Recommended controllers for Unraid

12 hours ago, shawn0 said:

Can anyone suggest a reliable external HBA that can be flashed to IT mode without making me want to rip my eyeballs out?

The 9200 is usually a good option, might just not be compatible with your server, maybe try the 9300-8e if possible.

I'm planing on building my Unraid temporarily with the following hardware until I can upgrade it to something better:
- Mobo: Asrock Z87 Extreme4

- CPU: i5-4670K

I'm going to use two NVME drives for my cache but this mobo does not have any m.2 ports. So my question is: could I use something like this? Or would it be incompatible or problematic with unraid? If you have a better recommendation, I'm all ears.

PS: I'm just watching this video on bifurcation right now because I think I need my mobo to be compatible with bifurcation. I don't know if it is but I'll find out.

This is in my Asrock Z87 Extreme4 manual
image.thumb.png.d3f61d241f2f36718786f7da062812aa.png

So I guess I could use both the PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots, right?

Edited by s1l3nce
4 hours ago, Aeloth said:

Hello is it possible to use this kontroller LSI SAS 9300-16i???
I'm lost in this so I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can advise. 

Thank you very much.

It looks like the controller card in the description, but if you put it into your cart, the image changes to a break out cable. So, maybe a surprise in what they are actually going to be sending.

This is a interesting thread. I've got an issue with my server not getting to a low C State, reading up things the likely culprit is the LS 9207-8i HBA i'm using. Looking to replace with a recommened 6 Ports 4X PCIe Asmedia ASM1166 card like THIS.

However, i've stumbled across an 8 Port 3.0 SFF8087 on Aliexpress and wondering if any has tried it? Would be a like for like repalcement for my current HBA, which is appealing, but concerned about speeds and quite hard to find any info. It seems to be running a ASMedia1166 chip, but with 8 drive support, presuming some must be via a multiplier.

I found THIS blog post covering a similar looking card, scroll down a bit to the info under 'the following section was added in March 2023'.

TL;DR: Ports 6, 7, and 8 are connected to the ASM1093 port multiplier, which is connected to port 6 of the ASM1166.

Any way, thoughts on disk speeds on the split ports? Any one used one or similar?

10 hours ago, 1471 said:

but with 8 drive support, presuming some must be via a multiplier.

It must be, so not recommended, it's not only a performance issue, these multipliers have a tendency to cause timeouts and drop disks, though in some rare cases they can work mostly OK, except for the bad performance.

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right place but it seems like a good place to start with...I'm having a bit of an issue getting my expansion card to show up, much less load up a disk into UnRaid as an option. I bought the FS-S6-Pro control card (on a recommendation from elsewhere in the forum) with an ASRock Z690 Pro RS. I'd appreciate some assistance...and if this isn't the right place for such questions, directions to a better area would be appreciated.

Hello , today i receive the Broadcom 9300-16i SATA / SAS HBA Controller IT-Mode 12Gb PCIe x8 LSI , with IT mode for Unraid accordingly to seller from ebay.

Now i have doubt regarding power, the board is just powered by the PCI slot ? Or i have to connect 6 pin cable to power it?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 UD. 

On the attached image, i guess it´s a power socket? 

Captura de ecrã 2024-03-13 110541.png

Edited by galego100
36 minutes ago, galego100 said:

have the slot of GPU free, is a better option than the other 2?

Probably, that one will be a CPU slot for sure, not sure about the middle one, you can check the board manual, or post the model.

To work out bandwidth you must look deep within at how you plan to run it.

i.e - '1x minisas --> 4x sata cables' or '1x minisas to 1x minisas' into a backplane that has 12x drives?

What's the most number of drives to be connected & are they spinners or sata ssds?

i.e  - Max read speed in MB of each drive X the number of drives =  your maximum needed bandwidth. Then you see what is practical i.e if you want to keep a graphics card you wouldn't use that slot etc.

Enjoy the new toy.

Edited by dopeytree
  • 3 weeks later...

Found this thread from another where I wanted to purchase a 9300 LSI controller to replace this.   Is this considered a bad controller because it has 10 ports?  I got 2 years ago but still using it and don't have problems, but I need better speed.    I don't think this is Marvel Controller Chipset - Jorge, what do you think of this?  

image.thumb.png.d6010631aab9bffd7983bfb5b83fe2f6.png