Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

UD is not picking up the file system on that partition.  Try clicking on the double arrow icon and see if the file system shows and the mount button turns active.

Okay, so hitting that did end up activating the Mount option. Is there a script I need to enable to force this after a reboot?

Also after I started my array the option to dismount became unavailable until I hit the double-arrow refresh button again.

Edit: So It makes me wonder if somehow the array starting is causing the initial mount option to become disabled.

Edited by wizenthorne
13 minutes ago, wizenthorne said:

Okay, so hitting that did end up activating the Mount option. Is there a script I need to enable to force this after a reboot?

That should not be happening.  What is happening is an empty partition from the USB disk is showing up on the internal disk.  Udev is confused about the partitions.  Here are a few things to try:

• Start by unmounting both disks, then click on the double arrow icon. Click on each disk check file system icon (check mark by the partition).  See if that fixes the issue.
  • Shutdown the server and disconnect the internal disk.  See if the USB disk is recognized.
  • If it is, unload the internal disk files and reformat the disk.
  • Copy files back to the internal disk.
  • If not, unload the USB disk and reformat that disk.
  • Use UD to do all the partition removal and reformatting of the disks.
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

That should not be happening.  What is happening is an empty partition from the USB disk is showing up on the internal disk.  Udev is confused about the partitions.  Here are a few things to try:

• Start by unmounting both disks, then click on the double arrow icon. Click on each disk check file system icon (check mark by the partition).  See if that fixes the issue.
  • Shutdown the server and disconnect the internal disk.  See if the USB disk is recognized.
  • If it is, unload the internal disk files and reformat the disk.
  • Copy files back to the internal disk.
  • If not, unload the USB disk and reformat that disk.
  • Use UD to do all the partition removal and reformatting of the disks.

External had no errors. The internal reported errors. It attempted to fix. Did a reboot. Still not mounting the external. Ran the check again on internal. Still errors so I did the extra step (forgot what it was called) and that fixed it. Rebooted. Still won't automount the external. I'll probably do your suggestions slightly out of order because I don't have anything critical on the internal one so I'll probably just format and see if that fixes the issue without disconnecting it.

So I did try rebooting with the internal drive unplugged and reformat the internal drive using UD. Neither solution worked. It would seem my last option is probably to move my files off the external, format, then move them back.

Is it possible the problem I'm having is due to the external being formatted to ntfs instead of xfs?

Hi, i cannot mount remote drives any more - i am doing that for 2 years and nothing changed, today after reboots the mount button stays greyed out. the VPN connection is stable, i can ssh to the remote server - but i cannot mount the other servers exported nfs drives.

if i disable nfs export and i add the drive i click on load shares - none appear. then i activate nfs again, click on my server on load share and all nfs shares are shown. so i select it and the "drive" appears but mount is greyed out.

i uninstalled Unassigned Devices (and plus) and installed again, no changes

when i mount the share manually :

mount -t nfs 10.253.1.2:/mnt/user/filme /mnt/remotes/alex -o nolock,rw
mount.nfs: Connection refused for 10.253.1.2:/mnt/user/filme on /mnt/remotes/alex

on remote server:

root@Tower:~# exportfs -rav
exporting *:/mnt/user/rips
exporting *:/mnt/user/filme

unraid-diagnostics-20240829-1422.zip

Edited by Grobalt
On 8/27/2024 at 7:03 PM, wizenthorne said:

So I did try rebooting with the internal drive unplugged and reformat the internal drive using UD. Neither solution worked. It would seem my last option is probably to move my files off the external, format, then move them back.

Is it possible the problem I'm having is due to the external being formatted to ntfs instead of xfs?

No, that doesn't make any difference.

13 minutes ago, Grobalt said:

Hi, i cannot mount remote drives any more - i am doing that for 2 years and nothing changed, today after reboots the mount button stays greyed out. the VPN connection is stable, i can ssh to the remote server - but i cannot mount the other servers exported nfs drives.

Here are the things to check:

• Be sure NFS on the server where the disk is mounted is enabled in UD settings.
  • Be sure NFS is enabled on the server where the disk is mounted.
  • Be sure the disk 'Share' switch is on.
  • Be sure port 2049 is open through your VPN.  This is the port UD checks to be sure the remote server is online and ready to accept NFS connections.

Will it work if the VPN is turned off?  What version of Unraid is running on the remote server?

