[Support] kru-x - wordpress

On 7/16/2023 at 8:56 AM, bandicot said:

had a similar issue with my wordpress setup and I have followed the steps and it was still "not-writable"

turns out I had to go to the container's console window and reassign the "www-data" user back, because for some reason it has changed to root and 99.

afterwards I added your wp-config lines and Voila! everything is back to work as intended.

thanks!

your welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 2:19 PM, Dirtyrobot said:

Hello, I've recently installed this but I've noticed I'm not receiving any email sent by the app. Is there an extra configuration step that I need to do? Perhaps the issue is with php sendmail?

Hi Dirtyrobot,

No any extra configurations should not be needed, I assume you have setup a mail system in WP?

Kru-x

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Perfect and stable container! Thank you!
Now I am looking for a way to setup SMTP or to pass config for SMTP from the docker, could you please point me for the right direction. My idea is the build-in contact from in the theme to send to docker itself with, then the docker to the receiver? I see the post above and my be is for the same thing I already try:
"
WORDPRESS_SMTP_HOST - SMTP host

WORDPRESS_SMTP_PORT - SMTP port

WORDPRESS_SMTP_USERNAME - SMTP username

WORDPRESS_SMTP_PASSWORD - SMTP password

WORDPRESS_SMTP_FROM - address from which emails are sent in wordpress

WORDPRESS_SMTP_FROM_NAME - name in wordpress emails
"

With no success. 

JYI before my wordpress was on hosting and this feature worked, nothing is modified include email server config.

P.S: "sendmail" package is missing in the docker. May be there is the problem?

Edited by b0n3v
PS
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to set the container to 8686 instead of 8080 which works fine if you type in the 8686 manually after the local IP. When I use NPM I can only reach the "domain.url/wp-admin" but not the site direcly through "domain.url". Same goes for the the "Visit site" option after the installation. It takes me to "domain.url:8080" with no response. Is there no way to change the standard 8080 completely? I tried to change the advanced settings aswell to  8686 but didn't help.  I'm pretty new to these things, but it seems like I have done something wrong. Any help is appreciated. 

Edit: It works with the domain but not with subdomains for me apparantly. 

Edited by Traacker

Hi there,

I have installed this container and when I go to the web ui, i get no webpage what soever. I do notice that it connects on 8080 even though I have given a different port number. when i go to the port the number i still get webpage not available. I have tried host and custom docker network and the docker container just simply shuts down.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RichardU said:

This WordPress docker is fantastic - much better than the VM I ran on the same hardware. 

My only question is, how to I set up FTP so I can connect with Filezilla?

Cheers, Richard

Hi RichardU,

FTP in to your unraid server is possible but I would not recommend it.

Not sure about your requirement and systems, but I use windows and connect via a SSH client (Mobaxterm) and there is plenty of other clients for both win and mac (FileZilla is an SSH client as well, have tried it a few times, but find it bloated).

When I want to edit files directly I have setup an SHH client in VS Code and can edit the files directly.

You should have SSH enabled by default, if not, it is easy to enable it reading the manual.

That's all you have to do if you are working on your local network, if you need remote access just setup WireGuard and use a VPN to connect to your network and work the same as above.

A VPN is way more secure than FTP and both involves opening up ports to the world!

Hope it helps,

Kru-x 

• Like 1

Need some help. Setting up wordpress. I have cloudflare tunnel set up and have set up my public hostname and have it pointed to the IP:port of wordpress. Install Wordpress then go to my domain.com and get this below.

697704716_wordpressinstallpage.thumb.png.6478cd4d2533a478a7ff9fffab963626.png

The page is not loading correctly. The next page is also not loading correctly. I does let me continue but once im done and click install it shows the same incorrectly loaded page but says success! Then I click login the url in the browser changes to my internal IP address and then says this site cant provide a secure connection. When I go to my URL it does show the initial hello world welcome to wordpress page. But am unable to access the dashboard. 

3 hours ago, Kru-x said:

Hi Jurak,

Im not familiar with cloudflare but it seems to me that you have a redirect problem. Have you emtied the cache or tried in a incognito tab? What proxy are u using?

Kru-x

The current set up I have was working till my cache drive failed and found out my backups were corrupted so was not able to restore everything I already had set up. Resetting up everything and getting the issue I have now. 

This issue of the URL changing to my internal IP for the docker is happening on all browsers incognito or not. Also for the Proxy Cloudflare is handling all of that. 

https://developers.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-one/connections/connect-networks/get-started/

The above URL goes over Cloudflare tunnels. Once set up it will give you a secure connection from Cloudflare to your server. Through the tunnel and the docker container you install on your server, you can set up public host names with the domain I own and it will direct traffic to the program/docker i have set up for each sub.domain.com/ domain.com.

