[Support] - Unifi-Controller: Unifi. Unraid. Reborn.

Yes but this is a meaningless statement that does not actually explain what the issue actually is:

”Due to the way in which Ubiquiti package and distribute their software our Unifi Controllercontainer has reached a point where we cannot upgrade to newer supported packages without making breaking changes to the image.”

I can read this and still have no idea what they are talking about. 

• Like 1
On 12/2/2023 at 5:21 AM, PeteAsking said:

If you donate to a charity that supports a good cause like children in Ukraine or just any cause you feel strongly about or just even to Unicef or some other organisation then you have done more than 99.99% of people and everyone can raise a beer to you for your generosity. 

Donation granted

image.png.d291f9fabba839fcd10fd4efe953fe17.png

• Like 1

Thanks @PeteAsking For the new template as well as clear instructions.

After reading through a bunch of the earlier (pre-new-thread) posts i was sure it was going to be a painful experience, but it was not the case. I was all done in about 15 minutes. I gave bridge network a run initially just to see if it would work, it didn't (i had my old stuff on a br0 network anyway). Quick switch of network to further duplicate what I already had and I was all set, nil further required after the config restore.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Joshndroid said:

Thanks @PeteAsking For the new template as well as clear instructions.

After reading through a bunch of the earlier (pre-new-thread) posts i was sure it was going to be a painful experience, but it was not the case. I was all done in about 15 minutes. I gave bridge network a run initially just to see if it would work, it didn't (i had my old stuff on a br0 network anyway). Quick switch of network to further duplicate what I already had and I was all set, nil further required after the config restore.

Thats great. A few people helped iron out some of the early kinks so good to hear the experience is improving. 

• Like 1

My current Unifi Controller (linuxserver.io) is running on Network Type: Custom: BR0.30 (VLAN 30).  Will this pose a problem when I switch to the reborn container?

Also, will the restore also restore the SSL certificate (self signed) that I had configured so my browser doesn't complain about the HTTPS? 

Edited by mifronte
4 hours ago, mifronte said:

My current Unifi Controller (linuxserver.io) is running on Network Type: Custom: BR0.30 (VLAN 30).  Will this pose a problem when I switch to the reborn container?

Also, will the restore also restore the SSL certificate (self signed) that I had configured so my browser doesn't complain about the HTTPS? 

Hi,

no it wont be a problem but you will need to change the networking to be exactly the same prior to restore or devices will not be adopted as they will see a different ip and refuse to accept the new controller. 

I actually have never tested the self signed certificate during a restore but I imagine you would have to recreate this and it is not part of the restore process. 

14 minutes ago, mifronte said:

Is there a recommended version of the controller that I would need to be at before switching from the linuxserver.io container to the reborn container?  I am currently on 7.2.95.

I switched from 7.3.83 without any issues. Since they’re two completely separate containers you can just stop the current one, after getting your backup, and then go through the process to install the replacement. It’s easy to revert back if you have issues.

Edited by wgstarks
On 12/11/2023 at 2:50 AM, wgstarks said:

I switched from 7.3.83 without any issues. Since they’re two completely separate containers you can just stop the current one, after getting your backup, and then go through the process to install the replacement. It’s easy to revert back if you have issues.

I have been following ll this and ready to jum,p on board also.

This comment may have answered my question however - I am currently on linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.3.83 and this new container only provides for 7.5.187-unraid and 8.0.7-unraid.  I had assumed I have to change my current controller to one of these as the backup and restore would be a large jumpt to a newer release.

So is it OK therefore to JUMP to the 7.5.187-unraid release ? with my 'older' hardware - namely :

USG3

US-8-60W

USW-Flex-Mini

UAP-AC-Lite

UAP-AC-LR

EDIT - Never mind, I did a snapshot and took the plunge on the 'upgrade' on the linuxserver.io and changed the tag to linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.5.187-ls216.  All my stuff seesm fine - so far only noticed my 'LAN' has changed to 'Default' everywhere - but all is working well.  I can now do a direct backup / restore to your new container @peteasking - thanks heaps on all this effort....... or should I go the 8.0.7 route.......  while feeling reckless! 

Edited by vw-kombi
Did it anyway.
  • Like 1

Any thoughts on making a copy of the current linuxserver.io unifi appdata and then configuring the reborn container to the location of the appdata copy?  Will the reborn unifi be able to use the copy of the linuxserver.io appdata so that no restore is required and hopefully I retain my SSL self signed certificate (I don't recall how I got it to work, but I am hoping to avoid having to do it again).

