Daylend

Unraid VM shares?

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I created a new Ubuntu Server 18.04 VM and noticed I had the option to set up an unRAID share and mount tag in the settings.

image.png.2657f346fac3cc1e95be76b2ca2ced4e.png

So I put in the following values. Booted into my VM, obviously the mounts weren't visible. So I did some googling and edited my fstab to what I could find:

UbuntuServer /home/daylend/UbuntuServer 9p trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,_netdev,noauto,nobootwait,rw 0 0

Rebooted the server. Nothing appeared. Read that you had to edit some xml files but I also read that's inside the .img file now so it's not changeable? I assume that's what the unRAID share and unRAID mount tag values are for in the web UI now. I also looked through the wiki for more information on unRAID share and unRAID mount tag settings but couldn't find much.

How do I get this working?

Thanks!

Did you make a directory inside your VM called /home/daylend/UbuntuServer and then reboot or mount -a to reload fstab?

I did the following:

512466644_9PSettings.png.72faeb08b80078882d237a8f711f7114.png

Then I created the Directory "/unraid" not that the exact path matters could have used "/mnt/unraid" for instance and used that below instead of /unraid.

Then I added the following to fstab and rebooted:

unraid        /unraid            9p         trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,_netdev,rw 0 0

And I got my user shares from my unRAID server listed when I "ls /unraid"

Hope this helps.

Edited by BobPhoenix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So I went through everything you said, making sure it was all set up correctly... Everything looked good. But it still wasn't working.

I noticed your fstab didn't have the lines "noauto,nobootwait", so I removed those, and rebooted.

Now it works like a charm!

Thanks for the help! ?

On 10/24/2018 at 11:18 AM, TristBella said:

Every time I use this feature, the network no longer works. I am using Unraid 6.4.1 with an Ubuntu 18 VM.

Having the same problem

On 10/24/2018 at 5:18 PM, TristBella said:

Every time I use this feature, the network no longer works. I am using Unraid 6.4.1 with an Ubuntu 18 VM.

It just changes your NIC to a new name. Mine changed from enp1s0 to enp3s0.

Just run "ifconfig -a" to see the new name and then modify /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml accordingly.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:18 PM, TristBella said:

This is slightly offtopic, but I had the problem related to the steps advocated here, and couldn't easily undo everything since you cant undefine mounted tags and /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml did not exists, plus I can't copy/paste via VNC.

If you don't want to reinstall everything, and don't want the useless tag dangling in there/potentially blocking your network, do the following:

1. Shutdown and rename your original machine
  2. Create a new machine with the name of the original machine (This will use the right Primary vDisk if you set it to auto)
  3. Check if your new Primary vDisk-Location is equal to the original one.
  4. Copy the Network MAC from the original machine to the new machine (I'm not sure if this is strictly required, but this way I didn't need to reconfigure DHCP)
  5. Run the new machine, delete the original machine (DO NOT DELETE THE DISK)

On 11/7/2018 at 1:20 AM, FoxxMD said:

Having the same problem

Actually, what happens is that setting that mount changes the bus number in the XML of the VM, making your network fail.

Change it back to what it was initially and your network will be back again. So, if you go to your VMs, click on the icon to Stop it, Edit it and upper right corner shows the XML view button. See here for an example:

Is the process still so complex in Oct 2019, for the linux untrained?

I want to share my /mnt/user to my NethServer .

Can I have a step by step "stupid-proof" guide?

sorry to drag this topic up again. I succesfully followed the steps outlined in this post for my ubuntu 16.04 VM and it works like a charm. Well when i say works, i can successfully mount the unraid shares and read them. However i cant seem to get any of my scripts to write to shares ? Any ideas ?

On 5/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, BobPhoenix said:

Did you make a directory inside your VM called /home/daylend/UbuntuServer and then reboot or mount -a to reload fstab?

I did the following:

512466644_9PSettings.png.72faeb08b80078882d237a8f711f7114.png

Then I created the Directory "/unraid" not that the exact path matters could have used "/mnt/unraid" for instance and used that below instead of /unraid.

Then I added the following to fstab and rebooted:

unraid        /unraid            9p         trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,_netdev,rw 0 0

And I got my user shares from my unRAID server listed when I "ls /unraid"

Hope this helps.

Hey man, thanks for this; it worked for a new Arch VM I'm setting up right now, worked perfectly for RW

To clarify, what's posted by BobPhoenix is to add the following in your fstab:

`tag    /mountpoint    9p  trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,_netdev,rw 0 0`

you may also make sure that you have the following:

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES=(virtio virtio_blk virtio_pci virtio_net)

Edited by AboveUnrefined