Pimp Your Rig

No more pics of recent unRaid set ups?  What's going on?

Since the introduction of the UCD subforum, we have been inviting people to create their own thread for each server.  This allows for much easier discussion and feedback on builds.  See here for more details.

Thanks for letting me know.  I will create my own post.

• 4 months later...

Home/Car/Mobile media server

• i5 2300
  • Asus P8H67-I
  • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600CL9
  • 5x Seagate 5900.12 2TB
  • Samsung 830 128GB as cache/app drive
  • case Lian Li PC-Q25B
  • PSU FSP300-60GHS
  • Sil3132 2x SATA controller
  • Patriot 8GB

DSC_0121.JPGDSC_0126.JPGDSC_0128.JPG

DSC_0129.JPGDSC_0132.JPGDSC_0134.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

Last checked on Sunday, 2012 July 22, 14:39 (today), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 5 hours, 49 minutes, 9 seconds. Average speed: 95,5 MB/sec

edit:

I've change Asus P8H67-I to P8H77-I and 4 disks to 3TB Seagate.

Last checked on Thu Nov 1 07:49:57 2012 CET (today), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 7 hours, 49 minutes, 56 seconds. Average speed: 106,4 MB/sec

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone! Recently joined this forum after trying out the free version of unRAID 4.7. I was suggested by a friend to try unRAID for a solution for protected storage after my current "file server" setup (HTPC with a couple of hard drives in it running windows 7 and network shared) had all the hard drive SMART error out on me, especially one 2TB WD Green that failed on me.

So I went down to my computer graveyard/new parts stash to pick out some parts to start the build. Only money I spent went to the local computer store to buy 3x 2TB WD Reds and a unRAID pro key.

Another Antec 300 build ;)

Antec 300 (Brand new, bought during a sale a year ago for $10 :P )

Corsair CX430 v2

Asus P5N73-AM

Pentium 4 HT 640 @ 3.2Ghz

1.5gb of DDR2 677mhz Kingston ram (1gb stick + 512mb)

TP-Link TG-3269 Gigabit NIC (R8169)

3x 2TB Western Digital Red (1 Parity, 2 data)

320GB Western Digital Caviar Blue (Cache)

BTW, I used up all my sata ports... any recommendations for pci/pci-e 4 port sata cards? Thanks

DSC_9894copycopy.jpg

Drilled a couple of holes for cable management

DSC_9899.jpg

DSC_9914.jpg

DSC_9918.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice pics I also have the 300 and I like your cable management mod :-). As far as card for additional sata ports I too ran out and went with a ibm m1015 which gives me the 4 additional ports I wanted plus I can then rip the card and use in my next build making use of all 8 ports :-) great card very fast and 3TB > support highly recommend.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 5 months later...

that's great for us noobs with 2 servers (I did buy the 2nd pro as a back up)

but the 1st (mostly 8x1.5tb 3x2tb) gave me a few issues quite a while back, now 2 has (15-18 2tb hdd) is bigger.

5rc16c each 4gb ram a supermicro 8way card, 1st thermalake m9 (2x5 vert homemade hdd holder with fans at front into 5 bays & a 4:3 coolermaster with 4 hdd),

2nd modified duplicator 13 way case

4x4:3 cooler master 12 hdd up the top with 700w tr2 p/s & 6hdd in 2x4:3 coolermaster in the bottom 7 bays.

case modiied as it had no m/b tray extends out the rear by nearly 60mm.

both on wooden trolley with 50mm castors 2 fixed & 2 flexible.

steve

stower02.jpg.0d3b2b90fb2724c7a4c613abe8d92423.jpg

Hi unraider!