6 hours ago, mifronte said:

Any thoughts on making a copy of the current linuxserver.io unifi appdata and then configuring the reborn container to the location of the appdata copy?  Will the reborn unifi be able to use the copy of the linuxserver.io appdata so that no restore is required and hopefully I retain my SSL self signed certificate (I don't recall how I got it to work, but I am hoping to avoid having to do it again).

This is beyond the scope of the project unfortunately. Unifi provide a backup and restore method that seems to work and so doing more complex restores is not something we can support. 

7 hours ago, vw-kombi said:

I have been following ll this and ready to jum,p on board also.

This comment may have answered my question however - I am currently on linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.3.83 and this new container only provides for 7.5.187-unraid and 8.0.7-unraid.  I had assumed I have to change my current controller to one of these as the backup and restore would be a large jumpt to a newer release.

So is it OK therefore to JUMP to the 7.5.187-unraid release ? with my 'older' hardware - namely :

USG3

US-8-60W

USW-Flex-Mini

UAP-AC-Lite

UAP-AC-LR

EDIT - Never mind, I did a snapshot and took the plunge on the 'upgrade' on the linuxserver.io and changed the tag to linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.5.187-ls216.  All my stuff seesm fine - so far only noticed my 'LAN' has changed to 'Default' everywhere - but all is working well.  I can now do a direct backup / restore to your new container @peteasking - thanks heaps on all this effort....... or should I go the 8.0.7 route.......  while feeling reckless! 

If you backup your docker images as per the normal way on unraid with the ca backup plugin then you can always try and roll back of its not working for you. 

I have setup xfs now on my cache drives so I can snapshot save rather than appdata backup.  Never any downtime anymore for the saves.  It’s liberating.  I followed space invader one’s YouTube for instructions on all that.  Really good and automated snapshot saves to the other cache drive each night.

9 minutes ago, vw-kombi said:

I have setup xfs now on my cache drives so I can snapshot save rather than appdata backup.  Never any downtime anymore for the saves.  It’s liberating.  I followed space invader one’s YouTube for instructions on all that.  Really good and automated snapshot saves to the other cache drive each night.

Ok then I guess there is no harm to try an upgrade if you can roll back easily. Let us know how it goes.

15 minutes ago, mifronte said:

Would there be an issue if I rename the container name?  I believe I will need it to match my current SSL certificate.

Its unclear to me why you dont just make a new self signed certificate. Isnt that the entire point of it - that its free and a new one can be generated anytime?

In terms of your proposed change I cant tell you what will happen. The container is new and in beta so you would have to test it and post back what happens. 

Its just unclear to me why you are making your life harder than it has to be. Regenerating a self signed cert is pretty normal and most times an appropriate method to use. Reusing an old self signed certificate isnt the norm. 

Edited by PeteAsking

I have installed this now - same version 7.5.187 (with -unraid added of course), and configured the same (custom:eth0--LAN and hardcoded IP address).

I noticed the restore did not restart the container as I had to do that manually.

One thing I had on the previous container is the timezone added to the docker container like this :

image.thumb.png.b5b05ff4e44e2e9116bc4351a050759c.png

Will this be supported on your new container ?   Is it added in the same way ?

12 hours ago, vw-kombi said:

I noticed the restore did not restart the container as I had to do that manually.

This is/was already noted on page 1.

12 hours ago, vw-kombi said:

One thing I had on the previous container is the timezone added to the docker container like this :

image.thumb.png.b5b05ff4e44e2e9116bc4351a050759c.png

Will this be supported on your new container ?   Is it added in the same way ?

No you set it in the web interface under settings, system, timezone.

Edited by PeteAsking

Appreciate the effort in putting this together. Spent an evening trying to migrate to the 2-docker linuxserver version and gave up. This was really straightforward.

Used 8.0.24 (11notes/unifi:8.0.24-unraid) since that's what I was previously on and what the backup was built with.

Only (known) issue I ran into was on Restore which appeared to hang. Restarted the container, logged in and everything looks great. 

Edited by kahunamike
  • Like 1

Hey All,

I am kind of new to Unraid and saw that this Docker was available.  I am so excited that this worked flawlessly from my backup.  Thank you for building this for us!

I am having one problem.  Under my devices, my switch and AP can be seen and updated.  But my USG always shows offline.  Everything is working, internet is up.  Is there something I am missing?

Untitled.jpg