[Plugin] DVB-Driver

ich777

The lines are in there and listed that they repeated many many many many times...

Ah, that makes sense ofc! :D

I am using linuxserver/tvheadend - the container. With this line as Device input:

/dev/dvb

This has been working great from 6.8.3 through 6.9.2 until now.

I have just installed the LibreElec driver (see attached screenshot).

There is no error yet - and as the driver is 0.9.33 I am confident that there won't be any error outputs anymore 🥳

There is this one line that came up after starting a TV stream, but I don't think that this is related?

Mar 21 12:03:45 Eutronik ntpd[1348]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized

---

As a workaround this seems pretty good for now. But as I can't (and should not) rely on the LibreElec drivers not being updated, I guess I should report this somewhere else?

Do you happen to know what is the best way to do that?

Screenshot 2022-03-21 at 12-03-54 Eutronik_dvb-driver.png

41 minutes ago, jnk22 said:

There is this one line that came up after starting a TV stream, but I don't think that this is related?

That should not be related to the DVB driver.

As a workaround this seems pretty good for now. But as I can't (and should not) rely on the LibreElec drivers not being updated, I guess I should report this somewhere else?

The LibreELEC drivers are basically the in tree Kernel drivers and the in tree V4L with all the necessary firmware files so that the drivers can work.

So the in tree Kernel drivers will or at least should be updated and working for a long time.

Do you happen to know what is the best way to do that?

I would report this directly to DigitalDevices themselves, the support email link should be somewhere on their homepage.

Please also include the exact card that you own and Kernel version that you are using.

If you know more please let me also know! If you need anything else feel free to contact me again.

19 minutes ago, ich777 said:

So the in tree Kernel drivers will or at least should be updated and working for a long time.

This is great to hear :) Although ofc I'd like to be able to use more recent drivers in the future again :D

I'll definitely contact DigitalDevices in the next days, it would be awesome to get this fixed in an official way (if this is a bug on their side however).

As soon as I got some news, I'll report back here.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ich777 said:

I think you only tried to implement ot in Plex or am I wrong?

Can you try if it‘s working in TVHeadend and stays there?

Plex can be a bit special when adding TV cards directly.

Your Diagnostics would also be very helpful after the TV card dropped.

I will look into TVHeadend.

I've never had to provide Unraid diagnostics in the 2 years I've been running it so please bare with me when finding and attaching the right file.

I run Plex as a docker and only have the TV tuner for Plex.

I also was wonder if there is a way to check the Tuner card Firmware/driver and if it needed to be updated?

thanks for all your apps/dockers, you also provide many of my gaming server ones too!

Edited by Shockracer
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Shockracer said:

I've never had to provide Unraid diagnostics in the 2 years I've been running it so please bare with me when finding and attaching the right file.

Simply click the underlined text where it says Diagnostics, there are instructions on how to do that. ;)

Please pull the Diagnostics after the card dropped from your system, this will help a lot I think.

I run Plex as a docker and only have the TV tuner for Plex.

Hmmm, that is really strange.

I also was wonder if there is a way to check the Tuner card Firmware/driver and if it needed to be updated?

Usualy the Firmware doesn't need to be updated.

The drivers are up to date if you are using the DVB Driver plugin and a recent Unraid version, I recommend at least Unraid 6.9.2

This plugin actually installs the driver.

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

The drivers are up to date if you are using the DVB Driver plugin and a recent Unraid version, I recommend at least Unraid 6.9.2

This plugin actually installs the driver.

I do currently have Unraid 6.9.2

when the Card locks up again I'll provide Diagnostics before the server restart and then one after.

ich777 said: Hmmm, that is really strange.

Is there another way I should be running the Tuner for plex? I just used this app, it showed the 4 tuners on the card, Plex picked it up.

5 minutes ago, Shockracer said:

Is there another way I should be running the Tuner for plex? I just used this app, it showed the 4 tuners on the card, Plex picked it up.

Usually you run TVHeadend in combination with a bridge app to use it in Plex because Plex can be a little "special" when it comes to TV Tuners...

Also the next time the Tuner drops out please also issue this command from and Unraid terminal and post the output with the Diagnostics here:

ls -la /dev/dvb

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm actually using a skystar 2 Hd Express and I've tried what most of the participants suggested, but it just refuses to get recognized by unraid, can somebody please help me out ?

and Yes, I know, the card is too old by today standards, but what do you gonna do when its all you got.

thanks.

I'm using the latest unraid buil RC4 I guess,  and I've tried all the drivers (OBS, Libreelec)

And here a copy of my tower diagnostics.

Btw, I'm using the only PCIE on my motherboard (a mini-itx)

tower-diagnostics-20220330-0048.zip

Edited by Alucard
added diagnostics
5 hours ago, Alucard said:

I'm using the latest unraid buil RC4 I guess,  and I've tried all the drivers (OBS, Libreelec)

From what I see you got a input/output error:

Mar 30 01:27:27 Tower kernel: dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (SAA716x dvb adapter)
Mar 30 01:27:27 Tower kernel: stv090x_write_regs: Reg=[0xf416], Data=[0x5c ...], Count=1, Status=-5
Mar 30 01:27:27 Tower kernel: stv090x_setup: I/O error
Mar 30 01:27:27 Tower kernel: stv090x_setup_compound: Error setting up device

Is the card working or at least, do you know that it is working?

This card maybe needs custom drivers but I'm not too sure if they will compile against a newer Kernel: Click

Do you have no other alternative? Where are you located at? Selling the card and picking up a inexpensive TBS or DVBSky card on the used market is maybe the better way to go from my perspective.

