How many community plugins do you use with your unRAID array?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use like 10 of them, but now that I'm on 6.x and have a VM on top, I only use:

cache_dirs (self modified)

An Ubuntu VM un Xen.

What I really need is a way to promote more stability on the NFS between that Ubuntu VM and the host, but I've mostly solved that with cache_dirs. 

Stupid NFS.

Dynamix

Webgui

Active streams

Cache Dirs

Disk health

Email notify

System info

System stats

System temp

Plugin control

Unplugged

Sabnzbd

Sickbeard

Couchpotato

Headphones

Apcupsd

Powerdown

Screen

On V6 I have:

apcupsd (with powerdown package)

dovecot

mpop

fan_speed

tftp-hpa

and a simple little plugin to modify /etc/profile so that my ssh window title bar displays the machine name.

I am considering the possibility of moving my mail services, dovecot and mpop, to VM, but have fears of disruption and corruption resulting from stale file handles.  In the meanwhile, they are running very reliably as plugins, causing no problems at all.  nfs v4, or a mechanism to pass through a user share would resolve my concerns here.

Under v5 I had many more plugins and packages, mostly moved to VMs now:

LogitechMediaServer, MySQL, Transmission, CouchPotato,  dnsmasq etc.

Dynamix

Webgui

Active streams

Disk health

Email notify

System info

System stats

System temp

Plugin control

Scheduled parity checks

Unplugged

Sickbeard

Couchpotato

Headphones

Transmission

Lazy librarian

Apcupsd

Powerdown

Plex

Plex updater

Deluge

uTorrent

Dropbox

SNAP

BTSync

Proftp

And a few others....but basically the plugin forum and contribution by members is truly remarkable and undervalued in my opinion. This is what turns a NAS with countless competition into truly only one option when it's potential is utilised. I have probably tested and used 90% of the plugins this community has created over the years! but this is what's currently on my main server.

Hence why it's so important to sort out your framework and standardisation, so that this can continue to flourish.

The average user doesn't want VMs, they want to be able to view a list of plugins within the webgui and click to install. All the other big players do it, and once the core is in place, the community can take over.

The average power user, which there are much less of, the VMs are a great idea, and am glad to see the company moving forward.

Power in simplicity is key...