Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

8 minutes ago, OmegaCrit said:

Added the diagnostics to my previous post but must have been to late for you to see it here is a new one I have one drive that i can mount and one that is giving me the udev error

htpc-diagnostics-20230910-1654.zip 104.28 kB · 1 download

There is a situation with some USB disks that I've seen where udev does not report the correct file system.  That 'Udev' indicator is to indicate where UD detects the actual file system on the disk is different than that being reported by udev.  The solution is to click on the double arrows icon on the upper right corner of the UD page.  That causes udev to refresh UD with the disk status and should clear up the 'udev' indicator.

So I don't have the drive hooked up via USB its connect via to the same HBA that the mountable drive is connected too. I tried clicking the icon with two arrows it says success but nothing changes. I could try hooking it up via usb and seeing if that does anything.

Edit 1: so hooking It up via usb did nothing

Edited by OmegaCrit
15 minutes ago, OmegaCrit said:

So I don't have the drive hooked up via USB its connect via to the same HBA that the mountable drive is connected too. I tried clicking the icon with two arrows it says success but nothing changes. I could try hooking it up via usb and seeing if that does anything.

Edit 1: so hooking It up via usb did nothing

Post a screen shot of UD showing the disk with the issue.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

It looks to me that you are pushing your system too much.

This system exists like that since 2020. Never had such problems before. This all will change with the arrival of multiple arrays.

Why does UD request 44 df's if I use MC to move one file between two exact named disks. E.g.

To: /mnt/remotes/192.168.178.102_disk1/...

Here are the results:

root@HTPC:~# lsblk -f
NAME        FSTYPE   FSVER LABEL  UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
loop0       squashfs 4.0                                                 15.4G     1% /lib
loop1       squashfs 4.0                                                 15.4G     1% /usr
loop2       btrfs                 1172f222-4c0e-425f-ad4c-6412c5bc28ac   11.3G    41% /var/lib/docker/btrfs
                                                                                      /var/lib/docker
loop3       btrfs                 81e47654-4006-401c-a090-a5841a9c6fbd  904.4M     0% /etc/libvirt
sda                                                                                   
└─sda1      vfat     FAT32 UNRAID 272C-EBE2                              14.5G     3% /boot
sdb                                                                                   
└─sdb1      xfs                   f8881584-2766-4cc2-9523-bbc3d13ab694                
sdc                                                                                   
└─sdc1      xfs                   69f07e3c-b74a-4897-8127-c197e8121a3f                
sde                                                                                   
├─sde1                                                                                
└─sde2      ntfs           WD3B   0A1800EF1800DB97                                    
sdf                                                                                   
└─sdf1      ntfs           2TCB   6EC0BC9AC0BC6A4B                      437.9G    76% /mnt/disks/2TCB
md1p1                                                                     3.5T    62% /mnt/disk1
md2p1                                                                     1.8T     1% /mnt/disk2
nvme0n1                                                                               
└─nvme0n1p1 btrfs                 58cc5c6e-f26a-47cb-ba53-4d69d3e76ee1    1.8T     1% /mnt/cache
root@HTPC:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw,size=16385148k,nr_inodes=4096287,inode64)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=32768k,mode=755,inode64)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0177,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,flush,errors=remount-ro)
/boot/bzmodules on /lib type squashfs (ro,relatime,errors=continue)
overlay on /lib type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/lib,upperdir=/var/local/overlay/lib,workdir=/var/local/overlay-work/lib)
/boot/bzfirmware on /usr type squashfs (ro,relatime,errors=continue)
overlay on /usr type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/usr,upperdir=/var/local/overlay/usr,workdir=/var/local/overlay-work/usr)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=8192k,nr_inodes=4096287,mode=755,inode64)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime,inode64)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /hugetlbfs type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
cgroup_root on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=8192k,mode=755,inode64)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup2 (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /var/log type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=131072k,mode=755,inode64)
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
rootfs on /mnt type rootfs (rw,size=16385148k,nr_inodes=4096287,inode64)
tmpfs on /mnt/disks type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1024k,inode64)
tmpfs on /mnt/remotes type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1024k,inode64)
tmpfs on /mnt/addons type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1024k,inode64)
tmpfs on /mnt/rootshare type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1024k,inode64)
/dev/md1p1 on /mnt/disk1 type xfs (rw,noatime,nouuid,attr2,inode64,logbufs=8,logbsize=32k,noquota)
/dev/md2p1 on /mnt/disk2 type xfs (rw,noatime,nouuid,attr2,inode64,logbufs=8,logbsize=32k,noquota)
/dev/nvme0n1p1 on /mnt/cache type btrfs (rw,noatime,ssd,discard=async,space_cache=v2,subvolid=5,subvol=/)
shfs on /mnt/user0 type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
shfs on /mnt/user type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
/mnt/cache/system/docker/docker.img on /var/lib/docker type btrfs (rw,noatime,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=5,subvol=/)
/mnt/cache/system/docker/docker.img on /var/lib/docker/btrfs type btrfs (rw,noatime,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=5,subvol=/)
nsfs on /run/docker/netns/58d2747f0c7e type nsfs (rw)
/mnt/cache/system/libvirt/libvirt.img on /etc/libvirt type btrfs (rw,noatime,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=5,subvol=/)
nsfs on /run/docker/netns/eea61cf49e5e type nsfs (rw)
nsfs on /run/docker/netns/6d7c8f8da35f type nsfs (rw)
nsfs on /run/docker/netns/9697d4f9a962 type nsfs (rw)
nsfs on /run/docker/netns/c8b036a3cdc0 type nsfs (rw)
nsfs on /run/docker/netns/c44df795195a type nsfs (rw)
nsfs on /run/docker/netns/13dff6b8eb1f type nsfs (rw)
/dev/sdf1 on /mnt/disks/2TCB type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)

1 minute ago, hawihoney said:

Why does UD request 44 df's if I use MC to move one file between two exact named disks. E.g.

