[Support] xthursdayx - RoonServer

On 3/13/2023 at 9:24 AM, rutherford said:

When you first run the Roon client, you are presented with a screen that says "Choose your Roon Core" where it will try and find a running Roon Core on the network, or you can "Set up a Roon Core on this PC"

If you've already selected the Set up a Roon Core on this PC, then you can get into the software and start listening to music: BUT that wasn't the right move. As you've set up your Roon Core on the network already, you need to backup the local installation process. Open your Roon Software, go to Settings, then logout. Close the software. Re-run the software and hopefully it'll find your Roon Core on the network.

After you hit Connect to core, you'll be presented with the username/password to get authenticated with Roon registration software. You've already started the free trial (I can see that from your screen shot up there).

on ntwork.png

So that was the missing piece. When you first log in. Got that now working. Have the ARC running now. Does the Roon Core populate my music automatically? Or do I need to do a command or something?

2 minutes ago, VIthe3rd said:

So that was the missing piece. When you first log in. Got that now working. Have the ARC running now. Does the Roon Core populate my music automatically? Or do I need to do a command or something?

Figured that out..... It is now populating. 

• Like 1
On 3/17/2023 at 10:03 PM, VIthe3rd said:

How to fix that warning?

Hi,

Thanks for creating this container. It has worked fine for ages, but recently I started getting the same 'get lock file path' error that others are getting.

I deleted the docker and the appdata folder and reinstalled, same error.

I checked for the double docker path that one user had but it still throws the error.

Do you have any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks
Jim

On 3/24/2023 at 5:56 PM, eaglepigjim said:

Hi,

Thanks for creating this container. It has worked fine for ages, but recently I started getting the same 'get lock file path' error that others are getting.

I deleted the docker and the appdata folder and reinstalled, same error.

I checked for the double docker path that one user had but it still throws the error.

Do you have any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks
Jim

Never mind, after hours of troubleshooting I found out the Roon Client would just hang on the loading screen. I reinstalled it and it worked again because it said I had to revoke the previous installation.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 3:26 PM, eaglepigjim said:

Never mind, after hours of troubleshooting I found out the Roon Client would just hang on the loading screen. I reinstalled it and it worked again because it said I had to revoke the previous installation.

Could you explain further how you got rid of the error please. My Roon client doesn't hang at all but I am getting that same error in the logs. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. Having a huge problem here. I installed the docker as per the guide. Then followed up with connecting to the new server in the Roon software on my Windows laptop. It found it right away and asked for my login. I did that, and then nothing really happened. Roon just times out and report a network error.
Looking at the logs, something defenitely is wrong.
Looking above the red line, is after I installed the docker, but before I logged in in the Roon program. Below the red line is after I log in. As you see, it just start looping the same 10 or so lines again and again.

What the hell is wrong here?

roon error.jpg

• 1 month later...

n my Windows PC I have problems accessing Unraid server shares, often to be able to access the shares I have to click several times on the server icon before it opens. Investigating the problem I noticed that if instead of using the name of the server (Tower) I use the IP address this opens immediately. In the Unraid server log I found this warning:

"WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended."

lsof -i -P -n | grep 5353

and I have this reply:

avahi-dae 15225  avahi   14u  IPv4 3572990      0t0  UDP *:5353 
RoonAppli 20514   root  280u  IPv4 1883480      0t0  UDP *:5353 
RoonAppli 20514   root  282u  IPv4 1883482      0t0  UDP *:5353 
RoonAppli 20514   root  284u  IPv4 1883484      0t0  UDP *:5353 

It therefore seems that Roon's docker creates an incompatibility with avahi's mDNS. Unfortunately I am not so experienced as to understand how to solve this problem. Any help? Thank you.-

Edited 3 hours ago by Flavio61

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

After roon told me there is an update, I installed it the internal way and until now I'm not able to login or see my roon core.

With started roon docker container I'm not able to see log. When stopped I'm able to see the docker log which says "permission denied". Tryed everything. Removing the old Docker, installed it completely new. Moving old appdata ...

What else informations do need?

Edit:

27.12.2023 22:18:40
/run.sh: line 39: /app/RoonServer/start.sh: Permission denied
27.12.2023 22:19:40
27.12.2023 22:20:40
27.12.2023 22:21:40

This is my Log

Edit2:

29.12.2023 17:42:05
00:00:00.000 Info:  get lock file path: /tmp/.rnsgem0-
00:00:00.003 Info:  GetLockFile, fd: 34
00:00:00.003 Info:  GetLockFile, res: 0
00:00:00.003 Trace: Nope, we are the only one running
Initializing
Started
29.12.2023 17:42:06
aac_fixed decoder found, checking libavcodec version...
29.12.2023 17:42:06
has mp3float: 1, aac_fixed: 1
29.12.2023 17:42:10
Running

newest Log.

Still no connection to the Roon Core ...

Edited by dan4UR
After complete Reinstall

My core is up and running. Also connection from android client is up again.

Solution:

I had to completely remove the Docker container, and manually remove the "roonserver" folder in appdata. Then I did a complete reinstall with allocations within the docker template. After this I wasn't still able to discover the core neither the android client nor Windows 10 Client.

The solution was configure a new core. First was to restore from backup, restart the core and after that I logged in with my credentials and now everything ist up again and running.

• 1 month later...

So Roon is up and running fine for me locally. But I can't get Roon ARC working. Prior to running this on unraid, I had a stand-alone NUC running it, and ARC worked fine there. I copied the firewall settings over to the IP address I assigned the docker container, and within Roon when I run the check it says everything is good to go. But ARC can't reach it. Compared to other docker apps, it doesn't show any port mappings. Is this expected behavior? I left the default 55000, and even tried manually adding 55555, but neither show up.

