[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

Yep. Cool. Thanks guys.

So booting to legacy is better if possible for utilizing the nVidia driver? Which in turn may help with transcode downsizing 4k to 1080p?

I generally don't do that anyway. But I'm interested in testing. I'll have a go later today.

Cheers

7 minutes ago, cappapp said:

So booting to legacy is better if possible for utilizing the nVidia driver?

I booting always to legacy because Linux, Nvidia & UEFI is not the most fun at least it isn't for me...

Also my experience with VM's and passed through graphics cards is also better.

Trying to sort out getting my P2000 to fire up with the latest update. Trying to determine if it's some setting in unRAID I've managed to get bunked up, BIOS or something else?

Running on an ASRockRack X470D4U, I just updated to the latest BIOS and IPMI firmware

Updated to 6.9.0 and installed the NVIDIA Driver plugin

Seeing the "NVIDIA-SMI" failed message below;

image.png.a5bd4c3e0c625f5c0b745f44d8c412ee.png

I confirmed the card works by hooking up a monitor to the system and was receiving output.

I'm seeing the device recognized within System Devices and it's not assigned currently

image.png.bbc46332709cbc1a03f8bd6cc87a46c9.png

I'm ultimately looking to assign this to my Plex container as I had before upgrading my hardware (I've got it so I'd like to utilize it)

Any assistance appreciated

unraid-diagnostics-20210302-2253.zip

2 hours ago, fiore00713 said:

I just updated to the latest BIOS and IPMI firmware

I found this message in the logs:

unRAID kernel: NVRM: The system BIOS may have misconfigured your GPU.

and after that message the Nvidia driver fails to initialize.

Have you a option in the BIOS for Resizable BAR support or anything related to BAR support?

Can you also try to boot with Legacy instead of UEFI?

I might need some help, I had nVidia P600 passed through to Plex before the latest build, now its broken.

I cant seem to find the UUID of the GPU now

root@Tower:~# nvidia-smi
Wed Mar  3 20:07:05 2021
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 455.45.01    Driver Version: 455.45.01    CUDA Version: 11.1     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  Quadro P400         Off  | 00000000:0C:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 31%   44C    P0    N/A /  N/A |      0MiB /  2000MiB |      0%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                 |

And i have the drivers installed via the new plugin (used to be an unraid nvidia build i believe)

Seems I have to rebuild plex docker, but cant seem to get the UUID, its not listed in 'info'. Am i doing this wrong? Or missing something?

10 minutes ago, Oxxy said:

I cant seem to find the UUID of the GPU now

Where did you look for it?

Am i doing this wrong?

What have you done by now? Have you followed the instructions from page one?

Can you give me a screenshot from the Plugin page of the Nvidia-Driver?

24 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Where did you look for it?

I found the UUID via the 'GPU Statistics' plugin. Normally its meant to be under the info button at top right in advanced? Its not there. But then i found it in big green obvious text on the appropriate nvidia page.

What have you done by now? Have you followed the instructions from page one?

Yes, i wasnt sure if they were still relevant given i am using the new version of unraid and using the drivers a different way.  But i reinstalled the docker the driver and checked it against the instructions.

Plex settings attached.

The TL;DR is

--runtime=nvidia for extra paramters, and two new variables

NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES  = all

NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES    = GPU-c3a4dc42-57bc-cd6b-67d8-2b6468aed4cd

The docker is now slow to start.

"Can you give me a screenshot from the Plugin page of the Nvidia-Driver?"

Yes, attached.

And thanks for the reply.

plex-settings.PNG

driver version.PNG

6 minutes ago, Oxxy said:

I found the UUID via the 'GPU Statistics' plugin. Normally its meant to be under the info button at top right in advanced? Its not there. But then i found it in big green obvious text on the appropriate nvidia page.

Where should it be? I don't understand what or where you mean...

It's located in the Plugin itself like you posted in the screenshot (this is also described in the first post of this thread).

8 minutes ago, Oxxy said:

The docker is now slow to start.

What do you mean with that? Plex? This has no performance penalty.

Which container do you use, the official Plex?

Yes, i wasnt sure if they were still relevant given i am using the new version of unraid and using the drivers a different way.

What way do you use the drivers?

You speak in riddles, I don't know what way are you using the drivers or what you did differently than others or in the description also is it working now that you find all?

Have you restarted after you installed the Nvidia-Driver Plugin or stopped and restarted the Docker daemon like the description tells you to do?

