Unraid Future Feature Desires Poll

Unraid Future Feature Desires Poll  

255 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Schwiing said:

Bigger Array? Would be nice to have more than 30 drives (if that means 3 parity drives, that's reasonable)

They would have to remath the entire parity calculations, but yes, I would love 60 drive array with up top 4 parity (one per drive bank in my storinators or EMC disk shelf)

5 hours ago, Revan335 said:

All Points without Multiple Arrays. Multiple Arrays? Was this not a Unraid 7 Feature?🤔

Yes...it was mentioned...it will be an Unraid 7 timeline feature...not sure if Tom meant right at 7.0.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd also like to see multi arrays with a maximum level of 2 parities (to not further complicate matters).

Alternatively, the possibility to create array-style pools (not backed by parity just yet) just for pooling of data, e.g. 20 HDDs w/ XFS.

• Upvote 1

I would love to see improvements in the UI and the tech stack behind it. 

Unraids front face is the UI and yet it is lacking in so many points.

I can‘t say that I know if PHP is still relevant these days, as pure backend developer I don‘t have much contact with the front end, but there have to be more modern, simple and easier extendable UI frameworks in the wild? Maybe even use the new API server to split backend and frontend?

Lastly, what about different compose manager? I don‘t talk about the engine, but the composer. I think a lot if people would be more happy (I know I would), if we could choose between unraid templates, docker-compose and docker compose. 

10 hours ago, greenflash24 said:

Definitely native zfs encryption support, so I can migrate my encrypted zfs pools from truenas to unraid.

Isn’t native zfs encryption abandoned and by extension considered insecure now? Last I recall there was basically no development team left on that facet of zfs. 

Essentially,  I would want a little more known info and fluidity between the UnRaid Dev and its client base/users on things being worked on and patched...

(Where's the white paper?)

Like the direction of going one way vs the other. Similar to what happened with the docker maclvan trace bug...

Mainly meant for CVE/Security update and mitigation checks...

atm I have 3 application/links/etc I use to check on unraid including this forum.

1 tool such as lynis:
A security audit tool mentioned in nerdtools:

2. Mitigation Plugin to make sure system is not vulnerable to spectra/meltdown and confirm if a mitigation is in place...

image.thumb.png.790d298367c4aeff40476d5a4c9620ee.png

3. https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-27/product_id-41/Slackware-Slackware-Linux.html
With paid support per year. I think we would need a better way to know if things are implemented or to self mitigate/patch form with in OS.

Since this runs Slackware linux either this form (similar to security/bug topics) or a plugin or web GUI to go over current known CVE and mitigation with UnRaid.

The Unraid OS system itself should have a way to self check and scan and confirm mitigations.

This could be a separate plugin or built into another plugin such as fix common problems...

Edited by bmartino1
spelling
  • Upvote 3

Native docker compose integration would be neat. Docker containers often have dependencies on each other. And while the start order helps a lot, for things like updating containers you still need to manually spin down the dependants first.

• Upvote 3

Now that ZFS support is wrapping up I would love to see some focus return to the star feature of UNRAID, the unRAID array. 

First and foremost I would like to see formalization of the array as just a type of pool concept, both in documentation and nomenclature in the GUI. Having to explain the difference between the array and other pool types gets old after a while. 

It would also be cool to see the unRAID type pool be augmented with some more advanced features. It would be really nice to be able to replace or re-add a failed device (or expand the pool) without having to take it offline (hardware permitting of course). 

Adding an option for a read cache would be really cool, either a write-through block cache or some way to intelligently promote files to some sort of read-only overlayfs.

My biggest wish would be to see some attention given to the file integrity properties of the unRAID type pool. Things like ensuring that fs read errors are properly propagated through fuse layers and samba (pretty sure there was an issue raised about this at some point).

The biggest longshot, but coolest feature would be to see the BTRFS check summing feature (and ZFS I guess) integrated with parity checking similar to what Synology hybrid raid achieves. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8
On 7/9/2024 at 6:19 PM, SpencerJ said:

What feature do you want the most in upcoming Unraid releases?

X670-E temp sensor supports please, please, please. I\we will be eternally grateful. Thank you I'm advance.

- I think work on the unraid API and then rejig the web GUI into the future. 

Within that some more features like a quick integration to do a pie chart of disc space to see what's actually taking up space.

Make it snazzy, feel like an OS in a browser. animations rounded corners, pop ups, all the cool stuff. but also functional.

- Then also multiple unraid arrays as we have pools ETC. Be nice to be able to have a 2nd unraid array plex stack if you happen to pick up  a x30disk external case etc.

Edited by dopeytree
  • Like 1

I’d love to see improved SMB performance with MacOS clients. As far as I’m aware this isn’t an issue with (most) other systems hosting SMB shares, but for UnRaid, performance is absolutely terrible unless you go and make a dozen tweaks to files buried both on the client and server, but even then performance is lackluster.

Additionally, I’m not sure if this is already in the pipeline (or even beta) or not, but native ZFS snapshot support with scheduling for snapshots and retention limits.

One other feature I’d like to see could be implemented a few different ways, but at a high level, ways to modify pools/arrays without taking the whole system offline. E.g. being able to ‘queue’ changes to these which will then be automatically applied once the array stops, as well as the ability to stop individual pools/arrays without affecting the whole system. One caveat with this is it would also need to check for docker containers and vms which utilize that pool/array and either stop them first or require the user to stop them manually.
Related to this is also the ability to add new pools without stopping the array.

Edited by keneko
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Please Re/add, the Option to Deactivated the Autostart from Docker Containers after Creation or Recreation after Updated the Template. This was an Option in Unraid Pre 6.10 for example 6.9. In 6.10+ no Option for this and Autostart is the Default.

• Like 1
On 7/10/2024 at 9:26 AM, Bastian said:

simple and easier extendable UI frameworks

You want something simpler than PHP to write in? Anything easier would have to be AI doing all the work. PHP is like taking the easy part of every language out there and blending it together to make it all even easier. It's like barely more difficult than chicken-scratch pseudo-code.

On 7/12/2024 at 1:16 AM, keneko said:

I’d love to see improved SMB performance with MacOS clients

If you can get your share to EXCLUSIVE, then it's already there. As long as SMB isn't going through FUSE, I max out my 1GbE network. We'll see how it does on 10GbE within the next few weeks.

I have all my shares as Exclusive now (all on ZFS pool) so I finally switched back to SMB from NFS which I'd been using for the past 4 years from my Macs.

Edited by Espressomatic
  • Like 1