Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

I'm having an issue with Unraid not properly recognizing the available space on an 18TB external drive, freshly formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled HFS Plus). It is only showing 400GB free, when the drive is actually completely empty. I have posted my issue in a separate thread here, but it might be better suited posted in this thread?

2.png.6795b605fcff1717cd0dde56c007d37d.p

1.png.ee866212622cabb709026adc13ca4a30.p

Mounting the drive in either macOS Sonoma or Windows 10 shows only the main partition (18TB free space.) Only in Unraid does it show the drive partitioned out like in the above image, with only 400GB free space available. This seems to only happen when formatting to HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Journaled.) I formatted the drive to exFAT (in macOS) and Unraid now shows the correct size of 18TB free. Formatting it back to HFS+, the same issue arises. I've had major issues in the past with very large drives formatted to exFAT, so I prefer to keep the drive formatted to HFS+. Any clue why this is happening?

17 hours ago, dlandon said:

The first partition does not have a file system Linux understands:

Dec  3 19:38:31 Unraid unassigned.devices: Partition '/dev/sdl1' does not have a file system and cannot be mounted.

Interesting. I have a few smaller external drives (all WD Easystores), ranging from 12-14TB, and I never had an issue with utilizing them while directly connected to my Unraid server. They show the correct storage space and are all formatted the same way (HFS+ done through macOS' Disk Utility). Possibly the 18TB and larger drives aren't compatible formatted in this file system.

30 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Maybe you formatted those on older MacOS versions and the latest has changed/broken something?

It may be that. This 18TB I'm having issues with was formatted with the latest version of macOS (Sonoma) and my other drives were formatted on earlier versions (Ventura or earlier.) I'll reformat an empty 12TB I have laying around and will see if I run into the same issue with Unraid.

I need some help.

today I got these problems showing up:

Dec  8 14:16:54 Cereberus kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.122 Send error in SessSetup = -512

Dec  8 14:17:04 Cereberus kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\THE-DISKSTATION Send error in SessSetup = -512

This is related i think to the fact that all of a sudden my SMB shares from my Synology Nas dosent mount anymore.

It fails everytime.

What i did and have reverted and tried and rebooted was.

On synology i activated: ENABLE SMB 3 Multichanel(by doing this i was forced at the same time to activate:enable asynchrounus read) , I also activated that in Unraid. After this nothing works. 
So i deactivated SMB 3 multichannel on synology and Unraid.

still cant get it to mount.

on my computer i am able to connect to both the ip by  \\192.168.1.122  and browse my shares, or by \\The-something and do the same.

if i through unraid "add smb share" and make it search for servers, it takes quite some time, but finally the synology nas shows up, and i pick it, i then enter username and passord, and i can get it to load the shares and finalyze the guide for that, but when i mount i get this error. 

I even tried to create an new user for unraid on the synology.

Any suggestions? Its very frustrating, and I am sure its user error, but i cant figure it out  :(

I am also seeing the green dot: (remote server is online)

image.png.0239386966dc748ce4e65d47c1342a80.png

image.png.0b743824e3afb894b2c4f17efb05e7a6.png

cereberus-diagnostics-20231208-1516.zip

Edited by Blackrazid
1 hour ago, Blackrazid said:

Any suggestions? Its very frustrating, and I am sure its user error, but i cant figure it out

The error code -512 suggests a potential authentication or permission issue during the session setup process. You may want to check the credentials, network connectivity, and permissions for accessing these network locations.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

The error code -512 suggests a potential authentication or permission issue during the session setup process. You may want to check the credentials, network connectivity, and permissions for accessing these network locations.

Will double check, the weird part is that it worked this morning, and then i did the changes i describe and obviously fucked everything :)

So ye, its obviously a permission issue, i manged to get NFS up and running without problems, but SMB is somehow "broken" atm.

Edited by Blackrazid
39 minutes ago, sgtsquiggs said:

I have two iscsi targets on a remote machine. I can mount one of them but the other has always had the REBOOT button where MOUNT should be. How do I fix this?

image.png.68b7b4ef04a4c876acff95410bc97a20.png

The 'Reboot' label indicates UD thinks the device was removed before being unmounted and then re-installed.

Post diagnostics for further investigation while in this situation.

I have been using UD without issues before updating from 6.12.4 to 6.12.6 but have not been able to mount anything since. 

The log shows this happens ever few seconds... 

image.thumb.png.fd5a11c58c9e3d0ac42dda5853dada2a.png

here are my diags

ezra-diagnostics-20231210-1212.zip

I really don't know where to start and haven't been able to google anything particularly helpful on my own, so asking for help from those that know... TIA

-G

Edited by Garbonzo
spelling :)
11 minutes ago, Garbonzo said:

The log shows this happens ever few seconds... 

Start by going to the Settings->Unassigned Devices and set 'Debug Log Level' to 'none'.  That will stop the debug log messages.  Then reboot and try mounting UD devices.  Post diagnostics again.  The current log is very hard to read with all those debug messages,

22 hours ago, dlandon said:

The 'Reboot' label indicates UD thinks the device was removed before being unmounted and then re-installed.

Post diagnostics for further investigation while in this situation.

Attached - if more is needed I can enable debug logging and reboot to get a clean slate.

