Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

24 minutes ago, akguy said:

Thank you; you have gone above and beyond and I really appreciate the care and attentiveness you have put into maintaining this plugin.  I am pretty sure that my blood pressure will run lower once the "Format" button is gone.

Regardless of it being a corner case, I don't like to see any situation where data can be accidentally lost.

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my server with more storage space, and decided that in order to maximize storage space, I would add the old 6TB parity drive as a storage drive alongside the new drives. Apart from a DOA drive, this went well and after 25 hours of parity rebuild followed by 27 hours of disk clear/parity sync, everything works.

However, the old parity drive, which obviously was known to the system, is now stuck in Historical Devices. The Remove button/cross doesn't work and is white rather than red. When I point to it, the cursor doesn't change, indicating there is no link to whichever function will trigger when clicked.

Is this something a reboot will fix? Or stop the array, remove drive from HistDev, then restart the array?

If so, I'll just leave it until my replacement 18TB arrives, as I will have to stop the array to add the new disk at that point anyway.

5 minutes ago, reverend remiel said:

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my server with more storage space, and decided that in order to maximize storage space, I would add the old 6TB parity drive as a storage drive alongside the new drives. Apart from a DOA drive, this went well and after 25 hours of parity rebuild followed by 27 hours of disk clear/parity sync, everything works.

However, the old parity drive, which obviously was known to the system, is now stuck in Historical Devices. The Remove button/cross doesn't work and is white rather than red. When I point to it, the cursor doesn't change, indicating there is no link to whichever function will trigger when clicked.

Is this something a reboot will fix? Or stop the array, remove drive from HistDev, then restart the array?

If so, I'll just leave it until my replacement 18TB arrives, as I will have to stop the array to add the new disk at that point anyway.

Can you post a screen shot?

Hi there,

love this plugin and have used it since the beginning and am finally trying to streamline my workflow.

Basically, i have two drives that attach to unraid through it, one via usb and the other is an sub share.

I’m trying to write the script that will automount the drives, run my backups and then unmount

Both are set to automount but only the USB drive works.

this is the script 

# MOUNT DISK BY ID (PLUG IN YOUR DISK_ID BELOW)

DISK_ID=MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA_NAS_Movies    

THIS_DISK=`ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/ | grep '$DISK_ID' | head -1 | tail -c4`

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount "/dev/$THIS_DISK"

This works for the usb disk id but not the sub share (above) which I understand because smb is a different connection to unraid.

So what is the syntax to automount it?

Also to note, when i plugin the USB it does automount as per the UD settings but the same doesn’t work for the smb

TIA

13 minutes ago, heppy said:

This works for the usb disk id but not the sub share (above) which I understand because smb is a different connection to unraid.

This is not a good way to mount UD devices.

To mount/unmount a disk:

• Give the disk a name - e.g. 'Backup'.  The disk name is set in the device settings for the device (three gears icon).
  • Then use this command to mount the disk: /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount name=Backup.
  • Then use this command to unmount the disk: /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned umount name=Backup.

To mount/unmount a SMB share:

• Use this command to mount the SMB share: /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount source.
  •  Use this command to unmount the SMB share: '/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned umount source.
  • If your SMB source has any blanks be sure to quote the source.

Source is the 'Source' from the UD webpage.

There is information on how the rc.unassigned script works by clicking on the 'Help' icon in the upper right hand part of the UD page.

SMB devices only auto mount when the server is started.  Either from a reboot or array start.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, reverend remiel said:

The drive is currently a member of the array, is active and works fine. The other three 18TB drives I installed also showed up under HistDev, and I was able to remove those by clicking the X.

UD thinks the drive is detached.  If the drive is active in the array, I'm not sure how you got in that situation.  After a reboot, you should be able to remove the drive from History.

Just now, dlandon said:

UD thinks the drive is detached.  If the drive is active in the array, I'm not sure how you got in that situation.  After a reboot, you should be able to remove the drive from History.

Yeah, no, me neither :)

Here's basically what I did:

1. Stop array & shut down server

2. Add drive cage with 3x18TB drives

3. Start server

4. Unassign 6TB parity drive

5. Assign 18TB as new parity drive

6. Start array in maintenance mode & rebuild parity for 25 hours

7. Stop array

8. Assign new 2x18TB drives + old 6TB parity drive to array

9. Start array in normal mode, let disk sync run for 27 hours

I haven't stopped the array since the disk sync.

17 minutes ago, reverend remiel said:

Yeah, no, me neither :)

Here's basically what I did:

1. Stop array & shut down server

2. Add drive cage with 3x18TB drives

3. Start server

4. Unassign 6TB parity drive

5. Assign 18TB as new parity drive

6. Start array in maintenance mode & rebuild parity for 25 hours

7. Stop array

8. Assign new 2x18TB drives + old 6TB parity drive to array

9. Start array in normal mode, let disk sync run for 27 hours

I haven't stopped the array since the disk sync.

Ok.  A reboot should clear it up.

20 hours ago, dlandon said:

To mount/unmount a SMB share:

• Use this command to mount the SMB share: /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount source.
  •  Use this command to unmount the SMB share: '/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned umount source.
  • If your SMB source has any blanks be sure to quote the source.

thank you!

57 minutes ago, DerekChen65535 said:

Is there any way I can create a zfs pool from 3 unassigned devices through UD GUI? I have a 10TB array and I want to make a cold backup to 3x4TB USB external HDD then store them in somewhere safe.

No.  UD does not support ZFS pools.

8 hours ago, armed-stork1532 said:

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I don't understand where I am supposed to paste the Photo Script example (https://gist.github.com/ljm42/02b54ce9cc36f992515b ) provided in the first post. Where should I go in the UI to do this such that any SD camera card I insert gets backed up? And how can I view the debug output of the script in case something goes wrong?

That would be the device script.  Install the device you will use for transferring your photos, click the device settings icon (three gears icon) for that device, and put the script in the device script content.  You will need to change the script for your particular use case.

15 hours ago, dlandon said:

That would be the device script.  Install the device you will use for transferring your photos, click the device settings icon (three gears icon) for that device, and put the script in the device script content.  You will need to change the script for your particular use case.

Thanks. I believe I did that part correctly and updated my paths, but when I plug in my SD card this doesn't seem to run, and when I go to Tools->syslog, nothing shows up (I enabled debug mode in the photo script). Any ideas or obvious mistakes?

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 11.17.14 PM.png

3 minutes ago, armed-stork1532 said:

Thanks. I believe I did that part correctly and updated my paths, but when I plug in my SD card this doesn't seem to run

Turn on the auto mount switch.  You have sharig turned on, but you haven't set up the sharing modes in UD Settings.

20 hours ago, dlandon said:

Turn on the auto mount switch.  You have sharig turned on, but you haven't set up the sharing modes in UD Settings.

Thanks, I did that, but still nothing.  When I click on the log file icon on the dashboard for my drive EOS_DIGITAL, it's empty so not sure if it's even running the device script. Config screenshot attached.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.05.31 PM.png

7 minutes ago, armed-stork1532 said:

Thanks, I did that, but still nothing.  When I click on the log file icon on the dashboard for my drive EOS_DIGITAL, it's empty so not sure if it's even running the device script. Config screenshot attached.

There are several ways to execute the script.  Plug in a disk and if the auto mount switch is set, the device will mount on it's own.  The other way is to click the lightning bolt icon when the disk is mountd and your script wil be run.

The UD log is only what is logged by your script.  Look at the syslog and UD will log actions when you install your disk.