unRAID OS version 6.5.1 Stable Release Available

2 minutes ago, -Daedalus said:

Is there a reason notifications were disabled by default, if this behaviour results in a rather large warning dialogue which a user is going to want to disable... by enabling notifications?

Because the user has to set up the types of notification that he/she is going to be using.  The warning was (I believe)  implemented because many of the experts felt that many users were ignoring (through ignorance or laziness) this vital feature which will often alert the user to minor problems that are simple to correct before they escalate into a situation where data loss will occur.  

Just now, Dephcon said:

is this basically rc6 or were additional tweaks made?

/gripe on

I know of AT LEAST one change, the fix for the "array contains 1 invalid disk" message.

This is another example of how bending best practice rules results in confusion. I was unable to divine from the release post what ELSE may have changed, unlike the transition between RC's.

THE LAST RC SHOULD BE UNTOUCHED AND SIMPLY RENAMED "RELEASE"

Otherwise, people who are COUNTING on a stable release having been vetted by a relatively large group of people with varying systems are misled to install what is largely just the next UNTESTED release in the RC series.

/gripe off

:(

I'm not implying there is something wrong with 6.5.1, just that if there were, stable only release users would have NO way of knowing about it, short of installing it and trying it out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Just now, MvL said:

Updated from 6.5 --> 6.5.1 No issues to report except that my web terminal window is not working on Safari (Chrome okay). I had this problem also with 6.5 but it's probably already reported. I never investigated the matter.

This is a known Safari issue. You’ll probably also notice several displays in the dashboard tab that don’t work.

15 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

This is a known Safari issue. You’ll probably also notice several displays in the dashboard tab that don’t work.

Okay. I suspect this a bit. 

I put Chrome and Safari together on my screen and I see no differences on the Dashboard tab. Seems to be working fine.

17 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

You’ll probably also notice several displays in the dashboard tab that don’t work.

Actually everything should work now in Safari except webTerminal.

The issue has to do with Safari not recognizing authentication headers with websocket connections.  If you don't have an unRAID root password, then webTerminal will work in Safari (because there's no authentication).

We are moving to a websocket based implementation for real-time status update; however, there are only a handful of places in webGui where this  has been implemented to date.  One place is the CPU Load Statistics on the Dashboard.   The latest "fix" is that the webGui detects if you are using Safari and if so, switches to technique called "long polling" instead of websockets.  (The other technique is called EventSource but that too doesn't work correctly with Safari.)

Both long polling and EventSource are uni-directional, server to client only, and of course webTerminal must be bi-directional,  hence must be implemented using websockets.  For this reason webTerminal will never work with Sarfari unless Apple fixes the problem (don't hold your breath), or we switch to something other than Basic authentication, which we are working on currently.

2 minutes ago, limetech said:

That's not a Safari issue.  There is code that detects how wide the browser window is and gets rid of the button labels to avoid crowding.

True, I already notice... :$

Actually everything should work now in Safari except webTerminal.

The issue has to do with Safari not recognizing authentication headers with websocket connections.  If you don't have an unRAID root password, then webTerminal will work in Safari (because there's no authentication).

We are moving to a websocket based implementation for real-time status update; however, there are only a handful of places in webGui where this  has been implemented to date.  One place is the CPU Load Statistics on the Dashboard.   The latest "fix" is that the webGui detects if you are using Safari and if so, switches to technique called "long polling" instead of websockets.  (The other technique is called EventSource but that too doesn't work correctly with Safari.)

Both long polling and EventSource are uni-directional, server to client only, and of course webTerminal must be bi-directional,  hence must be implemented using websockets.  For this reason webTerminal will never work with Sarfari unless Apple fixes the problem (don't hold your breath), or we switch to something other than Basic authentication, which we are working on currently.

Thanks for the explanation! I hope for a fix in the future. Would be nice if it's working. In the meantime I can always open chrome when needed.

Edited by MvL

The same spinning wheel is nice in every theme.

Hint: The developer of Community Application should update his spinning wheel so it's same/consistent.

Maybe it's a idea to make guidelines so every plugin has the same look and feeling as unRAID. Just a idea. 

Edited by MvL
1 hour ago, MvL said:

True, I already notice... :$

Thanks for the explanation! I hope for a fix in the future. Would be nice if it's working. In the meantime I can always open chrome when needed.

Supporting the various web-browsers out there to provide a common experience is a real challenge nowadays.  I mean, it has always been something we've had to deal with to some extent, but as the webGui continues to evolve into something bigger and better, with more technologies being used to create a superior experience, we expect that we'll run into some browser-specific challenges along the way.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, MvL said:

Hint: The developer of Community Application should update his spinning wheel so it's same/consistent.

