[Support] binhex - UrBackup

2 hours ago, Evolze said:

Could you please tell me how you did this from within the container's filesystem itself? Did you just make a directory in /etc/urbackup/backupfolder? Or did you create a symlink to it at all? I tried just about everything and cannot seem to get rid of this error. It shouldn't nag me this much but it does 😅

Just create a file in your appdata folder on the host named "backupfolder" that contains the text "/media" (no quotes). Then in the dockerman template add a new path from the backup folder file on the host to "/etc/urbackup/backupfolder" in the container. Make sure you specify the filename in the path and not just the folder it's in. I marked mine as read only in the template. And that's it.

20 hours ago, primeval_god said:

Just create a file in your appdata folder on the host named "backupfolder" that contains the text "/media" (no quotes). Then in the dockerman template add a new path from the backup folder file on the host to "/etc/urbackup/backupfolder" in the container. Make sure you specify the filename in the path and not just the folder it's in. I marked mine as read only in the template. And that's it.

Fantastic, thank you so much for your help! This seems to have gotten rid of the error, but now it appears to have created a few others ones. 😆

It now seems to be complaining about how it is not on a btrfs filesystem and how a dataset is not configured? Any ideas here?

For background, everything Docker-related on my Unraid host is setup on a cache drive formatted with btrfs, with the docker image being a btrfs vDisk (if this matters):

2022-12-31 03:53:28,764 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:
MOUNT TEST OK

2022-12-31 03:53:28,767 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:
Testing for btrfs...

2022-12-31 03:53:28,772 DEBG 'urbackup' stderr output:
ERROR: not a btrfs filesystem: /media/testA54hj5luZtlorr494

2022-12-31 03:53:28,772 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:
TEST FAILED: Creating test btrfs subvolume failed

2022-12-31 03:53:28,772 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:
Testing for zfs...
TEST FAILED: Dataset is not set via /etc/urbackup/dataset

docker-config.thumb.PNG.f3fc6b3e4c54489a7603b9c6a10bbca0.PNG

I tried doing a bit of research and it looks this is called via the "urbackup_snapshot_helper test" command. Not sure why it thinks there isn't a btrfs filesystem there (unless the Docker container does not know about the host filesystem type)?

Nonetheless, seriously though, thank you again for your help these past couple of days! 😀

Edited by Evolze

First off those messages are about the "/media" mount which is where urBackup is going to store your backup data. Despite being labeled as errors those are just urBackup testing whether or not it can use btrfs or zfs specific features in the backup location, if it cant then they are not errors. If you are expecting it to make use of the BTRFS filesystem then the container needs to be run as privileged. If you do have the /media location on your cache drive you will need to make it cache only. You can read back in this topic but i dont think unRAIDs mover necessarily plays nice with urbackups storage architecture, it certainly wont with the BTRFS specific features. If you point /media at the array and intend to use the BTRFS specific features you will need to point it directly at a BTRFS formatted disk share.

On 12/31/2022 at 7:52 AM, primeval_god said:

If you are expecting it to make use of the BTRFS filesystem then the container needs to be run as privileged.

Ah okay, understood. The cache drive is set to Cache Only and even then, I had no idea these filesystem-specific features existed within UrBackup. It's a good option to have if I decide to go down this path.

Once again, thanks for your help -- Happy New Year! 😀

How long should a normal backup take? I am doing a full backup every saturday and it takes about 16-20 hours for 2TB. I am using normal 1Gbit LAN and I feel this is a bit slow. I wouldn't mind a few hours since I am using the PC a lot on the weekends but 16 hours is a bit to long if you ask me.

Are any other people seeing this in their logs?

WARNING: SQLite: os_unix.c:36982: (40) openDirectory(/var/urbackup) -  errorcode: 14

The only google result that looks relevant references symlinks for var/urbackup no longer working and needing bind mounts, so I'm wondering if I messed something up in my config.

To be clear, I can't see any issues besides a WARNING in the log file, everything seems to be working fine.

