Jump to content
linuxserver.io

[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

1163 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, suprjet44 said:

Do you guys know if this works with the PNY Quadro 4000 (VCQ4000-PB) 2GB?

It wasn't recognizing the card on rc-4 so i figured i would wait for rc-5.   I installed rc-5 last night but still doesn't work.

Before i go crazy troubleshooting i just want to see if it even should be working with this card?

9 years old is a big NO.

 

if your card is NOT on this list, i't won't work.

 

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Edited by Dazog

Share this post


Link to post
Thanks so much for all that the LinuxServer.Io team does... just got this working on 6.7.0-rc5 with my new 1660 ti and also tested with the Decode patch/script... all appear to be working as expected!
 
Sent a couple chits for donation...will add some more when I get more in my PayPal account!
 
-Sw2


Is the 1660 ti have a better encoder / decoder than a 1060? I mean quality-wise. More codecs?


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, suprjet44 said:

Do you guys know if this works with the PNY Quadro 4000 (VCQ4000-PB) 2GB?

It wasn't recognizing the card on rc-4 so i figured i would wait for rc-5.   I installed rc-5 last night but still doesn't work.

Before i go crazy troubleshooting i just want to see if it even should be working with this card?

The Quadro 4000 does not, to my knowledge have nvenc or nvdec pipelines. Also, it's fermi based architecture so support was phased out with ~391.74. The driver installed with this plugin is 418.43, which is long after fermi was deprecated. I don't think this plugin should work with your card, to answer your question.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/10/2019 at 12:14 AM, Dazog said:

Works :P. I had to specify my GPU.

I wonder if i can ask the person making this to add the nvidia_smi to his docker, so we don't have to do this every update :)

 

Still working on Telegraf then I am gonna post the dashboard for people.

I got it working in Telegraf. I couldn't figure out my issue as I was passing through the nvidia runtime like I did with Plex. My issue was that I was running the alpine version of telegraf. Changed my docker to telegraf:latest and the nvidia-smi plugin worked! Not sure if I will have any other issues running the non alpine version but it seems fine so far.

 

Have to play with my data a bit more but here is what I quickly threw together.grafana.jpg.afd643f95c0cbfee4a3af2f3acb83b28.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, dr_jared88 said:

I got it working in Telegraf. I couldn't figure out my issue as I was passing through the nvidia runtime like I did with Plex. My issue was that I was running the alpine version of telegraf. Changed my docker to telegraf:latest and the nvidia-smi plugin worked! Not sure if I will have any other issues running the non alpine version but it seems fine so far.

 

Have to play with my data a bit more but here is what I quickly threw together.grafana.jpg.afd643f95c0cbfee4a3af2f3acb83b28.jpg

Nice, I have a dashboard running too.

 

But a lot of metrics are missing.

 

I submitted a request to telegraf to expand the api calls, so we can get more info.

 

https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/issues/5564

 

It's not ALL the missing api calls but its a start.

Edited by Dazog

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, I have version 6.6.6 with the nvidia plugins. I would like to upgrade to 6.6.7 since it is now available in the drop down list. How to I upgrade correctly without messing everything up?

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, darthjonathan12 said:

Hi, I have version 6.6.6 with the nvidia plugins. I would like to upgrade to 6.6.7 since it is now available in the drop down list. How to I upgrade correctly without messing everything up?

Choose 6.6.7, click download, click OK when it's downloaded and then reboot your server. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/10/2019 at 1:06 AM, Xaero said:

Got this working in netdata!
image.thumb.png.2bf79e1e66e96f36ca185a8aacda6f7c.png
So, don't worry about grabbing a special version, the version from Community Apps is fine.


Steps to reproduce:

Grab the docker from Community Apps.
During the initial container install switch to advanced view, and add --runtime=nvidia to the end of the list.
Add a new variable "NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES" with the value set to "all"
Click done, and let the docker install.
Open a console for the docker.
echo "nvidia_smi: yes" >> /etc/netdata/python.d.conf
Restart the docker.
Enjoy.

 

 

Where in Netdata are you finding this graph? I've got it passed through and can see nvidia-smi from the NetData console but cannot find this chart. I've run the command in the container etc. so I think I should be set but cannot find data in the interface.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, BLKMGK said:

 

Where in Netdata are you finding this graph? I've got it passed through and can see nvidia-smi from the NetData console but cannot find this chart. I've run the command in the container etc. so I think I should be set but cannot find data in the interface.

There's a sidebar entry titled nvidia smi. Click on that. Note that the command is "nvidia-smi" but the configuration option is "nvidia_smi: yes" 

If you have entered everything correctly, and restarted the docker per the instructions it should show. 

 

Alternatively, you could add my script from a couple posts ago to userscripts and run it.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, BLKMGK said:

 

Where in Netdata are you finding this graph? I've got it passed through and can see nvidia-smi from the NetData console but cannot find this chart. I've run the command in the container etc. so I think I should be set but cannot find data in the interface.

Use the script posted here and it will show up in Netdata. https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77813-plugin-linuxserverio-unraid-nvidia/?do=findComment&comment=728822

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/10/2019 at 6:04 PM, CHBMB said:

v6.6.7 and v6.7.0rc5 uploaded.  If anyone pings me or @bass_rock and mentions the word Nvidia in the next week, we'll probably murder you and dispose of your body so well you'll never be discovered.

 

It's been a slog for both of us.  To say between us we've compiled this at least 50 times would be a conservative estimate, and the theories and conversations we've had have been numerous.

