literally impossible to set up.....

Rezzo

So, can anyone help me out here? i have followed a total of about 7 tutorials, all of which had wrong/old info that stuffed me around for hours, i finally got windows installed, went to install my gpus driver only to discover that my gpu isnt registered its popping up as the on board graphics.....i finally got that fixed by changing the machine type to q35 2.11, but after installing the gpu drivers i am stuck at about 7 fps.............what do i do? i followed everything....

i have watched many different install tutorials and legit none work, also the linked video is irrelevant now as you no longer need to use a bios file to get the gpu working.....like i said this is legit impossible.

You may want to post your diagnostics file (Tools | Diagnostics) as people here can read your mind to figure out what you have installed, how its configured, and what you've already done and not done so as to claim it doesn't work.

current diagnostics, installed it the exact same way about 7 times and its exactly how everyone has said to do it....

tower-diagnostics-20180524-0624.zip

Should also mnetion, everyone says to use a bios file for the gpu but thats incorrect, with a bios rom setup the VM wont boot at all i jist get no video outpu (proven by the monitor staying in its device disconnect state) and the gpu is not registered in the VM's device manager when i get in to windows 7 and check, it just shows up as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, and installing drivers just makes my frames drop to about 7, and in task manager my gpu usage is at a constant 70-100%.......

Edit: So i just let the machine run by itself for 25 minutes while i cooked dinner, came back,and the drivers had installed themselves, literally by themselves, so yet again im onlaggy ass 7 fps till someone can either tell me how to fix this or it just magically fixes itself.......Also, the mouse is not laggy at all, it is entirely justthe windows, the whole PC is running at what feels like 7fps but the mouse moves buttery smooth.

but that wouldmean flashing my bios, right? yeah i dont have the money to just go ahead and buy a new mobo incase i somehow mess up or something goes wrong......how about just quickly telling me how to properly set this up as a gaming array, since every tutorial is wrong.....

currently using a gtx 1050ti, i7 7700k, 16gb ram, using the latest build of unraid. Should i change the  windows 10 install version to something other than pro? do i still need to pass through the gpu with an edited bios dump even though i've been told thats not needed for my card? what do i do?

EDIT: Should also mention that im using a single monitor set up.

Ill try to help

Set iGPU in the bios as gpu default. Setup the vm in VNC first then add the GPU and try to set it up. Also update your motherboards bios...microcode updates and i look of important stuff come from new bioses. I had a i7 7700k setup that worked with unRAID no problem. 

Updated bios/firmware is important for VM. It is a good suggestion and everyone is trying to help you set it up properly. I have been following SpaceInvaders first two videos step by step and have successfully passed CPU, GPU, and USB with great performance. They maybe a little outdated but still are good tutorials. It doesn't matter if the ROM is added or not. I have tried both ways with same successful results. I have been gaming on Ultra settings with a 1080TI with passthrough. 

I am not a pro on this but I was also experiencing bad lag that acted like video lag but I think I determined it was actually disk IO. 

The one thing not on that specific tutorial is to actually pass the disk by id. 

I suggest watching the below tutorial and using UnassignedDevices and source disk byID

<source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_500GB_S2R9NX0J210377J'/>

Not sure if the experienced/professionals agree but thought it worth noting. 

3 minutes ago, Rezzo said:

And if the bios update somehow goes wrong? Who replaces my motherboard or gets it reflashed professionally? Because i dont have the money to just throw away doing that.........

Not a lot of options left when you take the most common source of issues off the table.  It's a decision only you can make, but the people here aren't making things up to brick your board...they are presenting the options, you pick.

Once you make your decision, then you have to accept the consequences of that decision.  If you don't want to update the BIOS, then you will have to deal with each issue and likely not a lot of support as there is little to no point in tilting at windmills.

Please remember, this is a community supporting each other.  I know it can be frustrating, but these are very advanced use-cases and true passthrough is not for the faint of heart or those expecting "easy".  Try to keep people on your side and wanting to help you rather than treating them like they are trying to screw you over with their recommendations.

