New Unraid OS License Pricing, Timeline, and FAQs

4 hours ago, BRiT said:

Have you seen the unraid roadmap? If so could you share it with the rest of us? I'm sure we'd love to have a look at what future unraid versions will provide.

Thanks!

There wont be one, at least not one with dates on it and as someone else said ether in this thread or another just recently, with good reason. If there was a time-frame for stuff, people would complain just as much if the dates was not correct.

But here is what we know so far at least:

-ZFS part2
-Will be the last version of Unraid 6

7.x
-ZFS expand zpool
-Multiply Unraid-Arrays
-Everything will be a pool, multiply unraid-pools, zfs-pools, btrfs-pools
-Mover updated so you can use mover from pool to pool
-Requirement for Unraid-array to start, lifted
-VM Snapshot and VM cloning
-WebGUI seach, with multilingual support
-IntelARC support

Future ideas:
-Hardware database: will my hardware work with Unraid? Database with users config, if they work or what you need to do for it to work. Users can choose to upload their setup anonymously

-My Friends Network: expanding of UnraidConnect. Backup files encrypted/unencrypted to other Unraid servers
-Responsive webgui
-UnraidAPI

• Upvote 4
5 hours ago, isvein said:

There wont be one, at least not one with dates on it and as someone else said ether in this thread or another just recently, with good reason. If there was a time-frame for stuff, people would complain just as much if the dates was not correct.

But here is what we know so far at least:

-ZFS part2
-Will be the last version of Unraid 6

7.x
-ZFS expand zpool
-Multiply Unraid-Arrays
-Everything will be a pool, multiply unraid-pools, zfs-pools, btrfs-pools
-Mover updated so you can use mover from pool to pool
-Requirement for Unraid-array to start, lifted
-VM Snapshot and VM cloning
-WebGUI seach, with multilingual support
-IntelARC support

Future ideas:
-Hardware database: will my hardware work with Unraid? Database with users config, if they work or what you need to do for it to work. Users can choose to upload their setup anonymously

-My Friends Network: expanding of UnraidConnect. Backup files encrypted/unencrypted to other Unraid servers
-Responsive webgui
-UnraidAPI

I agree that a roadmap with dates is impossible to adhere to. I don't know where you got this info but it would help if this was posted officially, maybe in a forum post here?

i see nothing in there to improve the basic parity, improve speed of shfs, add checksums etc. Very disappointing. Its all zfs mostly.

7 hours ago, MrCrispy said:

I agree that a roadmap with dates is impossible to adhere to. I don't know where you got this info but it would help if this was posted officially, maybe in a forum post here?

i see nothing in there to improve the basic parity, improve speed of shfs, add checksums etc. Very disappointing. Its all zfs mostly.

Everything is taken from the podcast that everyone should watch

I also think this is a nice way to tell about future things and "roadmap"
I think people would be happy with an "oh, for this version we plan this, for this version we plan this, but we cant set a date and time for it"

• Like 1
8 hours ago, isvein said:

I think people would be happy with an "oh, for this version we plan this, for this version we plan this, but we cant set a date and time for it"

I agree,

If you haven't seen it already, you should probably watch it as it covers many topics including; the reasons behind the recent changes, as well as their plans/goals for the next couple versions of Unraid. It may help clear things up a bit more, instead of trying to piece things together by reading bit's and pieces from threads/forums.

Edited by Spec7re
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, isvein said:

oh, I did see that, I remember them talking about some features but I guess I forgot they were specific with version numbers etc too. 

time to watch again :)

Edited by MrCrispy

Hi all,

I have a expired trial on my server (Version 6.12.6) so I purchased the Starter Package, but I can't activate it because the Version 6.12.8 is needed. I can't update the server because the trial is expired and can't be extended (Error: {"error":"The maximum trial period has expired, please consider purchasing a license"})

"Unraid OS Out of Date

Legacy versions of Unraid only support activation code redemptions for Basic, Plus, and Pro.

