unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc16c Available

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"A good plan implemented today is better than a perfect plan implemented tomorrow."

— George Patton

Warfare and redundant servers ... not exactly the same mission set.

No lives are at stake with unRAID. All the more reason to accept good enough for now with plans to improve in the future.

I would argue this principle is valid in many many aspects of life.

"A good plan implemented today is better than a perfect plan implemented tomorrow."

— George Patton

No lives are at stake with unRAID. All the more reason to accept good enough for now with plans to improve in the future.

The ramifications of inaction are still not the same unless there is a current bug putting us all at risk ;)

— George Patton

The ramifications of inaction are still not the same unless there is a current bug putting us all at risk ;)

The ramifications of SMB running a little slow for a few people are pretty minimal. Sometimes you just have to accept that it will never be perfect and move on. There is always one more bug or just one more feature.

Perhaps this proverb is more appropriate: Perfect is the enemy of good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good

Trying to search on those variables but having a difficult time. Any help to point us in the right direction?

I think he means the tunables in the gui under settings/disk settings.

Tunable (md_num_stripes):

Tunable (md_write_limit):

Tunable (md_sync_window):

The SMB slowness is a major issue in my opinion. NFS has been buggy before and SMB has always been reliable and fast as a fall back option. Now with SMB performance halving, that's unacceptable. I also want a 5 final, but it will never happen if we keep changing the kernel and moving goal posts.

The SMB slowness is a major issue in my opinion. NFS has been buggy before and SMB has always been reliable and fast as a fall back option. Now with SMB performance halving, that's unacceptable. I also want a 5 final, but it will never happen if we keep changing the kernel and moving goal posts.

I actually don't even see this listed in the "issues list" section of the forum. Has Tom acknowledged it? What work has been done to investigate it? Does it happen to everyone? Is it select hardware?

When these issues are worked on publicly, with Tom and the forum members who are effected, it seems that solutions are found much more quickly.

I see a lot of SMB slowness as well.  I don't know if it's a blocker, but for directories with more than 100 entires, it's pretty darn slow - taking several seconds to more than a minute to provide a listing.

By comparison NFS is very fast.

I see a lot of SMB slowness as well.  I don't know if it's a blocker, but for directories with more than 100 entires, it's pretty darn slow - taking several seconds to more than a minute to provide a listing.

By comparison NFS is very fast.

The only slowdown I can reproduce to list files is for folders with many and large files that haven't been accessed since system booted (i.e. fs not cached) but it is not SMB related at all, just fs thing... if I do an 'ls' on them right after system boot I can see same (and yes I know that there is some script/plugin that lists all files to avoid this, but I just don't feel the need for it until now). Other than that I can't really see any slowdown to list files over SMB even for folders with 1000 files I can open them "in a blink" over smb. Not something at client side (realtime antivirus or something similar)?

I was doing a quick test of samba performance from my W7 laptop.

Used a 1GB large file. all disk was spun up during this test and 1GB network on both server and laptop.

Copy file from W7 to disk share = about 20 to 25MB/s

Copy file from W7 to cache = about 35MB/s

W7: Copy file from cache or disk share  to W7 = 35MB/s

Sometimes the copy start very slow, from 1MB and go slowly up...

Previous this week I saw this transfer speed was much lower.

And I think I was up to 50 - 60 MB transfer speed from the server to W7 (laptop) on older RC releases.

EDIT

On my "Hackintosh" I copy a file using AFP from user share to my mac on about 100MB/s!!!! never seen this on my W7?!! see attcahed images

using samba I'm on same numbers that I haver on my W7, doing more test ...........

Using samba and copy a file from user share to my MAC it's going up and down 1MB/s to 32MB/s, see second attached image...

OSX (afp) to cache = 70MB/s

OSX (afp) to Disk share = peak 38MB/s

//Peter

Screen_Shot_2013-07-27_at_10_43.26_AM.png.503e13a0959ee68a9ad06498984833eb.png

Screen_Shot_2013-07-27_at_10_52.00_AM.png.5fa900113c7786d61f42a7a0a26be40b.png

AFP_to_cache.png.167a7082ede15aed2bd92e75a12a09d8.png

AFP_to_disk_share.png.e7b8ee873d9f5dfa040c8868cd7fa795.png

I remember in past RC's i just cant find we were installing samba pakage in the go script to over ride the one in unraid native becouse if some bug you could not deleat files.  I cant remember how this is done? But in http://www.samba.org/ they have a version 4.? How would you feel if we try some diffrent versions to nail down a fix for Tom? If this seems like a good idea i can do the reasearch on how to do this.

Thornwood

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

I remember in past RC's i just cant find we were installing samba pakage in the go script to over ride the one in unraid native becouse if some bug you could not deleat files.  I cant remember how this is done? But in http://www.samba.org/ they have a version 4.? How would you feel if we try some diffrent versions to nail down a fix for Tom? If this seems like a good idea i can do the reasearch on how to do this.

Thornwood

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

I was doing that previsly, see my post here -> http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16840.msg174243#msg174243

Please feel free to try

//Peter

The best I ever saw on my mombo is low 80's, and it was back on 4.7.  Even then, it dropped at some point, not sure why or when.  I was so new to unraid, I didn't really give it much attention.  With v5, I've always seen 50's and low 60's re SMB speeds going from my Win7 box to the cache drive over gb.

I also would like to know the best way to capture these speeds.  I use Total Commander and it shows the speed during the copy.

I guess my speeds are ok, for my setup.  I'd like to hear if others with my same setup are getting better speeds with SMB.