[Support] binhex - UrBackup

2 minutes ago, gadget069 said:

How do you go about manually updating? 

You don't. Wait for the new version to propagate to the repository, the new container will be built with the update after that happens.

Never update working production software with a new version first thing, always wait for any bugs to get found by brave early adopters.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing extremely slow network transfers when using urbackup, maxing out at about 25-30Mbps (often less) over a gigabit lan connection. I've posted about this on the urbackup community too - no answers as yet but it's really limiting the usefulness of this as a backup solution.

I don't think it is an issue with my network, as in an attempt to narrow it down, I've tested a couple of other backup dockers (Kopia for one) and those max out the network just fine while writing to the same disk/share,. Plus things used to work fine so not sure what has changed... Curious if anyone else is finding this to be the case? 

6 hours ago, feroxy said:

I'm experiencing extremely slow network transfers when using urbackup, maxing out at about 25-30Mbps (often less) over a gigabit lan connection. I've posted about this on the urbackup community too - no answers as yet but it's really limiting the usefulness of this as a backup solution.

I don't think it is an issue with my network, as in an attempt to narrow it down, I've tested a couple of other backup dockers (Kopia for one) and those max out the network just fine while writing to the same disk/share,. Plus things used to work fine so not sure what has changed... Curious if anyone else is finding this to be the case? 

Im also on Gigabit and I run this docker image myself, latest backup stats for me reveal:-
Writing new file list...
All metadata was present
Transferred 760.776 MB - Average speed: 36.7041 MBit/s

So yeah, not lightning fast, but that is probably more to do with the speed of the Windows filesystem and the fact it has to scan and backup lots of little files (not something Windows is particularly good at), i would suspect if i was backing up large files my speeds would be significantly higher.

4 hours ago, binhex said:

Im also on Gigabit and I run this docker image myself, latest backup stats for me reveal:-
Writing new file list...
All metadata was present
Transferred 760.776 MB - Average speed: 36.7041 MBit/s

So yeah, not lightning fast, but that is probably more to do with the speed of the Windows filesystem and the fact it has to scan and backup lots of little files (not something Windows is particularly good at), i would suspect if i was backing up large files my speeds would be significantly higher.

Interesting. I might be misremembering, but I had thought it was faster in the past. At the moment, the numbers i quote are for image backups, so in theory are those not more along the lines of large chunks of data being transferred?

Also given that Kopia is able to max out the network link doing a file level backup, does seem to indicate that maybe urbackup has some bottlenecks somewhere... Kopia doesn't do image backups though so its not a drop in replacement.

19 hours ago, feroxy said:

Interesting. I might be misremembering, but I had thought it was faster in the past. At the moment, the numbers i quote are for image backups, so in theory are those not more along the lines of large chunks of data being transferred?

The screenshot you posted on the urbackup forums has crucial information you omitted here, that you had 2 backups running at the same time. 

Spinning drives' performance always tanks when thrashing between 2 simultaneous operations. Pause one, wait till the other is done and resume.

Edited by Kilrah
4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

The screenshot you posted on the urbackup forums has crucial information you omitted here, that you had 2 backups running at the same time. 

Spinning drives' performance always tanks when thrashing between 2 simultaneous operations. Pause one, wait till the other is done and resume.

I'm afraid it makes no difference. I tested with one job running and get the same result. In fact I have noted that each backup job tends to max out at approximately the same transfer rate (ie if I start one job and let it settle at whatever low speed, and then start a second, the first job doesn't suddenly half it's throughput, rather the second tends to match the first), which doesn't come close to causing the drives to thrash. In fact drive activity is barely registering during these backup jobs (sort of pulsing activity rather than any sort of continuous read/writes).

I hate to keep referring back to a different piece of software, but the Kopia backup jobs I set up were able to complete their runs inside of an hour, maxing out the transfer link even while running at the same time as the urbackup jobs... And those are file level backups which as Binhex mentioned should tend to be slower based on windows file system reads.

Edited by feroxy

I had to delete some backups  manually 

And now the UI show 2022 backups that we cannot  delete....