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

You can also try to change your syslinux.conf to:

BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage initrd=/bzroot saa716x_budget.int_type=1

Thanks for the feedback ich777 ... I've just tried this method but its still not detected in all three drivers.

Guess I'm doomed 

2 hours ago, Alucard said:

Guess I'm doomed 

Does the card work on another machine, the I/O Error is a little weird...

No DVB cards on the used market available where you live? If you have a TBS webshop in your country they have really good cheap cards.

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Does the card work on another machine, the I/O Error is a little weird...

No DVB cards on the used market available where you live? If you have a TBS webshop in your country they have really good cheap cards.

Halas, no, DVBS users are mainly using STBs where I live. This is the only card that I can use for now.

well, at least I've tried. Thanks for you help ich777. very kind of you to provide all this help ... very much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm also getting this error message:

ddbridge 0000:02:00.0: Frontend requested software zigzag, but didn't set the frequency step size

I'm running 6.10.0-rc5 with two Digital Devices adapters. I know that it's only an RC so it won't be looked at now, but I'd like to share with anyone experiencing the same issue.

I did not have any error messages in 6.9.2. The adapters still work in TVHeadend but the logs are filling up quickly. A log entry every second. While I'm getting this error message the DVB info box is empty. A reboot does not help in my case. I  have to first go to the DVB settings and select another DVB package and then select DigitalDevices again, click on the update button. Then I reboot and the DVB info box lists my adapters and no more errors in the log. This error comes back after a while. Not sure what sets it off.

10 hours ago, Jake404 said:

I'm running 6.10.0-rc5 with two Digital Devices adapters.

Please post your Diagnostics, which adapters are you running?

I know that it's only an RC so it won't be looked at now

Why not? Better to fix it now than later…

Then I reboot and the DVB info box lists my adapters and no more errors in the log.

This is a common thing with DVB cards, if this happens again please make sure to shutdown the server, unplug the power cable from the wall, press teh power and reset button a few times (to empty the caps), wait about 1 minute, plug the power cable back into the wall and start your server again.

Your cards should now be back in a working state.

EDIT: Now that I thought about it are your cards pre V6.5? If so please stick to the LibreELEC drivers for your cards.

16 hours ago, ich777 said:

EDIT: Now that I thought about it are your cards pre V6.5? If so please stick to the LibreELEC drivers for your cards.

Yes, they are two DD Cine S2 V6 adapters. I have switched over to LibreELEC and will report back if the error shows up again.

But, something must have changed between Unraid versions. Because, I did not have any error messages in 6.9.2 with the DigitalDevices driver.

3 minutes ago, Jake404 said:

Yes, they are two DD Cine S2 V6 adapters

This is a common issue with this cards on newer Kernel versions.

3 minutes ago, Jake404 said:

But, something must have changed between Unraid versions.

Yes, the Kernel, but you know as time goes on newer and newer Kernel versions are integrated and there is nothing I can do about that „old“ version cards…

You can however contact the DigitalDevices support and send them the error message, the Kernel version and your exact cards.

• 2 weeks later...

DVB Driver Installation: 10-05-2022 12:55

Notification
Please restart your server to complete the installation from the LibreELEC DVB Package ATTENTION: Please update your 'go' file if the plugin doesn't load the Kernel Module correctly for you DVB card, for more information see the DVB Plugin page.

1 hour ago, kob said:

DVB Driver Installation: 10-05-2022 12:55

Notification
Please restart your server to complete the installation from the LibreELEC DVB Package ATTENTION: Please update your 'go' file if the plugin doesn't load the Kernel Module correctly for you DVB card, for more information see the DVB Plugin page.

?

This is the message after installing the plugin for the first time.

Do you have any issues?

Can you please also post your Diagnostics if you have any kind of issues?

If you got a error message like this while upgrading to 6.10.0:

image.png.0bed9077e1a3f8c6c21f081c18c6fb08.png

You can safely ignore that, the plugins are already built and this is caused because the Kernel detection fails on 6.10.0

The plugin packages will be downloaded on boot (as long as there is an active Internet connection on boot).

Hi there,

Quite some time ago we tried getting my MyGyca T230A running with @ich777, but we failed, at least getting dvb-c running. Now I have a different setup and I don't have DVB-C anymore, but I do have DVB-T routed to my unraid server. So I thought to give this tuner a try again so I can sell my DVB-C capable tuner. I managed to get it working perfectly with DVB-T using the TBS-OpenSource package after I added the firmwares I tried back then:

https://github.com/osmc/dvb-firmware-osmc/raw/master/dvb-demod-si2168-d60-01.fw

https://github.com/osmc/dvb-firmware-osmc/raw/master/dvb-tuner-si2141-a10-01.fw

We also have DVB-T2 test running here, which also worked. Wether or not DVB-C is working, I have no idea and I cannot test anymore. Still, I think it is worth adding the above firmwares to the TBS-OpenSourse package. I know it is weird that it works with that driver and not libreelec, but if it works, who cares :)

BTW, it's a cool tuner, I also have an old af9015 based tuner, both of these T230 tuners can do about 10dB better signal strength.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:54 PM, andris said:

The end of the original discussion

Thanks for the continous developement of the plugin as well as the help back then!

• Like 1

Maybe I was still on a previous version. I only just updated to 6.10 because I happen to have a microserver gen8 which originally wasn't recommended due to a bug.

On 6.10, I went back to libreelec (I found some forum posts that libreelec supports this on kernel 5.15 and later), and it worked without problems.

• Like 1

@ich777

Is it possible to have both TBS 6205 and TBS 6981 work in tandem?

At the moment it's 1 or the other.

TBS 6205 works via TBS-OpenSource drivers only

TBS 6981 works via the LibreELEC drivers only 

Thanks