I am well aware of that fact, but when there are other less risky options i'd rather take those options first since i dont have the money if something goes wrong. Nobody has told me of any other options or if there even is any.

Rezzo, 

Flashing the bios is not risky if you follow the correct steps. Most new Mobos allow you to flash right in UEFI without a USB anymore. Quite easy. 

Also, I provided a possible "less risky" option for you. I experienced the same odd lag and using SSD pass through helped me. 

As long as you followed the tutorials, installed Windows VM with the correct virtio drivers, used the other helpful videos that are available it is most definitely possible. 

Good luck.

except i only have one ssd and its for my main rig, im not going to use it till i know this works.....okay updated the bios all went well, now setting up the VM via vnc as its the only option obviously, but using the vnc remote freezes after i click i dont have a windows key and i've seen people say to use ultravnc, i tried using that and again it freezes, either whrn i click idont have a key or while installing drivers before continuing with the windows install....what do i do now? Do i absolutely need a cache drive? some people say yes some say no....again, this is only a test and data transfer speeds are not needed.

yeah i figured but that should not cause the issues im having, like freezing during install via VNC. I finally managed to get into the widows install after numerous tries because it would freeze at the driver install part, windows was getting set up, clicked on skip when it asked for a network to be set up and it froze....fun times.....i shouldnt need to connect to a network as its wired, but after clicking skip it disconnects me saying the connection was closed, but, its wired, and i dont get an option to connect a network as i have no wifi card

Remember that if you are using a bridge for your network VM it is virtio. You will not be able to connect to a network (wired/wireless) until you get into Windows. You then have to install the windows drivers use the virtio drivers. Not the "hardware" drivers. This is presented very clearly in SpaceInvaders first video. 

i installed the network drivers before installing windows, where you select the drive......the issue is resolved, the freezing was a lie apparently, it was just the mouse in the vnc remote that froze and kept freezing, went to my pc thinking moving the mouse wouldnt work but it did so there was never any freezing it was just the mouse of the vnc remote stuffing up

so, i've done everything everyone here has said and im still getting the lag after installing gpu drivers....is the issue really just that i need an ssd set for my cache? Is there any way i can set that up without wiping it? Just canceling the parity check?

since i can set the vdisk size should i just use my ssd, dont wip it, and set its size to something tiny like 30gb just for the OS?

LOL NVM ITS STILL FREAKING LAGGING!!!! I HAVE DONE LITERALLY EVERYTHING INCLUDING 100% FOLLOWING SPACEINVADER ONE'S ENTIRE SET OF TUTORIALS!! Why me? i can almost guarantee nobody else has had this damn issue.....everything is up to date and everything works until i freaking install GPU drivers.....its not an eufi issue or else I would just black screen, im using i440fx machine type, with a bios version of SeaBIOS since i cant install windows when using the other one, it takes me to shell and mo commands work their, ialso havehyper V on.....anything there that could be fucking me this hard? the only thing i havent tried changing before is the SeaBIOS because like i said, no commands work so i cant install windows on it.....

14 hours ago, bonienl said:

There are numerous "irq 16: nobody cared" errors causing call traces and this might be a reason for slow operation.

@Rezzo As bonienl suggested, have you resolved these irq 16 errors? Did you check your syslog after the BIOS update?  If you are still getting "irq 16: nobody cared" errors and associated call traces, this could be the source of your problem. Is irq 16 being reported as disabled?

Run "cat /proc/interrupts" from a terminal session and see what processes you have on irq 16.

Early on in my unRAID days years ago, i saw these same errors and they absolutely killed disk access speeds.  All disks attached to the PCIe controller dropped to 2.6 MB/s read/write speeds because irq 16 was shared between sata_mv (the disk controller driver) and usb1 which kept getting interrupted.  This resulted in the disabling of irq 16 and the tanking of disk speeds on all disks attached to the PCIe controller.

Fortunately for me, I was able to identify what was causing the issue and rearrange things in my system so this irq was not shared.

Archived