I try to use the urbackupsrv remove-unknown
But I get :

sh-5.1# urbackupsrv remove-unknown
2023-10-30 14:18:35: Going to remove all unknown files and directories in the urbackup storage directory. Waiting 20 seconds...
2023-10-30 14:18:55: Shutting down all database instances...
2023-10-30 14:18:55: Opening urbackup server database...
2023-10-30 14:18:55: WARNING: SQLite: cannot open file at line 39363 of [3bfa9cc97d] errorcode: 14
2023-10-30 14:18:55: WARNING: SQLite: os_unix.c:39363: (13) open(/var/urbackup/backup_server_files.db) -  errorcode: 14
2023-10-30 14:18:55: Could not open db [urbackup/backup_server_files.db]
2023-10-30 14:18:55: ERROR: Database "urbackup/backup_server_files.db" couldn't be opened
2023-10-30 14:18:55: ERROR: Couldn't open backup server database. Exiting. Expecting database at "/var/urbackup/backup_server_files.db"
sh-5.1# 

and when i try to repair I get 

sh-5.1# urbackupsrv repair-database
2023-10-30 14:26:42: WARNING: SQLite: cannot open file at line 39363 of [3bfa9cc97d] errorcode: 14
2023-10-30 14:26:42: WARNING: SQLite: os_unix.c:39363: (13) open(/var/urbackup/backup_server_files.db) -  errorcode: 14
2023-10-30 14:26:42: Could not open db [urbackup/backup_server_files.db]
2023-10-30 14:26:42: ERROR: Database "urbackup/backup_server_files.db" couldn't be opened
2023-10-30 14:26:42: ERROR: Couldn't open backup server database. Exiting. Expecting database at "/var/urbackup/backup_server_files.db"
sh-5.1# 

36 minutes ago, badirontree said:

I had to delete some backups  manually 

This is a terrible idea, i'm just highlighting this for the next person, please do NOT do this, there is a Web UI for urbackup for a reason, please delete images and backups using the UI, otherwise urbackup will be unaware of your manual deletion.

36 minutes ago, badirontree said:
ERROR: Couldn't open backup server database. Exiting. Expecting database at "/var/urbackup/backup_server_files.db"

This is the wrong path, the urbackup databases are located at /config/urbackup/

TBH i would recommend you try asking for help on the urbackup forum, they should be able to guide you on the best way to fix this.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, binhex said:

This is a terrible idea, i'm just highlighting this for the next person, please do NOT do this, there is a Web UI for urbackup for a reason, please delete images and backups using the UI, otherwise urbackup will be unaware of your manual deletion.

This is the wrong path, the urbackup databases are located at /config/urbackup/

TBH i would recommend you try asking for help on the urbackup forum, they should be able to guide you on the best way to fix this.

Its a very old setup of urbackup that is keep getting updates...
02/2023 we had our files encrypted only in the unraid server somehow... all the pc that take the backup did not had any problems...

After i closed the remote access all the login attempts  stopped

################################################### # ######
############## YOUR FILES HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED ###############
################################################### # ######

--
YOUR FILES ARE SAFE! ENCRYPTED ONLY :: ChaCha + AES
WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you DO NOT use any "Decryption Tools".
These tools can corrupt your data, making recovery IMPOSSIBLE.
We also recommend not contacting data recovery companies.
They will just contact us, buy the key and sell it to you for a higher price.
If you want to decrypt your files, you need to get the RSA private key.
All your files have been encrypted with 0XXX Virus.
Your unique id: 2DE6A896046849E09DB547C7A2A25307
You can buy decryption for 2500$USD in Bitcoins.

To do this:
1) Send your unique id 2DE6A896046849E09DB547C7A2A25307 and max 3 files for test decryption to [email protected]
2) After decryption, we will send you the decrypted files and a unique bitcoin wallet for payment.
3) After payment ransom for Bitcoin, we will send you a decryption program and instructions. If we can decrypt your files, we have no reason to deceive you after payment. 

Also after payment we will give you some tips to protect yourself from this in the future.

I may start over will on the setup from the start... 

The new backups work fine... the old were encrypted  and we could not delete them from the UI

I delete them manually to save space :P

4 minutes ago, badirontree said:
All your files have been encrypted with 0XXX Virus.
Your unique id: 2DE6A896046849E09DB547C7A2A25307
You can buy decryption for 2500$USD in Bitcoins.

OK so you have had your server hacked and are being held ransom (ransomware) for decryption, this is a bigger issue!, please firstly identify the cause of the server being hacked and fix it, then consider your next move.

15 minutes ago, binhex said:

OK so you have had your server hacked and are being held ransom (ransomware) for decryption, this is a bigger issue!, please firstly identify the cause of the server being hacked and fix it, then consider your next move.

nope, we fixed the problem 3 months ago... we had 3000 attempts  to login  each day...

