[Plugin] Appdata.Backup

Hi,

I have following issue in my log file:

[11.05.2024 00:05:03][ℹ️][Main] 👋 WELCOME TO APPDATA.BACKUP!! :D
[11.05.2024 00:05:03][ℹ️][Main] Backing up from: /mnt/user/appdata, /mnt/cache/appdata
[11.05.2024 00:05:03][ℹ️][Main] Backing up to: /mnt/user/backups/CommunityApplicationsAppdataBackup/ab_20240511_000503
[11.05.2024 00:05:03][ℹ️][Main] Selected containers: AdGuard-Home, Grafana, Influxdb, PlexOnDisktopia, Portainer-Agent, Portainer-CE, adminer, duplicati, iobroker, mariadb, modbus-proxy, modbus-proxy-new, nextcloud, pihole, resilio-sync, swag, wonderful_tesla
[11.05.2024 00:05:03][ℹ️][Main] Saving container XML files...
[11.05.2024 00:05:03][ℹ️][Main] Method: Stop/Backup/Start
[11.05.2024 00:05:03][ℹ️][wonderful_tesla] No stopping needed for wonderful_tesla: Not started!
[11.05.2024 00:05:03][][wonderful_tesla] '/root/config.yml' does NOT exist! Please check your mappings! Skipping it for now.
[11.05.2024 00:05:04][ℹ️][wonderful_tesla] Should NOT backup external volumes, sanitizing them...
[11.05.2024 00:05:04][⚠️][wonderful_tesla] wonderful_tesla does not have any volume to back up! Skipping. Please consider ignoring this container.
[11.05.2024 00:05:04][ℹ️][wonderful_tesla] Starting wonderful_tesla is being ignored, because it was not started before (or should not be started).
[11.05.2024 00:05:04][ℹ️][modbus-proxy-new] No stopping needed for modbus-proxy-new: Not started!

What is "wonderful_tesla" and why does it requiere config.yml ...?

Does someone has any idea to get rid of this issue?

Thx in advance!

Posted (edited)

That would be a container that was not created by Unraid templates or Compose and got a random name, so the plugin has no idea where to find info about it. You'll have to find what it is.

Edited by Kilrah
On 4/10/2023 at 4:22 PM, KluthR said:

Currently you are advised to set the following exclusions for plex:

• Each following paths need to be prefixed with your correct appdata path!
    • Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache
    • Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media
    • Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata

So, I'm a bit curious, what does this Metadata and Media exclusion mean? I have quite a few titles with custom metadata for instance. I would really like to back that up. Is there something potentially useful in the Media folder too?

Another question. Is there a way to automatically delete failed backups? I just checked the folder, and seems it just keeps old failed ones:

0GgLUOr.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nimrad said:

Another question. Is there a way to automatically delete failed backups?

When there are failed ones you should investigate, fix and clean up yourself. Things are not being automatically deleted because nothing can guess what was wrong and the last thing you'd want is one of those backups that e.g. needed something restored to fix the issue being auto-deleted.

54 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

When there are failed ones you should investigate, fix and clean up yourself. Things are not being automatically deleted because nothing can guess what was wrong and the last thing you'd want is one of those backups that e.g. needed something restored to fix the issue being auto-deleted.

They fail because I manually start plex during the backup before it finishes. That's why I just wanna delete them. It happens when the timing doesn't suit me, which is not that uncommon.

On 5/8/2024 at 5:13 PM, CS01-HS said:

A file browser's built it.

Go to shares in the top menu and navigate to the file then use the file menu to delete or change permissions.

2024-05-1220_49_45-Tower_BrowseMozillaFirefox.thumb.jpg.50b6a4914bcf2e100af8fa0dc34d355b.jpg

Didn't know I could browse from the share menu.  Very cool.  Now where's the delete button?

I tried right clicking on the folder and opening the folder and also right clicking but no delete button.

21 hours ago, Nimrad said:

So, I'm a bit curious, what does this Metadata and Media exclusion mean? I have quite a few titles with custom metadata for instance. I would really like to back that up. Is there something potentially useful in the Media folder too?

Another question. Is there a way to automatically delete failed backups? I just checked the folder, and seems it just keeps old failed ones:

0GgLUOr.png

How do you even manually delete it?  I tried with VNC and it doesn't delete it.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:54 PM, Sptz87 said:

On plex container backup, on Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache I understand it's something that's just recreated easily.

But if I have a crap ton of media that takes days to recreate video preview thumbnails etc and if I also want to keep Posters etc, is there any logical reason not to backup the below?

Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media

Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata

@Sptz87 Did you ever get an answer to this, since I'm wondering the same?

I am trying so hard to get this to work...but the start/stop is so confusing. 

I use "Stop, Backup, Start for each container". 

But this statement "This defines the start sequence. Stop would be this order in reverse"

So if it's starting and stopping each container individually....that second statement seems contradicting. Is it backing up from Top > Down, or Down > Up?? 

But then using a group, it says "All Containers inside a group will be stopped by their order, backuped then started again" so, does using a group bypass the "Stop, Backup, Start for each container" option and instead it stops all, backs up all, then starts in the same order?

I need my VPN containers to be up, before moving to the rest, but the ordering isn't making any sense to me and I keep running into issues with containers not working after AppData Backup runs on Mondays. 

image.png.4540778292a8b1ea295e56995739893b.png

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Order seems right, but you may need delays set on the vpn containers since they probably take a while after being "started" before they actually connect, can set that on the Docker page.

