[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

Sorry to bother without a large grasp on what might be happening, but I was trying to setup the Longvinter server yesterday and was struggling to get it working as it kept saying version mismatch in the server browser. In the docker overview it says "Update Notice: Simply restart the container if a newer version of the game is available." However restarting the container never seemed to fix it.

I then removed the container (I originally downloaded the template a few months ago) and deleted the appdata folder and reinstalled the container from your template, the game version then was updated and the server worked.

Now today the game updated again and once again I have a version mismatch. Restarting the container isn't updating the game files as far as I can tell, I'm probably going to try removing the container and deleting appdata again to see if it fixes it but as the game will probably receive a lot of frequent patches I thought I might ask if maybe the container isn't pinging for steamCMD updates on launch but only initial install? I tried the force update option on the container as well to no avail. Is there perhaps anything I can put in the GAME_PARAMS: to force check steamCMD for updates?

25 minutes ago, ANJ_ said:

Sorry to bother without a large grasp on what might be happening, but I was trying to setup the Longvinter server yesterday and was struggling to get it working as it kept saying version mismatch in the server browser. In the docker overview it says "Update Notice: Simply restart the container if a newer version of the game is available." However restarting the container never seemed to fix it.

I then removed the container (I originally downloaded the template a few months ago) and deleted the appdata folder and reinstalled the container from your template, the game version then was updated and the server worked.

Now today the game updated again and once again I have a version mismatch. Restarting the container isn't updating the game files as far as I can tell, I'm probably going to try removing the container and deleting appdata again to see if it fixes it but as the game will probably receive a lot of frequent patches I thought I might ask if maybe the container isn't pinging for steamCMD updates on launch but only initial install? I tried the force update option on the container as well to no avail. Is there perhaps anything I can put in the GAME_PARAMS: to force check steamCMD for updates?

Sorry but I really can't help here, this is happening for some users but I was not able to reproduce this yet over here and trust me I tried a lot.

Can you share a bit more details, did you add your credentials, if yes, please don't do that, only add them if they are marked with the red asterisk and not hidden away at Show more settings...

Please also make sure that your shares are configured properly and you use the appropriate path and that the data is not spread across disks.

If you having any ad blocknig on your network, try to disable it when restarting the container.

As said above, I haven't had a single issue yet with updating containers by simply restarting them, they all pick up the update just fine.

BTW, if you have any ad blocking on your network, I would recommend that you set the DNS server for Unraid itself to something like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 since a server needs full access to the Internet without any blocking infornt of it.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Sorry but I really can't help here, this is happening for some users but I was not able to reproduce this yet over here and trust me I tried a lot.

Can you share a bit more details, did you add your credentials, if yes, please don't do that, only add them if they are marked with the red asterisk and not hidden away at Show more settings...

Please also make sure that your shares are configured properly and you use the appropriate path and that the data is not spread across disks.

If you having any ad blocknig on your network, try to disable it when restarting the container.

As said above, I haven't had a single issue yet with updating containers by simply restarting them, they all pick up the update just fine.

BTW, if you have any ad blocking on your network, I would recommend that you set the DNS server for Unraid itself to something like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 since a server needs full access to the Internet without any blocking infornt of it.

Just to answer the questions you asked: I haven't inserted my credentials anywhere, shares and paths are configured properly, no ad blocking set up, and I believe I have my network DNS set to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 as backup.

Also, I've used your other containers (Rust, SonsOfTheForest, Satisfactory, DontStarveTogether, Valheim, PorjectZomboid) And they all haven't had any issues updating. So far just Longvinter doesn't update.

Edit: Also here is a small section of the logs when booting the server that seem to show a discrepancy:

---Starting...---
---Update SteamCMD---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
Logging directory: '/serverdata/Steam/logs'
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
UpdateUI: skip show logoSteam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation - version 1716584438
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...OK
Waiting for client config...OK
Waiting for user info...OK
---Update Server---
---Nothing to do, game up to date!---
---Prepare Server---
---Server ready---
---Start Server---

seems like it connects to steam ok but fails to notice any need to update.

Edit 2: Sure enough deleting the container and the appdata folder and reinstalling the container updated the game. Still not sure why it fails to update on restarts though.

The game is a super small indie title so if the problem actually lies on the devs end I made a note of it in their discord. Curious though if anyone has a better idea of what's going on here given the information?

Edited by ANJ_
On 6/1/2024 at 11:11 AM, ich777 said:

Not a comprehensive guide.

