Announcing New Unraid OS License Keys

1 minute ago, Dephcon said:

For those of us with a us basic/plus license, how long do we have to upgrade to pro if it's been something we're been putting off?

The blog post contains more information. It says:

Nothing will change with current users, and you will still have the option to upgrade from Basic to Plus/Pro or Plus to Pro.

So I guess there is no time limit.

For what it's worth @limetech, I really like this model. Aquacomputer does something similar with their Aquasuite software - you pay yearly for a subscription to updates, but once you've bought it once, it's yours to use with full functionality (of whatever version you last updated to) forever.

I'm still somewhat concerned about security. Aquacomputer's software is for programming a fan controller. This is a server OS.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This paid model is really nice. It's the same one VanDyke Software uses for their SecureCRT program and it's one I enjoy. I basically bought it once since I haven't needed any of the new features but if I do then I can just grab another year worth of updates and get them.

My only question is, as a current Plus user, will the upgrade price to Lifetime (what is currently Pro) increase or will it stay the current $49?

• Like 1
Just now, Fallwater said:

Plus key user here, when I swap hardware, (never did before) I need to reactivate my key on my new hardware. Is that still possible when the new key scheme is active?

As long as you use the same flash drive on the new hardware you're fine. I've swapped entire motherboards without issue.

• Like 1

Thanks LimeTech for being on the ball and responding quickly to this. A good lesson learned about keeping things away from production I guess when changes are not ready to be announced.

I'll be waiting to see what the actual terms are and I genuinely hope more people will start to use Unraid with the starter tier.

One thing I don't think was addressed in the blog post was maybe a potential upgrade from Starter -> Unleashed or any of the tiers to Lifetime. Might be too early to address but hopefully those options will be available.

Edited by Computron
5 minutes ago, Fallwater said:

Plus key user here, when I swap hardware, (never did before) I need to reactivate my key on my new hardware. Is that still possible when the new key scheme is active?

Don't know where you got that idea. I've swapped hardware many times and never had to reactivate anything since I kept the same flash drive.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, limetech said:

An upcoming version will let you have multiple unRAID arrays though we don't plan on increasing the width of a single unRAID array.  With your Pro key you'll get this update for free 🙂

I bought a license today on this promise. I hope it's soon ;-) 

21 minutes ago, Fanofbpm138_ said:

I'm using a Plus license now, after the update, still I can not use more than 12 drives right? how about the update? still lifetime for previous Plus license?

You Plus key will function the same way it always has.

• Thanks 4
16 minutes ago, Computron said:

One thing I don't think was addressed in the blog post was maybe a potential upgrade from Starter -> Unleashed or any of the tiers to Lifetime. Might be too early to address but hopefully those options will be available.

Yes, this will be possible. More details to come.

16 minutes ago, MatlockQC said:

Needed money, developing and maintaining a software like that is not cheap

The price is already expensive. In 3rd country worlds we can buy months of food easily with one Pro license. I hope to buy one license.

"After a year you have the option of extending the key for another year of updates for a fraction of the cost of the original key"

I do hope it'll be cheap lol

But, this sounds to me really a subscription model, only disguised. Bear with me, who would not want to extend the license to get updates? What if some major bug is found but hey, I didn't extend my license. I would be forced to extend it or I would put my data at risk.

So if buy one Pro key NOW, I would still get updates for life? What if I bought a basic now and then upgrade? Still for life?

Edited by lelejau

Great to see a more sustainable model coming out and a long life ahead for unraid. New terms are more than fair to the existing community and better than could reasonably excepted. Kudos, thank you for a great product and being an even better custodian. 

🏆🏆

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, klogg said:

Great to see a more sustainable model coming out and a long life ahead for unraid. New terms are more than fair to the existing community and better than could reasonably excepted. Kudos, thank you for a great product and being an even better custodian. 

🏆🏆

Thank you. A lot of time, thought and money went into the decision. 

• Thanks 1

Reddit is going wild but seems far more sensible over here. I have a Pro license and in all honesty I'm unlikely to ever need another license and if I did I'd be willing to purchase a year long license as outlined in the post. We can all be brutally honest and say the amount of value we've gotten out of unRAID for the price has been incredible. That being said, it'd be annoying to have to worry about a subscription model or annual license charge. A lifetime option should exist and if you need to increase the price then so be it. Everyone needs to put down the pitch forks.

In future though, please make your announcement before releasing the update for everyone to find and get riled up about. 

Why'd y'all wait until you were called out for hiding it in the code? Seems like a lot of people were ringing the warning bells when Unraid connect was announced and were called paranoid conspiracy theorists. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, that's a damn duck in my book.

Edited by Michael_P
  • Upvote 1