It refreshes the size, used, and free space on the a remote mount every 90 seconds based on when it was last checked.  They are not alll checked at one time.

4 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

This system exists like that since 2020. Never had such problems before. This all will change with the arrival of multiple arrays.

A lot of things have changed - your remote servers are full.  That will slow down the 'df' command with a lot of directories and files it has to go through.  Do you have cache_dirs installed on your servers?  That might help.

Switch to NFS on your remote share mounts.  SMB is too much overhead.

42 minutes ago, dlandon said:

It refreshes the size, used, and free space on the a remote mount every 90 seconds based on when it was last checked.  They are not alll checked at one time.

42 minutes ago, dlandon said:

A lot of things have changed - your remote servers are full.

E.g.: 192.168.178.102 has not changed. Same count of disks, same type and size of disks. It was full and it is full. Never saw a single error line like that shown above in years.

Ok will look for a different solution. I can't copy/move files between these three systems thru UD any longer. Not a Linux guy here, but I guess there must be a way to mount /mnt/ between systems ...

Edited by hawihoney
56 minutes ago, OmegaCrit said:

OK I clicked the unmount button and it disappeared, this is how it now looks:

Yes, that's expected.  You can mount it again by setting the 'Automount' switch on, detach the disk, then reattach the disk.  It will auto mount.  The 'Udev' marker is only on the mount button and doesn't affect auto mount.  I'll have it fixed in the next release of UD.  Because of some users whinning about too many updates, I'll hold off until it becomes a necessity to update.  Right now you have a work around.

9 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Sorry, don't know what a root share is. As I don't have User Shares enabled (I simply don't need them) is there a way to have a remote root share with /mnt/ ?

Yes, but you cannot share disks in a root share.  Set up a user share for each hard disk and set the share to be exclusive to a disk.  For example: User share 'Disk1' exclusive to disk1.  Once all of them are set, turn off Disk sharing and enable User sharing.  Then use UD to add a Root Share on the other server.  All your disks will be at '/mnt/rootshare/diskX'.  You can access them there for file copies.

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Yes, but you cannot share disks in a root share.  Set up a user share for each hard disk and set the share to be exclusive to a disk.  For example: User share 'Disk1' exclusive to disk1.  Once all of them are set, turn off Disk sharing and enable User sharing.  Then use UD to add a remote share on the other server.  All your disks will be at '/mnt/rootshare/diskX'.  You can access them there for file copies.

The goal of Disk Shares is Plex. Never, ever had Plex to wait for all Disks of an 22-Disk array to spin up if Linux RAM-Cache is purged. Plex holds all individual disks and their content instead of user shares. When I used user shares in the past that happened from time to time. Waiting time was approx. 22x 10 sec then.

If Disk Shares need to be deactivated, I will look further for a different solution. Did remove UD already from the two Unraid VMs (Direct Attached Storage Boxes). It doesn't work for me since 6.12.4. Currently investigating shell copy or something like that between Unraid boxes.

42 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

The goal of Disk Shares is Plex. Never, ever had Plex to wait for all Disks of an 22-Disk array to spin up if Linux RAM-Cache is purged. Plex holds all individual disks and their content instead of user shares. When I used user shares in the past that happened from time to time. Waiting time was approx. 22x 10 sec then.

If Disk Shares need to be deactivated, I will look further for a different solution. Did remove UD already from the two Unraid VMs (Direct Attached Storage Boxes). It doesn't work for me since 6.12.4. Currently investigating shell copy or something like that between Unraid boxes.

It's no different because one User share is one disk.  Spin ups won't occur on other array disks when accessing one disk.  The same as disk shares.

17 minutes ago, ryanjk512 said:

I’m using unassigned devices for a remote synology nas share with auto mount toggled on. And everything works great until unraid sever has a power off or restart. Then auto mount does not work. Help would be appreciated. 

Thre's a timer to wait for a while until the network settles.  It defaults to 5 minutes.  Extend it and see if it helps.  Try 30 seconds.  It's called "Remote Share Mount Wait Time" at Unassigned Devices->Settings.  If that doesn't work, post your diagnostics.

4 hours ago, Bushibot said:

I can see the drive and the share in unassigned devices but it does not seem to be accessible.

It's a bug that will be fixed in the next release of UD.  To get around this:

• Turn the 'Auto Mount' switch on.
  • Detach the disk.
  • Attach the disk.

The disk will be mounted and you can access the data.  Click the 'Unmount' button on the second partition to unmount the disk.