I have used this set up before but don't know what is wrong this time to give me the issues I'm getting now.

20 hours ago, Kru-x said:

Hi Jurak,

Im not familiar with cloudflare but it seems to me that you have a redirect problem. Have you emtied the cache or tried in a incognito tab? What proxy are u using?

Kru-x

Ok figured out my issue. I have been on a business trip the past few weeks and got home and decided to work on this. Well internet had gone down while I was gone and my wife delt with the ISP to get it fixed. I just found out that they had replaced the modem/gateway with a new one. The new one was set up as a gateway and not in bridged mode. Once I set the modem to bridged mode everything started working correctly.

20 minutes ago, Jurak said:

Ok figured out my issue. I have been on a business trip the past few weeks and got home and decided to work on this. Well internet had gone down while I was gone and my wife delt with the ISP to get it fixed. I just found out that they had replaced the modem/gateway with a new one. The new one was set up as a gateway and not in bridged mode. Once I set the modem to bridged mode everything started working correctly.

If you are using a Cloudflare tunnel, it shouldn't matter if the modem was in bridge mode. Cloudflare tunnels are initiated from within your internal network. But, if you are forwarding ports, then bridge mode does matter. 

31 minutes ago, Eddie Seelke said:

If you are using a Cloudflare tunnel, it shouldn't matter if the modem was in bridge mode. Cloudflare tunnels are initiated from within your internal network. But, if you are forwarding ports, then bridge mode does matter. 

The only change I made was putting the modem into bridged mode and everything for wordpress started working correctly. I do have ports forwarded for plex and my game servers, so needed to fix that anyway. 

I've also using Cloudflare tunnel.  It works but it is very slow. I have a bunch of other containers; performance has never been an issue.  

Not sure if it is cloudflare or the wordpress/mariadb containers? I'm new to wordpress so would appreciate any suggestions if there's something I might have missed or best way to troubleshoot. 

• 4 weeks later...

Solved: Fix for running Wordpress behind Nginx Proxy Manager. 

I could view my wordpress page at http://[ipaddress:port], but https://wp.example.com gave me: redirected too many times.

The soludion is to edit your appdata/wordpress/wp-config.php file (might need to change permissions first). Add this at the top: 

$_SERVER['HTTPS'] = 'on';

Cheers, Richard

Edited by RichardU
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am having an issue on my sites with this container that time to first byte is 2-3 seconds. It works great directly to other docker solutions I am hosting, only the three sites I host with this is displaying significant loading delay. Do any of you know what could cause this?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I'm probably just being thick but how do I upgrade the WP version in this container? Normally in every other docker container I am running, the version of whatever is in it is getting upgraded with the new version of the image. But here I found out that even if I have the repository set to latest, the WP version stays the same after the container is upgraded. I was trying to search the Internet but I am failing to find the answer. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

17 hours ago, Bartist said:

Hello everyone. I'm probably just being thick but how do I upgrade the WP version in this container? Normally in every other docker container I am running, the version of whatever is in it is getting upgraded with the new version of the image. But here I found out that even if I have the repository set to latest, the WP version stays the same after the container is upgraded. I was trying to search the Internet but I am failing to find the answer. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Hi Bartist,

You update it as usual through WP, the container wont overwrite the wp core files or your files in the folder u choosen. It's only adding new files if missing or adding all on new install, any subsequent update only the container files themselves if updated.

Kru-x

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi eveyone.  I'm trying to setup wordpress, however, I get an Attention Message that says that "Note: webUI dropdown will not work in the default bridge mode due to port not being defined."  After installing and running the webGUI the following message appears - 
"Error establishing a database connection".  They are obviously related.  Any thoughts on how to address?

Thank you!

Jeff

20 hours ago, KillmerNAS said:

Hi eveyone.  I'm trying to setup wordpress, however, I get an Attention Message that says that "Note: webUI dropdown will not work in the default bridge mode due to port not being defined."  After installing and running the webGUI the following message appears - 
"Error establishing a database connection".  They are obviously related.  Any thoughts on how to address?

Thank you!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

They would not be related, the first one “webUI” is unraids message saying that if you klick on the icon in unraid it might not connect if the port is wrong, you can set that yourself. And it seems like it works if you clicked on the icon for wordpress due to that the next message is WordPress saying that it can’t connect to the database, you possibly made a mistake in your setup when adding the ip/port to your db/wordPress containers.

Hope it helps,

kru-x