My project:

Chassis: Sharkoon Rebel 12

Drive Cages: 3 x SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1 (with new scythe fans) + Icy Dock MB153SP-B

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M + 4GB RAM

CPU: Intel i5

Controllers: 2 x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Hard Drives: 24 x Western Digital WD30EZRX 3TB

USB: 8Gb Asagiri v5.0-rc16c3

PSU: Corsair TX650

APC Back-UPS ES 550

Many greetings from Germany  :)

1k5ual.jpg 25tl01.jpg 37yldf.jpg 42jas6.jpg

My next project is to build a custom drive cage to fit inside the upper (normal drive) area.  I'll bet I can get 9 or 10 drives in there, whereas there are only 5 at the moment.  There is also room above the PSU for probably 6 or so drives.  If Tom allows for more expandability, and I need the space, this case can likely get close to 30 drives inside.

hey see my rig near the bottom done that

• 4 weeks later...

So, i needed more space in my server...plus with a non-modular power supply and nothing even close to hot swap bays, putting in hard drives was a huge pain.

IMG_1297.JPG

So i decided to get a Norco 4224. In order to save some money, I didn't buy the SAS expander card, figuring that a M1015 plus two reverse breakout cables would last me for 16 drives total.

However, I didn't anticipate that the reverse breakout cables wouldn't reach the last 2 sata connectors on my motherboard.

IMG_1299.JPG

Given that it's movie night (yeah, a bad time to do server upgrades) I was in a panic and about to post here, on CL, run to microcenter, and call the local system builders etc looking for sata extension cables and probably paying a premium to get them immediately rather than ordering the $0.79 cables from monoprice.

Then I had a flash of insight...there's no reason the last 2 drives need to be in the case....

Cue my ghetto 4224 with a nice hood ornament. xD

IMG_1302.JPG

Edit: Well, my SAS cables from monoprice came in earlier than expected so now I'm running 6 drives off the mobo and 2 off the m1015 and was able to close the case. I'll hook the rest up right when the other 2 cables come in.

/running parity checks now

IMG_1306.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all,

First time unRAID user here.

I have just come onboard and am liking it so far.

I'm currently in the process of migrating away from this:

avq51t.jpg

To this:

2hej20z.jpg

dgjya8.jpg

With future plans of purchasing the Norco 4224 Case. (I already grabbed the Pro licence in anticipation).

The plan is to firstly migrate my Synology DS1010 (disks 5x2TB - [Raid 5] + 4x3TB - [uSB]), into a 8x3TB [unRAID].

Specs of ESXi 5.5 box are:

Intel i7 920, 12GB DDR3, 120GB SSD, 1500GB HDD, 2x NIC

- ClearOS - Gateway (DHCP, DNS, RADIUS, Proxy, Firewall)

- CentOS - XBMC MySQL

- Windows 7 - XBMC Master

- Windows 7 - Usenet

- unRAID - Storage (Passed through IBM M1115 flashed as an LSI 9211-8i)

This setup enables me to add another M1115 once the first 8 disks are full, at that point i plan to also purchase the Norco case, then eventually another M1115 as i collect more drives.

What drew me to unRAID was the ability to add drives as i go, and to use smaller drives that i just had lying around whilst i slowly migrate my data.

So far i have migrated a 3TB across to a 2 and 1 TB, then i added that 3TB to the array, now im migrating another 3TB onto the array, which i then will add, and so on. The data i'm moving isn't super critical so i have not added a parity drive just yet. I still need to purchase 4x 3TB.

As it stands it probably will be complete in about a week.

UPDATE:

Finally finished migrating 16+ TB of data.

Had the ESXi boot SSD (OCZ Vertex 4 120GB) fail during the migration, which was less than ideal.

It has now been replaced with a Intel 530 120GB SSD, so hopefully it lasts a bit longer.

As it sits unRAID has 5x 3TB, 1x 2TB, 1x1TB Western Digital Green and 1x 3TB Seagate (Parity) drives.

Plus the 120GB Intel 530 SSD and 1.5TB Western Digital Green drives for ESXi

I have remade my SATA power connectors and purchased longer SAS8087 - 4xSATA cables.

10fs12x.jpg

• 1 year later...

My backup UnRAID server is finally on it's way.  Will update with actual pics when everything arrives this week/weekend but for now I'll post a pic of the case I'm using and my build list :D.