I am not sure why the wrong information is shown in the screenshot below:

image.thumb.png.6d66abccb6c8b3f8ca271cd135c0d21b.png

tower-diagnostics-20231210-0016.zip

5 minutes ago, sgtsquiggs said:

I am not sure why the wrong information is shown in the screenshot below:

What is the wrong information?  What I see is that both disk devices have the same mount point.   This is not allowed except for a btrfs pool.  Change the second mount point to be unique.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

What is the wrong information?  What I see is that both disk devices have the same mount point.   This is not allowed except for a btrfs pool.  Change the second mount point to be unique.

I never specified a mount point for either - I never saw the option. When I look at the details for the two targets I see a mount point specified but there's no option to change it:

image.thumb.png.f197c83049b06d0d088d7554e68010c4.png

image.thumb.png.33e863403cb19a3223fe11021a7e69eb.png

I feel like I missed a step somewhere. The iSCSI Initator plugin doesn't have any options aside from connection info for the target.

1 hour ago, sgtsquiggs said:

I never specified a mount point for either

UD creates a default mount point from the disk ID.  In this case the disks have very identical IDs, so UD ended up creating two identical mount points.  Once one of the disks is mounted, UD detects that the mount point is already mounted and assumes the disk was mounted and then removed and re-installed.  For best practice, it is best to change the mount point whenever a new disk is installed and specify a unique mount point.  Once you change the mount point, UD will use that and not try to create one from the disk ID.

I suspect you updated UD when you updated Unraid and due to some changes in UD, it detected the issue with the duplicate mount points.  This is a good thing because mounting two disks on the same mount point will cause disk corruption.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

Start by going to the Settings->Unassigned Devices and set 'Debug Log Level' to 'none'.  That will stop the debug log messages.  Then reboot and try mounting UD devices.  Post diagnostics again.  The current log is very hard to read with all those debug messages,

Ok, back home and here is the new diags. I really do appreciate you taking a look! 

ezra-diagnostics-20231210-1702.zip

36 minutes ago, Garbonzo said:

Ok, back home and here is the new diags. I really do appreciate you taking a look! 

ezra-diagnostics-20231210-1702.zip 207.22 kB · 0 downloads

UD doesn't think your remote server(s) are on-line:

Dec 10 16:56:53 Ezra unassigned.devices: Remote Server '192.168.111.99' is offline and remote share 'Z' cannot be mounted.
Dec 10 16:56:53 Ezra unassigned.devices: Common Script file '' is not a valid file!
Dec 10 16:56:54 Ezra unassigned.devices: Running device script: '192.168.111.99_Z.sh' with action 'ERROR_MOUNT'.
Dec 10 16:56:55 Ezra unassigned.devices: Remote Share '//192.168.111.99/media_backup' is not set to auto mount.
Dec 10 16:56:55 Ezra unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '//EZRAWIN/Z'...
Dec 10 16:57:08 Ezra unassigned.devices: Remote Server 'EZRAWIN' is offline and remote share 'Z' cannot be mounted.
Dec 10 16:57:08 Ezra unassigned.devices: Common Script file '' is not a valid file!
Dec 10 16:57:08 Ezra unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '//EZRAWIN/media_backup'...
Dec 10 16:57:21 Ezra unassigned.devices: Remote Server 'EZRAWIN' is offline and remote share 'media_backup' cannot be mounted.
Dec 10 16:57:21 Ezra unassigned.devices: Common Script file '' is not a valid file!
Dec 10 16:57:21 Ezra unassigned.devices: Remote Share '//TRUENAS/idiot' is not set to auto mount.
Dec 10 16:57:21 Ezra unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '//TRUENAS/jane'...
Dec 10 16:57:35 Ezra unassigned.devices: Remote Server 'TRUENAS' is offline and remote share 'jane' cannot be mounted.
Dec 10 16:57:35 Ezra unassigned.devices: Common Script file '' is not a valid file!

This message is because your common script file field has spaces.  Go to UD Settings and remove all spaces in the common scriot fieldI.  I've made a change to stop this log message.  This is not causing an issue with mounting devices:

Dec 10 16:57:08 Ezra unassigned.devices: Common Script file '' is not a valid file!

Try the following:

• Go to a command line and be sure your remote servers respond to a ping.
  • Try both the IP address and server name.
  • If the servers respond to pings, remove and re-add your remote shares.
36 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Try the following:

• Go to a command line and be sure your remote servers respond to a ping.
  • Try both the IP address and server name.
  • If the servers respond to pings, remove and re-add your remote shares.

Somehow the Windows Server VM that is connected to these terrible drives for the purpose of a second "backup" had it's network discovery turned off. 
I need to better understand the plugin anyway, especially the common script in general, its over my head atm tbh, and I really would love a way to delay the mount until the VM is online... that is something I have to do manually every time I restart the server, and would LOVE to automate! 
But sincere thanks for helping me focus in to find the problem I was having with the mount... it surprised me that the plugin searched and found the server, and share and let me set it up again, but I guess to be fair, when I pinged the EzraWin server it showed the IP address, just didn't return any pings, so I guess DNS resolved the ip, but I am shocked it took the username/password and showed me the mountable shares... 

but really, thanks!

8 minutes ago, Garbonzo said:

need to better understand the plugin anyway, especially the common script in general, its over my head atm tbh, and I really would love a way to delay the mount until the VM is online... that is something I have to do manually every time I restart the server, and would LOVE to automate! 

You don't need the common script in your situation.  As for a delay to mount remote shares, go to Settings->Unassigned Devices and set the 'Remote Share Mount Wait Time' to the time you want to wait to give the VM time to start.  It defaults to 5 seconds and that's probably not enough time for your situation.

• Thanks 1