To redeem or purchase Starter, Unleashed or Lifetime licenses, please upgrade to at least Unraid 6.12.8 or later via Tools > Update OS in the Unraid webgui."

Any idea how solve my issu without reinstalling the whole server? 🙂

• Confused 1
11 minutes ago, sunshineee said:

I have a expired trial on my server (Version 6.12.6) so I purchased the Starter Package, but I can't activate

Contact support using the linked form and they can extend the trial for you, alternatively you can manually update to v6.12 9 and activate the key.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You can still do that, the price has just gone up a bit.

Sadly not for $19 anymore. It's now at $69. Which may no be that cost efficient for me as I can only fit 3 more drives in my NAS.

46 minutes ago, Nanuk_ said:

I was referring to the I believe was a promo that I missed out on.

Plus to Unleashed is still there at $19, but that means switching to the renewal fee system and thus forfeiting your lifetime upgrades, the $49-now-$69 upgrade to Pro keeps them

Edited by Kilrah
17 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Plus to Unleashed is still there at $19, but that means switching to the renewal fee system and thus forfeiting your lifetime upgrades, the $49-now-$69 upgrade to Pro keeps them

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up! That really helps! Thanks chief!

12 minutes ago, _0m0t3ur said:

switching will cost you more over time.

True, but it defers the cost which may matter for some people, particularily if they are not treating it as expected to be a multi-year buy.

• Upvote 1
On 2024/3/22 at AM12点57分, SpencerJ said:

Price is different.
Accounting, analytics, a firm delineation of past and future to name a few. 

There are some generalisations in what you say. Can you explain in more detail the difference between the Pro version and the Lifetime version? Because it seems to me that the Pro version does not have the option to upgrade to Lifetime. Also, the Plus version can be upgraded to Pro, but not to Lifetime. thanks.

Edited by Murmansk5000
1 hour ago, Murmansk5000 said:

There are some generalisations in what you say. Can you explain in more detail the difference between the Pro version and the Lifetime version? Because it seems to me that the Pro version does not have the option to upgrade to Lifetime. Also, the Plus version can be upgraded to Pro, but not to Lifetime. thanks.

Pro is the same as lifetime, but on the old license model.

• SpencerJ unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Will there be a (heavily) discounted price for users who already have a pro license and want to buy a second 'lifetime' license? I'm currently building a second server from secondhand/used ebay parts and just got the shock of my life when I found out about the new pricing model about an hour ago. $249 for a lifetime license?! That's almost as expensive as my soon to be second server. I would happily pay $129 for the 'old' pro license but $249?

As for the Unleashed version, I could pay $89 to have I for one year and keep it at that version until I feel the need to have a $36 paid upgrade but I truly resent paid subscriptions (hence why I'm into self-hosting in the first place).

3 hours ago, Zero Cool said:

Will there be a (heavily) discounted price for users who already have a pro license and want to buy a second 'lifetime' license?

That ship has sailed.  The time to buy the old basic, plus or pro lifetime licenses at previous prices was before the pricing change at the end of March.  Limetech offered a grace period for purchasing new licenses or upgrades at the prior prices but that ended when the new pricing went into effect officially. 

Limetech has mentioned they usually offer sales sometime in the Summer and for Black Friday but I doubt the lifetime license will be discounted to the prior pricing levels.

Certainly Limetech could respond differently, but, that is how I understand things.

Hey! I had no idea this change happened but I am really grateful you grandfathered in legacy users.

I have only pretty humble needs for my devic (electricity also costs the earth already in my country).

My two questions (sorry if already answered).

1. Can I upgrade my basic to whatever the highest possible legacy license was, without losing updates?

2. Will there ever be different updates for both legacy license holders and these new license holders? That is, will I miss out on some kind of updates in the future as a legacy user?

Thanks! Been with you guys for 6 years and you've probably saved me a small fortune in headache, painkillers and lower cortisol levels. I'd upgrade to the max legacy license just to help support you guys even though I don't need the device limit. Just because I also know that you gotta keep your own lights on.