[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

3 minutes ago, capino said:

During the reinstall, driver version v535.104.05 has been downloaded.

This is the default behavior.

3 minutes ago, capino said:

Reinstalling the plugin seems to resolve the problem. (without reboot in between)

Good to hear, please let me know if you have any further issues.

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

@ezhik & @giafidis thanks for the report.

I've now update the plugin_update_helper which is part of most third party driver plugins.

The upgrade process should now work as intended when you have set the Production Branch or New Feature Branch in the plugin and should not switch back to the Latest branch (which is currently also the Production Branch version).

The background to why it fails is that version 535.98 doesn't follow the usual versioning scheme from Nvidia and is missing .xx and comm can't compare if the versions numbers are not the same scheme.

Made a update to the plugin a few months ago but completely forgot to also update the plugin_update_helper, sorry...

BTW Please always report such issues in the appropriate support thread from the plugin, because the Nvidia Driver is strictly speaking not part of Unraid since it's a third party plugin.

@limetech included graciously a check for the plugin_update_helper to make sure that users are on the latest version, even if it's not part of Unraid.

Anyways, here are the tests with the updated version:

Downgrade to 6.12.13 and set the version to Production Branch (please ignore that no card is found because I currently have no card in my Test server) :

1.thumb.png.a2915568ea53588a50bc428c83acca5c.png

Pull the upgrade over the built in updater:
2.thumb.png.037cca7a24a40c5549dea903a8545836.png

Wait for the notifications to say it is safe to reboot:

3.thumb.png.8d684aa117ea2ee7f48ab5ff599e0a6f.png

After the reboot check if it still at Production Branch:

4.thumb.png.196103dcfc219085b0b5ba33f135ecc8.png

--

Much appreciate, and I apologize for reporting a plugin issue within the release thread. You are correct, should have been done here.

As always, THANK YOU!

Hi, i can't use my nvidia cards anymore after update to 6.12.4. I updated the plugin before the upgrade. But it's gone in the installed plugin. Downgraded to 6.12.3 and tried to install the plugin again but still getting errors.

Install Plugin

plugin: installing: nvidia-driver.plg Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks plugin: downloading: nvidia-driver.plg ... done plugin: downloading: nvidia-driver-2023.08.31.txz ... done +============================================================================== | Skipping package nvidia-driver-2023.08.31 (already installed) +============================================================================== -----ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR------ ---Can't get latest Nvidia driver version and found no installed local driver--- plugin: run failed: '/bin/bash' returned 1 Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

What can i do to fix this?

4 minutes ago, MattBlacK85 said:

How to uninstall the plugin as i can't find it in the plugin view anymore?

Then it's not installed, make sure that you have no Plugins Error tab on the Plugin page.

Then simply upgrade to 6.12.4 and then pull a fresh copy from the CA App, but only after the reboot, I would recommend that you reboot after installing the Nvidia Driver plugin again.

23 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Then it's not installed, make sure that you have no Plugins Error tab on the Plugin page.

Then simply upgrade to 6.12.4 and then pull a fresh copy from the CA App, but only after the reboot, I would recommend that you reboot after installing the Nvidia Driver plugin again.

Yes, it's working again. Thank you

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, bumblebeeman said:

here it is

Please remove the Intel GVT-g plugin because it causes Kernel traces in your syslog from what I can see and you even don't have a VM installed so it makes not much sense to have it installed.

You have a Xid error in your syslog:

Sep  5 10:22:03 Ironman kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 62, pid='<unknown>', name=<unknown>, 0000(0000) 00000000 00000000

The error code 62 means:

Internal micro-controller halt which is a Hardware Error which the driver reports and indicates a Thermal Issue of some sort

(you can get more information on Xid error codes here)

Anyways, I would recommend that you uninstall the Intel GVT-g plugin, then do a reboot and pull the Diagnostics again and post them here if you got that issue again (please don't reinstall the Nvidia Driver plugin again because it won't help in any case if you GPU is not detected and you make it a bit more dificult for me to troubleshoot).

After you've reinstalled the driver you got these errors in your syslog which can be basically everything but it is most certainly caused because the micro controller is halt:

Sep  5 10:22:07 Ironman kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0xffff:1426)
Sep  5 10:22:07 Ironman kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0
Sep  5 10:22:07 Ironman kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0xffff:1426)
Sep  5 10:22:07 Ironman kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0

You could also try to boot with Legacy Boot (CSM) since it will most of the times solve such issues too, but as said above, please uninstall the Intel GVT-g plugin, reboot and post your Diagnostics again if you experience further issues.

