stock plate fans have blade shaped fins oriented in the counter direction to the fan blades (stationary part of the fan housing.)  Makes it look like there or two sets of counter rotating blades.

I don't really know of any 80mm fans that move that much air as I believe they are twin blades rotating in different directions to increase air flow.

Twin blades, are you sure? With only a couple of disks you may turn them off, however you need them if you fully populated the 4224. 

I don't know about the 4224, but the 4220 stock plate fans have blade shaped fins oriented in the counter direction to the fan blades (stationary part of the fan housing.)  Makes it look like there or two sets of counter rotating blades.

Agree, they look like, but they are not twin bladed.

• 2 months later...

My case arrived this week with the 120mm fan bracket.

I have three Delta fans to install but want to reduce the possibility of vibration noise so have ordered some of these rubber mounting pins (can't find anyone that sells them in Australia):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270691039717

I have a Seasonic X750 PSU but it doesn't have enough molex connectors for the HDD backplanes. It comes with three modular cables, two have three molex connectors and the other has two. I have three options (the third one may be dodgy) for powering the rest of the backplanes:

1. Somehow source two more Seasonic modular cables with three molex connectors on them (might have to contact Seasonic as I can't find anyone that sells the cables separately to the PSUs)

2. The PSU also comes with two SATA power cables each with three connectors on them, so I could use six SATA to molex converters

3. Purchase six splitters and connect them to the two modular cables with three molex connectors on them. One physical connection to the PSU would power 12 drives, this seems like a really bad idea.

The Seasonic X750 uses a single 744W 12V rail so accidentally overloading a secondary rail won't be an issue. Are there any risks involved with powering 12 drives off one connection on the PSU?

I have a Seasonic X750 PSU but it doesn't have enough molex connectors for the HDD backplanes.

It sounds like you're trying to fill both molex connectors on each backplane - You only need to connect one per backplane.  The second connector is only used if you have a redundant power supply, to keep drives operating should one power supply fail.

I have three Delta fans to install but want to reduce the possibility of vibration noise so have ordered some of these rubber mounting pins (can't find anyone that sells them in Australia):

I wouldn't recommend using these for high CFM Delta fan as the fans are too powerful.

Also, connect power from your PSU only to one side of the backplane as the second is for redundancy only in case you have two PSU's connected to different power sources.

I have a Seasonic X750 PSU but it doesn't have enough molex connectors for the HDD backplanes.

It sounds like you're trying to fill both molex connectors on each backplane - You only need to connect one per backplane.  The second connector is only used if you have a redundant power supply, to keep drives operating should one power supply fail.

Actually, with the 4224 it is recommended that you power both ports.  I used basic molex splitters to achieve this.

I wouldn't recommend using these for high CFM Delta fan as the fans are too powerful.

Also, connect power from your PSU only to one side of the backplane as the second is for redundancy only in case you have two PSU's connected to different power sources.

I would disagree with you regarding the "not using the second power connector". Please refer to my very frustrating experience that has definitely taught me a thing or two about those additional connectors.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8629.msg87013#msg87013

Since using additional connections I have had zero problems with my 4220.

Lev

• Guest changed the title to Norco 4224 Thread