Basically this is what I would do:

1. Fork my repository
  2. Create a new branch in the for for Soulmask
  3. Modify the startup script so that it works for Soulmask
  4. Build the container
  5. Test if everything is working
  6. Push it to Github and DockerHub
  7. Publish a template it in the CA App

The comprehensive answer is much more complicated because you need a development environment, something where you can build/publish containers to, have a basic understanding how containers are working, knowledge in bash scripting and automating things, basic understanding how Docker works, basic understanding how the CA App works, understand that not every application is working with WINE (at least not fully),...

Hope that helps.

I really can't help with Soulmask because I firstly don't own it and don't know how it works.

You should look into game servers which are available and how I built/created them.

Actually this was just enough for me. This has given me enough to work on. Thank you!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ANJ_ said:

The game is a super small indie title so if the problem actually lies on the devs end I made a note of it in their discord.

I now looked a bit more into that and it seems that it's related to how I pull the updates for this specific game because I have to pull it from GitHub and not actually SteamCMD.

I will look into that.

However for the time being please only delete everything except for the save game directory.

hey ich777, 

wondering is there way to add a directory on the Ark SE and SA for the clusers support, 

can do the ID in the extra but cant get a directory outside of the docket to work, 

-ClusterDirOverride=C:/TestStorage/

is this something you can help with or any place i might look up on how to do it?

I'm having troubles trying to get mods to work in project zomboid. I'm trying to get the journal mod going, and i have the workshop id inside the server ini file, and when i boot the server up it shows it loading it, but it's not in the game when I load in

17 minutes ago, tito07 said:

For VRising, it seems someone managed to get Bepinex working per this thread:

I usually don't support mods and please also see this post since BepInEx only causes trouble for V-Rising:

@Wadzwigidy & @tito07 can bot of you please enable BepInEx, wait for it to download and the container to crash, after that stop the container, download the BepInEx release from here (you have to choose win_x64 from the Assets at the bottom), extract and replace the files in the container directory, try to start the container and see if BepInEx is working?

On my machine the container starts fine with this version but I'm not sure if it is actually working.

If it is working then it's an issue with the latest BepInEx release, if it's not working I remove BepInEx entirely from the container and so that users would have to install it manually.

32 minutes ago, ich777 said:

@Wadzwigidy & @tito07 can bot of you please enable BepInEx, wait for it to download and the container to crash, after that stop the container, download the BepInEx release from here (you have to choose win_x64 from the Assets at the bottom), extract and replace the files in the container directory, try to start the container and see if BepInEx is working?

On my machine the container starts fine with this version but I'm not sure if it is actually working.

If it is working then it's an issue with the latest BepInEx release, if it's not working I remove BepInEx entirely from the container and so that users would have to install it manually.

The server does stop crashing but it does not seem to load Bepinex. I have run this on a Windows VM successfully without any mods (just Bepinex installed) and the indicator is youll see this in the log when it actually loads in Bepinex:

image.thumb.png.606b7e88349321b6790abf1886013c80.png

From what I gather, it has to do with whatever version of wine is installed on this container. If curiosity is on your mind, I would say give that a shot as a test to see if that will allow Bepinex to load per the three bullet points on the thread:

use winehq stable

use WINEDLLOVERRIDES="winhttp=n,b" for wine

Set [Logging.Console] Enabled = false in BepInEx.cfg

From reviewing the logs of the initial download of Bepinex, it does seem to grab the correct version from the Thunderstore (which is newer than the one you are referencing on the link). For reference, I can get the server up and mods running successfully on Windows with that latest version... but I cant for the life of me get the game to show up on the server list (yes port forwarding, firewall rules, etc) or my friends to join (with or without Bepinex). However, I do not have this issue with this container standing in unraid. At the end of the day if I want to play the game I will have to use this container so I am thankful for you having this available with or without the ability of Bepinex. Thank you in any case for entertaining the idea.

On 6/4/2024 at 10:42 PM, ich777 said:

I now looked a bit more into that and it seems that it's related to how I pull the updates for this specific game because I have to pull it from GitHub and not actually SteamCMD.

I will look into that.

However for the time being please only delete everything except for the save game directory.

Awesome! No worries and glad it brought some insight. Thanks for everything you do!

2 minutes ago, tito07 said:

I have run this on a Windows VM

5 minutes ago, tito07 said:

For reference, I can get the server up and mods running successfully on Windows with that latest version...

