Release Plan for 5.0

limetech

Ok guys, this is a thread for the Release Plan. Take the how many drives per version debate elsewhere please.

The question has been asked before and there wasn't such a....tempered response. Personally I think it'd be nice as well (only since the pro # has gone up), but I'm fine with the pay structure and disk count as it is too.

Rick.p, its not really paying $70 for one more drive, your getting user security (access restrictions) and the use of the cache drive. Whether or not you need those features, those are available and essentially what you are paying for. Plus, we need to support the developer :). That being said, I understand the position of limited funds, especially disability. I have a very close friend who I've known since I was ~4 who is disabled, it is very rough on him.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love unraid because i've had both motherboards and hard disks .. DIE on me ...

a disk failure is so common, yet not all storage solutions handle it that gracefully.

a motherboard failure ... now, that's a whole different beast ...

i'm proud to say that i went through one of those unscathed, with full support from unraid ...

lime-tech is temperamental, with a different view on things from what we're used to ... but, hey ... all i care for is for my data to be safe or easily recoverable

"... all i care for is for my data to be safe or easily recoverable ..."  ==>  I also want my data to be safe and easily recoverable.    I really like UnRAID for making it very unlikely I'll ever need to restore 24TB worth of data from backups ... but I DO have a complete set of backups.    A RAID system is NOT a backup -- the fault tolerance is nice in that it allows you to continue to access your data even if a disk fails ... but it does not eliminate the need to have your data backed up  :)

As with any other set of data, if there's anything you'd be upset at losing, be sure it's backed up.    Otherwise don't complain when the inevitable happens !!

How do you backup 24TB?

A second unRAID server...

Or be selective in what you back up, e.g. Photos, tax returns, documents, etc should be backed up to multiple sources, including ones kept at different sites. Unless your a photographer or graphics artist this probably won't reach 24TB.

DVDs, music etc can be reburrned if needed and don't really "need" to be "backed up".

...Or be selective in what you back up, e.g. Photos, tax returns, documents, etc should be backed up to multiple sources, including ones kept at different sites. Unless your a photographer or graphics artist this probably won't reach 24TB...

I have an external esata enclosure and rsync my critical data to a 1TB drive. I have 3 of these 1TB drives that I rotate monthly to 2 offsite locations. I'm not that paranoid but I had that many unused 1TB drives and the offsite locations are just my office and my wife's office, so it's not much trouble. Right now all my wife's photography, all our music, and all our documents including financials will fit in 1 TB but if my wife's photography gets too large the music will have to go.

...Or be selective in what you back up, e.g. Photos, tax returns, documents, etc should be backed up to multiple sources, including ones kept at different sites. Unless your a photographer or graphics artist this probably won't reach 24TB...

I have an external esata enclosure and rsync my critical data to a 1TB drive. I have 3 of these 1TB drives that I rotate monthly to 2 offsite locations. I'm not that paranoid but I had that many unused 1TB drives and the offsite locations are just my office and my wife's office, so it's not much trouble. Right now all my wife's photography, all our music, and all our documents including financials will fit in 1 TB but if my wife's photography get too large the music will have to go.

I'll bet that is better than 99.99% of people, including unRAID owners do.

(It has been a LONG time since a backup fit on a stack of floppy disks, isn't it.  The re-purposing of the older/smaller drives in external USB cases is a great way to put them to use.)

Joe L.

It has been a LONG time since a backup fit on a stack of floppy disks, isn't it.

Indeed!  More recently, I'd been backing up to DAT tape, but even that has meagre capacity and slow write speeds compared to today's multi-TB drives.

The re-purposing of the older/smaller drives in external USB cases is a great way to put them to use.

It is - and using a docking station, rather than a case, makes life even simpler.

Without a second unraid server though, how do you backup 24TB? (As Gary implied he wasn't using a RAID solution) Uploading that to any kind of cloud service would take crazy long (unless you started when it was a lot smaller).

Do you just have a bunch of hard drives with the files on?

