[Plugin] Parity Check Tuning

387 posts in this topic Last Reply

It was intentional. It's set to -1. Only reason was because I was trying to trick it into running longer since it was cutting off while the drives were still temperature wise just fine. The negative value didn't seem to help much though. Think I'll reset it back to 2 which I think was the default.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Parity Check Tuning plugin   The Parity Check Tuning plugin is  primarily designed to allow you to split a parity check into increments and then specify when those increments should be run.

i have been working through all cases where this can happen in the code and I think I now have them all fixed in the version running on my test server.  There was a number of places in the code where

I am currently working on the code to allow array operations to be restarted (resumed) from where they were as long as: the array was shutdown cleanly there have been no changes to the

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, tnorman said:

It was intentional. It's set to -1. Only reason was because I was trying to trick it into running longer since it was cutting off while the drives were still temperature wise just fine. The negative value didn't seem to help much though. Think I'll reset it back to 2 which I think was the default.

OK.   Just thought I should check.    However since the underlying problem seems to be that for some reason the plugin has not picked up a sensible value for the warning threshold from UnRaid it was not going to help.   It is late here so it will probably be tomorrow morning before I work ou what I can ask you to supply that might help me work out why a sensible value is not being obtained.

you are not actually 0n the latest version of the plugin but I do not think that is why you are having problems .

17 hours ago, itimpi said:

you are not actually 0n the latest version of the plugin but I do not think that is why you are having problems .

I'll look into that. I have the plugin in to auto update the plugins running, It's saying I'm up to date. Hmmmm.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, tnorman said:

I'll look into that. I have the plugin in to auto update the plugins running, It's saying I'm up to date. Hmmmm.....

Did your problem go away with the latest version of the plug-in, or did your problem persist?

I'm now on version 2021.06.04 I just ran a test and it paused again when the disks were at about 30- 32 degrees Celsius. I stopped the parity check... well actually stopped the array by accident. Meant to stop the parity check. But restarted the array and the parity check was stopped.

I started a debug written to the flash drive. I then started a new parity check. It paused again at about 0.3%

"Following drives overheated: parity(31C) disk1(32C) disk2(31C) disk3(32C) disk4(32C) disk5(30C) disk6(33C) disk7(29C) disk8(32C)
Correcting Parity Check (0.3%% completed)"

Attached is the debug log

Edited by tnorman

The problem is that the values set at the Unraid level for the temperature warning threshold is not being picked up and is being treated as 0C.  I did make a post asking for some specific files to try and work out why but I cannot find that post - it seems to have gone AWOL :( 

Anyway files I would be interested in having copies of are:

Flash Drive:

config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.cfg

config/disk.cfg

config/smart-all.cfg

config/smart-one.cfg

The last 2 may not exist - if so just say so

It would also be useful to have some runtime files:

/var/local/emhttp/disks.ini

/var/local/emhttp/var.ini

You will probably need to go to a command line to get these files. 

Yep. That solved it. Setting a value other than the default in the settings->disk settings for disk warning to something other than 45. I'm running a parity check. It paused at 11% when a disk reached 44.

Figured I'd reply here in case someone else sees this thread.  Thank you.

Just to clarify there is a bug in the plugin in that you have never gone into Settings->Disk Settings and hit Apply from that screen then there is no value set for at the UnRaid level for the Disk Warning temperature value and this results in the plugin thinking it is 0C rather than the default of 45C.   A workaround is to ensure that you have set a value, but the next update to the plugin will handle this setting being missing and will then apply the default of 45C.

I suspect in practice most users HAVE set something via Settings->Disk Settings for some reason or other and as a result not encountered this bug.

Very possible. The funny thing is I went in to every disk and checked the value to see what it was set at and then set it. I didn't even think about going into the default value. 

7 minutes ago, tnorman said:

Very possible. The funny thing is I went in to every disk and checked the value to see what it was set at and then set it. I didn't even think about going into the default value. 

It should have worked if you actually set each disk explicitly rather than simply left it at its default value.

Having said that I have a feeling that there may be a bug in 6.9.2 around setting individual drives to drive specific values but I am not sure about that.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I know i looked at each drive's settings. Maybe I just putting apply/done before moving to the next drive didn't do anything. Or maybe I just forgot to do it.