APCUPSD 3.14.10 Plugin for unRAID 5b11+

Test it out to mkake sure it works. Plug in a high wattage lamp or something similar to a spare outlet, turn off the power, lamp and server will run down the battery, at a given point server should go into sutdownan d be fully shut down while the lamp is still on. once all is shut down the UPS should go down if its set that way and lamp will go out. Turn on Power and check everything works as expected i.e does server come up if thats what you want it to do. If you have mails set up you should have a few at the end of that little test

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought Backup cs-650 works fine. Does it send shutdown signal whenever the battery is going down? Is it clean shutdown?

Install the 'Clean powerdown' from unmenu, and that will be used by the UPS as well on shutdown.

I don't use unmenu. What I have is the simplefeature. Can I stilll get it?

What's the latest APCUPSD to use ?  I'm using the latest SimpleFeatures if that matters.

I've tried a couple of plugin versions and never got it working.  I tried the unmenu package and that works fine.

I imagine if I move to a plugin, I'll need to remove the unmenu package.  That's cool.  But is there anyway I can use the package settings file in the plugin to make sure I can port the working settings across ?

I bought Backup cs-650 works fine. Does it send shutdown signal whenever the battery is going down? Is it clean shutdown?

We cannot tell... only you can test.

Plug a lamp into the UPS, plug the UPS into the wall outlet through an outlet strip,  plug your server directly into the

wall outlet, temporarily bypassing the UPS, then simulate an outage by turning off the switch on the outlet strip.

The UPS should signal the power loss and start a clean shutdown after 5 minutes.    If it works you can plug the server into the UPS instead of the lamp.

Install the 'Clean powerdown' from unmenu, and that will be used by the UPS as well on shutdown.

As the OP states, Clean Powerdown is already installed as part of this plugin.

I noticed a segfault problem while running unraid 5 rc8, APCUPSD 3.14.10 Plugin and a Cyberpower CP1350AVRLCD. Any workarounds? It seems to kill the apcupsd daemon.

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle apcupsd[2223]: apcupsd exiting, signal 15

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle apcupsd[19654]: Valid lock file for pid=2223, but not ours pid=19654

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle apcupsd[19654]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in apcupsd.c at line 285 Failed to acquire device lock file

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle apcupsd[19654]: Valid lock file for pid=2223, but not ours pid=19654

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle apcupsd[19654]: apcupsd error shutdown completed

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle kernel: apcupsd[2223]: segfault at 0 ip 0805e204 sp bfbc33d0 error 4 in apcupsd[8048000+38000]

Joe L. in another thread suggests it's a bug in 3.14.10 with respect to rotation of logs. Others here experiencing similar?

• 3 weeks later...

hi all,

I was wondering if I can use this to also remotely connect from a windows client? I would like to have my windows machine shutdown a second the power goes and let the server stay on as long as possible. The windows pc is not always on but the unraid server is so I would like to use unraid as the ups "server"

thanks

David.

hi all,

I was wondering if I can use this to also remotely connect from a windows client? I would like to have my windows machine shutdown a second the power goes and let the server stay on as long as possible. The windows pc is not always on but the unraid server is so I would like to use unraid as the ups "server"

thanks

David.

Yes, possible. Look at Johnm's useful guide, this is what he's sort of doing:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14695.30

• 3 weeks later...

OK, from memory

Cable - simple (or smart, depends on the UPS and cable used) try it

Battery is the % battery remaining when shutdown is initiated (remember spin up of disks will reduce amount left) so e.e start shutdown when battery has 50% remaining

Mins - same as above but how many mins remaining in the battery

Timeout - shut down if power is off for more than x seconds. If left at 0 then it only works on battery and mins remaining. E.G start shutdown when power has been off for 30 seconds regardless of any other setting. sometimes used if you know when the power goes it goes for a long while, or longer than the UPs will last so why wait for other thersholds to be reached, just shut down

Kill UPS - do you want the UPS to shut down after it has done the server shutdown. From memory i think the suggestion here is yes so that the ups is not drained right down when it is no longer supporting anything

Kill UPS - do you want the UPS to shut down after it has done the server shutdown. From memory i think the suggestion here is yes so that the ups is not drained right down when it is no longer supporting anything

The other reason you want Kill UPS set to yes is that if the power is restored the UPS will not return power to the devices connected.

The other reason you want Kill UPS set to yes is that if the power is restored the UPS will not return power to the devices connected.

Actually, no...

If you did not ask the UPS to power itself down, and the power outage was long enough to trigger a shut-down of unRAID, but not long enough to drain the batteries of the UPS, then when power is restored to the UPS it will simply start to charge itself, but the unRAID server will not re-start itself.  You'll need to do that manually.

If you set the BIOS to power back on in the "last-state", then when power is lost, and the UPS turns itself off after shutting down unRAID, then when power is restored, the power supply in unRAID will power itself back on (the same as the last-state it was in before the server lost power) and unRAID will boot itself.

You'll never even know if the extended power outage, other than seeing the re-start in the syslog.

Joe L.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this plug in installed on my first server. When installing on my newly built server I get the following error.

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/boot/config/plugins/apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1atv.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13

xml parse error

Any ideas as to what could be causing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed a segfault problem while running unraid 5 rc8, APCUPSD 3.14.10 Plugin and a Cyberpower CP1350AVRLCD. Any workarounds? It seems to kill the apcupsd daemon.

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle apcupsd[2223]: apcupsd exiting, signal 15

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle apcupsd[19654]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in apcupsd.c at line 285 Failed to acquire device lock file

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle apcupsd[19654]: apcupsd error shutdown completed

Oct  7 04:40:01 Clara-Belle kernel: apcupsd[2223]: segfault at 0 ip 0805e204 sp bfbc33d0 error 4 in apcupsd[8048000+38000]

Joe L. in another thread suggests it's a bug in 3.14.10 with respect to rotation of logs. Others here experiencing similar?

Yes, I do have the same issue. Would be nice to see a solution.

I have this plug in installed on my first server. When installing on my newly built server I get the following error.

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/boot/config/plugins/apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1atv.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13

xml parse error

Any ideas as to what could be causing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sure sounds like it is trying to tell you the file it is trying to load does not exist

/boot/config/plugins/apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1atv.plg

Does it?

If it does, it is probably corrupt in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am just installing this plugin for the first time on rc10. When I execute

installplg Apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv.plg

installing plugin: Apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv
file /boot/packages/apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1_atv.tgz: downloading from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26185617/apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1_atv.tgz ... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26185617/apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1_atv.tgz:
2013-01-27 11:43:15 ERROR 404: NOT FOUND.
bad download, deleting

Which I guess means the install stuff it needs is no longer in the dropbox.

Is this a temporary glitch or is this plugin no longer supported?

please advise

Jon