Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

I'm having the same problem as some others here, my remote SMB shares are suddenly showing as 'remote server is offline' after last update of UD - however I can confirm these shares are actually up and running correctly, can access them no problem from other devices. Also, they show temporarily as 'online' after initial boot, then fall into this status. Happy to provide whatever files can help debug this

Screenshot 2023-08-30 102101.png

1 minute ago, Rusty6285 said:

That is my TrueNAS server, connected via SMB shares. Has been working fine until last update.

I've been making changes to the server name resolution.  PM me the following:

• arp -a PROMETHEUS_MELLANOX.HOME.ARPA
  • arp -a PROMETHEUS_MELLANOX.HOME.ARPA.LOCAL
  • Copy of '/var/state/unassigned.devices/ping.json
  • Copy of '/etc/hosts'

Hi, In the last few days my 2 USB disks have stopped mounting, When i try and mount them i get the Error

unassigned.devices: Mount of 'External Backup Disk 1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/External Backup Disk 1: unknown filesystem type 'luks'. dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call. '

I tried resetting their Passwords in the Unassigned Devices Setings panel but it did not change anything.d20-diagnostics-20230830-1230.zip

Any Help would be much appreciated.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

I've been making changes to the server name resolution.  PM me the following:

• arp -a PROMETHEUS_MELLANOX.HOME.ARPA
  • arp -a PROMETHEUS_MELLANOX.HOME.ARPA.LOCAL
  • Copy of '/var/state/unassigned.devices/ping.json
  • Copy of '/etc/hosts'

I'll release a fix for this later today.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Henchman21 said:

Hi, In the last few days my 2 USB disks have stopped mounting, When i try and mount them i get the Error

unassigned.devices: Mount of 'External Backup Disk 1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/External Backup Disk 1: unknown filesystem type 'luks'. dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call. '

I tried resetting their Passwords in the Unassigned Devices Setings panel but it did not change anything.d20-diagnostics-20230830-1230.zip

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Click on the check mark by the disk and see if it can be repaired.  After the encrypted disks are opened, UD doesn't recognize a file system.  The file system check should shed some light on what is wrong.

Thanks, I tried running it for both Drives. 

The status popup i got read
FS: crypto_LUKS

Opening crypto_LUKS device '/dev/sda1'...
Executing file system check: 2>&1
Closing crypto_LUKS device '/dev/sda1'...

I also Checked the Syslog and got 
Aug 30 16:10:40 D20 unassigned.devices: Using disk password to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Aug 30 16:10:42 D20 kernel: BTRFS: device fsid 8260d801-ef92-4d29-a628-1835e2116116 devid 1 transid 1944 /dev/dm-5 scanned by udevd (12859)
Aug 30 16:10:46 D20 unassigned.devices: Using disk password to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Aug 30 16:10:50 D20 kernel: BTRFS: device fsid fae018cc-5bac-4ce1-89b5-5be65725162f devid 1 transid 492 /dev/dm-5 scanned by udevd (12856)

@dlandon I was asked to post my topic here so maybe it will help others and future development.

Sadly I have no logs as I had to hard reboot a few times to problem solve this. Everything is now working 100% once I removed spaces from the zpool name and made sure the zPool & Top level dataset names were different.

All explained here to the best of my understanding......which is not a lot....lol

Edited by wacko37
6 hours ago, wacko37 said:

@dlandon I was asked to post my topic here so maybe it will help others and future development.

Sadly I have no logs as I had to hard reboot a few times to problem solve this. Everything is now working 100% once I removed spaces from the zpool name and made sure the zPool & Top level dataset names were different.

All explained here to the best of my understanding......which is not a lot....lol

Post diagnostics.

12 hours ago, wacko37 said:

The issue is not with spaces in the dataset, it's spaces in the pool name.  UD was not dealing with spaces in the pool name and was insisting on spaces being converted to underscore when a zfs disk was being created.  This is all fixed in the next release of UD.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Arndroid said:

I am trying to save/enable "Destructive Mode" under the Unassigned Devices common settings, but everytime I hit Apply, it resets to Disabled.

Is this a known issue or just me perhaps? Using Firefox with Unraid 6.12.3

Uninstall and reinstall UD+.  The only thing that would do that is if 'parted' can't be found.  Parted is the partitioning command to work with partitions and is installed by UD+.  Destructive mode won't work without 'parted'.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

The issue is not with spaces in the dataset, it's spaces in the pool name.  UD was not dealing with spaces in the pool name and was insisting on spaces being converted to underscore when a zfs disk was being created.  This is all fixed in the next release of UD.

Thankyou for this.

49 minutes ago, tejasgadhia said:

Open to any suggestions someone may have. Thank you in advance!

That disk has a file system without a partition.  That's why it's marked as 'Pool' and UD doesn't enable the 'Format' button.  Some disks passed through to a VM would be marked that way because of the formatting on the disk.

You will need to put that disk in another system that will have utilities to clear the disk.  You could then put it back in the Unraid server and format the disk.

17 hours ago, dlandon said:

Uninstall and reinstall UD+.  The only thing that would do that is if 'parted' can't be found.  Parted is the partitioning command to work with partitions and is installed by UD+.  Destructive mode won't work without 'parted'.

Right on, that worked wonders!

Now, I do however still not see an option anywhere to format/mount the unassigned HDD. Where should I be looking specifically? Or should I format the drive externally first anyways? Thanks again! (Not sure what the Destroy mode is about then, my bad in that case, the disk is precleared but I do not wish to add it to the array pool, just mounting it)

Edited by Arndroid