...but Windows is not Linux. ;)

2 minutes ago, tito07 said:

use winehq stable

The container already uses WineHQ Stable -> I run WINE 8.0.2 but the latest version is 9.0.0 I will update that but you have to give me a few days.

3 minutes ago, tito07 said:

use WINEDLLOVERRIDES="winhttp=n,b" for wine

You can pass this over by creating a variable in the template with:

Key: WINEDLLOVERRIDES

Value: winehttp=n,b

3 minutes ago, tito07 said:

From reviewing the logs of the initial download of Bepinex, it does seem to grab the correct version from the Thunderstore (which is newer than the one you are referencing on the link).

Yes, because the container uses the Thunderstore API to determine the latest version and installs/updates it accordingly.

6 minutes ago, tito07 said:

At the end of the day if I want to play the game I will have to use this container so I am thankful for you having this available with or without the ability of Bepinex.

The main issue with BepInEx is that it causes always trouble, regardless of the game (Valheim, 7 Days to Die) because it must always be up to date and in the case for V-Rising it's even more complicated because it's using WINE.

I'll report back when I update everything.

@tito07 & @Wadzwigidy the container should now work again, please update the container itself and try to start it with BepInEx enabled.

Please note that the first container start after the update a bit longer (about 2 Minutes) at the message "---Start Server---" but the following restarts should work normal.

You don't have to set any environment variables or anything, the container does everything on it's own.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ich777 said:

@tito07 & @Wadzwigidy the container should now work again, please update the container itself and try to start it with BepInEx enabled.

Please note that the first container start after the update a bit longer (about 2 Minutes) at the message "---Start Server---" but the following restarts should work normal.

You don't have to set any environment variables or anything, the container does everything on it's own.

Dude you are amazing, thanks for your time and effort. Can confirm server started up just fine and mods loaded in. Also reviewed the Bepinex logs specifically and do see the proper load messages there.

• Like 1

Greetings,

I updated my V Rising server like an hour ago and now the Server restart endlessly.

Besides the update I didn't change any settings

The only thing I see that seem out of place in the log is this and it seems the log window close right after displaying this message.

invalid HTTP response code received. URL: https://api.epicgames.dev/auth/v1/oauth/token, HTTP code: 0, content length: 0, actual payload size: 06EOS

After seeing this I tried to change the "ListOnEOS" to false in the config file but it didn't help.

I also tried to enable BePinEX but no dice either.

Do you have any idea please?

37 minutes ago, Nemz said:

I updated my V Rising server like an hour ago and now the Server restart endlessly.

Can you please share a bit more of your log?

Please try to stop the container, remove the directory "save-data" (I would recommend putting it somewhere safe for now since it contains your savegame) and try to start the container afterwards.

Since the release of V-Rising 1.0 I see a lot of corrupt save games but I really don't know what's causing that, that was definitely not an issue before V-Rising 1.0 was released.

1 hour ago, tito07 said:

Dude you are amazing, thanks for your time and effort. Can confirm server started up just fine and mods loaded in. Also reviewed the Bepinex logs specifically and do see the proper load messages there.

Glad that I could help and everything is working now. :)

19 minutes ago, Nemz said:

This log is from launching the server after move the save-data folder out.

And does it now work?

Simply click on the container symbol on your Docker page and select log.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Glad that I could help and everything is working now. :)

Follow up question, I am sure it has to do with my formatting....

I am trying to enter a description for the server. However, it doesnt seem to read what is in the ServerHostSettings file. I also know this can be overwritten a parameter (which does allow a portion of it to show up). I tried doing variations of the following:

-description Testing my server

-description "Testing my server"

-description "Testing^ my^ server"

Edit: The descriptions seems to show up fine in game but not for the Server list.

which results in the following in order:

Testing

Testing

Testing^

So I am sure its breaking on the space. How can I input this parameter properly so that spaces are acknowledged?

Edited by tito07
On 6/5/2024 at 8:11 PM, Tonborghini said:

I'm having troubles trying to get mods to work in project zomboid. I'm trying to get the journal mod going, and i have the workshop id inside the server ini file, and when i boot the server up it shows it loading it, but it's not in the game when I load in

I'm having the same issue.  Did you, or anyone else, ever find a solution?

On 6/6/2024 at 2:11 AM, Tonborghini said:

Sorry, I completely missed that post...

25 minutes ago, maereax said:

I'm having the same issue. 

I usually can't support modding but please start reading here:

https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Dedicated_server#Installing_mods