In all seriousness though, a "style guide" more or less is already in place due to the excellent tools that @bonienl gives us to work with.  On the latest upgrade to CA, I did play around with utilizing unRaid's built-in spinner, and came to the conclusion that how I wanted CA to look when its navigating pages, etc the built-in doesn't look good when blown up to the size that I wanted, and didn't look quite right on all the themes at that size.   At its default sizing though it's perfect.  Its all of course a matter of preference, but now that CA has dropped compatibility for 6.3 I have the ability to play around.

• Upvote 1

upgraded the z400 and g7 proliant w/out issue

BUT

safari still can not connect via VNC to a vm. Server has root password, vnc window does not, but on safari it requests a login/pw. Regardless if you leave it blank or input a valid one, it does nothing. this persisted during RC phase. not a big deal, I just switch to Firefox or chrome. I don't think I ever reported it since safari has had issues for a few releases....

@bonienl might I suggest on the next release, the shadowing for the selected tab be inverted. For example, when on the plugins tab, you have the background as the greyish color, but the selected tab is the darkened color. To me, at least, it makes more sense for the in focus tab to match the background, with the out of focus tab be the darker of the two. For example, below I have the "Installed Plugins" tab selected, which to me seems backwards to the "Install Plugin" tab.:

5a6377906bf1f_IncorrectShadowing.PNG.b228c475249f49244781b615df1a67ae.PNG

• Upvote 3

updated from 6.4.1 -> 6.5.1. system booted up, recognized all parity/data/cache slots correctly, started the array (without [forced]parity check like a few reported here).

Network with 2x 1 GBit bonded ethernet links works as expected (no modifications necessary)

Dockers (even with some of them manually configured IPs) work as expected

VMs (even with hardware passthrough of GFx) work as expected – and no more call traces in the log

congratulation to the new release (and so far without problems here*).

and a big thanks goes out to all who help constantly to make it better.

* this note is only for those of you with tv-cards from digital devices: the included driver version 1.2.2 in the LibreELEC build (thankfully provided by @CHBMB) does show some quirks here and forces me probably back to an v6.4.1 [again a special build and effort of @CHBMB] with older drivers, but no such problems).

Edited by s.Oliver
4 hours ago, s.Oliver said:

updated from 6.4.1 -> 6.5.1. system booted up, recognized all parity/data/cache slots correctly, started the array (without [forced]parity check like a few reported here).

Network with 2x 1 GBit bonded ethernet links works as expected (no modifications necessary)

Dockers (even with some of them manually configured IPs) work as expected

VMs (even with hardware passthrough of GFx) work as expected – and no more call traces in the log

congratulation to the new release (and so far without problems here*).

and a big thanks goes out to all who help constantly to make it better.

* this note is only for those of you with tv-cards from digital devices: the included driver version 1.2.2 in the LibreELEC build (thankfully provided by @CHBMB) does show some quirks here and forces me probably back to an v6.4.1 [again a special build and effort of @CHBMB] with older drivers, but no such problems).

So, are the Digital Device tuners working better on this newer kernel then?

1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

So, are the Digital Device tuners working better on this newer kernel then?

too early to say (just up for a few hours). i had initially the same errors as we talked before (back on 6.5.0RCx); and still while have these recordings running, i changed 2 parameters for the tuners (energy save to yes, and discard bytes at the beginning to 0 [before 1024]) and after they were finished and the next recordings started i haven't seen these (same) errors again. anyway, now i see these from time to time:

linuxdvb: Unable to provide BER value.

linuxdvb: Unhandled ERROR_BLOCK_COUNT scale: 0

linuxdvb: Unable to provide UNC value.

i need to observe for a longer time period and will report back to your thread.

thx.

Edited by s.Oliver
23 hours ago, jonp said:

Supporting the various web-browsers out there to provide a common experience is a real challenge nowadays.  I mean, it has always been something we've had to deal with to some extent, but as the webGui continues to evolve into something bigger and better, with more technologies being used to create a superior experience, we expect that we'll run into some browser-specific challenges along the way.

@jonp Yeah I understand. Out of interest what is the Webgui using? You guys don't use a framework like CodeIgniter. Is it HTML, JS, Node? I never checked the WebGui in developers mode. 

In all seriousness though, a "style guide" more or less is already in place due to the excellent tools that @bonienl gives us to work with.  On the latest upgrade to CA, I did play around with utilizing unRaid's built-in spinner, and came to the conclusion that how I wanted CA to look when its navigating pages, etc the built-in doesn't look good when blown up to the size that I wanted, and didn't look quite right on all the themes at that size.   At its default sizing though it's perfect.  Its all of course a matter of preference, but now that CA has dropped compatibility for 6.3 I have the ability to play around.

Don't get me wrong @Squid I appreciate the Community Application. Just some positive feedback. To be honest I'm a bit jealous of your program skills. 

unRAID 6.5.1 is still running fine! @limetech Thank you for the update.

Edit: Just notice the arrows on the Docker Tab, right side. Is that the order of start up?

Edited by MvL