On 8/27/2024 at 6:22 PM, dlandon said:

How are you coppying files to the UD disk and what is the source of the files?  There is no minimum free space on a UD disk, so I don;t understand what limit you are running into.  Unraid doesn't have any control over UD disks.

I'm using luckybackup to backup files on the UD disk, but running into the message that the disk is full, even though it isn't.
Can't find any limits in luckybackup which is why I thought there might be one in UD. If there is none in UD, I'll have to look further.

5 hours ago, convernatics said:

I'm using luckybackup to backup files on the UD disk, but running into the message that the disk is full, even though it isn't.
Can't find any limits in luckybackup which is why I thought there might be one in UD. If there is none in UD, I'll have to look further.

I'd say it's probably a situation with your backup software.

Hey,

i have a problem with mounting an NVME drive. I have the drive installed for a long time without an file system and wanted to format it now and mount it. Sadly the mount button is greyed out all the time.

Did a server reboot, renamed mount point, set default script settings, cleared script settings, reformat in different filesystems and a drive clear, nothing helped.

Maybe someone has an idea.

Disk Log:

Sep  1 11:23:42 tower unassigned.devices: Removing all partitions from disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Sep  1 11:35:01 tower unassigned.devices: Format device '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Sep  1 11:35:02 tower unassigned.devices: Device '/dev/nvme0n1' block size: 2000409264.
Sep  1 11:35:02 tower unassigned.devices: Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Sep  1 11:35:04 tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Sep  1 11:35:04 tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1:  re-reading partition table
Sep  1 11:35:04 tower unassigned.devices: Creating Unraid compatible mbr partition on disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1:  re-reading partition table
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower unassigned.devices: Formatting disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower unassigned.devices: Format drive command: /sbin/mkfs.xfs -f '/dev/nvme0n1p1' 2>&1
Sep  1 11:35:29 tower unassigned.devices: Format disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'xfs' filesystem: meta-data=/dev/nvme0n1p1         isize=512    agcount=4, agsize=62512726 blks          =                       sectsz=512   attr=2, projid32bit=1          =                       crc=1        finobt=1, sparse=1, rmapbt=0          =                       reflink=1    bigtime=1 inobtcount=1 nrext64=0 data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=250050902, imaxpct=25          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0, ftype=1 log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=122095, version=2          =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=1 realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0 Discarding blocks...Done.
Sep  1 11:35:32 tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Sep  1 11:35:32 tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1
Sep  1 11:35:32 tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1:  re-reading partition table

2 hours ago, unr41dus3r said:

Hey,

i have a problem with mounting an NVME drive. I have the drive installed for a long time without an file system and wanted to format it now and mount it. Sadly the mount button is greyed out all the time.

Did a server reboot, renamed mount point, set default script settings, cleared script settings, reformat in different filesystems and a drive clear, nothing helped.

Maybe someone has an idea.

Disk Log:

Sep  1 11:23:42 tower unassigned.devices: Removing all partitions from disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Sep  1 11:35:01 tower unassigned.devices: Format device '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Sep  1 11:35:02 tower unassigned.devices: Device '/dev/nvme0n1' block size: 2000409264.
Sep  1 11:35:02 tower unassigned.devices: Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Sep  1 11:35:04 tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Sep  1 11:35:04 tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1:  re-reading partition table
Sep  1 11:35:04 tower unassigned.devices: Creating Unraid compatible mbr partition on disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1:  re-reading partition table
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower unassigned.devices: Formatting disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Sep  1 11:35:06 tower unassigned.devices: Format drive command: /sbin/mkfs.xfs -f '/dev/nvme0n1p1' 2>&1
Sep  1 11:35:29 tower unassigned.devices: Format disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'xfs' filesystem: meta-data=/dev/nvme0n1p1         isize=512    agcount=4, agsize=62512726 blks          =                       sectsz=512   attr=2, projid32bit=1          =                       crc=1        finobt=1, sparse=1, rmapbt=0          =                       reflink=1    bigtime=1 inobtcount=1 nrext64=0 data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=250050902, imaxpct=25          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0, ftype=1 log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=122095, version=2          =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=1 realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0 Discarding blocks...Done.
Sep  1 11:35:32 tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Sep  1 11:35:32 tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1
Sep  1 11:35:32 tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1:  re-reading partition table

Do the following:

• Power down your server.
  • Re-seat the nvme card.
  • Power on and then format the drive.
  • Click on the double arrows in the right hand corner of the UD page if the 'Mount'  button is grayed out.

