PSA on SanDisk USBs

SpencerJ

1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

I spent a few hours in blender, here's a rough draft. I can add Unraid text pretty easily, but I just wanted to get a proof of concept going. It's a very tight fit, Printed in PETG, so stringing galore across all the tiny holes. First draft was no ventilation, just the two shells, which printed perfect in PETG, but I wanted airflow possibilities.

Have you checked temps after prolonged running yet?

Yes, checked the temps with the solid case models I've tried and no issues. Your case most certainly won't have any issues with all that ventilation. Good job!

• Like 1

This is my first time seeing this thread and to be honest all my previous SanDisk flash drives from 2017 have failed me & many other complicated issues including one of the support staff thought my USB port is at fault, now I'm using Kingston DataTraveler 3 for over a year on both my servers & not a single issue.

I can recommend these:

grafik.png.e7a496c3f92d21800a25a73bfbbf59b0.png

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N4EUXCU

This is an external M2 SATA SSD enclosure that creates a valid GUID which is a mix from the enclosure and the SSD that you put into it, so to speak the GUID is not tied to the enclosure.

In my case it looks something like that:

grafik.png.26f1f1d89f631c4fca3306bd68c2dcf6.png

(the last part is actually the last few digits from the GUID from the disk itself)

As a bonus this enclosure is USB-C and you can use any internal header to USB cable (like: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09NQYXJYS) if you want to put it in your server.

• Like 4
On 3/3/2024 at 1:34 AM, ich777 said:

I can recommend these:

grafik.png.e7a496c3f92d21800a25a73bfbbf59b0.png

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N4EUXCU

This is an external M2 SATA SSD enclosure that creates a valid GUID which is a mix from the enclosure and the SSD that you put into it, so to speak the GUID is not tied to the enclosure.

In my case it looks something like that:

grafik.png.26f1f1d89f631c4fca3306bd68c2dcf6.png

(the last part is actually the last few digits from the GUID from the disk itself)

As a bonus this enclosure is USB-C and you can use any internal header to USB cable (like: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09NQYXJYS) if you want to put it in your server.

That's certainly another option. I'm tempted to buy one of the Eluteng to m.2 SSD adapters that looks like it will also have a unique GUID. Too bad the GUID isn't just the enclosure for this Transcend model as that still means a license transfer if/when the SSD dies. But as m.2 SSDs use the higher quality NVRAM, it may have a long life.

I had one of my systems corrupt the mSATA SSD about 8 months into use. I swapped on a replacement mSATA SSD, used the Creator Tool and then restored my backup and was back up and running in 10 minutes. With the Transcend adapter that might take a bit longer as you have to transfer the license as the GUID will change with a replacement m.2 SSD.

That said, I fully tested the mSATA SSD that got corrupted and it's fine. Ran multiple tests and nothing wrong at all, so it was just a random corruption but no actual failure. I suspect a m.2 SSD would behave similarly - you would just have to reformat, rebuild using the Creator tool and restore your backup instead of replacing the m.2 SSD. That way the GUID remains unchanged and no license transfer will be required.

2 hours ago, AgentXXL said:

I'm tempted to buy one of the Eluteng to m.2 SSD adapters that looks like it will also have a unique GUID.

Not sure about that since I tried a few enclosures and most had a generic GUID which was alwas the same.

8 minutes ago, adoucette said:

Are you willing to share the .stl file for this?

Couple issues that I need to work through. I'd like to make a little something from my hours of design work, however, it's using registered trademarks, so I'm not comfortable asking for money, or even releasing it without Limetech's ok. The Limetech team is super busy with way more important stuff, so I haven't even had the discussion with anyone that has the authority to discuss it. I don't want to add more distractions to the mix, it's bad enough that they are dealing with the premature announcement of the license restructuring.

On 3/4/2024 at 2:04 PM, ich777 said:

Not sure about that since I tried a few enclosures and most had a generic GUID which was alwas the same.

I've asked Eluteng since they are the ones who make the mSATA adapter that has a unique GUID. So far they haven't responded - asked them the expected lifetime of the mSATA adapters and if they could confirm if their m.2 to USB adapter also offers the unique GUID.

11 hours ago, adoucette said:

@JonathanM Are you willing to share the .stl file for this?

Perfect timing as my Samsung Bar 64GB USB stick just died after two years' use.

After seeing your request to JonathanM, I created my own design which I am happy to share.  It does not have any markings or trademarks, but it does have around 350 diamond-shaped ventilation holes for cooling.  I've uploaded the .stl files to Thingiverse along with some images, notes, and settings.  You can download the files and read more design here:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6520361

I hope that folks find it useful.