Most bot tried to run EXE files .... 

So far nothing is accessing  the server since is not online anymore... 

The bigger problem was we did not notice any problems, since the server had a lot  of TB and the only encrypted was the old 2022 files (original hack) ... If we had to restore a backup then it would be a problem... 

Anyway I think its time to make a new setup from the start. 

What is the faster way to purge all setting and files from the server ? 

Thanks 

Edited by badirontree
13 minutes ago, badirontree said:

What is the faster way to purge all setting and files from the server ? 

im assuming you are talking about urbackup here not unraid, in that case you would:-

1. stop the urbackup container

2. delete all backup data stored on unraid

3. delete all files and folders located in the /config folder for this container

4. start container and reconfigure

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 4:05 PM, binhex said:

im assuming you are talking about urbackup here not unraid, in that case you would:-

1. stop the urbackup container

2. delete all backup data stored on unraid

3. delete all files and folders located in the /config folder for this container

4. start container and reconfigure

Thank  you

because they got in again 7/11/23 

I decided to just PURGE the server and router setting and setup from the start again.... all new passwords 

But this time they only encrypted 3 folders/pc that were visible in local network... I will check also my TV  + cameras that are IP/ IOT for infections...  

Edited by badirontree
On 10/2/2023 at 11:05 PM, egtrev said:

Has anyone had issues mounting an image backup from the WebUI?

The WebUI tries to mount but it just endlessly keeps loading/spinning and doesn't come back with any errors.

The log shows the below multiple times, which I'm guessing is related to the issue:

ERROR: Cannot open "/media/DELL/231001-2019_Image_C/contents0": Permission denied (13)

I have to restart the Docker to stop the Mount attempt.

I have the same problem. ls shows this folder to be owned by 967:967. If I chown it to nobody:users on the host, I get this instead:

2023-11-21 11:04:50,089 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:
ERROR: Image mounting failed: Loading FUSE kernel module...
modprobe: FATAL: Module fuse not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.49-Unraid
Starting VHD background process...
Waiting for background process to become available...
Timeout while waiting for background process. Please see logfile (/var/log/urbackup-fuse.log) for error details.
UrBackup mount process returned non-zero return code

I've also tried making the container privileged, adding the /dev/fuse device and loading the fuse module on the host system. The issues stayed exactly the same.

Edited by xieve
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 6:15 PM, Masterwishx said:

@binhex can you say if was something changes in permissions of container in past ?

Because i have old client PC with 777 permissions for folder :

image.thumb.png.c1773ce8a5d79f8a192ddbfdabce904c.png

but all newer clients have 770 :

image.thumb.png.9b9ebdd11fbb806b98183eacf60de561.png

or maybe i missing something ?

UMASK=000 in container .

Did you get any Updates for that? I have the same issue.

I can't access the Files via SMB because of the "wrong" Permissions.

Could only access all the Files after I have changed the permissions via UnRaid for the Share back again.

When I try to Mount an Backup via the WebInterface I get the following Error written into the Docker Log:

2023-12-15 00:00:11,221 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:
ERROR: Cannot open "/media/Valhalla/231209-2232_Image_C/contents0": Permission denied (13)

2023-12-15 00:00:21,248 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:
ERROR: Cannot open "/media/Valhalla/231209-2232_Image_C/contents0": Permission denied (13)

2023-12-15 00:00:31,273 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:

Also the Container is running, but the Webinterface is trying and trying until i restart the Container.

On 12/15/2023 at 1:04 AM, MVLP said:

Did you get any Updates for that? I have the same issue.

I can't access the Files via SMB because of the "wrong" Permissions.

Could only access all the Files after I have changed the permissions via UnRaid for the Share back again.

No, I'm using urbackup official container for now.

Having `drwxr-x---` for clients

Edited by Masterwishx

how do i fix this problem that all my computers is having.

9.12.23 20:45  DEBUG  Channel message: START BACKUP FULL

19.12.23 20:45  DEBUG  msg=START BACKUP FULL

19.12.23 20:45  ERROR  Cannot create directory /media/Zallman/231219-1145 for backup (server error). No space left on device (code: 28)

19.12.23 20:45  INFO  Time taken for backing up client Zallman: 2ms

19.12.23 20:45  ERROR  Backup failed

19.12.23 20:45  INFO  Updating statistics...

19.12.23 20:45  INFO  Done updating statistics.

i have 26TB fre space on the server