[Support] binhex - Krusader

I agree with you, feature creep has always been a problem-- particularly with plugins.  (I am not as familiar with Dockers.)  That is why I made my suggestion with the 'rolled  eyes' emoji.  While it might be 'nice' to have VLC as a viewer in Krusader, it is not really that necessary (at least, for me).  (I can always use Windows Explorer to do that type of browsing but from a different platform.)  After VLC, there would be a request for a compressed file manager, then a viewer for PDF files, an editor for configuration files, ect...

8 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

an editor for configuration files

Krusader has an integrated text file viewer and editor, which is very handy. This is the feature that made me state my question in the first place. VLC would definitely be too much, but simple document viewers are very useful when managing files. (I also installed mediainfo-gui into the container). Why not do all this natively with mounted network shares you ask? My Wifi sucks and when I'm on my laptop it's way smoother to use the containers in the browser than the native file manager.

Edited by riegel7

And may I take this opportunity to, once again, say how absolutely essential Krusader has become to my workflow with unRAID...what originally required the hassle of installing and configuring an entire Windows VM, just to have a way of managing files locally, is now as easy as starting up Krusader. I particularly like the subtle but noticeable improvements that you have done to the UI, which - in the older Docker - caused continued annoyances (like losing the Queue window), and many of the other little things you did...I *love* Krusader, and can't live without it anymore...so much so that I just donated another couple o'pints at the pub, or whatever else you do, to you. Thank you, binhex, for all you do for us!

And may I take this opportunity to, once again, say how absolutely essential Krusader has become to my workflow with unRAID...what originally required the hassle of installing and configuring an entire Windows VM, just to have a way of managing files locally, is now as easy as starting up Krusader. I particularly like the subtle but noticeable improvements that you have done to the UI, which - in the older Docker - caused continued annoyances (like losing the Queue window), and many of the other little things you did...I *love* Krusader, and can't live without it anymore...so much so that I just donated another couple o'pints at the pub, or whatever else you do, to you. Thank you, binhex, for all you do for us!
Its nice to hear my work is appreciated, thanks for the donation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

New Topic.

I was copying a disc through krusader and closed the web interface and I thought that the copying would continue in the server on its own.  When i reopened unraid and restarted krusader the progress box was not there. Is it still copying in the background or did it stop? How can I tell? And if it did stop does that mean that I have to keep the computer and the web interface open during the whole copy?
Thanks very much

Jon

the disappearing Copy (or Queue) windows was a big issue for many of us users in the pre-binhex version of Krusader, but binhex had the vision of doing a number of improvements, amongst them a little bar along the bottom that shows little thumbnail icons for the Krusader main window, the Queue window, and - if you use the tools in the tools menu - the resulting windows of something like a folder-sizes scan, so that even if you lose focus and cover your Queue window with you main Krusader window, you can pop up the Queue window again by clicking on its icon.

To answer your question, Krusader should continue to copy in the background, and you would not have to keep the WebGUI open on your computer for it to do so...it's essentially issuing terminal commands to unRAID, like a form of rsync, if I understood it correctly, which run on unRAID until they are either completed or unRAID is rebooted/shut-down.

How to get your Queue (or Copy) window back between Krusader sessions, I am not sure...not in front of a computer right now that can access my unRAID system, to check.

As a word of advice (from my own experience), I never use just Copy, but always Add to Queue (with the "Keep window open after completion" option checked), even if it's the only thing I am doing, bc the Queue window is easy to get back.

I love the binhex Krusader Docker, and couldn't live my unRAID life without it, at this point...the many subtle improvements he has made to the original Krusader are brilliant and beautiful. 

Edited by tillkrueger
Syntax corrections

Hey Guys,

maybe u can help me, i deleted some files with Krusader about 40gb they were moved in the "trash" i emptied it and yet i did not gain my 40gb back on the array, restarted array and server and no change... :o

any idea whats going on ?_? i am kinda lost

/edit

soo in my array it says one one of my hdds 577 used but when i ran df -h it shows that the hdd in questions used 537G .... HM

Edited by aisbaer
additional information

Hello Everyone,

I seem to be unable to load Krusader in Root Mode using the GUI. I have searched over this forum and others but can't seem to find the answer to this. I am sure there is a simple explanation; can someone please advise. Docker is running as PUID 99 / PGID 100. Please see the error below:

image.png.b3c0d3f934251329f57f54a2bc648cba.png

Thanks,

Enver

Edited by Enver

maybe I'm just reachin', here, but I had a number of weird issues pertaining to permissions, in Krusader, a few weeks back, and one board member suggested that I do the "Docker Safe Fix Permission" operation in tools, which actually fixed my woes.

your issue may very well be an entirely different one, but if all else fails, it won't cost you anything to try that, other than a little time, depending on the size of your array.

19 hours ago, tillkrueger said:

maybe I'm just reachin', here, but I had a number of weird issues pertaining to permissions, in Krusader, a few weeks back, and one board member suggested that I do the "Docker Safe Fix Permission" operation in tools, which actually fixed my woes.

your issue may very well be an entirely different one, but if all else fails, it won't cost you anything to try that, other than a little time, depending on the size of your array.

Appreciate the advice but in my instance this isn't a contributing factor. I ran permissions the "Docker Safe Fix Permission" operation in tools with no change.

To put it into context I have reinstalled Krusader a number of times over the years......different versions of Krusader and unRAID; also deleted the Krusader folder under appdata to be sure and I have never been able to get this feature to work. Is there any prerequisite binaries that is required? I read on another forum that I need the kdesu binary installed?

