[Plugin] Appdata.Backup

4 hours ago, House Of Cards said:

The pretty important use case is that the flash backup is "special", in that most of us store everything on Unraid because that's where our main storage is.

To me ALL the appdata backups need to be copied to another location anyway, so I have scripts to do that and it by default copies the flash backup too. 2 different methods to 2 different locations.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Smackover said:

Hey quick question: what's the best practice on where to store flash backups (assuming you choose a location on the array)? Cache? A specific disk? A share? TIA.

My backup share is the usual Cache Yes so that the backup is created fast and the mover moves it to array a bit later.

Moving all my vm related services to my 2nd unraid server where they live as containers so this plugin is very handy but...

...and maybe I overlook this in the documentation:

I got a couple of non-docker folders and those are quite heavy on reading and writing (syslog, REST-api call and logging those) and they are not backup-ed. Not entirely sure if aappdata is the correct place for those directories (appdata in on a nvme cachepool).

Is there a mechanism that tells the mover to mirror data with the array (or actually sync to the array) instead of moving from or to the array?

Hi @KluthR -- I'm still having some issues with the new appdata backup. Sorry if I'm missing something but below I've added a screenshot of the output of my old backups using CA_Backup plugin and another with the output of the new appdata backup. Am I doing something wrong? Notice how many /appdata/config folders don't seem to be getting backed up. I've also attached the config for you. Thank you.

image.thumb.png.67753d104e7afbb84a22e93a17bf4429.png

image.thumb.png.9696847284eb8db307bb839e6f07d835.png

config.json

I seem to be experiencing an issue with deleting old backups. 

I can see in the log "Delete old backup: /mnt/user/Backup/ab_20231031_063003" however when I check the backup directory the folder "ab_20231031_063003" is still located there with data. Is there anyway to fix this?

448fb441-00a8-4bb0-a629-44984e14e84a

Edited by oct
2 hours ago, sinoserendipity said:

When I backup memos appdata, this application appdata only contains 3 files, memos_prod.db, memos_prod.db-shm, 

memos_prod.db-wal, but appdata backup only backup one file, memos_prod.db, Is there any solution?

Aren’t the last two just temporary files that are not present if the container is not currently running?

• Upvote 1

Hi Guys I have a question. Had a bad power failure last night, power pole on my complex caught fire and power was going crazy. Unraid server was missing alot of dockers this morning, so I initiated the backup from this plugin. selected to restore everything from 2 nights ago. But I'm not sure if i'm supposed to see the restored dockers or not? it appears that all the folders in the appdata folder are there. WIll i need to manually install the dockers again and hope they pickup the right config folders?

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Appdata is one thing, the containers themselves are another.

You didn't need to restore appdata, but need to go in "Previous Apps" on the apps page and reselect/reinstall the containers.

Ahh I didn't see that option. Another thing I found to do which appears to have worked. Is on the docker page I click add container, then I can select a template which seems to relate to all the previous ones that I had. Which is handy because it keeps all the settings etc.

Quick question... I'm looking at what was written to my "Backup destination" path after completing a manual backup to verify it worked and its unclear what I should see there.

image.thumb.png.ba8cf90583b9eadbb02788ffa82538e2.png

I was expecting to find copies of my appdata directories, as well as the VM meta data, and the flash drive.

image.thumb.png.ebce2ed21ac053bf69d249581c0ce9f5.png

Clear enough that it has something for the VM meta data and flash drive.

But are all the .xml just a representation of the appdata paths somehow? I'm guessing not...

I don't see anything else there to indicate the appdata paths successfully backuped up. 
But I don't see anything from the backup script indicating it failed. 

On 11/7/2023 at 1:59 PM, srfnmnk said:

Right, I had it as /mnt/user/appdata and it was doing this same thing so I went ahead and checked each box explicitly hoping it would change something, it did not.

Share a log, not a config. The new plugin only creates archives when there is something to back up.

On 11/7/2023 at 7:09 PM, oct said:

I seem to be experiencing an issue with deleting old backups. 

Thats interesting, because iots deleted as root. Never hat issues with this. Anyway, I dont check the deletion for success, maybe I should. But if you run rm -rf "/mnt/user/SuperPlex Backup/ab_20231031_063003" in a terminal, it should not work as well. Please try and report.

On 11/10/2023 at 11:59 PM, omygolly said:

Is there anyway to have the backup skip all .log files in the appdata folder?

Soon (tm). The newest beta has global exclusion pattern option.

10 hours ago, travvy87 said:

But I'm not sure if i'm supposed to see the restored dockers or not?

No, the templates are being restored (you see that in Docker -> Add container) but not created (yet). Its planned, that a future version re-creates the dockers as they were before.

6 hours ago, snowmirage said:

But are all the .xml just a representation of the appdata paths somehow?

Those xmls are copies of the docker templates.