Hello everyone, 

I have scoured this forum to try to find an answer to this issue, but I can't seem to find it. I just upgraded Unraid to 6.9 and installed the Nvidia Driver plugin. I have tried two GPUs (1650 Super and 1660 Ti) and the driver cannot see my card. This is what I am getting in the log. Any suggestions?

Mar 3 10:40:03 Defiant kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 245

Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 245

Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine was not called for 1 device(s).

Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: NVRM: This can occur when a driver such as:

Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: NVRM: nouveau, rivafb, nvidiafb or rivatv

Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: NVRM: was loaded and obtained ownership of the NVIDIA device(s).

Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: NVRM: Try unloading the conflicting kernel module (and/or

Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: NVRM: reconfigure your kernel without the conflicting

Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: NVRM: driver(s)), then try loading the NVIDIA kernel module

Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: NVRM: again. Mar 3 10:40:04 Defiant kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA devices probed.

24 minutes ago, Reddog1400 said:

Hello everyone, 

I have scoured this forum to try to find an answer to this issue, but I can't seem to find it. I just upgraded Unraid to 6.9 and installed the Nvidia Driver plugin. I have tried two GPUs (1650 Super and 1660 Ti) and the driver cannot see my card. This is what I am getting in the log. Any suggestions?

Can you post your Diagnostics please Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download and drag it in this window.

Are you booting with UEFI or Legacy?

hi @ich777 first thanks for your work around this plugin.  Much appreciated.

I just migrated to 6.9, have installed the new plugin and my containers I used gpu for are already set with the appropriate parameters / variables and settings within plex.  I see the driver version and gpu id within your plugin.  I've also rebooted the server.  I do see other processes (handbrake for example) being shown.

However when using plex, I don't see any attached processes with my video card now.  I am running plex's container (plexinc/pms-docker)

Does this container have issues being seen with the plugin and gpu?

Everything was working pre migration with the deprecated plugin.

Edited by repomanz
23 minutes ago, repomanz said:

However when using plex, I don't see any attached processes with my video card now.  I am running plex's container (plexinc/pms-docker)

Can you give me the output of 'nvidia-smi' also a screenshot from your Nvidia-Driver Plugin and also your Diagnostics Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download and drop it here in the text field.

6 minutes ago, Senjar said:

Is there a way to install the 390.141 Driver with this plugin?

No, what kind of Card do you have and what do you want to do with it?

Have you got a build previously with driver 390.141?

6 minutes ago, leeknight1981 said:

Hi today i upgraded 6.9.0 Stabe BUT i am now unable to install the driver i tried both v455.45.01 and latest = v455.45.01 and once the server re starts there is still No Driver!

What do you mean you see no driver?

A little more explanation would be good, is the Plugin installed?

Have you followed the steps in the first post?

8 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you give me the output of 'nvidia-smi' also a screenshot from your Nvidia-Driver Plugin and also your Diagnostics Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download and drop it here in the text field.

nvidia-smi (i have plex attempting to transcode but not showing)
image.png.4bb841c9903bbf331a7fbfc98b6e41da.png

nvidia plugin

image.thumb.png.c0b25b6be8e84961c6971c16b4c93e32.png

Edited by repomanz
2 minutes ago, repomanz said:

nvidia-smi (i have plex attempting to transcode but not showing)

Please see the first few pages, I think some people got this error too, I think they solved it by reinstalling it or regenerating the token when I remember correctly?

EDIT: But the GPU is working at least for handbrake from what I've see.

33 minutes ago, ich777 said:

No, what kind of Card do you have and what do you want to do with it?

Have you got a build previously with driver 390.141?

I have an old laptop and I want to test if i can run unraid with the gpu GT425M to do some encoding (If it can).
Never tried running nvidia unraid or something similar.
So if this is not possible how bad can things go if I install the drivers manually through unraid terminal? :)

Edited by Senjar
16 minutes ago, Senjar said:

I have an old laptop and I want to test if i can run unraid with the gpu GT425M to do some encoding (If it can).
Never tried running nvidia unraid or something similar.
So if this is not possible how bad can things go if I install the drivers manually through unraid terminal? :)

Please read that post below, I don't think it's worth the effort because the tools/runtimes that are needed to utilze the card in Docker Containers are not compatible with the old driver version:

EDIT: The oldest card you can use with Docker is the Kepler architecture I think this is the GeForce 600 series.