[Support] - Unifi-Controller: Unifi. Unraid. Reborn.

I have a prior version of the UniFi Controller running on a Ubuntu 22.04 box.  It is not on docker.  

I have installed this docker on UnRaid and it runs. 

I have only two APs running in this home environment.  I want to migrate the APs to this new docker based controller.  

I have tried to move them one at a time. 

I tell the prior to forget an AP and it does.  

The new docker controller sees the AP that was forgotten.  I tell it to adopt it, but it never does.  Adopting……

I tell the prior to adopt it and it does. 

What am I doing wrong?

I even tried hardware reset on the AP but it won’t adopt on the new, but will on the old.  

Firmware on the AP is the latest. 

I am stumped. 

Thanks

Dennis

Edited by DWomack
Grammer
1 hour ago, DWomack said:

I have a prior version of the UniFi Controller running on a Ubuntu 22.04 box.  It is not on docker.  

I have installed this docker on UnRaid and it runs. 

I have only two APs running in this home environment.  I want to migrate the APs to this new docker based controller.  

I have tried to move them one at a time. 

I tell the prior to forget an AP and it does.  

The new docker controller sees the AP that was forgotten.  I tell it to adopt it, but it never does.  Adopting……

I tell the prior to adopt it and it does. 

What am I doing wrong?

I even tried hardware reset on the AP but it won’t adopt on the new, but will on the old.  

Firmware on the AP is the latest. 

I am stumped. 

Thanks

Dennis

Try to do a backup from the ubuntu box, and turn off the ubuntu box and restore the config to the docker instead of the process you are undertaking. 

I am completely new to running UniFi on Docker, and Docker in Unraid, hence the questions.

Do I have to install the Mondo container or is it included in UniFi.Unraid.Reborn?

I have run the Cloud Key, and a RaspberryPi as controllers in the past.  Currently it is running on a Ubuntu 22.04 box.  Short of just shutting down the Ubuntu box, what do I enter at the command line to shut down the running controller?

Edited by DWomack
add info
39 minutes ago, DWomack said:

Do I have to install the Mondo container

No

45 minutes ago, DWomack said:

what do I enter at the command line to shut down the running controller

In unRAID you would just click the docker icon and select “stop”.IMG_2624.thumb.jpeg.fdb735107076bd99611c851f26acd9a0.jpeg

On the command line enter 

docker stop <name of docker>

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, DWomack said:

I am completely new to running UniFi on Docker, and Docker in Unraid, hence the questions.

Do I have to install the Mondo container or is it included in UniFi.Unraid.Reborn?

I have run the Cloud Key, and a RaspberryPi as controllers in the past.  Currently it is running on a Ubuntu 22.04 box.  Short of just shutting down the Ubuntu box, what do I enter at the command line to shut down the running controller?

No you dint need to install a mongodb container. It is included. 

I think you type 

sudo service unifi stop

sudo systemctl disable unifi

6 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

No you dint need to install a mongodb container. It is included. 

I think you type 

sudo service unifi stop

sudo systemctl disable unifi

Thank you for your help on this New Years Day.  

Your suggestion above does stop it on the Ubuntu box.  Likewise 

sudo service unifi start

will start it back up. 

I am still having issues with adopting.  It doesn’t want to adopt.  I think the fly in the ointment is the meshing ability.  When it is trying to adopt it is trying to get there through an AP that hasn’t been adopted.  

How in UniFi can you force wired only?  No meshing at all.  I know meshing can provide some redundancy if wired fails but this ridiculous. 

Dennis

seeing this error now. I had it running for sometime normally. 

# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0xce766b][thread 158 also had an error]
[thread 141 also had an error]
  RuntimeService::record_safepoint_begin(long)+0x1b
#
# No core dump will be written. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /usr/lib/unifi/hs_err_pid1.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   Unknown
#

[error occurred during error reporting (), id 0xb, SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000151d4e589941]

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGBUS (0x7) at pc=0x000014a02887c9f2, pid=1, tid=21
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (17.0.9+9) (build 17.0.9+9-Ubuntu-120.04)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (17.0.9+9-Ubuntu-120.04, mixed mode, sharing, tiered, compressed oops, compressed class ptrs, parallel gc, linux-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0xc7c9f2]  PerfLongVariant::sample()+0x22
#
# No core dump will be written. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
#
#   Unknown
#

[error occurred during error reporting (), id 0xb, SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x000014a0290cd941]

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, ssjucrono said:

seeing this error now. I had it running for sometime normally. 

# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0xce766b][thread 158 also had an error]
[thread 141 also had an error]
  RuntimeService::record_safepoint_begin(long)+0x1b
#
#
#
#   Unknown
#

[error occurred during error reporting (), id 0xb, SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000151d4e589941]

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGBUS (0x7) at pc=0x000014a02887c9f2, pid=1, tid=21
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (17.0.9+9) (build 17.0.9+9-Ubuntu-120.04)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (17.0.9+9-Ubuntu-120.04, mixed mode, sharing, tiered, compressed oops, compressed class ptrs, parallel gc, linux-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0xc7c9f2]  PerfLongVariant::sample()+0x22
#
#
#
#   Unknown
#

[error occurred during error reporting (), id 0xb, SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x000014a0290cd941]

Not sure. Could you restart the docker or not? Check you had disk space available. 

Edited by PeteAsking

Moved over from the LSIO docker yesterday following the instructions in the first post and no issues with the changeover. Only question I have is there a plan to enable a "latest" tag so we can just hit the update button in Unraid rather than modifying the tag to each release number to update?

Also thank you for your work on getting this up and running to replace the current LSIO docker

31 minutes ago, fat said:

Moved over from the LSIO docker yesterday following the instructions in the first post and no issues with the changeover. Only question I have is there a plan to enable a "latest" tag so we can just hit the update button in Unraid rather than modifying the tag to each release number to update?

Also thank you for your work on getting this up and running to replace the current LSIO docker

No this tag will not/does not exist and there are no plans to include it. 

13 minutes ago, chclark said:

How do you upgrade a version just stop the docker  replace the repository line with the new one and start it back up?

You don't actually need to stop the docker. You can just change the repository field and click "Apply".

• Thanks 1
Just now, wgstarks said:

You don't actually need to stop the docker. You can just change the repository field and click "Apply".

Thanks for confirming just wanted to make sure I knew the process as I couldn't see it mentioned. 

3 hours ago, fat said:

is there a plan to enable a "latest" tag

It is very wise that this has not been implemented.  You do not want an automatic update to whatever controller version Ubiquiti just released.  They tend to be in a beta state at best and sometimes have been more like alpha software.  Admittedly, Ubiquiti had gotten much better over the last year or so in releasing more stable controller software; however, it is still best to let any new release stew for a week or two and see what the more adventurous users discover and post in the Ubiquiti forums.  If there are no major problems, @PeteAsking will create a tag for that release which usually means it is safe (mostly) to proceed with the update.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

It is very wise that this has not been implemented.  You do not want an automatic update to whatever controller version Ubiquiti just released.  They tend to be in a beta state at best and sometimes have been more like alpha software.  Admittedly, Ubiquiti had gotten much better over the last year or so in releasing more stable controller software; however, it is still best to let any new release stew for a week or two and see what the more adventurous users discover and post in the Ubiquiti forums.  If there are no major problems, @PeteAsking will create a tag for that release which usually means it is safe (mostly) to proceed with the update.

The expand on this there is a testing process that we undertake on the new container prior to deployment and after before announcing it here on the forum so it has at leased passed a basic quality control check. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1