Yes.  If you "really" need to backup the full 24TB without a second server your only "real" choice would be a big bunch of hard drives  (e.g. 6x4TB, 8x3TB, 12x2TB, ... )

Who remembers data centres with rows of 800bpi tape drives?  Watching the vacuum column take up slack and tension the tape was always an experience.  When the recording density was bumped to 1600bpi it came as a big relief .... and when 6250bpi arrived and we could store a whole 20MB on a single volume, it seemed like magic!

Is anyone old enough to remember back to pre-800bpi - 100, 200. 556?

Who remembers data centres with rows of 800bpi tape drives?  Watching the vacuum column take up slack and tension the tape was always an experience.  When the recording density was bumped to 1600bpi it came as a big relief .... and when 6250bpi arrived and we could store a whole 20MB on a single volume, it seemed like magic!

Is anyone old enough to remember back to pre-800bpi - 100, 200. 556?

OMG!!! That's when I first started to get into data processing.

I saw all those commercials for Control Data Institute on TV, then right as high school ended as a computer operator as my career and Control Data is who maintained our equipment.

We had these mohawk science machines that used to clickty clack and send the tapes as transmissions over modems.

I helped automate everything to transmission. It was so hard for us to get our customers off the tapes.

How do you backup 24TB?

There is a new service called bitcasa that claims to offer unlimited storage and client-side encryption for $70/year. There might be a catch and if they fail, which is probable since I cannot think of a viable unlimited storage business plan (although they use convergent encryption which probably saves lots of space), you lose your backup. but it seems interesting...

Okay Joe, I'll bite.    What was the one plugin written by Limetech??

Actually, the entire "webGui" is a pre-installed plugin.

I was referring to version 0.1 of YAMJ  (Yet Another Music Jukebox) you have on the downloads/utilities area on the lime-tech website, but thanks for the clarification.

Tom & Joe -- thanks for the info r.e. the Limetech plugin.

Off topic, but I'll toss in my nickel's worth, since the question r.e. "how to back up 24TB" was directed at me ...

Very simple.  I have a bunch of these storage boxes:  http://www.provantage.com/cru-dataport-3851-0000-11~7WIEB0RE.htm

... and a bunch of 1.5 - 3TB drives that I use for backups.

My UnRAID server basically stores 2 things:  My media collection, and backups of my computers.    My backup strategy is simple:

(1)  For media, I always copy new media to both UnRAID AND a backup drive [kept in an external drive caddy like this:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071 ].    When the backup drive gets full, I "print" (to a PDF file using CutePDF) the directory of the drive;  store it in a DriveBox; and put it in my waterproof/fireproof/data-certified safe.    Then I put a new drive in the caddy, and use it for the next set of backups.  So my media collection is always completely backed up.

(2)  For backups, I do it a bit differently.  Since these would be much easier to reconstruct [since they are, after all, backups of my computers -- so the data is not only on the UnRAID server, but also on the computer(s) that were backed up)],  I don't make "real time" backups of the data as it's copied to UnRAID.    The "Backups" share on UnRAID is dedicated to 3 3TB drives;  so I simply maintain 3 additional 3TB drives (stored in DriveBox containers, of course), and about once/quarter I'll pull these out of the safe and sync them with the 3 drives on UnRAID that hold the backup share.    If I need to add an additional drive to the backup share, I'll just buy a 2nd one to back it up on as well.

Expensive ??    I suppose that depends on your perspective.  Yes, I've spent at least a couple grand on backups [the safe, the storage boxes, and a dozen or so high-capacity drives] ... but I've spent a LOT more than that accumulating my media, and spending the time to rip it all; catalog it;  store it on UnRAID; and set up my TVs and computers to be able to play it all.    I would NOT want to EVER have to repeat the thousands of hours I've spent doing all that.    From that perspective, maintaining a solid set of backups is pretty cheap insurance.

Okay Joe, I'll bite.    What was the one plugin written by Limetech??

Actually, the entire "webGui" is a pre-installed plugin.

I was referring to version 0.1 of YAMJ  (Yet Another Music Jukebox) you have on the downloads/utilities area on the lime-tech website, but thanks for the clarification.

YAMJ provided by LimeTech is not a plugin.