 

Bottom line, we're not really sure how we got it to work for so many successive versions before hitting this wall.

Hi guys,

 

So with the new release of 6.6.7 NVIDIA. Is applying the script still necessary? I am just asking due to still having issues after I upgraded to Unraid and NVIDIA 6.6.7 and a lot of my movies are not playing when it needs to be transcoded. It seems to be ranging from 4k HEVC (x265) movies to regular 1080p x264 movies. Even playing at original quality is not working on a mobile device I know could play HEVC just fine. It would just freeze the player. Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thank you ahead!

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Soldius said:

Hi guys,

 

So with the new release of 6.6.7 NVIDIA. Is applying the script still necessary? I am just asking due to still having issues after I upgraded to Unraid and NVIDIA 6.6.7 and a lot of my movies are not playing when it needs to be transcoded. It seems to be ranging from 4k HEVC (x265) movies to regular 1080p x264 movies. Even playing at original quality is not working on a mobile device I know could play HEVC just fine. It would just freeze the player. Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thank you ahead!

 

If direct play doesn't work, your problem is not the nvidia plugin. 

I don't know which script you mention, so can't answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Soldius said:

Oh I was talking about this script: https://gist.github.com/Xaero252/9f81593e4a5e6825c045686d685e2428

Thanks.

That script (which looks familiar 😉) is a patch for Plex and is required until Plex formally release hardware decoding.  Unless I've missed a big change, it has nothing to do with the Nvidia plugin (as in, the Nvidia version of Unraid has nothing to do with the apps you may be using).

 

So, until Plex is upgraded, and you want hardware DEcoding, and you've got a Plex pass, you'll still need to run the script.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

That script (which looks familiar 😉) is a patch for Plex and is required until Plex formally release hardware decoding.  Unless I've missed a big change, it has nothing to do with the Nvidia plugin (as in, the Nvidia version of Unraid has nothing to do with the apps you may be using).

 

So, until Plex is upgraded, and you want hardware DEcoding, and you've got a Plex pass, you'll still need to run the script.

Wow, OK. Was a little confused on that. Thank you for the thorough explanation. So Plex hardware ENcoding (from unraid server) should still be working on the Nvidia plugin for 6.6.7 and unRAID 6.6.7? 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Soldius said:

Wow, OK. Was a little confused on that. Thank you for the thorough explanation. So Plex hardware ENcoding (from unraid server) should still be working on the Nvidia plugin for 6.6.7 and unRAID 6.6.7? 

ENcoding should work with Unraid 6.6.7 Nvidia out the box, yes - if you've passed the card details through to Plex correctly (first / second post of this thread) and you've enabled hardware transcoding in Plex.  The script just forces Plex to DEcode as well, which it doesn't officially do yet, and what does/doesn't play or why is way beyond my knowledge.

 

(at least that's my understanding)

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/10/2019 at 6:06 AM, Xaero said:

Got this working in netdata!
image.thumb.png.2bf79e1e66e96f36ca185a8aacda6f7c.png
So, don't worry about grabbing a special version, the version from Community Apps is fine.


Steps to reproduce:

Grab the docker from Community Apps.
During the initial container install switch to advanced view, and add --runtime=nvidia to the end of the list.
Add a new variable "NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES" with the value set to "all"
Click done, and let the docker install.
Open a console for the docker.
echo "nvidia_smi: yes" >> /etc/netdata/python.d.conf
Restart the docker.
Enjoy.

 

Just a quick note on this (which always trips me up) - if you're not getting it to work, manually type the commands into the docker template rather than copy/paste.  That gets me every time!

 

And to clarify -  "switch to advanced view, and add --runtime=nvidia to the end of the list" means add it to the end of the "Extra Parameters" field.

 

Got mine working now, and just spent 10 minutes wondering why all graphs were flat.  Then realised that I was using Direct Play in Plex.  D'OH!

Share this post


Link to post

I was able to install the plugin and get unraid Nvidia installed, after I reboot my system it hangs after this message:

 

Freeing SMP alternatives memory: 32K

 

I’ve disabled everything I can think of. I’m down to one processing core, one stick of ram, all PCH devices are disabled, hyperthreading disabled. Nothing gets me past that point. My system works fine with the standard version of unRAID. What am I doing wrong?

 

Core system specs:

CPU: 9980XE

MB: Rampage VI Extreme Omega

Cache: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x16GB DDR4-3200MHz 14-14-14-34

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Had it working, had to re-install plex, no I can't get the GPU to transcode.

 

Lost my plex library, deleted docker, CA template and started fresh.  Re-followed the install instructions for plex, variables etc.  enabled hardware within plex menu etc... rebooted.  Still can't get it to work.  Testing on mobile phone, HEVC to x264 over Internet.  Even playing .avi files I'm not seeing it convert like it did previously.

 

Rebooted the server, checked nvidia plugin's there etc.... what else can I do to try and figure out why?  Unraid nvidia plugin is on the rc5.

 

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 4.10.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 4.13.03 PM.png

Edited by mkyb14

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

@mkyb14 Docker run command please for Plex

not super familiar with docker commands... what specifically am I doing... within the command line of unraid or console of plex, running "docker run image ID?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
not super familiar with docker commands... what specifically am I doing... within the command line of unraid or console of plex, running "docker run image ID?"
 
There's a link in my signature or a post in the Docker FAQ post in the docker forum

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.