Screenshot_20240206_200032.thumb.png.a44e29e5323beb80310a3145652ba2c9.png

@fun.hat I think you're barking up the wrong tree there. Here's the line for Roonserver in my Docker tab

1357145006_Screenshot2024-02-06193733.thumb.png.de7444f2da133fc10a52e81b10e84407.png

I'll slap some more pics down below...

Roon > Settings > ARC

pic with blue buttons is my Netger Orbi router WAN settings. You gotta make sure your WAN side of your router has an addressable external IP address. Another way you can check this, is visit whatismyip.com from any computer on your network. Then make sure you see that same IP address in the WAN setting in your router. That will make sure that you don't have a double nat situation roon forums.

Definitely breeze through some of this stuff, see if anything jumps out at you as applying to your situation

https://community.roonlabs.com/c/support/port-forwarding-resources/104

And finally the port forwarding services that I have is the one with all the redactions. My server ip is 192.168.11.54

oh, and the docker settings, with More Settings (?) expanded at the bottom.

Something else you wanna watch out for is cgnat: carrier grade NAT, that means the IP address you've been given IS NOT accessible from the www. Check out lists of ISPs to see if you are in that situation. Might be that a static IP from your ISP would sort that out. Or some tailscale network wide VPN would also sort that out.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 1942042.png

Screenshot 2024-02-06 194100.png

Screenshot 2024-02-06 194136.png

screencapture-192-168-11-54-Docker-UpdateContainer-2024-02-06-19_39_12.png

Edited by rutherford

Yeah, I am aware of that stuff from my NUC. I got it working. Only thing I can figure that changed it is I had to set the NAT port forward rule to apply to UDP/TCP. I had it as just TCP when Roon was on my NUC and it worked fine. Not sure why it's any different in the docker container, but all seems well now.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi - hoping someone can help me out as I'm clueless really to unraid.

I've been using Roon from my laptop with music on few large USB drives.

Followed migration advice from Roon - I've got my music files all on the server, got the RoonServer docker installed and mapped and running.

Logged out of Roon software then logged in via my latest Roon backup, after following Roon's instruction to 'forget' all my old USB drive shares, so I retain all my playlists etc.

Able to connect to RS on my server no problem but cannot then add the music folder on the server. When I click on 'add folder' under Roon's storage all I can access is the RS docker install on the server.

image.thumb.png.47c121f94018aeda7826884b70c5cfef.png

Under RoonServer logs it says

image.thumb.png.5154889707704d2b1a454da78a58c0e1.png

But I have no idea what that means.

I can access my media shares via SMB on laptop and other devices fine.

Tried reading various threads but have not find a solution.

Any advice/tips would be great.

TIA

The idea behind Docker is that the software has everything it needs to run all inside its own walled garden. You specify a few little holes it has to see through in the docker config page on the unraid template. Port 55000 is open to it. You have your unraid path /mnt/user/Music mapped over to /music

and a few other paths mapped. 
Roon, inside its little garden, thinks it has a /music folder, and has read write access to that folder. In fact, that /music folder is mapped to an external to the garden folder at /mmt/user/Music

So scroll down a bit to the part where the folder /music resides and see if all your music files are in there.

When we put a slash as the first thing, it means root directory. When we don’t specify a slash first, is a relative directory. 

let’s say my Documents folder is in my username folder. I’d type that like Documents/

if my documents was on my “C:” directly, I’d type /Documents 

I'm assuming you’re a windows user and have some experience with Windows Explorer. 

Edited by rutherford
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So I've seen this error posted a lot before but it always seems somewhat unrelated to the issue the user is having

image.thumb.png.8f00d62eb2234eada7dc98b61b0c1c46.pngM
My Issue is that after using Roon for a while and then taking a break it just wont find the roon server again and I have to restart the container.

I've tried to reinstall the container and remove all the config files but that did not help.

It was working fine for months and the only thing I have changed is some network equipment.

On 9/30/2023 at 10:28 AM, Flavio61 said:

n my Windows PC I have problems accessing Unraid server shares, often to be able to access the shares I have to click several times on the server icon before it opens. Investigating the problem I noticed that if instead of using the name of the server (Tower) I use the IP address this opens immediately. In the Unraid server log I found this warning:

"WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended."

lsof -i -P -n | grep 5353

and I have this reply:

avahi-dae 15225  avahi   14u  IPv4 3572990      0t0  UDP *:5353 
RoonAppli 20514   root  280u  IPv4 1883480      0t0  UDP *:5353 
RoonAppli 20514   root  282u  IPv4 1883482      0t0  UDP *:5353 
RoonAppli 20514   root  284u  IPv4 1883484      0t0  UDP *:5353 

It therefore seems that Roon's docker creates an incompatibility with avahi's mDNS. Unfortunately I am not so experienced as to understand how to solve this problem. Any help? Thank you.-

Edited 3 hours ago by Flavio61

I see the same warning in my server log:

avahi-daemon[3985]: *** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

and the same output from the "lsof -i -P -n | grep 5353" command:

avahi-dae  3985  avahi   14u  IPv4 39789328      0t0  UDP *:5353 
RoonAppli 24329   root  276u  IPv4 71818202      0t0  UDP *:5353 
RoonAppli 24329   root  278u  IPv4 71818204      0t0  UDP *:5353 
RoonAppli 24329   root  280u  IPv4 71818206      0t0  UDP *:5353 

Roon is working fine, as is Roon Arc,  but my Roon log shows these errors:

image.thumb.png.e9649b0bc522833a18e05d608c4734d3.png

Should I be concerned?