22 minutes ago, Enver said:

and I have never been able to get this feature to work

if you want to run krusader as root then change PUID and PGID to 0, you will then see krusader window title will say "ROOT PRIVILEGES", obviously anything you do will be as root user and thus writing files as root will mean you cant access them if you are using user nobody for normal access to shares. 

in short the feature you are trying to use DOES work but only in a normal linux environment, where switching users is expected, this is docker, its not the same.

1 minute ago, binhex said:

if you want to run krusader as root then change PUID and PGID to 0, you will then see krusader window title will say "ROOT PRIVILEGES", obviously anything you do will be as root user and thus writing files as root will mean you cant access them if you are using user nobody for normal access to shares. 

in short the feature you are trying to use DOES work but only in a normal linux environment, where switching users is expected, this is docker, its not the same.

@binhex Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was hoping to elevate privileges when required; I am supposing that isn't possible through the docker container? What about adding 'nobody' user to the Wheel Group and un-commenting the "%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL" line using visudo?

Is the 'nobody' user group completely isolated from the host or is there a way to do what I am suggesting?

11 minutes ago, Enver said:

@binhex Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was hoping to elevate privileges when required; I am supposing that isn't possible through the docker container? What about adding 'nobody' user to the Wheel Group and un-commenting the "%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL" line using visudo?

Is the 'nobody' user group completely isolated from the host or is there a way to do what I am suggesting?

ok so it is possible but there is a couple of hoops to jump through, you first need to set the root password, you can do this via docker exec:-

docker exec -it <name of container> bash
passwd <the password you want to set for root>

once set give 'root mode' another whirl, when prompted enter in the password you set above, you will get prompted as if its a new setup, after that you will see the ROOT PRIVILEGED window pop up.

18 minutes ago, binhex said:

ok so it is possible but there is a couple of hoops to jump through, you first need to set the root password, you can do this via docker exec:-

docker exec -it <name of container> bash
passwd <the password you want to set for root>

once set give 'root mode' another whirl, when prompted enter in the password you set above, you will get prompted as if its a new setup, after that you will see the ROOT PRIVILEGED window pop up.

Brilliant that worked! Thanks so much. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I added the [Locale] section to the kdeglobals config file, as per the instructions in one of the links that came up in the Google Search you so amusingly linked to, binhex, but can you or someone explain to me how I get the US date format, which is mm/dd/yyyy, or even better yet yyyy/mm/dd? I tried changing DateFormatShort=%d %b/%y to DateFormatShort=%b %d/%y, but that didn't do anything for me after restarting Krusader. What is the correct syntax for yyyy/mm/dd ?

and is Country=us correct for USA?

37 minutes ago, tillkrueger said:

I added the [Locale] section to the kdeglobals config file, as per the instructions in one of the links that came up in the Google Search you so amusingly linked to, binhex, but can you or someone explain to me how I get the US date format, which is mm/dd/yyyy, or even better yet yyyy/mm/dd? I tried changing DateFormatShort=%d %b/%y to DateFormatShort=%b %d/%y, but that didn't do anything for me after restarting Krusader. What is the correct syntax for yyyy/mm/dd ?

and is Country=us correct for USA?

i would try something like this to give you yyyy/mm/dd:-

DateFormatShort=%Y/%m/%d

or if that doesnt work try:-

DateFormatShort=% Y.% m.% d

ive concocted this based on linux date command, it may or may not work, man link here:- http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/date.1.html

sorry no idea on whether the Country is correct, but you could try en-us or en_us or simply us would be the things i would try.

NEW TOPIC: MOVE-CANCEL

I have a new topic. to keep it separate from the current one please put TOPIC: MOVE-CANCEL at the top of your response.  Thanks.

I was moving a lot of folders from one folder to another within a share. I selected a bunch and dragged and dropped it across to the folder on the other side and selected "move here" midway for whatever reason I hit cancel, It stopped quickly and then when to a grey screen.  These are old files that i've recently moved in the array and I don't even know what was there at the time I was moving it . So I can't really check to see what happened to the files and if anything is missing. 

What is the VERY WORSE thing that could have happened when I hit cancel?  Could the files have been deleted? Corrupted?

Thanks!
Jon

9 hours ago, jonF said:

NEW TOPIC: MOVE-CANCEL

I have a new topic. to keep it separate from the current one please put TOPIC: MOVE-CANCEL at the top of your response.  Thanks.

I was moving a lot of folders from one folder to another within a share. I selected a bunch and dragged and dropped it across to the folder on the other side and selected "move here" midway for whatever reason I hit cancel, It stopped quickly and then when to a grey screen.  These are old files that i've recently moved in the array and I don't even know what was there at the time I was moving it . So I can't really check to see what happened to the files and if anything is missing. 

What is the VERY WORSE thing that could have happened when I hit cancel?  Could the files have been deleted? Corrupted?

Thanks!
Jon

taken from wikipedia:-

mv. mv (short for move) is a Unix command that moves one or more files or directories from one place to another. If both filenames are on the same filesystem, this results in a simple file rename; otherwise the file content is copied to the new location and the old file is removed.

so it depends where you were moving it from/to but assuming it was taking some time i would guess its going from different filesystems and thus it will be a copy src to dst and then delete src once copy is complete, if you cancel it then your source files will remain (not sure if the partially copied dst file gets deleted).