I know this sounds strange, but several users have reported re-seating the nvme card has fixed this issue.

14 minutes ago, Braulio Dias Ribeiro said:

I have an error in the configuration options.
When I edit the settings it doesn't stay saved.

Example: I can't add a script, I can't remove the sharing option.

There are several reasons this can happen:

• Flash drive corruption.
  • UD config file corruption.
  • Security options in your browser.  For example private browsing with Chrome.  Look at the message at the bottom of the page next to the buttons.

17 minutes ago, Braulio Dias Ribeiro said:

In the /config folder on the pendrive there is a folder labeled “/boot/config/plugins-error”.

Those happen when you reboot and there is an issue with the plugin installing.  Click on "Plugins" and you'll see a plugin error tab.  You can delete them.

Try the following:

• Try a different browser.
  • Take the flash drifve to a PC and run a disk check.
  • Unplug the Unassigned USB disk and you'll then see it in the Historical Unassigned Devices list.  Click the red X to delete the configuration and start over.
  • Plug the disk back in and try the device settings again.
2 hours ago, Braulio Dias Ribeiro said:

In the /config folder on the pendrive there is a folder labeled “/boot/config/plugins-error”.

If you look at the dates they're old versions that were moved there likely long ago after an OS update. You can delete them.

Edited by Kilrah
On 9/1/2024 at 1:51 PM, dlandon said:

Do the following:

• Power down your server.
  • Re-seat the nvme card.
  • Power on and then format the drive.
  • Click on the double arrows in the right hand corner of the UD page if the 'Mount'  button is grayed out.

I know this sounds strange, but several users have reported re-seating the nvme card has fixed this issue.

I dont know if it was the reseating or the double arrows.

But i did the reseating, format the drive, mount still greyed out.

Pressing the double arrows.

It works now!

Thanks

On 9/1/2024 at 2:08 PM, dlandon said:

There are several reasons this can happen:

• Flash drive corruption.
  • UD config file corruption.
  • Security options in your browser.  For example private browsing with Chrome.  Look at the message at the bottom of the page next to the buttons.

Those happen when you reboot and there is an issue with the plugin installing.  Click on "Plugins" and you'll see a plugin error tab.  You can delete them.

Try the following:

• Try a different browser.
  • Take the flash drifve to a PC and run a disk check.
  • Unplug the Unassigned USB disk and you'll then see it in the Historical Unassigned Devices list.  Click the red X to delete the configuration and start over.
  • Plug the disk back in and try the device settings again.

I'll try, it's just that the server is in another city. Thanks for your help

Hello everyone

I have a pile of old HDDs that I want to dispose of or sell. To do this, I want to delete them all with Preclear first.

But now I have the problem that Unraid is somehow not playing along properly. At first it didn't want to recognize it at all, then I restarted Unraid and was able to delete 3-4 HDDs one after the other. Then it didn't recognize the HDDs again. After a restart, it recognized the new HDD and I was able to delete it. Now I've changed the HDD and the new one isn't recognized again, and it doesn't want to recognize the one that was deleted before either.

I can see in the logs that the HDD is recognized, but somehow can't be connected.

Does anyone know what to do?

PS. The HDDs are connected via the onboard SATA connector and HotSwap is activated in the BIOS.

tower-diagnostics-20240905-2112.zip

17 hours ago, swiss01 said:

But now I have the problem that Unraid is somehow not playing along properly. At first it didn't want to recognize it at all, then I restarted Unraid and was able to delete 3-4 HDDs one after the other. Then it didn't recognize the HDDs again. After a restart, it recognized the new HDD and I was able to delete it. Now I've changed the HDD and the new one isn't recognized again, and it doesn't want to recognize the one that was deleted before either.

I'm not sure I understand all this.  When you say "delete" do you mean in the Historical Unassigned Devices?  As far as recognizing devices, try clicking on the two arrows icon in the upper right of the UD page.  This will trigger a udev update and should show any unassigned disks.

17 hours ago, swiss01 said:

I can see in the logs that the HDD is recognized, but somehow can't be connected.

Do you mean it cannot be mounted?  You have a drive that doesn't mount because there is no file system on the disk:

Sep  5 15:50:49 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition '/dev/sdd1' does not have a file system and cannot be mounted.