I'm positive this is a user error issue, but I'm hoping there is a way to fix it. 
Before I realized I could delete old backup files from within the program itself, I manually deleted a bunch. Now that I know where to find the list to delete them from within the app itself, all those deleted backups are still showing there, and when I try to delete them again I get the error that the files don't exist. Is there a way to refresh this list to remove all non-existent backups?

image.thumb.png.bf58e3ef34fe88fb9dcac55476bfc05a.png

6 hours ago, Lonewolf147 said:

I'm positive this is a user error issue, but I'm hoping there is a way to fix it. 
Before I realized I could delete old backup files from within the program itself, I manually deleted a bunch. Now that I know where to find the list to delete them from within the app itself, all those deleted backups are still showing there, and when I try to delete them again I get the error that the files don't exist. Is there a way to refresh this list to remove all non-existent backups?

https://www.urbackup.org/administration_manual.html#x1-10000011.4

On 1/9/2023 at 2:15 AM, JonathanM said:

Yup, have them too, and also doesn't seem to be a problem. Might be because /var/urbackup is a symlink...

BTW I just changed log config to info after noticing my urbackup.log was 1.2GB because of a slew of

ERROR: Sending broadcast failed! (ipv6)

every minute.

Edited by Kilrah
  • 4 weeks later...

I feel really stupid but I can't figure out what to do after I install.
It says I need to install a "Client" but I don't see a client to install or know where to install the downloaded client to.
I have an Unraid server that I want to backup certain folders.
This UrBackup is installed to my UnRaid Server.
I tried to "Add a new client" with the IPAddress of my server but it returns that it is not online. I assume that this is because I didn't install a "Client".
What am I doing wrong?

5 minutes ago, SiliconFalcon said:

I feel really stupid but I can't figure out what to do after I install.

This is more aimed at backing up *other* computers to your Unraid server.

https://www.urbackup.org

Get a client from there and point at your Unraid server to back up to the server.

Unraid's redundancy should mean you don't need to back it up to itself. (but I think some have managed to install the client onto Unraid itself...)

Hello

i can not see the GUI.

but in the log i can see

2023-02-08 08:44:37,642 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:
ERROR: HTTP: Failed binding socket to port 55414. Another instance of this application may already be active and bound to this port.

can anybody help me?

(and now, i have no other docker on this port)

7 hours ago, luckyheiko said:

Hello

i can not see the GUI.

but in the log i can see

2023-02-08 08:44:37,642 DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:
ERROR: HTTP: Failed binding socket to port 55414. Another instance of this application may already be active and bound to this port.

can anybody help me?

(and now, i have no other docker on this port)

Are you using Host mode?

11 minutes ago, luckyheiko said:

yes, but i use urbackup since 1 year and have not chance anything.

is this a 'problem' since the last update, i don't now.

Not a common problem, my instance is up to date and working fine.

Have you powered down and restarted the server? Maybe there is a previous instance that didn't exit properly.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:15 AM, JonathanM said:

WARNING: SQLite: os_unix.c:36982: (40) openDirectory(/var/urbackup) -  errorcode: 14

The only google result that looks relevant references symlinks for var/urbackup no longer working and needing bind mounts, so I'm wondering if I messed something up in my config.

To be clear, I can't see any issues besides a WARNING in the log file, everything seems to be working fine.

same to me 🤔

I'm having one of those days. After my cache drive crashed, i found I lost all my CA Backup/Restore files. So, I've had to reinstall all my apps from scratch. Now I'm working on URBackup. Since I've installed a new server, it doesn't recognize my clients. I've tried following these choices per the help page:

*Click on the popup that asks if you want to use the new UrBackup server

*Delete the server_idents.txt on the client, stop the UrBackup client back-end service, wait 5min, and start the service again.

*Uninstall the UrBackup client, wait 5min and then install it again. You loose your settings if you do this.

*Get the server identity from the server (It is shown on the admin page for server administrators) and add it to the client's server_idents.txt.

1, I don't get a popup asking to use the new server.

2, I deleted the idents file, stopped it, waited, restarted. Nothing. It says it can't communicate with the server, and my client is now missing from the client list on the server. I added the idents file back, but it didn't change anything, client still doesn't show.

3, - haven't tried this yet, because I'm still hoping to get the clients resynced so I can access all my backups again

4, logging into the server, I checked every tab available in settings and there is no Admin Page, nor a server ident visible.

The server version is the latest one pulled from the repository today.  Client versions are 2.5.21

Any ideas to try before I uninstall and probably lose access to my old backups?

This can't be normal. I am running a sheduled backup every saturday and everytime this takes literally the whole day to complete. I changed my network from 1Gbit to 10Gbit now because I was hoping that it would copy faster but it does not. I am doing a complete backup of the computer which is about 2TB

UrBackupClient_zb4SGrF4DA.png.1d3cfeb9d504ebd6bf06172c4fc850ea.png