Components:

SuperMicro A1SAi-2550F Mini-ITX board / Quad-core Avaton CPU SoC

4GB DDR3-1600 ECC RAM

6 x 3TB WD Reds (same as main UnRAID server)

Seasonic 350w 1U PSU

U-NAS NSC-800 Mini-ITX case

front_small_zpsqvbzwm68.jpg

9TB Array in 2008!

BTW - those 1T drives are still in service (in my backup array)!

My server is a P5B VM D0 MB, E2140 CPU with Zalman cooler, 2G GSkill Memory, 550 Watt "Mag Dog" (old Compusa brand) PSU (likely the weak link, but working fine running 15 drives!), Adaptec RAID 1430SA PCI-E 4 port SATA card, and Supermicro 8 port PCI SATA Card.

Very much different from WeeboTech's supercool mini project, this is a hulking beast of a server at 27" tall and weighing close to 50 lbs I'd guess.

Drives:

4x 1T (1 is parity)

5x 750G

4x 500G

2x 300G IDE (1 is cache)

Total Usable (Rated) Space:  9.05T + 300G cache (not including parity)

Case is an old SuperMicro SC750A.  I've gone at it with a dremel numerous times as you'll see.

From the front and rear.  The cable is an eSata to Sata cable running to an internal drive.  My best dremel job on that upper 120mm fan.  Looks stock.

IMG_4322.jpg  IMG_4327.jpg

Front cover removed - Notice dremmeling for lower fans (case was made for 3x80mm fans down there) and 2 fans attached to the hard disk cooler frontplates.  There is another fan above the 2 lower ones (mounted inside).

IMG_4323.jpg  IMG_4326.jpg

In order to mount all my drives I designed and built a custom 10 drive cage using aluminum strips and right angle pieces.  Here are pictures while it was under construction and mounted inside the case.  This case is cavernous inside providing lots of room for this.

IMG_4275.jpg  IMG_4324.jpg

Closer look at the drive cage - if you look closely you'll see the edges of the three fans on the right.  The zipties make it easier to remove the cage when needed.

IMG_4325.jpg

My next project is to build a custom drive cage to fit inside the upper (normal drive) area.  I'll bet I can get 9 or 10 drives in there, whereas there are only 5 at the moment.  There is also room above the PSU for probably 6 or so drives.  If Tom allows for more expandability, and I need the space, this case can likely get close to 30 drives inside.

• 3 months later...

Well, finally switched over to the Norco 4244 server case. Pretty slick and this will last me a long time, and I'm done with cases. The only thing about the Norco case is those two 80mm fans in the back. Those two little fans are louder then all the other fans put together, so I'll have to figure something out. I'm very surprised how quiet it is and how cool it runs. I snapped a quick picture, will have more.

norco4224.jpg

My backup UnRAID server is finally on it's way.  Will update with actual pics when everything arrives this week/weekend but for now I'll post a pic of the case I'm using and my build list :D.

Components:

SuperMicro A1SAi-2550F Mini-ITX board / Quad-core Avaton CPU SoC

4GB DDR3-1600 ECC RAM

6 x 3TB WD Reds (same as main UnRAID server)

Seasonic 350w 1U PSU

U-NAS NSC-800 Mini-ITX case

front_small_zpsqvbzwm68.jpg

Any Feedback on the Avaton SoC and this Board? Setup is really nice!  Also, what do you use to backup your main Unraid to this unas Unraid?  Script? Plugin? Docker?

Threw in some other pictures. Noctua makes some very quiet 80mm fans, which I may replace the ones in the back but to be honest they aren't very loud. I do like the fact that each of them is 3000rpm and having two of them is pretty much pulling all the air out of the case. If I put a piece of paper on the front of the case it will stick there. Great air flow ans pressure in there. If you have a lot of drives and will continue to have lots of drives coming from a mid tower case I do recommend this beast. I had the room and available area, so I was good there.

Thanks for moving into the hardware area.

unRaid 4224 Server Build

unraidbuild1.jpg

unraidbuild2.jpg

unraidbuild3.jpg

unraidbuild4.jpg

unraidbuild5.jpg

unraidbuild6.jpg

unraidbuild7.jpg

unraidbuild8.jpg