15 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please remove the Intel GVT-g plugin because it causes Kernel traces in your syslog from what I can see and you even don't have a VM installed so it makes not much sense to have it installed.

Sep  5 10:22:03 Ironman kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 62, pid='<unknown>', name=<unknown>, 0000(0000) 00000000 00000000

The error code 62 means:

Internal micro-controller halt which is a Hardware Error which the driver reports and indicates a Thermal Issue of some sort

Anyways, I would recommend that you uninstall the Intel GVT-g plugin, then do a reboot and pull the Diagnostics again and post them here if you got that issue again (please don't reinstall the Nvidia Driver plugin again because it won't help in any case if you GPU is not detected and you make it a bit more dificult for me to troubleshoot).

After you've reinstalled the driver you got these errors in your syslog which can be basically everything but it is most certainly caused because the micro controller is halt:

You could also try to boot with Legacy Boot (CSM) since it will most of the times solve such issues too, but as said above, please uninstall the Intel GVT-g plugin, reboot and post your Diagnostics again if you experience further issues.

19 minutes ago, ich777 said:

The error code 62 means:

Still same Problem

ironman-diagnostics-20230905-1137.zip

Hi guys,

So ive got a 1050ti installed in my server which is working great. However, nvidia-smi wont detect power draw. From what i can find out, this is due to nvidia not putting the support in for older cards in the linux firmware. The card itself does support this feature. 

I found a github that may fix this issue but wanted someone with a better understanding to see if this may be used on unraid. 

https://github.com/CFSworks/nvml_fix

6 minutes ago, ricostuart said:

However, nvidia-smi wont detect power draw. From what i can find out, this is due to nvidia not putting the support in for older cards in the linux firmware. The card itself does support this feature.

This is well known and Nvidia breaks more an more cards with newer drivers and was discussed often times here.

6 minutes ago, ricostuart said:

I found a github that may fix this issue but wanted someone with a better understanding to see if this may be used on unraid.

Sorry but I won't include that because I compile the driver packages as they are provided by Nvidia because I try to deliver the drivers as they are without any modifications.

I don't know if you have seen it in the repository but only the legacy v470.xx drivers are supported and not the current drivers v5xx

I'm also not entirely sure if this repository is still maintained because the last commit was about 9 months ago.

Anyways, as said above, I won't include that modification because I deliver the drivers unmodified, hope that makes sense to you.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

This is well known and Nvidia breaks more an more cards with newer drivers and was discussed often times here.

Sorry but I won't include that because I compile the driver packages as they are provided by Nvidia because I try to deliver the drivers as they are without any modifications.

I don't know if you have seen it in the repository but only the legacy v470.xx drivers are supported and not the current drivers v5xx

I'm also not entirely sure if this repository is still maintained because the last commit was about 9 months ago.

Anyways, as said above, I won't include that modification because I deliver the drivers unmodified, hope that makes sense to you.

Totally makes sense. And thankful that you do! Thanks for checking. 

• Like 1

Is it possible that the Open Source drivers cannot be installed on 6.12.4 ? I have a message saying that these drivers cannot be found for this version of Unraid instead of a radio button next to Open Source in the choices (Latest, New features, Production)

image.png.99a5d192bfdd026f09a6db76f13bef53.png

Edited by vizi0n
3 hours ago, vizi0n said:

I have a message saying that these drivers cannot be found for this version of Unraid instead of a radio button next to Open Source in the choices (Latest, New features, Production)

If this is the case then they are not available, correct. 😉

Do you need them?

I had to recompile the drivers manually for this version and maybe forgot to upload them <- with that I mean that I definitely forgot it if they are not available.

EDIT: The OpenSource driver is now available, please go again to the Nvidia Driver plugin page (if it doesn't list them yet, try again in about 15 minutes).

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, vizi0n said:

I had reverted back to 6.12.3 in order to install them again. I don't have a choice because I'm running a 1660 and the regular drivers will prevent Unraid from booting, so Open Source driver is the only option for me.

This is definitely strange, are you sure that there is nothing else wrong?

Do you have any Diagnostics or better speaking a picture what message that it outputs?