So I have a 30 second delay on each on of these containers, but something still isn't right as they are all broken and down after the backup 

I am giving this a try to see if this works any better, basically backup the VPN containers as it's own group, then move on, but still confused on the start order. Assuming it's backwards, VPN is first to backup, then VPN2 will go next, then the rest of my containers where order doesn't matter 
image.thumb.png.6fae163c1487a305b8ef2c7c300e4bcc.png

6 hours ago, Indi said:

but still confused on the start order.

Again they start from top to bottom.

Also note that on the Docker page

Enter a value into the wait field indicating the delay (in seconds) to be used before attempting to start the next container in the list.

So you want the delays on the VPN containers themselves. 30sec may or may not be enough depending on your provider, do some tests.

9 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Again they start from top to bottom.

So does the "Stop will be this order in reverse" only apply when you do stop all, backup all, start all?

That's why I am confused, if the start order is top to bottom, but you're using stop/backup/start for each container, if stop is the first action then it would be starting from the bottom?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Indi said:

So does the "Stop will be this order in reverse" only apply when you do stop all, backup all, start all?

That's why I am confused, if the start order is top to bottom, but you're using stop/backup/start for each container, if stop is the first action then it would be starting from the bottom?

Don't get how this gets misunderstood.

"Stop/backup/start for each container" does that by for things not in a group.

When in a group that overrides it, and the whole group is what's "stopped/backed up/started". The start order for that group is from top to bottom, which means the stop order is the reverse.

So once it gets to a group containers in it are stopped from bottom to top, all are backed up, then started from top to bottom. Then it moves to the next container or group.

Edited by Kilrah
2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Don't get how this gets misinderstood.

"Stop/backup/start for each container" does that by for things not in a group.

When in a group that overrides it, and the whole group is what's "stopped/backed up/started". The start order for that group is from top to bottom, which means the stop order is the reverse.

So once it gets to a group containers in it are stopped from bottom to top, all are backed up, then started from top to bottom. Then it moves to the next container or group.

It's starting to make some sense, though the one part that's unclear is the containers outside of a group, so the underlying order for all containers and the groups. For mine below, I still don't know if the VPN groups at the bottom are first to be backed up, or if it's going to start at the top when using the option "Stop/backup/start for each container". 

It's misunderstood for me because the start and stop are two different orders, and the very nature of stop/backup/start for each container should go line by line, but it literally could go in either direction and it's not clear which direction that is. 

Is it stoping/backup/starting from top down in the main list? 

Or because it's stopping first, is it going in reverse order from bottom up, because it says stop is that order in reverse and stopping is the first action. 

If it is going bottom up, then the placement of my VPN groups is wrong in the main list. 

image.thumb.png.67bbd1833181676318e480f62f5bfecc.png

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Indi said:

Is it stoping/backup/starting from top down in the main list? 

Again no, same is still valid, start order is top to bottom, so stop order is bottom to top. 

So your vpn2 group is the first to be stopped/backed up/restarted. Once that's been done, same happens for the VPN group. Then any individual containers above.

Within the group the bottom container will be the first to be stopped, etc.

Easy to confirm from the log after a run too.

21 minutes ago, Indi said:

It's misunderstood for me because the start and stop are two different orders

Of course since the whole point is that the "most important" container will remain available until all others are stopped, then will be available again before the others are restarted. 

Edited by Kilrah
1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

start order is top to bottom, so stop order is bottom to top.

This is exactly why it's confusing learning this plugin, because stop/backup/start each container makes this statement conflicting. You can't start from the top and stop from the bottom at the same time

So stop/backup/start for each container is actually stopping, and starting, from the bottom up only, it does not start from top down 

I appreciate your patience and helping me with this, I think I got things working and splitting up the groups has helped, also knowing that start/stop is from bottom up for the specific option I have set, I'm in a much better state

Is there any way we can get a feature update for this plugin to re-use Unraid's built-in docker start behavior? I've had a lot of issues with this plugin's start sequence, which I'm assuming are due to the lack of a delay feature.

Regardless, 99% of user's start sequence will be identical to whatever they currently have configured in the Unraid Docker GUI.

Hi,

New to Unraid so excuse if my question is dumb. I setup the plugin to take backups of my docker containers. However, some of my docker containers are pointing to different disks configured using the Unassigned Disk plugin. I was able to setup the AppData Backup plugin to backup all those directories.

However, when I run the backup, I get the below error in the AppData Backup Plugin logs for some of the containers. Below example of nextcloud.

image.thumb.png.b4a7eb196c8df993820603638be3c77f.png

Could you assist so I can understand what does "Should NOT backup external volumes, sanitizing them" mean and why am I getting the error in the screenshot "tar verification failed"?

Thanks.

Means you haven't set the container to backup external mappings, i.e. what's not within the appdata sources

Error is likely because something has accessed the files during the backup, e.g. if the container isn't stopped or something else accesses the same paths.

Do any of you save home automation containers: mosquitto / zigbee2mqtt. For Home Assitant I use a native backup automation.

I can't afford to stop these containers so as not to have any problems with my home automation. Would enabling the “Skip stopping of container” option for these two containers pose a problem?

Thanks