IMG_8655.jpeg

IMG_8653.jpeg

• Like 8
15 hours ago, Miss_Sissy said:

I've uploaded the .stl files to Thingiverse along with some images, notes, and settings.  You can download the files and read more design here:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6520361

Downloaded the .stl files from Thiniverse, ordered them for printing from Craftcloud, total only $11 after production and shipping.

Thank you Missy. Will donate to a local charity per your suggestion.

Ari

On 2/26/2024 at 4:56 PM, SpencerJ said:

Another option/alternative to USBs that we've been internally testing and vetting are mSATA adapters/drives:

This USB mSATA adapter (~$10) appears to provide unique GUIDs for Unraid:

This 32GB mSATA drive works with the above adapter (~$15):

Warning:  I bought both products from those links and got this GUID-used-or-blacklisted error when I tried to apply my activation code:

image.thumb.png.b2d298cceff27758abb755ae392c1294.png

So much for "appears to provide unique GUIDs for Unraid."

I emailed Limetech support and am awaiting their response.  I suggest that people hold off on buying these pending some sort of resolution.

Edited by Miss_Sissy
left out a word
  • Upvote 1
Just now, adoucette said:

Too bad - that's exactly what I just purchased as well as got case printed for.

Sorry about that.  But it could be that it depends on revision or lot number of the adapter or the mounted mSATA SSD.   You may be lucky even if I was not.

2 hours ago, Miss_Sissy said:

Warning:  I bought both products from those links and got this GUID-used-or-blacklisted error when I tried to apply my activation code:

So much for "appears to provide unique GUIDs for Unraid."

I emailed Limetech support and am awaiting their response.  I suggest that people hold off on buying these pending some sort of resolution.

I will amend my post. Thanks for testing and sorry it didn't work out- you should be able to return the adapters within 30 days. I'm trying to determine now if this was a "bad batch" or something that changed from a manufacturing standpoint. Thus far, I have not heard back from Eluteng in my communication attempts. 

1 hour ago, SpencerJ said:

I will amend my post. Thanks for testing and sorry it didn't work out- you should be able to return the adapters within 30 days. I'm trying to determine now if this was a "bad batch" or something that changed from a manufacturing standpoint. Thus far, I have not heard back from Eluteng in my communication attempts. 

This is how we find things out.  After the effort I put into designing the enclosure yesterday, I'll hang onto everything for general usage.  Also, I don't want to get on Amazon's bad side for returning items that work as advertised.

I have a pair of mSata adapters, sitting at customs right now, that also allegedly has GUID. Different board manufacturer, pcb not the same as the ones you've showed here. Has the ASM1153E Chip. Will share URL if it works out.

*Already downloaded your thingiverse files. Thank you for sharing. Hoping they might fit.  Clean work with an Ender 3 @Miss_Sissy

• Like 1

Hi folks. 
New user here and currently shopping USB options.
The concept of keeping the GUID when swapping internals is very attractive. 

That said, I have a Samsung T5 mSATA enclosure, and an SSK m.2 enclosure I can put my old 16GB Optane into. 

Anyone have experience with either of those options? 

12 hours ago, J_5 said:

That said, I have a Samsung T5 mSATA enclosure, and an SSK m.2 enclosure I can put my old 16GB Optane into. 

Anyone have experience with either of those options? 

I've been spooked off of getting 'creative.'  The problem is that the first person who tries something will probably see success.  But what happens if another person tries the same thing and it turns out that their device provides the same GUID numbers?

• Upvote 1
On 3/7/2024 at 2:46 PM, Miss_Sissy said:

It is a good thing i waited a few days to buy all the stuff to make one of those, i have everything sitting in my amazon cart right now haha. 

I guess ill wait for another adapter option or for the cheaper version of the Swissbit mlc usb drives to come back in stock. 

Thanks for the heads up.

2 minutes ago, adoucette said:

@Miss_Sissy your .stl file worked perfectly to house the referenced parts. Just arrived. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad that the design worked and I'm sorry that the parts don't provide a unique GUID for our use with Unraid.  I was nervous that you couldn't do any iterations to make adjustments, but it sounds like the service you used has printers that 'agree' with mine.

On 2/26/2024 at 4:56 PM, SpencerJ said:

3.7.24 Update: Caveat Emptor: Multiple users have run into GUID conflicts with these devices.

I had assumed that because the poster was listed as an "administrator" on the forum and posting that "we've been internally testing and vetting" the devices that it was advice coming from Unraid's internal team and the device would work.

Add this user to the list who bought the recommended device and found the GUID had already been blacklisted (used).

Overall not too much $ lost I suppose, just $30 on Amazon for the device (plus $11 for a (really nice) enclosure for it). Unraid has been worth that and more, IMO.

The post now says "caveat emptor". I would humbly suggest the admin team "caveat postor" to prevent similar in future.